Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Title successfully defended!

28553861458_4f2fc3ca72_b.jpg

It was a 36 hole scratch Medal, honestly I didn't hit the ball all that well but scored very well. Anytime I did hit it close I converted the putt. And short game was also very good.

Annoyingly got nervous and let my body move on a 2 foot par putt to shoot 71 first round and pulled it. ****head. An annoying way to end a solid round and I was a bit annoyed over lunch but determined to go out in the afternoon round and keep the good golf going.

42429390701_7a47855012_b.jpg

2nd round started with a solid par, then SW to 5 feet - birdie, driver 7 iron to 3 feet - birdie.

Birdied 6 from 7 feet, then knocked it on the par 5 7th and 3 putted, grrr. nearly holed a pitch on 9 for tap in birdie. Then chipped in on 11 to go 5 under.

Course record was fully in my mind and I was feeling good, unfortunately I was feeling so good I proceeded to airmail the tricky par 3 12th green with a wedge, I can only put it down to adrenaline? As I don't often hit a wedge 165 carry :( Faced with a bad lie pitching to a tight flag with water the other side, I chunked it, then hit quite a good chip to 5 feet but lipped the putt. Then hit an awful 2 iron off the tee on 13 and made bogey. Hit a bad 4 iron on 14 and head was spinning a bit. Regrouped and focused on the next shot, nearly holed the chip but ran 5 feet past, made that in the middle. Easy par on the tough 15th. Then another bad 2 iron on 16 cost me a bogey, back to -1. 17 is a monster Par 5 but we were playing from the slightly forward tee which enables a really good drive to carry the corner. I took the same route in the 1st round and made birdie, playing it safe with an iron off the tee crossed my mind but said no, stay aggressive and play it as this morning, Hit probably the best drive of the day which flew the corner and rolled out to 318 yards. I then hit 3 wood pin high 15 feet in the fringe and 2 putted for birdie. A routine par on the last and I had defended the title.

My handicap had crept up to 0.5 but I am now 0.0.

Obviously extremely happy especially with how little I've been practicing and playing since the little man has arrived.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Congrats Dave, nicely done! On the second day it sounds like you battled very well through the back nine.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Congrats Dave, nicely done! On the second day it sounds like you battled very well through the back nine.

Nice rounds man.

Thanks guys

Nice work. Though play time will reduce you will find your practise is more focussed given how valuable your time just got!

My Skytrak in the garage helps keep my ball striking going, putting mat for the stroke. I just find that when things are off just now my short game isn't sharp enough to maintain - not that it bothers me - accepting of that right now. If I can keep the left/right miss to a minimum on the <140 the score is still there.

Amazing what a good putting practise routine coupled with being only target focussed on the course can do.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Nice work. Though play time will reduce you will find your practise is more focussed given how valuable your time just got! My Skytrak in the garage helps keep my ball striking going, putting mat for the stroke. I just find that when things are off just now my short game isn't sharp enough to maintain - not that it bothers me - accepting of that right now. If I can keep the left/right miss to a minimum on the <140 the score is still there. Amazing what a good putting practise routine coupled with being only target focussed on the course can do.

Yeah I need to get a new net up and sorted to keep the swing going, think the lack of practice has for sure focused my practice better. Also to an extent when I have hit balls I've used it more as a warm up, just focusing on getting a feel for swinging a club and hitting a ball, rather than analysing every shot.

Congrats!

Thanks

I'd like to give a big shout out to Monte and his short game video series. Short game has always been hit and miss for me. I downloaded the 2.0 series and it has helped me no end.

As long as I keep the upper right arm moving I hit lovely crisp shots, and just using a feel of tossing the ball with my right hand has really helped distance control.

Makes the short game feel very simple and easy to be very confident with it. Would thoroughly recommend anyone to download it and give it a go.

I'd like to give a big shout out to Monte and his short game video series. Short game has always been hit and miss for me. I downloaded the 2.0 series and it has helped me no end.

As long as I keep the upper right arm moving I hit lovely crisp shots, and just using a feel of tossing the ball with my right hand has really helped distance control.

Makes the short game feel very simple and easy to be very confident with it

Would thoroughly recommend anyone to download it and give it a go.

Purchased the drive for dough last weekend and I have just bought the use the bounce 2.0 , I look forward to using it and learning from it

A new taylormade toy will be arriving in the next 2 days :D

Better late than never

42418662382_c60f0ec7a0_h.jpg

41566924915_e1f0d38f83_h.jpg

42418661852_733908498b_h.jpg

28597033438_44e04eb9dd_h.jpg

41566926625_eb9e91441b_h.jpg

Need to get it flattened a few degrees and want to bend it a degree weak to 18*

Just realised this topic had past 100,000 views and 1,000 posts. Hope my madness has helped others!

Something special has been ordered.....

40805910620_8d0d527426.jpg

Iron fitting pt 2, the saga continues....

Finally managed to match up a time to do another fitting for my irons. Started off by hitting my 6 iron, taking out a couple of mishits average carry was 186, the tour issue x100 amt MP 18 averaged 180 and just feels so heavy. Project x 6.5 1/2" long averaged 184 although that may be a little distorted as there were 3 higher carries which were pretty big lefts, so probably nearer 181 average.

I certainly enjoy the feel of the PX shaft more than the x100, although I hit the x100 very straight on a range hitting balls it just didn't fit in with my other clubs or on course distance wise.

So leader is px 6.5 1/2" long however this was still about 5 yards on average shorter than mine. Not exactly sold on the idea as wasn't really that much better dispersion to give up 5 yards.

I then said out of interest can I try the new callaway x forged, sadly all the demo stuff was 7 irons not 6 irons but the results that proceeded were surprising. The new x forged was PXI 6.0 1/2" long, I hit 3 shots with it and they were the 3 best feeling strikes I'd had all session. The numbers were brilliant and longer than my current gamer by 8 yards. Now I've always thought my gamer 7 was a little short but a 174 average with the new ones would fit right in with an upper 180s 6 iron.

So it is now down to some on course testing with the new x forged and the mp-18 w/ px 6.5. Hopefully I can get this done soon and get my new clubs asap as club champs is in 1month. Hopefully the shop can return the irons to mizuno as they were supplied wrong so will all work out nicely. I do absolutely love the look of the MP 18s but perhaps the performance of the new Callaway Forged will be too good to say no?

27800313747_778fa59902_b.jpg

A new taylormade toy will be arriving in the next 2 days :D

Better late than never

42418662382_c60f0ec7a0_h.jpg

41566924915_e1f0d38f83_h.jpg

42418661852_733908498b_h.jpg

28597033438_44e04eb9dd_h.jpg

41566926625_eb9e91441b_h.jpg

Need to get it flattened a few degrees and want to bend it a degree weak to 18*

Hit the UDI for the first time this morning and i absolutely loved it, absolute rockets. Can't wait to get it on the course this afternoon in a match to try it on course but the early signs are very promising. Certainly much better than my old x utility.

Reading this with pure envy - after watching Monte hit 1 iron rockets and reading about you hitting 2 iron rockets I can only sip my extremely well made coffee (I fan do that, darn it!) this morning and reflect on my complete LOFT, lol.

Really enjoy reading about your progress, one of the great progress threads on here.

Heading for the UK next week, hoping just being there will just allow all things golf to be enhanced for me!

Reading this with pure envy - after watching Monte hit 1 iron rockets and reading about you hitting 2 iron rockets I can only sip my extremely well made coffee (I fan do that, darn it!) this morning and reflect on my complete LOFT, lol.

Really enjoy reading about your progress, one of the great progress threads on here.

Heading for the UK next week, hoping just being there will just allow all things golf to be enhanced for me!

Glad you enjoy the read and there is something lovely about a well struck very low lofted iron!

Where abouts in the UK are you heading? playing over here?

Hit it twice on the course in the match and loved it, 1st one was a super tight 360 yard hole tee shot, had 90 yards left. 2nd one again on a tight hole into a slight breeze, I caught slightly toey and still went 240. So far I'm in love.

May well have to weaken it a degree or so as its such a beast.

I know a lot in the p790 udi thread have slated the shaft and it being too light, I personally love how it feels, but as a disclaimer I tend to prefer lighter shafts and love the Hzrdus black in my driver. Will report back once I've used it more but its definitely knocked the x utility 18* out the bag.

42734667011_6d48790bf4_b.jpg

The match we won was the 4th round of a national foursomes competition run by the Daily Mail, every UK club is invited to enter a pair (often the winners of the last summers foursomes knockout), so we are into round 5 which means out of 2,048 we are in the final 128. If you get past round 7, into the final 16, the remaining fixtures take place at a Marriott Hotel and course in Wales.

I didn't drive the ball as well as normal but my irons were like lasers, makes me question whether I new irons will make any difference at all! Especially with club champs in a months time, think I would be best to stick with my current set until after then. would people agree?

Got luck Dave! Couple years ago my local club got down to the final round before the Portugal finals in the Daily Mail team event. It was a great day out but home course advantage edged it. I halved my match which is my claim to fame!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Got luck Dave! Couple years ago my local club got down to the final round before the Portugal finals in the Daily Mail team event. It was a great day out but home course advantage edged it. I halved my match which is my claim to fame!

thanks! my club always seem to get knocked out early in the team one, very impressive getting to the final!

Since the win a couple of weeks ago my swing has felt very funky, felt a bit 'outside' on the backswing then very inside and dumped under coming down. Ball flight had gotten higher, driver hitting a lot of slight push fades, irons struggling with toe and slightly heavy strikes. But generally had managed it and the misses hadn't been too bad.

Until Saturday.... wow it was bad. all the misses amplified. the only good thing was that my short game was brilliant. I'm glad it happened now because ive got 3 weeks until club championship so gives me a short window to knuckle down and erase some sloppiness that has crept in.

I took video after the round and was shocked at how vertical the club was in the backswing, how across the line it was and how little depth I had. No wonder I was then having to massively get dumped under in order to try and hit the ball somewhat to target.

42824167142_738be44003_h.jpg

42154416114_178477e079_h.jpg

Wow.......funky timing. I hit a couple off the planet right going right drives and this is what I've put it down to, arms moving out in takeaway, lack of depth

......though I hadn't worked out the dumped under part - assuming the leads to open face or flips?

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Wow.......funky timing. I hit a couple off the planet right going right drives and this is what I've put it down to, arms moving out in takeaway, lack of depth

......though I hadn't worked out the dumped under part - assuming the leads to open face or flips?

yeah coming too far inside with too much secondary tilt so either face stays open or get flippy

A few putts on my visio putting mat this morning showed why I missed so many putts left on Saturday, pull central!

A few putts on my visio putting mat this morning showed why I missed so many putts left on Saturday, pull central!

[media=]

[/media]

had the same issue- went to a TPI coach last week, used this (and SAMM putt lab) to find every shot was a pull with open face, no wonder I can miss from 2 feet!! useful tool the visio mat, looks obvious but it works, good luck

[media=]

[/media]

had the same issue- went to a TPI coach last week, used this (and SAMM putt lab) to find every shot was a pull with open face, no wonder I can miss from 2 feet!! useful tool the visio mat, looks obvious but it works, good luck

yes doesn't sound like a great combo that. sam is very good.

it is a very useful tool, think I might fix it to a board so I can use it at home indoors. Would be a lot more beneficial to me as I rarely get to use it on an actual green.

Won my scratch knockout match last night to get into the quarter finals, hit the ball a little better but still nowhere near good enough. Thankfully my short game was unreal and I got up and down from everywhere, including one of the greatest shots I've ever played.

Pin was back left on the green but just short of the very small back tier, I missed long and right, sitting down a bit and probably about a 15 yard shot, opened the face up and used the right hand, flopped it perfectly to the top of the slope and it trickled down to 2 inches.

Using my right hand to feel the speed in the short game has helped no end with speed and distance control, thank you Monte's use the bounce 2.0!

Got me wondering whether I should start feeling my right hand controlling the speed putting too?

Have sent a lesson video off to AMG to hear their thoughts on how to get my swing back on track.

Since the win a couple of weeks ago my swing has felt very funky, felt a bit 'outside' on the backswing then very inside and dumped under coming down. Ball flight had gotten higher, driver hitting a lot of slight push fades, irons struggling with toe and slightly heavy strikes. But generally had managed it and the misses hadn't been too bad.

Until Saturday.... wow it was bad. all the misses amplified. the only good thing was that my short game was brilliant. I'm glad it happened now because ive got 3 weeks until club championship so gives me a short window to knuckle down and erase some sloppiness that has crept in.

I took video after the round and was shocked at how vertical the club was in the backswing, how across the line it was and how little depth I had. No wonder I was then having to massively get dumped under in order to try and hit the ball somewhat to target.

42824167142_738be44003_h.jpg

42154416114_178477e079_h.jpg

Is your depth really that bad at the top? How much more are you looking for?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black