2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Just had a "Fitting"-Tell me if they're full of BS!

smalls

Just like the title says, I just had a "fitting" from a major OEM. They came out to my course, I hit on the range, and I got to try a lot of options out as far as club heads and shafts. BUT, they didn't take any measurements, didn't set up a launch monitor (at least not for me! They had a trackman and some other monitor there) and they only had standard length iron shafts. When I mentioned the length issue (I'm short, which was one of the reasons for getting fit in the first place) I was just told to choke up about half an inch. Didn't even use tape or a lie board to check my lie angles, just asked me what I thought I liked and handed me that head.

What really surprised me was that when we started talking build specs I was told that they didn't swing weight as part of the build process. If I ordered 1/2" short they would cut the shafts, but they wouldn't even attempt to adjust the swing weight. AND the fitter say that's standard practice for pretty much all OEM's. That struck me as odd. Anyone else hear that before?

All that being said, I'm glad I had the opportunity. I'm seriously looking for new irons and I have a better understanding of what types of heads I should be looking at, and I think I have a pretty good idea what shaft I should be using. I plan on at least one or two more fittings based on my coach's recommendations so I'm not too disappointed that this one was a little bit of a bust. Hopefully the next one is a little more productive.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had misfits in the past; they look at me and assume 1/2” cut and 2* flat; this causes me to hunch and swing utterly flat to route at the ball. Also, the shorter shaft doesn’t match my swing radius and makes me want to swing even faster.

I’m short as well but my clubs are standard length and lie angle, but that works for me because of my swing mechanics/dynamic fittings.

As for swing weights, everybody is different. I prefer d4 to d2 progression.

I can’t feel and dislike D0 yet my friend who is a better golfer than me plays C-9 to D0 range.

Static fitting is a good starting point but dynamic fitting is the truth to your swing.

Yeah that sounds more like a demo day, and not a great one at that.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

WOW! Almost sounds like a BB store?! I have been to TM, Titleist, Callaway, Ping for fittings and were nothing like your experience. I would move on from that fitting and try someone else. Almost sounds like they were not interested in you as a customer!?

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I have gone through a few different fittings and have left disappointed each time. Whether it was lack of knowledge or lack of equipment on hand I just haven't found anyone that I feel comfortable with to get me into the right specs. These are all examples from three different fitters. Examples:

1) I swing driver in the 110-114 range with an aggressive transition and at my last Titleist demo day fitting the fitter recommended me in a Stiff flex shaft. Why? Probably because it was all he had on hand. He never even tried putting me in an X Flex. Now, these demo days are typically 15-20 minute sessions so these guys aren't getting too thorough.

2) I received a gift card to get fit at a local spot that has Trackman. The fitter was trying his hardest to fit me into Steel Fiber shafts. Then he hands me a KBS Tour 90 shaft thinking it was a KBS Tour shaft. I had to correct him saying that it was a Tour 90 and not a KBS tour. Turns out he didn't have the Tour in a X Flex. Then he tries fitting me into set of JPX 900 Forged irons because my 716 CB's were too spinny and Titleist clubs "spin too much." He was trying to sell me on the distance gains between the two clubs and I told him that I would expect a club that was lofted almost a full club stronger to go a full club longer. He had no idea the two clubs were lofted so differenty.

3) This fitter was the best but he didin't have two of the three shafts that I needed to try on hand.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Although the OEM's do adjust swingweight based on length and shaft, they really only have one head and use shaft tip weights. A horrible method in my opinion. I always remove any tip weights and use lead tape. Otherwise you are bring the center of gravity away from the center of the face.

Furthermore, just because you are short does not mean you need shorter clubs. It has more to do with your wrist to floor measurement.

Less loft would decrease spin... As long as launch and height stayed consistent with the JPX 900 I agree that you should optimize spin through loft. Don't get caught up on static loft as it is pretty irrelevant (other than it's effect on spin, launch and height).

I have gone through a few different fittings and have left disappointed each time. Whether it was lack of knowledge or lack of equipment on hand I just haven't found anyone that I feel comfortable with to get me into the right specs. These are all examples from three different fitters. Examples:

1) I swing driver in the 110-114 range with an aggressive transition and at my last Titleist demo day fitting the fitter recommended me in a Stiff flex shaft. Why? Probably because it was all he had on hand. He never even tried putting me in an X Flex. Now, these demo days are typically 15-20 minute sessions so these guys aren't getting too thorough.

2) I received a gift card to get fit at a local spot that has Trackman. The fitter was trying his hardest to fit me into Steel Fiber shafts. Then he hands me a KBS Tour 90 shaft thinking it was a KBS Tour shaft. I had to correct him saying that it was a Tour 90 and not a KBS tour. Turns out he didn't have the Tour in a X Flex. Then he tries fitting me into set of JPX 900 Forged irons because my 716 CB's were too spinny and Titleist clubs "spin too much." He was trying to sell me on the distance gains between the two clubs and I told him that I would expect a club that was lofted almost a full club stronger to go a full club longer. He had no idea the two clubs were lofted so differenty.

3) This fitter was the best but he didin't have two of the three shafts that I needed to try on hand.

Less loft would decrease spin... As long as launch and height stayed consistent with the JPX 900 I agree that you should optimize spin through loft. Don't get caught up on static loft as it is pretty irrelevant (other than it's effect on spin, launch and height).

He was mainly trying to sell me on the distance difference between my 716 CB 6 iron and the JPX 900 forged 6 iron. Of course my 716 CB 6 iron loft with 31 degrees of loft wouldn't go as far as a 27 degree 6 iron. I'm sure that works on the less knowledgeable consumer but not me.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Although the OEM's do adjust swingweight based on length and shaft, they really only have one head and use shaft tip weights. A horrible method in my opinion. I always remove any tip weights and use lead tape. Otherwise you are bring the center of gravity away from the center of the face.

Furthermore, just because you are short does not mean you need shorter clubs. It has more to do with your wrist to floor measurement.

The amount of tip weight required to move the CG even the tiniest amount is beyond what you'd ever see used. 4/6/8/10 gram tip weights are all perfectly safe and normal to use.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

That isn't a fitting...more like a demo day when a golf show comes to your town. If it was supposed to be a real "fitting", I'd would mention this to the OEM's head office and tell them your experience. Obviously they wouldn't treat their tour players like this, why would they do that to you?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Massive difference between a fitting and a demo day, as people have said this was a demo day.

Why did you think it was a fitting??

Because it was advertised as a fitting. I had to make an appointment. And the guy handing me clubs was a fitter. I didn't just walk up to the range, see a tent full of clubs, and think "I'm getting a fitting today!"

He was trying to sell me on the distance gains between the two clubs and I told him that I would expect a club that was lofted almost a full club stronger to go a full club longer.

I had the same experience yesterday. "Wow this new club is way longer than your club." Well, my club is an 8 iron with pretty traditional loft, this is a new distance iron 7 iron with super juiced loft so really more like a 6 iron, maybe even a 5. It better be longer!

Massive difference between a fitting and a demo day, as people have said this was a demo day.

Because it was advertised as a fitting. I had to make an appointment. And the guy handing me clubs was a fitter. I didn't just walk up to the range, see a tent full of clubs, and think "I'm getting a fitting today!"

That's a mega garbage fitting then. Did you pay money? If you didn't... then they tricked you. It was a demo they tried to disguise as a fitting, because no fitting is free. Not a good one at least.

Just like the title says, I just had a "fitting" from a major OEM. They came out to my course, I hit on the range, and I got to try a lot of options out as far as club heads and shafts. BUT, they didn't take any measurements, didn't set up a launch monitor (at least not for me! They had a trackman and some other monitor there) and they only had standard length iron shafts. When I mentioned the length issue (I'm short, which was one of the reasons for getting fit in the first place) I was just told to choke up about half an inch. Didn't even use tape or a lie board to check my lie angles, just asked me what I thought I liked and handed me that head.

What really surprised me was that when we started talking build specs I was told that they didn't swing weight as part of the build process. If I ordered 1/2" short they would cut the shafts, but they wouldn't even attempt to adjust the swing weight. AND the fitter say that's standard practice for pretty much all OEM's. That struck me as odd. Anyone else hear that before?

All that being said, I'm glad I had the opportunity. I'm seriously looking for new irons and I have a better understanding of what types of heads I should be looking at, and I think I have a pretty good idea what shaft I should be using. I plan on at least one or two more fittings based on my coach's recommendations so I'm not too disappointed that this one was a little bit of a bust. Hopefully the next one is a little more productive.

I would call the headquarter of the OEM and let them know of your displeasure with their "fitting".

You basically did.

I've seen demo days where you can schedule an appointment. Also, a full bag fitting can be hundreds of dollars. Hope that's not what was spent.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I've seen demo days where you can schedule an appointment. Also, a full bag fitting can be hundreds of dollars. Hope that's not what was spent.

Yes I have seen this to. A demo day that you can schedule a fitting at

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Definitely just a demo day! My local shop has a big Demo day. Some of the OEM guys will actually fit people (they have the trackman/Flightscope, etc). Otherwise, they can come back and the local shop will fit them with their own Flightscope/board/etc...) Free of charge as long as they purchase through them.

Look at it this way, at least the “fitting” was so bad that you know not to trust the results. Plenty of people spend a small fortune on clubs following something like this and never figure out why their newly fitted clubs never quite work for them.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I wonder what the definition of a "short" golfer is? I stand about 5' 9" - 5' 10" and most would say I'm short. I use standard length, standard lie clubs. Of course I have a loft and lie machine and I know how to ensure the lie angle is absolutely spot on.

Sounds like the OP attended a demo day that was passed on as a fitting. Too bad this miscommunication happened whether it was intentional or not.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

OK, here's the answers to all of your questions:

Short is 5'3"

I did not pay anything.

My club periodically schedules fittings with the different OEMs they carry. This is why I didn't pay anything.

This WAS a major OEM, one of the ones mentioned in this thread in fact. Everything was run through their fitting department website. We were scheduled for an hour. I'm not putting the company or the fitters on blast. The fitters were actually pretty helpful all things considered. I know I don't want or need shovels, and I've got my shaft selection narrowed down considerably.

I've got a lesson with my pro tomorrow. I'll mention the issues I had. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

My issue isn't that I thought I got suckered into a demo day when I signed up for a fitting. It was the bit about how "No OEM's swing weight." Basically they come out the weight they come out and that's as good as it gets. That part sounded like bull. Just curious if anyone had any info to prove or disprove that assertion.

IMO your displeasure with the situation- swing weight issue- indicates that you were dealing with the retail section of that OEM, not a true club builder. As you know there are all kinds of ways to affect swingweight, and while there might be some finite boundaries due to the clubhead, I bet any of the pros playing for this OEM could get their swingweight tweaked to their liking.

That being said if you didn’t pay anything for this “session” I don’t see where the real problem is.

They do these events several times per year at my course.....either Titleist or TMag.....it's on the range, they set up a tent and either someone from Titleist or TMag comes to do the "fitting" or the pro/asst pro does it. Appointments needed. They either have trackman or something to get the numbers. IMO it's a more personalized demo. It certainly doesn't resemble what I would consider a fitting, which would be one on one, ability to get measurements, check for lie, etc. Time to talk about my game, a chance for the fitter to see me hit my gamers. Not saying it couldn't happen in this format, but they don't have the time or gear to do an in depth fitting.