Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Anyone having gapping issues after the 790 pw?

my existing gap wedge (s) 50 or 52 are almost 20 yards shorter than carry on pw......

thinking of bending the pw weaker and gap stronger....

anyone else experience?

thanks

No gapping issues here.

I play a 50/54/58 setup.

I suggest checking the lie and lofts of the P790 set. Several folks within this thread have mentioned their lofts being off a few degrees.

I got mine checked and only one of my P790 heads was off by 1*.

Thanks

I have checked the lofts though and they are correct

issue is from 45 to 52 gap is too much - bent the pw to 46 and the gap to 51, but still have 20 yards, sometimes more

then to 56 and another 15 yards

debating whether to go pw (45), then 48(bent to 49), 52 (bent to 53), 56, 60

5 wedges seems like overkill though and I am likely just getting too cute with the whole exercise......

I will likely just keep tweaking the pw and 52 till I even out the gaps best I can

bottom line is that these 790's are flippin Long!

Played my first round with new 790’s yesterday and they did not disappoint. The feel of the clubs is unbelievable. Distances were 1.5 to 2 times longer than my old Callaway X-22’s. 6 iron from 165yds to 180yds, 4 iron to 205. The most impressive thing is that the off center hits came out very good and flew great. Only one round in but an exciting start. Well worth the wait to get them.

you doubled your distance? wow. impressive indeed.

Ha. Good catch. How about 15 to 20 yards longer per club.

Gave these one more round. I just want these to work, but they don't. Flew 4 more greens today, then hit an 8 iron on a 167 yard par 3 and stuck it ( that is an appropriate distance for me with an 8 iron). Had a 170 yard approach, he hit the 8 iron, and lost the ball in a creek behind the green.

Glad these seem to be working out for so many, but I find these the most frustrating irons I've ever hit. Will be moving on to i200 or 718 CB.

Might give the P770 a thought. I found it fit my game MUCH better than the two you mention and feel is far superior if you like "soft".

YMMV of course :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I just pulled the trigger on a set of P790s with KBS $-taper shafts. They should show up tomorrow. I will update after I get a chance to play them this weekend.

I would love to hear your feedback. My modus 120 would be compared.

I got to hit these the past few days on a range session and quick 9 holes. I’m getting used to the distances. They seem 5-10 yards longer per club than my previous RSI 2 irons, but consistent. I love these shafts. I’m getting a nice mid-high ball flight and they feel so smooth. Every iron shot I hit was dead straight. I haven’t played around with trying to shape shots yet. But I can deal with straight and long. The shots into the green seemed to stick with most within a few feet of my ball marks. I’m really going to enjoy playing these irons. I think I made a good choice.

I’m playing 18 tomorrow. So, I will update with more info if I see anything different.

I can’t brag on these enough. Changed my game. I hit so many great iron shots with these today.

TM Holy Grail irons

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

No iron set will be all things to all people. Aside from the head, many other variables exist too such as shaft, length, lie, grips, etc. Seems clear to me the P790s work great for many, including myself. If the P790s (or insert any other major OEM model) don’t work for you, it isn’t because they inherently have gapping issues, are too hot, etc. Poor results are due to only one of two things: set build isn’t appropriate for you, or you aren’t putting a good swing on them.

But all that said I switch gear all the time because it is really fun to try all the new stuff and then “nerd out” with all my other “golf nerd” friends. So I’m not knocking this thread or posts, just feel this needs to be said. And I check this thread daily to read all the banter because I find it incredibly entertaining to read, so there is always that....

Anyone having gapping issues after the 790 pw?

my existing gap wedge (s) 50 or 52 are almost 20 yards shorter than carry on pw......

thinking of bending the pw weaker and gap stronger....

anyone else experience?

thanks

No gapping issues here.

I play a 50/54/58 setup.

I suggest checking the lie and lofts of the P790 set. Several folks within this thread have mentioned their lofts being off a few degrees.

I got mine checked and only one of my P790 heads was off by 1*.

Thanks

I have checked the lofts though and they are correct

issue is from 45 to 52 gap is too much - bent the pw to 46 and the gap to 51, but still have 20 yards, sometimes more

then to 56 and another 15 yards

debating whether to go pw (45), then 48(bent to 49), 52 (bent to 53), 56, 60

5 wedges seems like overkill though and I am likely just getting too cute with the whole exercise......

I will likely just keep tweaking the pw and 52 till I even out the gaps best I can

bottom line is that these 790's are flippin Long!

i was having a similar issue but now i go pw 45, gw 50, sw 55 and lw 60

this seemed to fix the issue

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5º
Fairways: Taylormade Original One 13.5º & SIM2 21º 
Irons: Taylormade P770 4-6 & P7MC 7-PW
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 3 50º, 54º, 60º & Hi Toe 64º
Putter: Taylormade MySpider X Black - 34 inches

Gave these one more round. I just want these to work, but they don't. Flew 4 more greens today, then hit an 8 iron on a 167 yard par 3 and stuck it ( that is an appropriate distance for me with an 8 iron). Had a 170 yard approach, he hit the 8 iron, and lost the ball in a creek behind the green.

Glad these seem to be working out for so many, but I find these the most frustrating irons I've ever hit. Will be moving on to i200 or 718 CB.

Found exactly the same with mine. Now looking at going back to Apex cf16 or i200, not sure which!!

Found exactly the same with mine. Now looking at going back to Apex cf16 or i200, not sure which!!

For those of you having distance control issues, are the issues throughout the set or mainly in the shorter irons? I ask because I'm strongly considering looking into a P790 and P770 or P750 combo set.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Got sent this today from a mate, seemingly out later this year.

GEN2 Darkness model?

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Got sent this today from a mate, seemingly out later this year.

shrink wrap tells me those might be chinese fakes..

Also might be TaylorMad

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

I’ve had mine for 6 rounds now. I’ve had more 2s on par 3s in the last few rounds than I can ever remember in such a small sample size. I had two 2s on the front nine the other day and one of those holes I NEVER birdie. Distance control for me has been outstanding. They go the distance I want them to go. I can hit them high, low, draw and fade. I am really a believer. I have only had one “jump” on me, but I also know I hit it lower on the face than normal. I just am not seeing the crazy distance gaps some are complaining about. I will say my set were built by True Spec with frequency matched shafts, I did not do a gapping session and some of the lofts were bent a little weak (I was nervous about distances I would get at altitude). Coming from years of players cavity backs and blades these irons have made golf fun again. The forgiveness is unreal with little loss of distance or direction. I feel like with these new weapons (and the putter I was fitted for) sub 3 handicap is very much achievable this summer.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

Thinking to buy a set of these. Seems like most guys are not comboing them with the 770. Thoughts? Was thinking maybe 4-6 790 and 7-pw 770.

I’m a low single digit cap, looking to own a set to have some fun with.

PS: Anyone faming the 3 iron like a hybrid? Thinking to get the 3 iron as well.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Thinking to buy a set of these. Seems like most guys are not comboing them with the 770. Thoughts? Was thinking maybe 4-6 790 and 7-pw 770.

I don't think many people are creating true combo sets like you typically see. Good amount of low handicappers (and pros) putting in only one or two P790 long irons to complete their blade set ups.

Regarding your hybrid question, I ended up doing that except with my 4... First time I've ever not bagged a 4 iron simply because the P790 5 iron goes as far as my old 3 iron haha. Dropped the 4 iron with a hyrbrid and dropped the 3 iron for a 5 wood. Lots of fun shot in the bag now :)

Now im no single digit cap but I just put in an order for exactly what your describing except I also added the 770 GW. I tested both the 770 and the 790's and with the 7 iron I was getting more distance with the 790's but not enough to make me sway one way or the other. I ended up going with the combo set because I want the control and consistency that I feel is better with the 770 and the extra distance the 790's give in the long irons. From reading others reviews on here it sound like some don't have any issues with fliers which was a concern for me. With my current set ( Callaway steelhead xr pro) this is one of my main complaints. I will get fliers that carry an extra 10 yrds at times and just dont have the control i need on pitch shots. This experience is one of the pain reasons I went with the 770 and not the 790 in the short irons.

As far as gapping, I haven't received them and hit them yet but i had the 7 bent 1 deg. strong, the 6 bent 1.5 deg. weak and 5 1 deg weak. I based this off of taylormade's recommended chart but will have to see how they blend.

I'm a low single digit cap, looking to own a set to have some fun with.

I don't think many people are creating true combo sets like you typically see. Good amount of low handicappers (and pros) putting in only one or two P790 long irons to complete their blade set ups.

Regarding your hybrid question, I ended up doing that except with my 4... First time I've ever not bagged a 4 iron simply because the P790 5 iron goes as far as my old 3 iron haha. Dropped the 4 iron with a hyrbrid and dropped the 3 iron for a 5 wood. Lots of fun shot in the bag now :)

i agree with the distance increase here

i just dropped my driving iron (2 - 18') in favour of my 790 4 iron - better height and same carry / similar total - just a better flight overall

i can only imagine how far the 790 3i could go.......

Height on these neuters hybrids in my view (hate them anyway to be honest)

good luck

I'm a low single digit cap, looking to own a set to have some fun with.

i agree with the distance increase here

i just dropped my driving iron (2 - 18') in favour of my 790 4 iron - better height and same carry / similar total - just a better flight overall

i can only imagine how far the 790 3i could go.......

Height on these neuters hybrids in my view (hate them anyway to be honest)

good luck

I suspect that you have good club head speed. I'm 63 and people like myself with slower club head speed (driver = 85 - 91 mph) just can't generate enough speed to use their longer irons and driving irons. That's why I enjoy using those hybrids and lofted fairway woods.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield