Practice Green etiquette

Never understood the taking the pins out of the hole on the practice green thing.
See the hole as u would on course.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Never understood the taking the pins out of the hole on the practice green thing.

Outside of 3' you shouldn't even be looking at the hole, some guys can putt that way but it's not for most.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Outside of 3' you shouldn't even be looking at the hole, some guys can putt that way but it's not for most.

I'm just saying - that's the reasoning. Not saying I care either way.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I take the flag out for my short putts so I can here the ball hit the hole like you would on the course. Just a mental prep thing more than the physical properties of not having a flag.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

I take the flag out for my short putts so I can here the ball hit the hole like you would on the course. Just a mental prep thing more than the physical properties of not having a flag.

I can see that but most people that I see that do this are well outside 6'

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

can i ask -

Why is it a big deal that they take the pin out, if you're not even putting to that hole in the first place? do they not put it back or something when they're done? or are you (or anyone else objecting to taking the flag out) offended or something that they do this?

not trying to pick a fight, genuine curiosity.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Just don’t be the guy that thinks it’s mini golf and wants to putt to every hole.

Thank you.

That's not a problem...it's the guy "playing the course" that gets mad when you obstruct his "course" that's the problem.

Yes that’s what I meant, but explained poorly.

Also didn’t love the guy hitting flop shots off the fringe in my near vicinity. I don’t care how good you are, no one is above blading one of those into someone’s skull.

can i ask -

Why is it a big deal that they take the pin out, if you're not even putting to that hole in the first place? do they not put it back or something when they're done? or are you (or anyone else objecting to taking the flag out) offended or something that they do this?

The pins don't get put back in at times.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

can i ask -

The pins don't get put back in at times.

so, it's not that you don't understand the reasoning of taking pins out while practicing, you just don't appreciate it when people fail to put flags in if they take them out. got it. i agree with you there, it grinds my gears when people don't put them back as well.

whenever kids or youngins do it (i'm 33 but, hs kids are notorious for doing it), i make it a teaching point to say 'hey, remember other golfers are using the green too and use the pins to help get the balls out of the hole when they're done, please put it back when you're done' ---- goes a long way and they usually remember next time.

** Growing the game is about teaching those who might not otherwise know. there are a few times in this thread where, if people/members took objections to things and voiced them in a teaching manner instead of angst, it might go further. whoever you teach might be inclined to listen more to help or guidance than anger -- and also more inclined to teach others.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I'm just saying - that's the reasoning. Not saying I care either way.

I sometimes pull the flag out of the hole and set it on the fridge out of the way when I'm putting on that particular hole. Others are welcome to putt to that hole as I try to stay out of everybody's way. The reason I do it is as was mentioned, it best mimics on course situations.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

]**[/b]Growing the game is about teaching those who might not otherwise know. there are a few times in this thread where, if people/members took objections to things and voiced them in a teaching manner instead of angst, it might go further. whoever you teach might be inclined to listen more to help or guidance than anger -- and also more inclined to teach others.

Well said. Had a teenager sail one over my head while I was walking from the green to the next tee. Had a quiet conversation with him about it. He was very receptive. He didn't do it on purpose, no reason to get angry about it.

1. Do you putt to the same hole that someone else is already putting to?

Sure, if the green is busy we all have to share holes.

2. On a busy green, is it ok to set up camp at one hole or should you rotate out?

Absolutely. Just don't be a c0ck about it and expect no one else to use that hole. If the green is not busy, that is the time for the string drills and clock drills, but don't do that when the green is busy. Practicing putting with three or four balls at one and only one hole? Fine. Commandeering one hole with a dozen or more balls? Not fine.

3. Do you limit the distance of your putts?

On a busy green, yes, typically one has to, just for logistics / geography.

4. Assuming chipping is allowed, do you ever hit chips onto a busy green if everyone else is just putting?

Never! Not on a busy green. If the green is not busy, go ahead and chip away. Note: CHIPPING is very different from PITCHING. Unless it is expressly permitted, I do not believe hitting pitches, flop shots, etc. onto the putting green is ever acceptable. If chipping is allowed, chip. The Phil Mickelson flop shot is not chipping.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Like others have said, when it’s busy I find a corner by myself and putt to a tee. I also do that when I’m working on putting by myself on an empty practice green as it fine tunes my aim.

Before I play though, I’ll practice several short “second” putts into a hole with the flag out. I want to make sure I’m confident with 2-4 footers and I like to hear the ball drop in the cup.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I joined a private club this year and so far everything's been aces. The only d_ck move I've seen so far has been a visiting student team player on the practice green. There are four holes cut and a few plug flags. Using the putting green was me, a lady and this high school preppy kid.

He took the flag out of two of the holes and layed them down close to the hole blocking them from our direction and proceeded to putt back and forth the 15ft between the two holes forcing me and the lady to share the two remaining holes.

If I wasn't a new member I'd likely have asked him WTF he thought he was doing. That was incredibly selfish and rude.

Whether new or not...you are a MEMBER of the course and the teen is a GUEST....you should have put the pins back in and told him he's rude and selfish.

My favorite is the guy that putts from one hole while basically standing on top of or right next to another hole. Even if there is no else out there, I always try to make sure I'm not blocking off more than one hole at a time.

I never fail to be shocked at how oblivious to others some people can be.

This is exactly what I was going to say...amazing how many people do this.

Just move 5-6' away before you putt to the next hole!

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

A few random putting green questions that primarily only apply to crowded greens.

2. On a busy green, is it ok to set up camp at one hole or should you rotate out?

4. Assuming chipping is allowed, do you ever hit chips onto a busy green if everyone else is just putting?

For number 3, a good drill is to putt to the fringe. It's a good way to be able to practice a few longer putts when it is crowded. No worry about line, just try to get it as close to the fringe without touching it.

I joined a private club this year and so far everything's been aces. The only d_ck move I've seen so far has been a visiting student team player on the practice green. There are four holes cut and a few plug flags. Using the putting green was me, a lady and this high school preppy kid.

He took the flag out of two of the holes and layed them down close to the hole blocking them from our direction and proceeded to putt back and forth the 15ft between the two holes forcing me and the lady to share the two remaining holes.

If I wasn't a new member I'd likely have asked him WTF he thought he was doing. That was incredibly selfish and rude.

So you’re a member of a private club, some visiting student pulls a d*ck move and you say nothing?? Wow

I'll putt/chip to any hole or to a tee and try to one up anybody who dares challenge me. 40 footers to 4 footers. It's great for dialing in feel before starting my round. Not being a d*k about it. Just trying to beat the whole putting green posse. See some dufus wearing headphones hogging a cup with 10 balls putting from one spot on a crowded green whose been there over 10 mins and I'm going right to his hole and dropping gems on 'em. I'm not walking on lines or getting in people's way. Do one lap around the green from various lengths and then I'm done.

You should always practice from different spots on every putt anyways. Take dead aim. It should only take 10 mins max. People who hog the green all day are the selfish a*holes.

I'll putt/chip to any hole or to a tee and try to one up anybody who dares challenge me. 40 footers to 4 footers. It's great for dialing in feel before starting my round. Not being a d*k about it. Just trying to beat the whole putting green posse. See some dufus wearing headphones hogging a cup with 10 balls putting from one spot on a crowded green whose been there over 10 mins and I'm going right to his hole and dropping gems on 'em. I'm not walking on lines or getting in people's way. Do one lap around the green from various lengths and then I'm done.

You should always practice from different spots on every putt anyways. Take dead aim. It should only take 10 mins max. People who hog the green all day are the selfish a*holes.

"Not being a d*k about it."

You may have failed your intention?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It's so refreshing to see someone who is paying attention and making a sincere effort at treating golfers well. Thank you Sir.

It's depressing that this stands out....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

My responses are in blue....

A few random putting green questions that primarily only apply to crowded greens.

1. Do you putt to the same hole that someone else is already putting to? If a player is working on basic alignment, no. If player is "going around the circuit," yes.

2. On a busy green, is it ok to set up camp at one hole or should you rotate out? If it's the hole that's down in the low spoon and popular for lag and breaking putts, no.

3. Do you limit the distance of your putts? Just by warm-up routine, I will do a few long putts just to see how the green is running (hopefully same as those on the course. Mostly, I'm doing 15 feet or less.

4. Assuming chipping is allowed, do you ever hit chips onto a busy green if everyone else is just putting? Shorter 8i chip and run, yes. But, I don't hit wedges (even chip shots) with lots of traffic around.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Growing the game is about teaching those who might not otherwise know. there are a few times in this thread where, if people/members took objections to things and voiced them in a teaching manner instead of angst, it might go further. whoever you teach might be inclined to listen more to help or guidance than anger -- and also more inclined to teach others.

these are a few master jedi-level words right here^^.

well done.

and i 100% agree.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played Monday evening. This practice green is very difficult and gets some traffic from locals either practicing their putting or gambling. A couple guys in work boots, jeans, and t-shirts are at it often. They allow chipping. Saw a guy warming up to go out and play blade two chips across the green. After the first time, he nervously joked that it was a good thing no one's ankle got broken. After the second time he didn't say anything; just put his wedge back in this bag.

1. Yes, especially if they are decent length putts

2. Yes

3. No, but avoid other lines

4. Sure but make sure no one is in line of fire of a thin bullet

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

> @bazinky said:

> My favorite is the guy that putts from one hole while basically standing on top of or right next to another hole. Even if there is no else out there, I always try to make sure I'm not blocking off more than one hole at a time.

>

>

>

> I never fail to be shocked at how oblivious to others some people can be.

^^^^^^ This.

I revived this old thread because if a search didn't find this comment I was going to start one.

Ever since I started playing I have been annoyed with folks that do this and wondered if it was just me. I've gotten to the point on a busy green I just putt to that hole anyway and if balls rolling past them is an issue tough s***.

Saturday tee off was delayed because of frost delay so had some time just waiting around to tee off. I watched the practice green for a while just to see how many would putt to a hole, pull the balls out and stand on top of that hole to hit to another. This was a busy green as lots of people had an extra 30 minutes. Literally 90 percent did this!!!

Is it just me and bazinky that sees this as a problem?

Rant over.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @sprcoop said:

> > @bazinky said:

> > My favorite is the guy that putts from one hole while basically standing on top of or right next to another hole. Even if there is no else out there, I always try to make sure I'm not blocking off more than one hole at a time.

> >

> >

> >

> > I never fail to be shocked at how oblivious to others some people can be.

> ^^^^^^ This.

> I revived this old thread because if a search didn't find this comment I was going to start one.

>

> Ever since I started playing I have been annoyed with folks that do this and wondered if it was just me. I've gotten to the point on a busy green I just putt to that hole anyway and if balls rolling past them is an issue tough s***.

>

> Saturday tee off was delayed because of frost delay so had some time just waiting around to tee off. I watched the practice green for a while just to see how many would putt to a hole, pull the balls out and stand on top of that hole to hit to another. This was a busy green as lots of people had an extra 30 minutes. Literally 90 percent did this!!!

>

> Is it just me and bazinky that sees this as a problem?

> Rant over.

>

Hit them in the foot with the ball enough times and they might take the hint. I learned not to stand on top of the hole literally the first time I ever played on a real golf course. I stood on top of the hole and my friend told me not to do that so that others could use the hole, too.