2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Lots of Pinehurst Questions

Headed to Pinehurst in about 3 weeks. Arriving Monday Playing 1,6,8,2. Early tee time for #1 tuesday , then 1:06 for 6 and 8, later time for #2 friday, then leaving Saturday AM.

Questions:

1. Where to store your sticks? When I've taken golf trips in the past, the clubs were in the room, now that we are on the resort, does that still hold true, do they store them? Can you choose?

2. We are staying at the Holly Inn, obviously the shuttle will take you to the courses, but for breakfast or a trip to the spa/ fitness center do they do that as well?

3. Related to 2, is the resort an easy walk? Say from the Holly Inn to where ever?

4. Obviously water, gatorade, snacks and such are available there but probably very expensive, is there a local supermarket etc around the area to pick up these things and probably 10 other things I forgot.

I am sure I will have other questions but...

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headed to Pinehurst in about 3 weeks. Arriving Monday Playing 1,6,8,2. Early tee time for #1 tuesday , then 1:06 for 6 and 8, later time for #2 friday, then leaving Saturday AM.

Questions:

1. Where to store your sticks? When I've taken golf trips in the past, the clubs were in the room, now that we are on the resort, does that still hold true, do they store them? Can you choose?

2. We are staying at the Holly Inn, obviously the shuttle will take you to the courses, but for breakfast or a trip to the spa/ fitness center do they do that as well?

3. Related to 2, is the resort an easy walk? Say from the Holly Inn to where ever?

4. Obviously water, gatorade, snacks and such are available there but probably very expensive, is there a local supermarket etc around the area to pick up these things and probably 10 other things I forgot.

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

1. They'll take care of your clubs. Check in, let them take the clubs away, they'll be in the cart area in the morning when you check in. For your off-campus rounds (#6 and #8) they'll appear as if by magic at that course. If you intend to practice, say in the morning at the main clubhouse prior to going to play at #6, let them know, I'm sure they'll make whatever arrangements are necessary.

2. I think you'll get breakfast at the Holly, but if you prefer to go to the Carolina for your breakfast, or for the spa, the shuttle will take you there. Its no more than a 10 minute walk if you would rather walk.

3. Its no more than a 10 minute walk to get anywhere in Pinehurst Village, including the main clubhouse, even my favorite tavern, Maxie's.

4. There are a bunch of supermarkets around there. The closest is probably the Lowe's just north of the Village. There's a small convenience store right in the center of the Village, but I know nothing of their prices or selection.

Have a great time!

1. They will keep them and get them to your course each day. Club guys after the round will clean them... Small tip is probably in order.

2.Holly Inn is actually a it closer to courses 1-5 than the Carolina. There is a back way to walk up that puts you right by the first tee of course #2. Once you check in the pro shop, your clubs will be downstairs ready for you. FYI, you can get the shuttle as well, but the wait is sometimes longer than the walk.

3. See above.

4. There is a little store right next to Dugans pub, which is right next to the Holly. There is a Lowes foods and Harris Teeter a short ride away (cab or Uber) but there are plenty of places for snacks in town if you don't have a car or want to spring for a cab.

Have fun. Play the Cradle and drink some beers while putting on Thistle Dhu.

Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

1. They'll take care of your clubs. Check in, let them take the clubs away, they'll be in the cart area in the morning when you check in. For your off-campus rounds (#6 and #8) they'll appear as if by magic at that course. If you intend to practice, say in the morning at the main clubhouse prior to going to play at #6, let them know, I'm sure they'll make whatever arrangements are necessary.

2. I think you'll get breakfast at the Holly, but if you prefer to go to the Carolina for your breakfast, or for the spa, the shuttle will take you there. Its no more than a 10 minute walk if you would rather walk.

3. Its no more than a 10 minute walk to get anywhere in Pinehurst Village, including the main clubhouse, even my favorite tavern, Maxie's.

4. There are a bunch of supermarkets around there. The closest is probably the Lowe's just north of the Village. There's a small convenience store right in the center of the Village, but I know nothing of their prices or selection.

Have a great time!

After reading a TON of the Pinehurst posts, I knew YOU'D be the man in the know! Thanks!

You've never been worried about the sticks in someone else's care? I read a couple things here that made me wonder...should I take my rangefinder with me or just leave it in the bag?

Thanks again!

Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

Have a great time!

After reading a TON of the Pinehurst posts, I knew YOU'D be the man in the know! Thanks!

You've never been worried about the sticks in someone else's care? I read a couple things here that made me wonder...should I take my rangefinder with me or just leave it in the bag?

Thanks again!

Last time I stayed on the property was before the days of rangefinders, but I wouldn't worry. And if you're not a person who can avoid worrying, take it with you. But Pinehurst handles hundreds of bags every day, they keep them safely stored away when they're not on a cart. Of course, take my advice here for what its worth, I didn't feel worried leaving my clubs outside a pub in St Andrews while I was inside having a few pints.

Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

Have a great time!

Thanks again!

Of course, take my advice here for what its worth, I didn't feel worried leaving my clubs outside a pub in St Andrews while I was inside having a few pints.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

Have a great time!

Thanks again!

Of course, take my advice here for what its worth, I didn't feel worried leaving my clubs outside a pub in St Andrews while I was inside having a few pints.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey, it was only a couple of pints on the walk from the course back to our B&B, not an all-night excursion.

Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Some easy answers:

Have a great time!

Thanks again!

You’re probably safe. My buddy left his phone in his bag and it was there the next day. Which brings up the point don’t forget to grab your phone if you put it in your bag while playing.

Pinehurst is great. If you stay on property and play their courses they do everything. We just called from the room and each day they would take us to the course. Another call and they would take us back to the room. As previously stated they store the clubs and make them show up at the course you’re playing. Same for meals. We stayed in their condos next to course 4 so we called the shuttle for all our movements. Amazing service - never had more than a five minute wait. All at no charge.

I almost forgot...breakfast. I was looking at the dining on the pinehurst website and it looks as if the only place there that offers a "true" breakfast is the Carolina Dining room while the coffee shop has "quickie" stuff, breakfast sammiches etc. Is this a fact or do some of the other places down there offer something?

And yes Zap, I suspect a lot of laughs.

I almost forgot...breakfast. I was looking at the dining on the pinehurst website and it looks as if the only place there that offers a "true" breakfast is the Carolina Dining room while the coffee shop has "quickie" stuff, breakfast sammiches etc. Is this a fact or do some of the other places down there offer something?

I'm pretty sure the Holly Inn will have an excellent breakfast buffet for you, based on this:

https://www.pinehurst.com/accommodations/the-holly-inn/

At the bottom left, under guest services, it says:

• 1895 Grille serving a buffet breakfast and fabulous Southern-influenced cuisine for dinner

If I remember correctly, the buffet at the Carolina is even more impressive, so it might be worth it to take the 5-minute walk up there at least once.

I'm pretty sure the Holly Inn will have an excellent breakfast buffet for you, based on this:

https://www.pinehurs.../the-holly-inn/

• 1895 Grille serving a buffet breakfast and fabulous Southern-influenced cuisine for dinner

If I remember correctly, the buffet at the Carolina is even more impressive, so it might be worth it to take the 5-minute walk up there at least once.

I thank you for your insight sir! Thanks!

I just saw this in another thread, these are two of the guys who're going to be taking care of your clubs

https://www.pinehurs...rry-and-frolin/

Very cool!

Would you suggest bringing a "regular" camera or just stick with the cell phone?

That's really up to you. I know my compact digital cameras, 4 or 5 years old or more, aren't any better than the camera in my phone. If you're a photography buff, you may want your digital SLR.

Carolina buffet is better than holly inn. Carolina is a feast as someone mentioned.

Carolina buffet is better than holly inn. Carolina is a feast as someone mentioned.

The Carolina breakfast buffet is ridiculous. There are so many options you can't even sample them all (coming from a 52 year old recently prescribed Lipitor). I was there in April and I will say that their lox/smoked salmon is some of the best I've ever had. There is also a small coffee shop that has some breakfast sandwiches and snacks, in addition to cappucinos, lattes, etc.

Don't worry about your clubs - they were always waiting for us at the course we were playing and I left my range finder and other valuables in my bag every night.

The shuttles are frequent and the drivers very friendly. Most are retirees.

Take caddies, particularly for No. 2. It is well worth the cost (we took caddies on No. 2, 8 and 9). No. 2 is cart path only and you won't see a lot of the course from the cart path. We had a great time with the caddies - once they realized our high level of ball busting they jumped right in.

Dinner at the restaurant in the Holly was the best dinner we had.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

The Carolina breakfast buffet is ridiculous. There are so many options you can't even sample them all (coming from a 52 year old recently prescribed Lipitor). I was there in April and I will say that their lox/smoked salmon is some of the best I've ever had. There is also a small coffee shop that has some breakfast sandwiches and snacks, in addition to cappucinos, lattes, etc.

Take caddies, particularly for No. 2. It is well worth the cost (we took caddies on No. 2, 8 and 9). No. 2 is cart path only and you won't see a lot of the course from the cart path. We had a great time with the caddies - once they realized our high level of ball busting they jumped right in.

This is what I remember, even though its been a long time since I stayed there. Use extreme self-control if breakfasting before an early round, or else you'll be required to make some swing alterations to turn around your engorged belly.

This is what I remember, even though its been a long time since I stayed there. Use extreme self-control if breakfasting before an early round, or else you'll be required to make some swing alterations to turn around your engorged belly.

^^^This. If playing during the summer months and walking go light on breakfast. I had breakfast the morning of walking number 2 and was smart to eat light. Even though my inner fat self wanted to eat, but I couldn’t blame anyone for not eating a lot. Everything I had was amazing. Ryder cup in Carolina hotel is good. Another must is drinks and/or cigar at the deuce overlooking the 18th hole on number 2.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

^^^This. If playing during the summer months and walking go light on breakfast. I had breakfast the morning of walking number 2 and was smart to eat light. Even though my inner fat self wanted to eat, but I couldn't blame anyone for not eating a lot. Everything I had was amazing. Ryder cup in Carolina hotel is good. Another must is drinks and/or cigar at the deuce overlooking the 18th hole on number 2.

Outside of the resort facilities, Dugan's is nice. I like Maxie's, a nice sports bar a little longer walk but still no further than 10 minutes away. Be sure to have a drink at the Pinecrest, once owned by Donald Ross. They used to chip balls into the fireplace in the main lobby. If you have a little more time to kill, visit the Tufts archives in the library, across from the Holly. Lots of stuff about the history of Pinehurst. You might also be interested in reading some of Chris Buis' articles about Pinehurst at www.golfclubatlas.com

Another quick question. Is it safe to assume that I will be nickeled and dimed all week with tips for the shuttle, housing of the clubs etc etc? Also, b/c this is the 1st time for me staying at a resort, are the range balls included? The reason I ask is that I'd like to take out just enough cash for the week and more or less itemize my spending on my Credit Card...that and get my points. LOL

Range balls are included. Its probably appropriate to tip the guys who load and/or unload your clubs from the cart, maybe the shuttle drivers. Even so, with 4 days there, I wouldn't expect to spend much more than $20 in those tips.

Thanks buddy. I've taken a bunch of golf trips and tip whenever its appropriate (guy that unloads the car, packs/ unloads the cart) but this is the 1st time going to a resort where everything is right in front of you.

This time next week, we'll be making the turn @ #1.

Range balls are included. Its probably appropriate to tip the guys who load and/or unload your clubs from the cart, maybe the shuttle drivers. Even so, with 4 days there, I wouldn't expect to spend much more than $20 in those tips.

Thanks buddy. I've taken a bunch of golf trips and tip whenever its appropriate (guy that unloads the car, packs/ unloads the cart) but this is the 1st time going to a resort where everything is right in front of you.

This time next week, we'll be making the turn @ #1.

At #1, I think its about hole 12, long uphill par 3, a friend of mine lives just to the left. Try not to hook it too badly there. This time next week, I think I'll be at Western Gailes, Scotland. Have fun in Pinehurst!

Good God, Buck... you didn't have enough questions for me, that you gotta harass the poor guys here too? :lol:

The Carolina breakfast is the one to hit. Plus as my guest, you get 50% off your food.

Trust me, you won't go hungry.

Or thirsty, for that matter... (cool)

Ahhhhh, you're here???? LOL. Just super excited! Trying to get as much intel as possible. You know me brother! I cant wait to get down there!

Plus for you, this is old hat...lol.