2018 NCAA Men’s Championships

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oklahoma State is putting on a clinic.........some impressive golf!

Yup, best 4 scores are cumulative 21 under par! That is mindboggling in college golf especially on that hard course.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds. And carry. Never used a push cart. Are they that easy to use ? I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry. But I frequently change my mind on things I’ve never tried. So.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win. If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds. And carry. Never used a push cart. Are they that easy to use ? I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry. But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

I used to carry all the time but it started to pull on my back, ruined a lot of shirts/sweaters and was a constant struggle to keep weight out of the bag. Push carts are much easier on the back, but do have their drawbacks. Overall weight goes up, which is only apparent on up hill parts of the course.

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win. If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

I suppose you're right, but I never liked them myself - looks odd. Harris English is also not a fan. He sent out a disparaging tweet about them, and several other Tour players - Harman, Horschel, Varner, Lincicome (!) piled on.

I enjoyed watching both the men's and women's tournaments. Look forward to them every year.

I suppose you're right, but I never liked them myself - looks odd. Harris English is also not a fan. He sent out a disparaging tweet about them, and several other Tour players - Harman, Horschel, Varner, Lincicome (!) piled on.

I enjoyed watching both the men's and women's tournaments. Look forward to them every year.

So I guess you're in good company??

I played high school and college golf. We always walked and carried our bags. This was before push carts became fashionable. Dad gave me one last summer and I’ll never go back for 18 holes. Still carry my bag for 9, but on 18 it makes a huge difference. Much easier on my low back. I’m surprised they don’t all use them. In the summer heat I’d think it would at least save you one shot per round.

So I guess you're in good company??

Yes, that's bragging rights. I have this in common with Tour pros. This, and...well, that's about it.

Anyone else notice that Davis Riley from Bama ? what a big kid with a perfect swing ! and shortgame is super good.. Ill look to see him on tour at some point...

I'd rather see that guy from Oklahoma with the crazy swing make it. Much more entertaining.

Edit: Matthew Wolff

Wolff has that so called “It” factor that the top PGA Tour players seem to have. It will be fun to watch him on Sundays.

tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds. And carry. Never used a push cart. Are they that easy to use ? I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry. But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

I used to carry all the time but it started to pull on my back, ruined a lot of shirts/sweaters and was a constant struggle to keep weight out of the bag. Push carts are much easier on the back, but do have their drawbacks. Overall weight goes up, which is only apparent on up hill parts of the course.

This^

It would depend on what course you're playing. Pushing a cart up and down hills for 18 holes isn't strain-less either. I prefer to just carry on my back, cause that's what I've done my whole life thus far and I feel it's easier. For me the push cart got heavy with the arms later in the round cause your constantly pushing/holding on to something, rather than your arms just hanging as you walk.

To each their own though

tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Do you walk or ride?

This^

It would depend on what course you're playing. Pushing a cart up and down hills for 18 holes isn't strain-less either. I prefer to just carry on my back, cause that's what I've done my whole life thus far and I feel it's easier. For me the push cart got heavy with the arms later in the round cause your constantly pushing/holding on to something, rather than your arms just hanging as you walk.

To each their own though

Exactly what I’d worry aboot. Not playing many flat open courses it seems like it would be a struggle to push and maneuver.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Gotta consider course conditions when deciding pushing vs. carrying.

Wet, soggy ground, wet rough, steep hills, elevated tee boxes and the terrain between greens and tees can make pushing harder.

I have followed my daughter for 6 years of junior golf and 2 years of college golf so far. She prefers to carry in 90% of the situations. Unless, they have 36 holes in a day - then she has to make a decision based on terrain. My wife is a PT and she cringes seeing many of the girls pushing a cart uphill - they are tired, head down, arms straight out in front of them trying to finish the round.

If carrying a bag is a chore for you: it is either not adjusted properly, your core is not strong, or your core muscles are not balanced. Over the years, I have seen many, many bag straps not adjusted properly.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, it's within the rules, geez they use rangefinders, I don't remember those being around years ago, no one is complaining about the use!!

I've used a cart (buggy in Europe, widely used there) for 20+ years, much better on the shoulder, though the new bags are better. I like to hydrate too, with as much water as I carry in my bag it would be way to loaded.

When I was younger I felt you were a wimp if you used a push/pull cart, my ex-pro best buddy straightened me out, I've used one ever since. I was the butt of many jokes at the private club I belonged to in the SF Bay Area when I brought a Rickshaw in from Canada 20 years ago, now their everywhere, Lol

I didn't particularly like that Everett's coach went up and stood on the spot where he was supposed to hit the layup so that Brock could get a yardage with the laser. OMG, that kind of thing needs to stop. I never got that kind of help in HS.

This isn't exactly HS either so you're reasoning has ZERO merit.

Maybe the reasoning is suspect, I don't know. But its 100% correct that should not be happening.

Doesn't seem any different than pacing it off.

Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s just soemthing about it seems wrong to me. Probably just me.

Ego stops many from push carts. That was me before a neck injury. Now I chuckle at guys who lug their bag around for 4 hours. Ego is powerful.

What does ego have to do with it. Some (like, myselfwhen I don’t ride) would just prefer to carry. I like being able to take the bag with me almost anywhere, especially around the greens. A very light bag with little extra stuff in it is easier for me than pushing a cart.

Nothing to do with ego.

Ego stops many from push carts. That was me before a neck injury. Now I chuckle at guys who lug their bag around for 4 hours. Ego is powerful.

What does ego have to do with it. Some (like, myselfwhen I don’t ride) would just prefer to carry. I like being able to take the bag with me almost anywhere, especially around the greens. A very light bag with little extra stuff in it is easier for me than pushing a cart.

Nothing to do with ego.

Not everyone but many. My buddy pushed for years and went back to carrying for points you mention. . A lot of people refuse to push because they think it’s for old geezers.

tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Do you walk or ride?

Take advice from an old guy. Don't have an opinion to things you've never tried.

have used a push cart before carrying a reduced bag the last three years and have gone back to a push cart ... it's absolutely laughable that any golfer, amateur or pro, mocks someone for using a push cart ... there are a couple of websites that have researched the calories expended, carrying vs pushing vs riding, and the difference between the former two are negligible (most surprising was the caloric expenditure in swinging a golf club 80 times, much higher than anticipated) ...

https://onpar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/a-little-scientific-research-for-all-those-19th-hole-debates/

Neil Wolkodoff wondered all those things, too. And as the director of the Center for Health and Sport Science at the Rose Medical Center in Denver, he knew how to find the answers. Two years ago, he bought $27,000 worth of equipment to conduct a painstaking set of tests on amateur golfers. When he was done, he had some findings that could settle a lot of barroom arguments.

For example, in Wolkodoff’s study, golfers scored lower while walking with a caddie or with their clubs on a push cart than they did when using a motorized cart. And golfers carrying a golf bag posted the highest average score.

As one might expect, the most energy was expended while walking with a bag (721 calories burned for nine holes). But walking with a push cart was not far behind (718). Walking with a caddie burned 621 calories for nine holes, and riding in a cart still burned 411 calories on average.

“One of the surprise realizations was that just swinging a golf club about 100 times uses up a significant amount of energy,” Wolkodoff said.