Bryson DeChambeau WITB: 2018 Farmers Insurance

GolfWRX

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

That equipment isn't weird. The one length irons have a large number of users and more are changing as word of mouth gives them good reviews.

You should try them for a season and then critique them.

According to Tom Wishon, Sterling one-length irons sales are way off in Year 2.

Love the bag for sure! If Ping ever made a single length set I'd get on board and try them out. Maybe not a full set, but if you could get me the 5-9 all the same length, then maybe step down the wedges... I've heard that the single biggest complaint about the SLI, the wedges are super awkward to try to hit a soft chip with a 7i length club.

I'm a big BAD supporter, I think the game needs more guys like him. If he'd only go back to his side saddle I'd stop getting so much crap for it...

I'm with you on the Pings; they're the only thing that could get me away from my Sterlings. But I don't agree with your comment about wedges.

The advantage of the single-length approach is just that: one length. Your logic is common among those who haven't done this: get the advantage of shorter "long" irons without the disadvantage of longer "short irons" and wedges. But it really defeats the main purpose of grooving one swing. It took a little practice, but I hit my Sterling wedges (PW and GW) just as well as the other irons and better than my old ones. That's because I'm more consistent throughout the set. So much so that--even though I swore I wouldn't do it--I'm considering getting the SW and LW just to see how they are.

So you actually think SL sets are a new idea?

Cool. Go find a company willing to properly build you a set like Edel did for Bryson. Even more so than regular sets, the single length sets require a lot of expensive ( very time consuming) work.

Is that what you did with YOUR SL set? I mean, surely you must have experienced a set to pontificate on them in such a persistently negative manner. Please don't disappoint by telling us you haven't played a set for a year or longer!

Actually SL sets are a very old idea, going back to the days of hickory shafts. But engineering them with steel shafts required very recently developed technologies in head design.

I must admit, I am not too keen on this blokes personality, but having watched a few of the videos abut him on YouTube, I must admit he does make things look a lot simpler in the way he goes about the game, from the single length irons to the fat grips.

His swing is very simple and therefore easier to repeat and we all know this game is about consistency, if we hit a good or bad shot we want to know what went wrong, if you do the same thing every time, you get used to expecting the same result and if it is a simple method there are far fewer things to go wrong.

Now I really cannot see me going the single length route, I am too much of a traditionalist to do that and I really think they look horrid in the way they sit in the bag, I can often be caught out just staring at my clubs as they, in my opinion, look like works of art, almost a sculpture that can be walked around....sorry, I digress.

To get back to the purpose of my post here, it will be interesting to see if any other pros go along a similar route, maybe the next great one will be hatched using tools such as Brysons'!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He registered another win today in Jack's tournament

On his process switching from Bridgestone's B330S golf ball to the Tour B X:

I played the B330S ball for a while, but then I had to switch to something that didn't spin as much. When I did that my distances were going 7 to 8 yards farther, and then depending on the conditions at hand, it could change more or less off those numbers.

We spent three or four hours out at TPC Las Colinas, where I'm practicing and playing out of right now, to determine how much more consistent the new ball was. I'm testing it on the range but also taking it out on the course to determine how it reacts into the wind and downwind. I'm also looking to see how it reacts off of different lies, whether the spin rates change — just get comfortable with every situation.

I'm also looking at what happens when my adrenaline hikes up because that can change the neuromuscular transmission of your rhythm, so you have to take account for that and know what happens in those situations. There are a bunch of variables.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

This kid needs to understand his weird equipment isn't gonna benefit him in the long run. I think he's got a ton of potential but until he conforms to what works instead of what in theory could work he will never reach it.

Brilliant call.

LOL. A lot of improved processes and products in this world would of never occurred if everyone had taken the above advice

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

I'm excited every time he wins or is in contention.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Guys that say he is arrogant and entitled don't know him. I know his father and played golf with him when Bryson was just a kid. He comes from a moderate income family. His dad worked at the golf club where Bryson's coach works, very average lifestyle. He is not entitled and had to work hard for his game just like every other person who plays golf. His arrogant personality is mistaken for confidence. Check the story of his dad and you find out what it's all about. Mike Watney, once the golf coach for Fresno State, yes Nick Watney's uncle. offered to give Jon, (Bryce's father) his kidney, because Jon needs a transplant do to sugar diabetes, which caused Jon to lose his foot last year. There's more to this kid than you think!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

I'm sure Cobra is insistent on using their irons since they built their single iron business with him in mind, but I wonder if he would prefer to go back to Edel (even though he has played really well of late!)

I think he's doing OK with Cobra.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I have that same putter, it is pretty awesome. best feeling putter i have ever tried.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

If he was true to his philosophy, then all the clubs from the 60 degree Wedge to driver should have the same length shaft.

This is obviously not the case.

And his 4 and 5 i, are longer length than the other irons.

That picture above the DI look the same length at the 8i right beside them.

As for the lengths, I bet it would be hard to get a driver with a 7i lie angle...

Not sure his "approach" ever really included single length everything...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

That equipment isn't weird. The one length irons have a large number of users and more are changing as word of mouth gives them good reviews.

You should try them for a season and then critique them.

Not to spoil your fun but you may want to look up the definition of "weird", "large" and possibly "good".

They do not have a large number of users, they are "weird" and "good" reviews are only from the SMALL number of people who have convinced themselves they work. They would have gotten much more benefit if they had spent their money of a proper fitting and maybe a course management class.

So are you still playing a 150cc wooden driver head? A steel shaft in your driver and fairway woods? An 8802 or bullseye putter? How about a wound ball? A sand wedge without a large flange and bounce? All of these were deemed weird and had 'mixed' reviews upon release. Thankfully people choose not to conform and to look past what everyone else is doing.

We don't live in a world of standardization, we live in a world of customization! Golf is no different

So you actually think SL sets are a new idea?

Cool. Go find a company willing to properly build you a set like Edel did for Bryson. Even more so than regular sets, the single length sets require a lot of expensive ( very time consuming) work.

If we all conformed to one way of doing things we would all be playing wooden shafts and driving Ford Model Ts.....

NCAA Individual title, US Amateur, now 2 tour wins and #22 in the world....so much for conformity.

No, one length irons are not new. In fact Tommy Armour had single length 845S in the mid 1990's. As far as being much more expensive just stop and think a minute... if changing the lie angles or lengths was expensive and time consuming noone would get custom fit for their irons. You only have to add or subtract 2 or 3 degrees in the lie angle to make all clubs the lie angle of a 7 iron and only add or subtract an inch or 2 to get to the same length. Neither of which is time consuming or expensive.

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Thing that surprises me is that he's still sticking with LTD in the driver and 3w. I think even Lexi finally changed this year to the F8 line after being in LTD for longer than normal. Seeing as he's such a numbers guy, he probably has no reason to make the switch if he's getting near perfect launch conditions.

He has some serious speed, too... Doesn't look like it but I saw he was getting 170mph ball speed off the 3w late yesterday...he can bring it.

If we all conformed to one way of doing things we would all be playing wooden shafts and driving Ford Model Ts.....

NCAA Individual title, US Amateur, now 2 tour wins and #22 in the world....so much for conformity.

No, one length irons are not new. In fact Tommy Armour had single length 845S in the mid 1990's. As far as being much more expensive just stop and think a minute... if changing the lie angles or lengths was expensive and time consuming noone would get custom fit for their irons. You only have to add or subtract 2 or 3 degrees in the lie angle to make all clubs the lie angle of a 7 iron and only add or subtract an inch or 2 to get to the same length. Neither of which is time consuming or expensive.

You’re forgetting swingweight, all the heads have to be the same weight, wedges are typically ~300 grams, easy to grind weight off of those, but the lower lofted irons have to have ALOT, as much as 30+ grams added. New molds/dies or adding weight = machining costs and = $$$$$$

Titleist TSi3 - 10 Degree - C1 - T1 - XC-6 S 44.75"

Titleist TSR3 - 15 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 75S 

Titleist TSR3 - 18 Degree - C1 - T1 - Tensei 1K Black 85S 

FliHi Pro 3 - 20 Degrees - ProjectXU 6.0

MP-18 - 4, 5 MMC FliHi, 6 SC, 7, 8, 9 Blade - Oban CT-125 S

Mack Daddy Forged 50, 54 @ 55 and 60 DG S200's

All Irons and Wedges 4 Degrees Flat

Golf Pride Victory Cords on all the above - IYKYK!!!

Ping Cadence Ketsch - 34" w/ SuperStroke Wrist Lock

You're forgetting swingweight, all the heads have to be the same weight, wedges are typically ~300 grams, easy to grind weight off of those, but the lower lofted irons have to have ALOT, as much as 30+ grams added. New molds/dies or adding weight = machining costs and = $$$$$$

All they need to do is have Ping make them and I'm sure they'd have plenty of people willing to try. Still half considering ordering a set of G400's tweaked to SL specs.

I love the idea, but I looked at some of the Cobra SL irons and they looked pretty awkward to me. But I hit G25 irons, so nothing looks quite as good as those beauties...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

You're forgetting swingweight, all the heads have to be the same weight, wedges are typically ~300 grams, easy to grind weight off of those, but the lower lofted irons have to have ALOT, as much as 30+ grams added. New molds/dies or adding weight = machining costs and = $$$$$$

yeah.... I didn't think about the SW but if you check some of the places that sell components you can buy the SL heads for about $15 each.... not a lot more than the regular heads...so it can't be that hard to get them all the same weight, I guess....I'm no expert but the cost factor seems to be a minimal difference.

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

If he was true to his philosophy, then all the clubs from the 60 degree Wedge to driver should have the same length shaft.

This is obviously not the case.

And his 4 and 5 i, are longer length than the other irons.

Where did you get this nugget of info?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

@hackinator, where did he ever say every club in his bag would be one length? Why such a hater? He's found something that works for him because he didn't just follow the pack blindly. Give him credit where it's due.

What id really like to see are those lie angles. Aren't they super upright? 74* or something along those lines?

He registered another win today in Jack's tournament

On his process switching from Bridgestone's B330S golf ball to the Tour B X:

I played the B330S ball for a while, but then I had to switch to something that didn't spin as much. When I did that my distances were going 7 to 8 yards farther, and then depending on the conditions at hand, it could change more or less off those numbers.

We spent three or four hours out at TPC Las Colinas, where I'm practicing and playing out of right now, to determine how much more consistent the new ball was. I'm testing it on the range but also taking it out on the course to determine how it reacts into the wind and downwind. I'm also looking to see how it reacts off of different lies, whether the spin rates change — just get comfortable with every situation.

I'm also looking at what happens when my adrenaline hikes up because that can change the neuromuscular transmission of your rhythm, so you have to take account for that and know what happens in those situations. There are a bunch of variables.

I always forget to account for the neuromuscular transmission of my ryrhym! Rookie mistake on my part. :)