2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Have played the AVX a few rounds now and as much as I hate to do it, there's no way I can continue to play it.

It's hands down the best ball i've ever hit off the driver. It's easily a few yards longer than Chrome Soft, ProV1, ProV1X ect for me off of Driver, 3W and my long hybrids. The feel is outstanding off the long clubs and its obvious right away its lower spinning and lower compression. Around the greens, i'd say it falls somewhere in between the ProV's and the old NXT lines. Feels amazing off of short wedges and even better off the putter face.

The problem is, the ball has wrecked my approach game. I went back to shovels this year playing the 718 AP1's which are low spinning to begin with, and when paired with the AVX my dispersion is poor at best. It's the same issue I see when I've tried to play the Callaway Supersoft. A slight difference in strike on a 7 iron could be the difference in a 175 yard low spin bomb that flies over the green, or the desired drop and stop 160 yard high trajectory shot i like to hit.

Back to Back weekends i have switched on the back 9 of my round from AVX to ChromeSoft and immediately my iron dispersion and accuracy improved.

I hate that. I love everything about this ball and really was hoping it would be a game changer for me as I had heard so many positive results. Perhaps if i go back to a more players type iron that produces better spin I can put the AVX back in the bag. For now, it'll be assigned to duty in Captains Choice 4 man scrambles where I need long straight drives and not much else for my team.

Have played the AVX a few rounds now and as much as I hate to do it, there's no way I can continue to play it.

It's hands down the best ball i've ever hit off the driver. It's easily a few yards longer than Chrome Soft, ProV1, ProV1X ect for me off of Driver, 3W and my long hybrids. The feel is outstanding off the long clubs and its obvious right away its lower spinning and lower compression. Around the greens, i'd say it falls somewhere in between the ProV's and the old NXT lines. Feels amazing off of short wedges and even better off the putter face.

The problem is, the ball has wrecked my approach game. I went back to shovels this year playing the 718 AP1's which are low spinning to begin with, and when paired with the AVX my dispersion is poor at best. It's the same issue I see when I've tried to play the Callaway Supersoft. A slight difference in strike on a 7 iron could be the difference in a 175 yard low spin bomb that flies over the green, or the desired drop and stop 160 yard high trajectory shot i like to hit.

Back to Back weekends i have switched on the back 9 of my round from AVX to ChromeSoft and immediately my iron dispersion and accuracy improved.

I hate that. I love everything about this ball and really was hoping it would be a game changer for me as I had heard so many positive results. Perhaps if i go back to a more players type iron that produces better spin I can put the AVX back in the bag. For now, it'll be assigned to duty in Captains Choice 4 man scrambles where I need long straight drives and not much else for my team.

After about 7-8 playing AVX I've had less trouble with lower short-game spin than I expected. That's mostly down to the fact I don't *plan* on getting tons of grab, I either allow the ball to roll out or I use elevation to stop it. No low spinners for me.

But once every couple of rounds I will have an inexplicable "flyer" type shot with a 7, 8 or 9 iron. The kind of shot that feels perfect, looks perfect in the air and flies about 6-8 yards longer than I'd think I could possibly hit that club.

I had been chalking it up to inconsistency of my swing but the past few weeks I've decided the lower spin of AVX (along with my hot-faced Ping G irons) is just teaming up to cause a few of those shots here and there.

I'm still a huge AVX fan and on balance it's easily the best ball for my game. I can live with one out of every 20 or so short-iron shots flying too far but I do need to remember not to try and fly a 8-iron all the way to the back edge of the green if there's trouble long.

I saw some AVX to at Golftown and as much as I wanted to get a dozen to play, I will not pay $64.99 for these balls.

I don't pay that much for Pro V's when I do happen to buy them, so to me, this smacks of gouging by someone.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Handicap has now dropped from 11.8 to 5.5 since I’ve put the AVX into play after 22 rounds. I’ve got to think it’s been a game changer for me personally. Would love to put a ProV against it for 20 rounds. I think I can almost say with certainty my scores would go back up without the AVX in play.

Could not possibly disagree more that the AVX is the reason for your handicap dropping by more than 50% from 12. There is not one urethane ball ever that would make scores change that much. 98% in your head, which can work in its own right but once your game slips up a bit you’ll realize it’s not the ball. Could it be responsible for cutting curve by 5-10% coming from the ProV, sure maybe I’ll go along with that. Is it responsible for 5-10 yards off the driver? Ok sure but that doesn’t equal over 6 strokes off a handicap

Read above, once again, I never said the AVX was the sole reason for my handicap drop. I’ll repeat, there are several reasons why it’s dropped. However, I’d bet farm ground that my handicap would go up if I was to game a ProV over the AVX let’s say over 20 rounds. Call it a head thing and throw your data at me if you wish. I speak from experience and that’s all I can relay.

On a side note; 5-10 yards on our narrow course is substantial quite often. Once again, I never said the AVX equates to the sole factor of my handicap drop. I simply stated my handicap drop and that the AVX was in play since the beginning of steady improved rounds. Multitudes of factors, but the AVX is here to stay. It flies straighter, goes farther, control, and with all of that breeds confidence.

Everyone entitled to their own opinion so I will agree to disagree. There is not that big of a difference between the pro V and avx, it’s equal to the difference between the v1 and v1x and I’ve never heard anyone say they are using the ProV but there scores would go up if they used the v1x.

Sounds silly trying to tell you what’s going on with your game, which I’m not trying to do just simply do not believe your scores would go up one bit using pro V. As you said it is a mental thing which will fade when you slip into a bit of a funk as we all do and realize it’s not the ball

Handicap has now dropped from 11.8 to 5.5 since Iâve put the AVX into play after 22 rounds. Iâve got to think itâs been a game changer for me personally. Would love to put a ProV against it for 20 rounds. I think I can almost say with certainty my scores would go back up without the AVX in play.

Could not possibly disagree more that the AVX is the reason for your handicap dropping by more than 50% from 12. There is not one urethane ball ever that would make scores change that much. 98% in your head, which can work in its own right but once your game slips up a bit youll realize its not the ball. Could it be responsible for cutting curve by 5-10% coming from the ProV, sure maybe Ill go along with that. Is it responsible for 5-10 yards off the driver? Ok sure but that doesnt equal over 6 strokes off a handicap

Read above, once again, I never said the AVX was the sole reason for my handicap drop. Ill repeat, there are several reasons why its dropped. However, Id bet farm ground that my handicap would go up if I was to game a ProV over the AVX lets say over 20 rounds. Call it a head thing and throw your data at me if you wish. I speak from experience and thats all I can relay.

On a side note; 5-10 yards on our narrow course is substantial quite often. Once again, I never said the AVX equates to the sole factor of my handicap drop. I simply stated my handicap drop and that the AVX was in play since the beginning of steady improved rounds. Multitudes of factors, but the AVX is here to stay. It flies straighter, goes farther, control, and with all of that breeds confidence.

Everyone entitled to their own opinion so I will agree to disagree. There is not that big of a difference between the pro V and avx, its equal to the difference between the v1 and v1x and Ive never heard anyone say they are using the ProV but there scores would go up if they used the v1x.

Sounds silly trying to tell you whats going on with your game, which Im not trying to do just simply do not believe your scores would go up one bit using pro V. As you said it is a mental thing which will fade when you slip into a bit of a funk as we all do and realize its not the ball

I was a ProV user for years. You advised I said an AVX was the sole reason for my handicap drop; this I did not say. Has the AVX aided in me shooting lower scores? Absolutely, and to a degree. Call it a great combo with the new equipment, confidence, mental toughness, etc. But having the AVX in play, mental or not, has me playing the best golf of my life (from a consistent scores standpoint, that’s how I gauge progress; 23 rounds = worst score 87, best scores 70’s). When the ProV was in my bag all these years the handicap was not as good. Call it a coincidence if you’d like; I’m simply stating what is happening.

Like I said, the ball is not the sole reason, but it’s certainly aided my road to better scoring when paired with other changes I’ve made. That’s not to say the AVX is going to work for everyone because it’s not going to. There are many factors involved. Once again, its not just a golf ball as you assume I think. But I do believe the ball can contribute significantly to ones game when paired correctly.

In my second post I did not say that the avx was the sole reason for your handicap drop I was just stating that I don’t even think it’s responsible for 1-2 strokes off that handicap. But as I mentioned it seems silly trying to tell you what is going on with your game so I will leave it as that and just agree to disagree a bit on this, which is fine lol.

In my second post I did not say that the avx was the sole reason for your handicap drop I was just stating that I dont even think its responsible for 1-2 strokes off that handicap. But as I mentioned it seems silly trying to tell you what is going on with your game so I will leave it as that and just agree to disagree a bit on this, which is fine lol.

Fair enough. Fired another high 79 with the AVX today.

Here’s the thing. If I game a ProV, I know good and well it is going to spin more, thus knocking down short irons into greens forcing me to get up and down more often. Whereas I’m another club closer into the greens with the AVX; personally, I’d rather have PW, or 9 in my hands rather than an 8 iron. The distance gain I get off the tee with driver and irons gives me at least another club closer most of the time. Proximity to the hole I feel I’m gaining at least another shot per 9. Whether I make that up with a longer drive or shorter iron/wedge shot; one of the two has seemed to pull through. As I’ve said though, this could be in combination with all new equipment as well. But either way, the AVX gets me closer in proximity than a ProV would.

I don’t feel the AVX would be beneficial for all as I feel the ProV travels just as far as the AVX for some. But I gotta keep on. Playing too well to consider switching at this point.

I got a sleeve today at the course and played 18 with them. I really didn’t notice much difference from the pro v1. Ball flight and distance looked similar. Maybe on a launch monitor there would be a difference but I was hitting from all the same spots off the tee and the irons were the same. Only thing that seemed different was irons into the green. The ball seemed to have a little less bite than the pro v 1 but it could also be the greens were hard and sandy. Overall very similar to the pro v 1.

Maybe it's just inevitable if we play golf long enough and try enough different golf balls we'll fall into the trap of thinking we've found a special one, different than all the rest. Maybe.

But if I'm fooling myself I'm doing a pretty good job. It's now been eight months and a hundred rounds of golf with the AVX and every time I've gone back and played a ProV1x or tried a K-Sig or whatever for a couple rounds the difference is obvious.

For all my life-long agnosticism about hacks like me being able to distinguish differences among similar type golf balls, I'm now a believer. Just about every single aspect of AVX suits me perfectly and the added driving distance is very real and meaningful. Probably a good 8-10 yards on average. It's as if some engineer had quantified everything about my golf game and designed a ball around what works best for me.

It's funny, when I grabbed a sleeve of them in the proshop to try all I was hoping for or expecting was a good-performing Urethane ball with a yellow cover. I'd literally never heard of AVX until I saw them that day and the pro told me, "Here's some yellow Pro-V's for you, at last".

Maybe it's just inevitable if we play golf long enough and try enough different golf balls we'll fall into the trap of thinking we've found a special one, different than all the rest. Maybe.

But if I'm fooling myself I'm doing a pretty good job. It's now been eight months and a hundred rounds of golf with the AVX and every time I've gone back and played a ProV1x or tried a K-Sig or whatever for a couple rounds the difference is obvious.

For all my life-long agnosticism about hacks like me being able to distinguish differences among similar type golf balls, I'm now a believer. Just about every single aspect of AVX suits me perfectly and the added driving distance is very real and meaningful. Probably a good 8-10 yards on average. It's as if some engineer had quantified everything about my golf game and designed a ball around what works best for me.

It's funny, when I grabbed a sleeve of them in the proshop to try all I was hoping for or expecting was a good-performing Urethane ball with a yellow cover. I'd literally never heard of AVX until I saw them that day and the pro told me, "Here's some yellow Pro-V's for you, at last".

So there is other bodies out there where the AVX is a one of a kind ball? ;)

It's kind of like anything else in life really. What works great for one might not work the same for another, or the same, or worse..

We've already seen multiple instances of it in this thread. NButte and I argue that we gain distance with all clubs without sacrificing other areas of our game. We also don't need the added spin around the greens so missing short game spin from a ProV is a mute argument for us. Others that are ProV fans argue that they see the same distance and matched categories with the AVX with less spin than a ProV; thus they would not switch because they are not going to give up short game control. Some even comment that the AVX is comparable to the Tour Soft but the Tour Soft is less so why buy AVX? Many comment that they would never switch to an AVX for the same price of a ProV simply because it isn't branded as a tour ball and the same price. To the eye of the beholder..

I'm going to give the AVX another go tomorrow as I'm playing a course with notoriously receptive greens. No doubt the AVX is a big, positive change in my driving game, and because of that I want to use it. I don't think I mentioned it in my previous posts, but this ball is also very durable... played the same ball the whole round last time (I know, passive brag... :taunt: ).

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Mine seem really hard to bruise or scratch but the yellow ones attract and hold onto dirt something fierce. A muddy stain that I could wipe off most balls with a dry towel tends to hang around until I get home and can use warm water and soap. it's kind of weird. Once I get it clean it's good as new, it's just hard to get clean for some reason.

Mine seem really hard to bruise or scratch but the yellow ones attract and hold onto dirt something fierce. A muddy stain that I could wipe off most balls with a dry towel tends to hang around until I get home and can use warm water and soap. it's kind of weird. Once I get it clean it's good as new, it's just hard to get clean for some reason.

Have you compared to white? My yellow one are from a brand new box but my white I bought AAAAA mint off eBay. I have a new box of whites I haven’t used yet. So far, I agree with your statement and it seems the yellow is more durable than white.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I tried this ball a couple of weeks ago and had my worst round in a long time. My short game was terrible, I couldn’t seem to hit the low spinning chips I wanted to. I went to the practice area and tested this ball against the TP5X, Snell MTB Black and Project A. I quickly realized that rather than trying to hit low spinning chips, which I wasn’t able to do with any of the golf balls, I should use loft to get the ball to land softly, which works well with all of the above balls. Realizing this and how I do enjoy the feel of the AVX of my putter, woods and irons I plan on giving this ball another go.

Titleist TS3 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 13.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
TaylorMade P790 3 w/ HZRDUS Black 85 6.0
Callaway X Forged 4-PW w/ KBS $Taper 120
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610
Swag Savage Too
Taylormade TP5x

Played again today with an AVX. This time I pitted the AVX and B330 against each other over 9 holes.

Shot the same score with both, 3 over with a double on the first hole for each (no warm up after being at a desk for hours). Overall there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the two in terms of performance.

That said if there was one thing I noticed it was on the flight. When I hit both on the screws on a drive the AVX usually looked like a knuckle ball. It would fly out and just kind of drop. It looked and felt odd while the B330 had a more satisfying trajectory (if that makes sense).

Despite the changes in flight the distances were overall the same. Even spin was the same. Depsite being low spin the AVX is very easy to stop on most shots. It just won't spin back 10 feet, which is probably a good thing for most. Maybe the AVX was a touch straighter but nothing that was really significant. Feel wise its definitely soft. ChromeSoft, mushy, soft on full swings which I'm sure many like. I personally like it but couldn't care less if performance isn't there.

I mentioned it in my previous post about the AVX that while its a good ball I don't think it'll find its place in my bag despite being a high swing speed/high spin player myself. However I can absolutely see how it could be a gem for others. Its definitely a solid ball.

I bought a dozen and put them in play over the past few rounds. I typically play either the PRO V1x or Bridgestone Tour B XS. I'm 26 y/o 4 handicap and 115mph Driver SS.

For me this ball is long. Probably 1/2 or a full club longer than higher spinning balls and I didn't notice significant changes in trajectory with my irons either. I will say that off the driver the ball came off lower, but I don't know if that was the Indian or the arrow.

Like many posters here have noted, this ball spins much less than other 'tour' balls. I don't consider myself to be a high-spin player, but I'm usually good for a few wedge shots with some backspin a couple times per round. With this ball, I didn't hit one shot than spun back, despite striking the ball the best I have all year. The best I could do was one bounce and stop, but the vast majority hit greens and rolled. This was true for high 7 irons as well as full 60 degree wedges. I actually found myself clubbing down to land the ball below the hole so it would run up, which was a very different strategy for me. Luckily this didn't cause too many issues, however, sometimes it became frustrating to see well-struck approach shots that would typically bounce once and stop to roll out.

Overall, this ball is intriguing. On one hand I'm seeing a very good increase in distance, but on the other the lack of spin makes me feel like I have less control once the ball hits the green. I'll probably end up going back to the Bridgestone for this reason, but I've never been able to see the difference a ball makes quite like the AVX

Taylormade M3 10.5 /HZRDS 6.5X
Titleist 913fd 15
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3
Titleist 716MB 7-PW
Titleist 716CB 4-6

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Tel3 Newport

Bridgestone Tour B X

Been a ProV1 and ProV1X player since the day they were released. I’ve officially switched to the AVX. Feels soft, spins great around greens, flies straighter and longer. I’m a high ball hitter, so my irons have plenty of stopping power. I can still hit a big flop and low check with it from greenside. Great out of bunkers, too. To top it off, they are more durable. I’m very impressed!

Our greens are finally almost back to normal firmness after this brutally wet Spring. Another week or two and I’ll know how AVX holds for me under peak season condition.

But the past two rounds a couple of 8-iron and 9-iron shots are starting to end up as much as 6-8;feet from where they land. That’s not a problem but with ProV1x (or most other Tour balls I’ve used) anything shorter than 7-iron ends up stopping within a foot or two.

I have a feeling my 7-iron and 6-iron approaches will need to be landed short of the hole the rest of the summer. It won’t cause me any problems unless my runout with those clubs is longer than maybe five yards but if a well struck 7-iron starts running 10 yards I’d reconsider the AVX in favor of another option in high summer conditions.