TaylorMade M3 and M4 Drivers and Metalwoods

ludeatude

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came away pretty impressed with the M4 Tour 3w and GD shaft. It never wanted to go left which is a good change from my old F6 3w and distance was still pretty good. I'll take the fairway over the rough even if its not as long but I think it was still out there.

And I regret getting rid of the M3 for the LST. The LST has been awful like the last time I tried but for some reason I didnt listen to myself. On the hunt for a M3 again.

your fitter did a good job on your 3w lol

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Getting ready to head to the club and pick my M3 with the Blue Bullet in it shortly. Hope the numbers are the same as they were at demo day. I am always afraid they are using non-conforming heads and magic shafts made from unicorn horns.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Holy crap. Favorite driver I have ever hit. I picked up the yardage on the course that the TM was showing on the range. Hitting it way straighter, higher, and longer. This club will leave the bag about the same time my putter does. When it breaks.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Replaced Rogue SZ Driver and Epic SZ 3 wood with the M3s. I will tell you the M3 clubs are the best woods I have ever played with. The driver has gone from the worst club in my bag to one of the best and the 3 wood is definitively the best club in my bag. I hit it 260 in the air off the tee, hardly hit a driver anymore. Well done TM!

TM M3 9.5*, Oban Kiyoshi White 04
TM M3 15*, Oban Devotion 04
Apex 2 Hybrid 18*, Kuro Kage 80g Stiff
4-PW Callaway Apex, KBS C-Taper
50* 54* Vokey SM6
MD PM Grind 60*
TM Spider Tour

Holy crap. Favorite driver I have ever hit. I picked up the yardage on the course that the TM was showing on the range. Hitting it way straighter, higher, and longer. This club will leave the bag about the same time my putter does. When it breaks.

when the m6 and 7.5 come out

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

After a lukewarm start I'm loving the M4 more and more every hole. There didn't seem to be much between it and the 17 M2 but now I see what the fuss was about. Much longer, more penetrating flight. Has to be said as well the Twistface "tech" sounds a bit fanciful but heel and toe hits (which thankfully don't show up often) hold their line incredibly well. I haven't seen anything drastically different i.e. curving back into the centre but they definitely are less destructive.

TM woods are just consistently brilliant.

OK so I previously had the 2017 M1 440, and was getting spin numbers around 2100 consistently. Switched to the M3 440, and am averaging around 2800. Anyone else see a jump like this? Loft on the M1 was 9.5 and loft on the m3 is 10. Same shaft, same me. Basically same weight placement. Not sure why it jumped 700 rpm's.

I noticed I was losing distance off the tee, went it and checked it on the trackman and sure enough spin was way up. Even had 7 times out of the 30 shots I hit where spin was in the 3000's, yet my AoA was fine on every hit.

Anyone else getting really weird spin numbers with the M3 440?

Came away pretty impressed with the M4 Tour 3w and GD shaft. It never wanted to go left which is a good change from my old F6 3w and distance was still pretty good. I'll take the fairway over the rough even if its not as long but I think it was still out there.

And I regret getting rid of the M3 for the LST. The LST has been awful like the last time I tried but for some reason I didnt listen to myself. On the hunt for a M3 again.

your fitter did a good job on your 3w lol

He did lol, so much so he fit himself into the same setup haha

Finally hit the M4 driver indoors on a trackman but I couldnt get past the looks. Why is the topline edge from the face to the top of the cavity so rounded? It's the softest edge I've ever seen on a driver. I stopped hitting it after a half dozen balls because I couldnt mentally get past that.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Finally hit the M4 driver indoors on a trackman but I couldnt get past the looks. Why is the topline edge from the face to the top of the cavity so rounded? It's the softest edge I've ever seen on a driver. I stopped hitting it after a half dozen balls because I couldnt mentally get past that.

It is different than any of the drivers I've owned the last few years. But for some reason I just loved that look the first time I saw an M4 and gave it a quick waggle in the store. I think it's because I habitually set up with the face slightly closed at address (maybe 2, 3,4 degrees?) and with most drivers that makes me think I'm going to pull it, even though I know that's the correct setup for me to hit it straight. With the M4 I can set up like that and the top-line seems to be pointed at my target.

What you're actually seeing is TM's 'Twisted Face'......It is a bit Ugly!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 1 month later...

OK so I previously had the 2017 M1 440, and was getting spin numbers around 2100 consistently. Switched to the M3 440, and am averaging around 2800. Anyone else see a jump like this? Loft on the M1 was 9.5 and loft on the m3 is 10. Same shaft, same me. Basically same weight placement. Not sure why it jumped 700 rpm's.

I noticed I was losing distance off the tee, went it and checked it on the trackman and sure enough spin was way up. Even had 7 times out of the 30 shots I hit where spin was in the 3000's, yet my AoA was fine on every hit.

Anyone else getting really weird spin numbers with the M3 440?

I haven’t been on trackman, but I’m definitely seeing some oddities. When the M3 440 is on it’s really on, but I'm losing at least 20yards when off... Doing a head to head comparison next week to confirm.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

I left the Callaway DBD 816 for a Rouge which I didn't like or hit well at all then over to the M3 9.5* with an Attas Cool shaft and I love it. I've hit some of the best drives of my life. I have been able to reach more par 5's in 2 since I got this driver. Sound is muted as you can tell when you hit it well and it just jumps off the club face. It didn't take me long at all to get it dialed in as I like everything about it. My 3W is a Ryoma F2 13*, my 5W isa S-Yard 18* and 7W which I don't need is a Kamuri all JDM which Im not ever letting go until they break. I will say I've tried many JDM drivers but the M3 has really impressed me as it's not leaving my bag this year for nothing.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Mine are firmly placed in their spots. Nothing has been as long as the m3 (driver) and the m4 is basically a driver backup that I can hit all sorts of different ways when needed. Love these woods.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• 3 months later...

Anybody prefer the Atmos staff in the M4? Years ago I loved my Ping G5 driver in grafalloy prolaunch blue. Unbeknownst to me, the prolaunch is a high launching shaft. I had really good results with it. I play an x-stiff usually and wonder if I should be considering the M4 in x-stiff atmos at 9.5 since it's higher launching or go with the tensei shaft in 9.5. It doesn't seem that there is usually much talk of the stock offerings since most people on here have dialed in their favorite shafts. I have not. For a matter of fact, I have always bought drivers in whatever their stock shaft is and gone with that and have no experience with almost all of the shafts discussed on the forums. It's never really been a problem with any driver I have had but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so I am now wondering which one to go with since my store has both in stock. If they didn't, it would have solved the problem for me on it's own. I'm sure this isn't the right way to shop for a driver.

Have TM released the list of no upcharge shafts available with M3/M4?

Shaft list is bigger than ever. Will be released soon. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Any differences in the Tensei (non-pro) from last year and the stock Tensei for the M3 besides graphics? I got an M2 with Tensei last year and am thinking about possibilities for this year if I really like the new drivers.

Ok, was able to pick up my M4 last night but walked out with the M3.

I was able to test both of them in a 8.5*, side-by-side with the "made for" Tensei S-flex (from the M3) for a fair comparison. The M4 was more forgiving, launched higher with more backspin. The M4 was clearly longer for me, a little looser in trajectory but felt better (sound?). I liked how the backspin numbers were 2500 and figured I could mess with the weights to achieve similar dispersion to the M4. I should mention I did lower the loft on both 1 click to find my sweet zone.

Another thing I noticed was it appeared the M4 sat taller at address, almost as if it were a deep face. Comparing the faces they seem to be the same. The M3 definitely looked like it had a flatter lie.

Side note, I did compare the M4 to the Cobra F8+ and walked out with the winner for me ... at least for now;P

I recently got a used 2016 M1 with a Tensei CK Blue 60 S in it and it does not appear to be the same color scheme wise as on the Mitsubishi Website.....the one that was in the used M1 had a black paint job towards the grip and then silver down towards the tip. Is this a made for shaft for Taylormade (top pic)? and if so is it comparable to this Tensei CK Blue 60 (bottom)

41AbEx-TcaL._SX425_.jpg

mitsubishi-rayon-tensei.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Shaft list is bigger than ever. Will be released soon. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Any differences in the Tensei (non-pro) from last year and the stock Tensei for the M3 besides graphics? I got an M2 with Tensei last year and am thinking about possibilities for this year if I really like the new drivers.

I was able to test both of them in a 8.5*, side-by-side with the "made for" Tensei S-flex (from the M3) for a fair comparison. The M4 was more forgiving, launched higher with more backspin. The M4 was clearly longer for me, a little looser in trajectory but felt better (sound?). I liked how the backspin numbers were 2500 and figured I could mess with the weights to achieve similar dispersion to the M4. I should mention I did lower the loft on both 1 click to find my sweet zone.

Another thing I noticed was it appeared the M4 sat taller at address, almost as if it were a deep face. Comparing the faces they seem to be the same. The M3 definitely looked like it had a flatter lie.

Side note, I did compare the M4 to the Cobra F8+ and walked out with the winner for me ... at least for now;P

I recently got a used 2016 M1 with a Tensei CK Blue 60 S in it and it does not appear to be the same color scheme wise as on the Mitsubishi Website.....the one that was in the used M1 had a black paint job towards the grip and then silver down towards the tip. Is this a made for shaft for Taylormade (top pic)? and if so is it comparable to this Tensei CK Blue 60 (bottom)

41AbEx-TcaL._SX425_.jpg

I believe the answer is yes to both of your questions. The top one was made for Taylormade woods this year, and everything I've seen says that it's no different in performance. It's just a paint scheme difference.

thank you for the quick response @tbrumbeloe13!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

41AbEx-TcaL._SX425_.jpg

That's Taylormade's stock retail graphic for the Tensei Blue. It is NOT a Pro blue, just a standard Tensei Blue.

I was never able to turn my M3 driver over for my normal ball flight and I lost more right on bad days than ever before (worked through 3 shafts including the one I was fit for). I played the Ping G400 for a month or so and lost significant distance. I worked back to a M2 with Black HZRDUS and it is the longest and most forgiving of the three for me. I also prefer it's feel and look so I am set.

I recently picked up a mint M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Tour Limited shaft and it is early but I think maybe I have finally found a 3 wood that will stay around. That shaft/head combo seems great for me.

I am very pleased with the M2-M4 combo and last Saturday had my first even round of the year.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I was never able to turn my M3 driver over for my normal ball flight and I lost more right on bad days than ever before (worked through 3 shafts including the one I was fit for). I played the Ping G400 for a month or so and lost significant distance. I worked back to a M2 with Black HZRDUS and it is the longest and most forgiving of the three for me. I also prefer it's feel and look so I am set.

I recently picked up a mint M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Tour Limited shaft and it is early but I think maybe I have finally found a 3 wood that will stay around. That shaft/head combo seems great for me.

I am very pleased with the M2-M4 combo and last Saturday had my first even round of the year.

I think, for the most part, M4 is the most popular head of this series, and honestly I think we've sold M4 in the fairways at least 3/1 over M3. Most people, even very good players, seem to go M4 in the fairways.

I'm way late to this party, but recently bought a M3 head to try out compared to my 2017 M1. After poring over multiple thread on the new heads I decided the best bet was to go down in loft to 9.5 (my M1 was a 10.5 head).

My club's range balls suck bigtime but the launch at 9.5 is only marginally lower than the 10.5 M1. With the weights back in the fade section of the Y-track I definitely felt like the M3 was more difficult to turn over, which is great since my miss tends toward a hook. There's a noticeable sense of stability in this head, and the low face misses were a LOT better. Distance seems comparable but I can't know until I get on course with real balls hitting real shots.

FWIW, my M1 head weighed 199g and the M3 is 197g. I used the same shaft with both clubs.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX