2018 USWO

KBong

So, who is everyone picking to be in contention/win this thing.

It seems Moriya and Ariya basically contend about every time they tee it up anymore. In Bee and Shanshan hit a lot of fairways and greens, but will wet conditions favor more length?

I haven't seen anything from Lexi so far this year to male me think she will be in it, but never know with her, needs to putt.

Sung Hyun is very up and down, missed cut/win/missed cut, but the game, if on, will be right there. In Gee looking better and better recently, could she have 3 Majors, and no regular tour wins?

Brooke has some length, and can make some birdies, if mistakes are minimized, could see her competing for the win.

I am going with Jin Young Ko, think it would be 3 of the last 4 years a Korean Rookie won the US Open if she did. She seems to minimize the mistakes. Can Heyjin Choi repeat some of the magic from last year?

I can't wait for it to start, hope the weather eases so we can see 4 days.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member). With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year. I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow? Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following. Any ideas? thanks

99% of the players are nice.

If the the 2 kids are into autographs, trying to get a signed ball or glove or picture...after the rd....some friendlier players include:

Lexi, Sandra Gal, Azahara, In Gee Chun, So Yeon Ryu, Chella Choi, Brooke.

For you own viewing and players you won't often see nowadays....I'd go watch amateur Lucy Li and KLPGA star HyeJin Choi (she finished 2nd last year at the USWO).

My pick is a certain player with a nickname from a flying baby elephant. She has won the USWO before, and has won the Evian in awful conditions. If the weather forecast holds, she seems to be able to stay focused, stay out of the wet rough, and make birdies on slower (wet) greens.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

My pick is a certain player with a nickname from a flying baby elephant. She has won the USWO before, and has won the Evian in awful conditions. If the weather forecast holds, she seems to be able to stay focused, stay out of the wet rough, and make birdies on slower (wet) greens.

Duh....thanks Captain Obvious & Mr. Bias with the Dumbo ears/head dress in your avatar with In Gee V1, you know...the one with LONG hair. :taunt:

xbod9U5.gif

It seems Moriya and Ariya basically contend about every time they tee it up anymore. In Bee and Shanshan hit a lot of fairways and greens, but will wet conditions favor more length?

I haven't seen anything from Lexi so far this year to male me think she will be in it, but never know with her, needs to putt.

Sung Hyun is very up and down, missed cut/win/missed cut, but the game, if on, will be right there. In Gee looking better and better recently, could she have 3 Majors, and no regular tour wins?

Brooks has some length, and can make some birdies, if mistakes are minimized, could see her competing for the win.

I am going with Jin Young Ko, think it would be 3 of the last 4 years a Korean Rookie won the US Open if she did. She seems to minimize the mistakes. Can Heyjin Choi repeat some of the magic from last year?

I mostly agree with your analysis

BUT

With the weather being a gong show and an unpredictable weather forecast....I'm going with a winner outside your choices and a winner where many might consider a dark horse.

Brooks has some length, and can make some birdies, if mistakes are minimized, could see her competing for the win.

I mostly agree with your analysis

BUT

With the weather being a gong show and an unpredictable weather forecast....I'm going with a winner outside your choices and a winner where many might consider a dark horse.

SYR?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

SYR?

No.....I don't consider SYR a dark horse.

BETHANY Lang was a dark horse.

I think dark horses who no one is talking about and 3 players who have played ok in the last couple/few events include:

Nasa

Megan Khang

Carlota.

Because we are in North America...no one here is talking about KLPGA's Lucky 6....I think she's a dark horse to pull it off.

Hye Jin Choi finished 2nd in the 2017 USWO....I consider her a borderline dark horse....some might consider her a bit of a favorite....she hasn't light it up on the KLPGA this year where many had anticipated.

EDIT...just a side note...what I said above is meaningless....why?....current form in golf means NOTHING.

One day you play well....the next day you're ready to quit the game....don't believe me....look in this forum and you'll always have threads where many are ready to quit the game....only to play twice 2 days later on the weekend.

SYR?

No.....I don't consider SYR a dark horse.

BETHANY Lang was a dark horse.

I think dark horses who no one is talking about and 3 players who have played ok in the last couple/few events include:

Nasa

Megan Khang

Carlota.

Because we are in North America...no one here is talking about KLPGA's Lucky 6....I think she's a dark horse to pull it off.

Hye Jin Choi finished 2nd in the 2017 USWO....I consider her a borderline dark horse....some might consider her a bit of a favorite....she hasn't light it up on the KLPGA this year where many had anticipated.

EDIT...just a side note...what I said above is meaningless....why?....current form in golf means NOTHING.

One day you play well....the next day you're ready to quit the game....don't believe me....look in this forum and you'll always have threads where many are ready to quit the game....only to play twice 2 days later on the weekend.

I don't consider her that either, but like a lot of the top players, been up and down. I think this is wide open to be honest, just hoping for decent weather.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I don't consider her that either, but like a lot of the top players, been up and down. I think this is wide open to be honest, just hoping for decent weather.

Agree.

USGA Facebook has a hour video of the practice rd today.

A lot of bare brown patches due to a lousy growing season.

Considering the USGA likely has been at Shoal Creek for the last 12-24 months...one would think actions/resources would have been employed to minimize these bare brown patches....they'll need a lot of white spray cans to mark these areas as GUR.

This USWO will be the opposite of the 2015 USO Clown Show at Chambers Bay ( I attended the Tues practice rd) with a baked out course with cauliflower/broccoli greens with fescue and poa anna.....Shoal Creek will be a wet 'chocolate' mess.

Based on the video...I gotta to believe...lift, clean & CHEAT will not be employed.

As usual I'm backing IK. Close # 2 just last week, and I think she can handle bad conditions. The British Open was soggy too. I honestly think this could be a good set up for her. But I'm biased. From the interview last week, It sounded like her clubs are still not really settled from the stolen bag caper.

I'd love to see In Gee too, get her Major Queen magic going! I don't know if she's had the body of good tournaments this year that sometimes leads up to a win yet, though. But I think this is the most hopeful it's been this year.

Ariya is a solid choice too.

Predicting is so hard... Hope the weather works out.

Thanks for the link to Tiffany's posts. Love her humor and outlook. The first one about the rain this season is just too perfect!

Oh no, coverage is on FOX? It's not Joe Buck is it?

No, please no, no, God no, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes, the coverage is on FOX. I believe it's Fox Sports 1 today and tomorrow, and the local FOX affiliate on the weekend. Set your DVRs accordingly.

The radar looks clear. The forecast call for a 50% chance of t-storms at 10 am and 2 pm.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0