2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Stratton's WITB ~Red White & PING~ **NEW UPDATE VIDEO PAGE 18**

Got to think being part of that National Championship team will make things a little sweeter. So in his time there. He was big 12 individual champion (2016), all American (2016), and now national champion. Oh yeah and got a solid education in the process. Congrats to you Stratton and Breck.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

Thanks guys. It has definately been a bitter sweet time for Stratton. Can't thank Coach Mike McGraw enough for offering Stratton a scholarship to play for his childhood dream school. Stratton graduated with TWO degrees (Finance and Accounting) He made the presidents list 3 times, and deans list another 4 times along with his accomplishements on the course. He will be turning pro just after he competes for a final time in the Texas State Amateur at Whispering Pines GC where he won the Big 12 Championship Individual title. Well, that is IF he does not make it through his US Open Sectional next week. He made it through the local and tees it up Monday in the Sectional. If he makes it to the US Open, he will go ahead and turn pro since it is the same dates as the TX Am. He is doing great right now. He is living on the first hole at Oak Tree National GC with Willie Wood and Hayden. Must be nice to walk out and practice and play against a legend like Willie Wood as well as getting to play that track every day!

He will be working the oSu golf camp this summer as that is always a highlight for him. The campers flock to him and he enjoys it as much as they do. It has DEFINITELY been a learning experience this year and I hope it will serve him well in the future. This team was a tight knit group that had great times together and I know that was one of the main keys to their success. I will post some pics when I get a chance and I can talk a little more freely now. Stratton is still all PING (except wedges Titleist Vokey) and putts with a MACHINE putter.

oklahoma-state-2018-ncaa-champioship-viktor-hovland.jpg

Good to hear from you. Good luck to Stratton on the future. Go Pokes.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

ORANGE!!!!

POWER!!!!!

Couldn't leave that out there hanging.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

This has been such a cool thread to follow since the beginning

Thanks for the updates!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Very cool journey for your boy and the rest of the team. The show "Driven" is one of the TGC's best, Fowler did a nice job with it. Best of luck to Stratton in turning pro!

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Stratton made it interesting in his USGA Secrional that he and a lot of his teammates were playing. Stratton closed with a -7 (65) but came up a few strokes shy as his even par first round dug a hole too deep to climb out of. Houston this time of year playing 36 is BRUTAL. I am sore and worn out today. Stratton got up this morning and headed back to Stillwater to work the Cowboy Golf Camp.

Scores from the oSu players in this sectional:

Stratton Nolen 72/65 - 137 -7

Brenden Jelley 68-69 -137 -7

Matt Wolff 71-67 - 138 -6

Viktor Hovland 76- WD

http://www.ghintpp.c...ke.aspx?id=1238

Curious if Stratton ever considered transferring given the competitive nature of the team and not getting into matches after having success. Given that he intends to go pro how much does not playing in matches hurt him? I take it not much since he still has Karsten Creek as a home course to prep on?

Wishing him continued success.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Curious if Stratton ever considered transferring given the competitive nature of the team and not getting into matches after having success. Given that he intends to go pro how much does not playing in matches hurt him? I take it not much since he still has Karsten Creek as a home course to prep on?

Wishing him continued success.

I was contacted by back channel people wanting to know if he would transfer. Primarily three schools, but the two schools he considered have won recent championships and are top D1 programs. He could have transferred to either and played but in the end, he did not want to damage relationships that he has built with people associated with the oSu program as well as his teammates. He weighed both sides of this realizing that he was never going to get the benefit of doubt from this coach. He decided to stay. Who knows if that was better or worse for him. I will say that this was a miserable year for him mentally as well as for some of the other players there that were in a similar position. There are players leaving there early as we speak for much the same reasons. The numbers game of players that remain following this championship season is going to be something to watch. Stratton loves the oSu program, the school, his teammates and the contacts he has made there. Had you offered Stratton one of these two things when he signed: 1) You will win a collegiate event, Be the Big12 individual Champion, be an All American, receive two degrees, win the Directors Chair @ oSu for having the highest GPA for your sport, be part of a National Championship team vs 2) playing all four years at another school...........He would choose 1) every time even with the heartache and behind the scenes BS. His time there has had its ups and downs, but none of that was ever because of the school or teammates. He is in SUCH a better place mentally right now. Watching him this last weekend, proves to me how important it is for a player to be mentally free from trying to play to change one person's mind about you. Stratton is free of that and feels good about himself once again and his numbers already show it. He loves oSu and everything that is oSu golf. Nothing will take that away and he will always be a part of the oSu golf history in accomplishing something more than just being there.

He can go back to Karsten as much as he wants while being a pro to practice or play, HOWEVER, Oak Tree National is his home course now. He fortunately is living on the first hole with oSu golf legend and pro Willie Wood and Hayden. They have a lot of pros at OTN and being around these guys and being able to play and practicing with them is exactly what he needs. He has told me point blank that OTN is the best course he has ever played to prepare him for the next level.

oaktree_4.jpg

This is hard for me to say being the OSU fan I am, but I secretively hoped he transferred and came back and beat us. I figured with all his course knowledge some other D1 would want that as the NCAA championship was at KC.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

This is hard for me to say being the OSU fan I am, but I secretively hoped he transferred and came back and beat us. I figured with all his course knowledge some other D1 would want that as the NCAA championship was at KC.

LOL trust me, that went through my mind constantly and I am sure his as well. I really feel just as bad for Sam this year. He played really well the whole second semester winning a lot of the qualifying yet wasted his senior year for one or two starts. Stratton let this mentally get to him and kind of packed it in early I felt and his game showed it. All ANY of those players wanted was legitimate qualifying criteria. Had this been in place, the players need to only look at themselves if they didn't earn it by scores.

Deerslayer, Thank you for sharing that glimpse into Stratton's experience at OSU .

Your post echoes a brief conversation I had with a gentlemen about the program, I played in a member guest about a year ago at a prominent Denver CC. In our foursome I spoke with a gentlemen who was very familiar with the OSU program and a former OSU player. I mentioned Stratton and this thread, he was familiar with him The gentlemen said that Stratton was an exceptional kid and that he could play at any Div 1 program in the country as a top 5 player and a number 1 at most schools. In reality as could any of the ten at OSU. He said that there is a definite benefit to playing at OSU, but you had better be able to put your ego aside because it is a program like with golf it's self of "what have you done for me lately". He was careful I think not to say anything bad about the program, but he was also careful not to sing it's praises too much. But not much was excepted from a 10 minute conversation.

This entire thread as been a great pleasure to follow I wish Stratton and your family all the best going forward in whatever the next leg of this journey brings you all. Please keep us posted.

• 2 months later...

continued success and birds

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 2 months later...

Any update on whether or not Stratton has any status on any of the tours?

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was with Stratton all day yesterday at the PING Tour dept and basically Stratton after testing is going to be doing a 14+ club change. After a LOT of testing his iBlades will be replaced by the i210’s, his Driver 3w will be the G410 plus, 2-pw i210 graphite in 2iron, PUNG Forged wedges and a prototype PLD putter. Going there had a idea, but numbers don’t lie and surprisingly the i210s for him tested quite a bit better than the iBlades and the blueprint irons. Visually not as appealing but performance on miss hit shots was significant. Really impressed with his new driver setup. He has it dialed in for his standard power fade but also can hit his low spin Texas Tumbler when needed. I will get some pics after the set is built. The PLD prototype putter looks good. He has a good rotation that he can go to for all PING putters now by adding this mid mallet design. He still has a couple of wrx blade putters that he is gaming consistently now. The big surprise was the forged wedges. Stratton has been with PING now for over 9yrs and tried gaming their wedges but always ended up going back to Vokey’s. His testing with the forged wedges was awesome and he told me afterwards that these were hands down the best feeling wedges that he has ever tested. He was testing them alongside his new Vokey’s and side by side you could see the difference in his shots. He practices flops, low checking as well as bunker and I he didn’t have any surprises as how the ball came out following a shot. I personally can’t wait to do some aesthetic customization on these wedges as they have a pallet to start with like no other. Pics of the new clubs will follow in in a future post. He was able to get a round in at the Stadium Course yesterday evening.

alykshg9l6jj.jpeg

iuch17zvg3s7.jpeg

p8jzy208d028.jpeg

5rfo4dn08cvg.jpeg

qcpubcy78rn4.jpeg

bubtle5b54h2.jpeg

9h9unk9p2u8s.jpeg

Yes. His initial idea was to build a combo set using the blueprints as his short irons. TBH, he didn’t like their feel and the numbers showed a pretty drastic dispersion with a slight miss. They seem to be good for a high spin high flight player. They were too low spin for him, flight wasn’t too bad but he honestly didn’t like the feel either. Eckroat games them and loves them. Never intended bagging the 210s until he practiced with them. They were incredibly consistent on miss hit strikes distance wise. He could work them too. Numbers were better than the iBlades so instead of getting new iBlades he is going to bag the 210s

DS nice to see you posting again. Always nice to see how things are going for Stratton.

Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V

Additionally, the i210s are special. There’s a reason you see so many of them as full sets and combo’d with iBlades. They just work.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox