2018 Taylormade project (a)

craz-e

This is an excellent golf ball! In my opinion the best Taylormade ball since the TP Black. I am 51 years old with a swing speed around 95-97 on a day where my back is feeling good. The Project A just seems to fit my swing better than the TP5 for a few less dollars. As much as I like a few others like the Snell MTB Black and Encore Elixr, this ball just workIs better for me. It flys about 10 yards further off the tee and feels great with my irons and wedges. Putting is right on par with other good tour balls and it has a great feel off my Evenroll putter. My only dissapointment is that I did not try it sooner.

Highly recommend for those with a swing speed in the 90s.

This is an excellent golf ball! In my opinion the best Taylormade ball since the TP Black. I am 51 years old with a swing speed around 95-97 on a day where my back is feeling good. The Project A just seems to fit my swing better than the TP5 for a few less dollars. As much as I like a few others like the Snell MTB Black and Encore Elixr, this ball just workIs better for me. It flys about 10 yards further off the tee and feels great with my irons and wedges. Putting is right on par with other good tour balls and it has a great feel off my Evenroll putter. My only dissapointment is that I did not try it sooner.

Have really enjoyed the performance of the prior gen A in yellow. The green side action is great. Is it worth experimenting with other similar balls, like Q Star Tour?

Have really enjoyed the performance of the prior gen A in yellow. The green side action is great. Is it worth experimenting with other similar balls, like Q Star Tour?

IMO (a) is much better ball than qst. More spin and softer feeling for me.

Btw I just noticed that there is scratcher underneath the box of project a for Buy 4 get 1 1dz free promo. This was inside the bonus pack so it's technically buy 4dz get 2dz free!!

Any there's now dad-ism promo so until fathers day it's buy 4dz get 3dz free!!!

I have played a few rounds with the ball and it is ok but didn't really wow me. I am about 100 mph with the driver. I have generally played the ProV and prefer that ball still. For almost $20 a dozen less it is a very solid ball. I don't lose a lot of golf balls so the extra cost for balls doesn't worry me too much.

Finally played the Project (a) this weekend. Started off with the Project (a), then since the course was wide open, I played it along side the QST. Both balls were great off of the driver. The Project (a) flew a little lower than the QST for me, but total distance they were very close. Feel was similar off of the driver. Ball flight was the only way I would be able to tell the 2 apart in a blind test. Off of the irons the balls felt similar but I was getting about 3-5 yards more carry from the QST. Both balls were stopping quickly on the green with full iron shots. On full wedge shots the QST had a little more spin for me. On 1/2 swing pitches the difference was minimal. Putting, once again they were very similar.

IMO the Project (a) is a great ball for the price. If the QST was not already in my bag for my lower compression ball, the Project (a) would probably make it in my bag.

I haven’t played the new version yet, but have played the orders ones quite a bit.

I love the feel of the ball across the board (driver, irons, putter), and think it performs well around the greens.

But it seems a bit shorter off the tee for me. Enough so to be noticeable.

Hit my longest drive yet with my new swing and a Project A this year, 244yds as per the cart's GPS. I used to be stuck around 220yds.

Will test the A against more balls as I solidify this new swing, but for now it's a great ball and with the free sleeve promos I can't pass it up.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I haven’t played the new version yet, but have played the orders ones quite a bit.

I love the feel of the ball across the board (driver, irons, putter), and think it performs well around the greens.

Hit my longest drive yet with my new swing and a Project A this year, 244yds as per the cart's GPS. I used to be stuck around 220yds.

Will test the A against more balls as I solidify this new swing, but for now it's a great ball and with the free sleeve promos I can't pass it up.

Definitely a good deal for a good ball.

I don’t GPS distances so I never have exact numbers. Just know that one of the guys I play with on a regular basis is about 20 yards shorter on a consistent basis. After three tees shots that ended up closer than normal, he commented, “are you not catching it solid today, we’re closer together than normal”.

I switched at the turn to a different ball and the normal gaps were back. Very scientific I know.

I think it may spin just a little much for me with the driver, but I’m just guessing at that.

Definitely a good deal for a good ball.

I don’t GPS distances so I never have exact numbers. Just know that one of the guys I play with on a regular basis is about 20 yards shorter on a consistent basis. After three tees shots that ended up closer than normal, he commented, “are you not catching it solid today, we’re closer together than normal”.

I switched at the turn to a different ball and the normal gaps were back. Very scientific I know. ��

I think it may spin just a little much for me with the driver, but I’m just guessing at that.

Spin is definitely a factor. This ball likes to spin which is good/bad depending on the golfer and the shot that's needed.

My new swing is more through the ball, where as before I was hitting my drives on the upswing causing massive backspin. Probably is contributing to this distance.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

From what I understand, there are three versions/generations of this ball: 2014, 2016, and 2018. Are the intervening odd years the same as the previous even year? How do you differentiate the models?

I just got two dozen of the prior generation balls. They have the black (a) logo. They say 30% softer. But the date on the box says 2015. Are they the older, harder with more driver soon 2014 model or the newer (but not newest 2018) model that is softer with less driver spin? I’d assume the 2016 since it says 30% softer. But the date is 2015.

From what I understand, there are three versions/generations of this ball: 2014, 2016, and 2018. Are the intervening odd years the same as the previous even year? How do you differentiate the models?

I just got two dozen of the prior generation balls. They have the black (a) logo. They say 30% softer. But the date on the box says 2015. Are they the older, harder with more driver soon 2014 model or the newer (but not newest 2018) model that is softer with less driver spin? I'd assume the 2016 since it says 30% softer. But the date is 2015.

black (a) is 2014

red (a) is 2016

just <-(a)-> is current 2018 version.

2014 is really not a good ball. Very hard feeling. 2016 is much better and 2018 has improved a bit, but not worth paying retail of $35 for. With current deal ($19/dz) though, I would buy 2018 version.

I don't think Tmag spends much time/marketing on project a's. They release it with heavy promotion, then let it sit for 2 years.

Hmmm.

This is a review of the 2014 version. It shows a red (a).

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-news/taylormade-project-a-ball-2719.aspx

Here’s the 2016 version review. Shows a black (a).

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/taylormade-project-a-2016-golf-ball-review-3586.aspx

What year was listed on the box of yours? Did the box day New and 30% softer core?

Hmmm.

http://www.golfalot....-ball-2719.aspx

Here's the 2016 version review. Shows a black (a).

http://www.golfalot....eview-3586.aspx

What year was listed on the box of yours? Did the box day New and 30% softer core?

The second photo for the 16's shows a red a

Hmmm.

In two different photos, it showed one black and one red. My guess is that they pulled an older photo. I can only assume this since the 2014 review had balls with the red (a). So, either the photo was old (or of the old ball) or both the 2014 and 2016 versions have the red logo.

Hmmm.

2014 = red (a)

2016 = black (a)

Found a pic from a competing forum from 2014 with a ball cut in half containing the Red (a) stamp and lime green core.

I still have a sleeve from TaylorMade's Project(a) giveaway in 2016. Black (a) stamp.

Lastly here is Rick Shiels December 2017 review. Black (a) stamp and darker green core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLO2GfobOcQ

My sleeve I’m looking at right now says 2015 on the back, and it is all black ‘project a’

My sleeve with 2018 on the back has a red ‘project a’ on the side of th balls

2015:

My sleeve I’m looking at right now says 2015 on the back, and it is all black ‘project a’

My sleeve with 2018 on the back has a red ‘project a’ on the side of th balls

2015:

My sleeve I'm looking at right now says 2015 on the back, and it is all black 'project a'

My sleeve with 2018 on the back has a red 'project a' on the side of th balls

2015:

I have the same sleeve that TaylorMade sent as part of the 2nd gen promo in mid 2016. You will notice that one of the sides of the sleeve mentions a 40 compression number which was not included on the 2014 release packaging. Also the date likely points to the most current copywrite renewal year that TaylorMade had at the time that the packaging was printed.

My sleeve I'm looking at right now says 2015 on the back, and it is all black 'project a'

2015:

I have the same sleeve that TaylorMade sent as part of the 2nd gen promo in mid 2016. You will notice that one of the sides of the sleeve mentions a 40 compression number which was not included on the 2014 release packaging. Also the date likely points to the most current copywrite renewal year that TaylorMade had at the time that the packaging was printed.

Hey guys,

Thanks for giving the Project (a) a try and hopefully this helps:

Project (a) 2014-2015 (white only, sidestamp: Project (a), (a) in red): 85 compression ball (60comp core) designed for high spin for am’s into and around the green, also had higher iron/driver spin.

Project (a) 2016-2017 (white and yellow, sidestamp: Project (a), (a) in black): 70 compression ball (40comp core) designed to maintain greenside spin but with softer feel and slightly less iron/driver spin.

Project (a) 2018-2019 (white and yellow, sidestamp: <(a)> in red): 70 compression ball (35comp core), new material between core/cover, new cover and dimple pattern. Designed to maintain greenside spin and soft feel but significantly reduce driver/iron spin as well as improved aerodynamics for more distance and better performance in windy conditions.

Project (a) 2020? would love to hear your feedback on the 2018 version so we can incorporate into our development cycles.

Thanks

2015:

Hey guys,

Thanks for giving the Project (a) a try and hopefully this helps:

Project (a) 2014-2015 (white only, sidestamp: Project (a), (a) in red): 85 compression ball (60comp core) designed for high spin for am’s into and around the green, also had higher iron/driver spin.

Project (a) 2016-2017 (white and yellow, sidestamp: Project (a), (a) in black): 70 compression ball (40comp core) designed to maintain greenside spin but with softer feel and slightly less iron/driver spin.

Project (a) 2018-2019 (white and yellow, sidestamp: <(a)> in red): 70 compression ball (35comp core), new material between core/cover, new cover and dimple pattern. Designed to maintain greenside spin and soft feel but significantly reduce driver/iron spin as well as improved aerodynamics for more distance and better performance in windy conditions.

Project (a) 2020? would love to hear your feedback on the 2018 version so we can incorporate into our development cycles.

Thanks

Welcome, TM Golf Ball ENGR. It's nice to have an expert on the site. Would you agree the 16 A in yellow has a greenish tint to it? How does the 18 A in yellow differ? Tanner

Thanks

Incorporate some low-flight characteristics into this ball like Titleist did with the AVX. If the Project A was the same price in 2020 with all the same characteristics of the current ball - PLUS low-flight trajectory it would literally be the best ball ever made.