Too much to ask? - Ebayers/Sellers

Jusko

To fellow Ebayers or anyone selling equipment on any website:

Is it way too much to ask for sellers to offer pictures that show you the "top line or address" of a golf club? To me this is the most important part after I research a few manufacturers and narrow down what I may purchase. I end up spending loads of time searching for images online and go back and forth from ebay "or wherever" to google. It seems like this happens 90% of the time. Has anyone else had these issues? Do other golfers not care about that top line image? Just curious if I am alone here. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I always do this when I sell and seem to have pretty quick buys with minimal to no questions.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

It is especially annoying with drivers and putters. (irons not so much)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Yeah topline is super important. I think overall photos of the entire club should be provided. I want to know what the ENTIRE thing looks like before I make a decision, especially if it's a big ticket club.

I think overall, people need to be more honest with their photos when selling a product. I bought a 3 wood head off ebay with a good 1/4" of shaft broken off in the hosel still. While I totally could drill it out but point is I don't want to and the ad didn't state it had a shaft broken off in there. They also didn't get good photos of how worn down the face or sole was.

Careful out there guys, there are people always trying to get ahead at your expense.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Yeah topline is super important. I think overall photos of the entire club should be provided. I want to know what the ENTIRE thing looks like before I make a decision, especially if it's a big ticket club.

I think overall, people need to be more honest with their photos when selling a product. I bought a 3 wood head off ebay with a good 1/4" of shaft broken off in the hosel still. While I totally could drill it out but point is I don't want to and the ad didn't state it had a shaft broken off in there. They also didn't get good photos of how worn down the face or sole was.

Careful out there guys, there are people always trying to get ahead at your expense.

Couldn't agree more. Even for the straight shooters the pictures are sometimes lacking on what I want to buy. I'm no expert in photography but it just seems like a golf club photo should show the playing position or top line. Simple really.

Couldn't agree more. Even for the straight shooters the pictures are sometimes lacking on what I want to buy. I'm no expert in photography but it just seems like a golf club photo should show the playing position or top line. Simple really.

My photo skills are severely lacking also BUT when I go to sell a club I think to myself:

If I was selling to this guy face to face, he'd grab the club, likely look at it from address, then check for imperfections. So those are the photos I aim to provide to them

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

My photo skills are severely lacking also BUT when I go to sell a club I think to myself:

If I was selling to this guy face to face, he'd grab the club, likely look at it from address, then check for imperfections. So those are the photos I aim to provide to them

Exactly.

I think with sites like WRX and MGS, you should be able to find the top line of a club. IMO pics on BST/Ebay posts should show the condition of the club, pointing out whats good and bad. Sure, I want to see the top of a wood to avoid skymarks, but irons, meh.

Edit: If you're worried about being 'duped/had' for a club thats a lesser quality than advertised, i suggest the higher volume/feedback sellers on ebay. I got my 915 off the bay and when I got it, there was a horrible skymark that missed the photoshoot apparently. He sent me half of my money back. I can do a skymark for a deal.

Top line of putters and woods so I can look for imperfections. Otherwise, topline on irons is kind of pointless since pictures can be deceiving depending on distance and angle the picture is being taken at. If the topline is that important to you, check them out in person first.

Not all of us have that option of checking things out in person. This is strictly discussing online selling and purchases. If you can line up a putter and snap a shot of the top line then you should be able to do the same with an iron.

I always include top line photos when applicable. Usually do address, bottom, face on, then the club next to a tape measure to display laying length and to validate tipping or lack thereof.

Seems like this would make sense to most. I haven's been using a tape measure but that's something I should probably include as well. Appreciate your feedback.

Top line of putters and woods so I can look for imperfections. Otherwise, topline on irons is kind of pointless since pictures can be deceiving depending on distance and angle the picture is being taken at. If the topline is that important to you, check them out in person first.

Not all of us have that option of checking things out in person. This is strictly discussing online selling and purchases. If you can line up a putter and snap a shot of the top line then you should be able to do the same with an iron.

I totally understand you're speaking about online purchasing only. I purchase all of my clubs online now, but that's only after I've checked them out/hit them in person first. If you cannot do the latter, then you're taking a risk regardless if you're getting topline pictures or not (been there, done that, learned my lesson). That being said, I would like to think most WRX (and eBay) sellers would oblige if you ask them to snap a topline of the irons they're selling.

I think with sites like WRX and MGS, you should be able to find the top line of a club. IMO pics on BST/Ebay posts should show the condition of the club, pointing out whats good and bad. Sure, I want to see the top of a wood to avoid skymarks, but irons, meh.

Edit: If you're worried about being 'duped/had' for a club thats a lesser quality than advertised, i suggest the higher volume/feedback sellers on ebay. I got my 915 off the bay and when I got it, there was a horrible skymark that missed the photoshoot apparently. He sent me half of my money back. I can do a skymark for a deal.

I hear you. I'm not speaking as much about getting "duped/had" as I am just about showing the playing position. Just want to see the club at set up. I don't really buy from the ones that post blurry pics or one single shot from long range.Lol. It's like some of these sellers are doing a fly by in a cessna and snapping a photo with a 2004 Motorola Razr. They also may use the same camera as the ones used for pics of the sasquatch. Very popular camera for the forest adventures I guess.

I can't believe how many people either don't include head covers with the item.... I mean a damn hybrid or fairway headcover only fetches $10-$15 or so. Alot of times they could have gotten another $10+ for the item for just including the headcover.... so maybe all the hassle and a box and BS is worth $5? Really?

The other thing that gets me is people who obviously don't use headcovers on woods/hybrids.... HOLY COW! Yea.... just let your club you say you have only used for "like 3 or 4 rounds" rattle around and get beaten and chipped to death so it looks terrible... I'm sure it'll sell fast. Seriously?

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I hear you. I'm not speaking as much about getting "duped/had" as I am just about showing the playing position. Just want to see the club at set up. I don't really buy from the ones that post blurry pics or one single shot from long range.Lol. It's like some of these sellers are doing a fly by in a cessna and snapping a photo with a 2004 Motorola Razr. They also may use the same camera as the ones used for pics of the sasquatch. Very popular camera for the forest adventures I guess.

Yea, I know what you mean. Unless you're looking for that unicorn of a clubdeal, you gotta just take your money elsewhere. Cash is king.

The other thing I was thinking of; I've only dealt in small doses with selling on ebay. But I remember there being a limit of pics?

consider this example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Amp-Cell-Pro-Irons-4-PW-True-Temper-Dynamic-Gold-S300-/332672568481?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=yAtdVSxQWuuMKG3sxP%252F95z7tTKM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Kinda like I started saying above, I'd rather have the up-close pics of the faces than a pic looking down the shaft at address, which I could find here:

https://pluggedingolf.com/cobra-amp-cell-pro-irons-review/

I know its not the ideal situation, but you gotta make lemonade!

For woods, hybrids, and putters, I get it. I’m looking for paint chips or dings. For irons, I already know what the address position looks like before I buy. Pics don’t tell me enough, I generally research or test the item in hand before I even search it up on eBay.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

I'll play devil's advocate here...

...if the only photos of the clubs you're about to purchase are the ones from the Ebay ad, you're doing it wrong. There are a million pictures and reviews on clubs around the internet. You should've come across all that stuff before you go to purchase it. If you need to ask the seller for specific pictures because you don't know what a product looks like, you're not trying very hard. That suggests you're on Ebay WAAAAAAY too much, doing far too much shopping. The only thing that needs to be shown in photos is the condition. It's on the buyer to know what they're buying.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

...if the only photos of the clubs you're about to purchase are the ones from the Ebay ad, you're doing it wrong. There are a million pictures and reviews on clubs around the internet. You should've come across all that stuff before you go to purchase it. If you need to ask the seller for specific pictures because you don't know what a product looks like, you're not trying very hard. That suggests you're on Ebay WAAAAAAY too much, doing far too much shopping. The only thing that needs to be shown in photos is the condition. It's on the buyer to know what they're buying.

Agree to disagree. A lot of assumptions in your post on what I do. It's as simple as taking one shot of the top line. The whole point is to not make the buyer search those "million" other places for the pics. If you want to sell it, take the time to sell it. Ebay offers plenty of photos free to do so. I do plenty of research and I have a really good idea on what I want my clubs to look like.

Too funny. Most people b**** aboot no face pics when you show topline pics. Seems what you want is a 360 degree rotating video complete with hand models and happy ending. If you want brand new ... probably should pay for it. Assuming you are worried about dings.and if you are taking a view so that you can decide if you like the club. eBay or the bst isn’t there to “ sell “ you clubs. They are there to offer clubs “ for sale “. Huge difference. Oems make clubs and offer what you want in terms of sales. Contact them and pay for those pictures and reviews.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree to disagree. A lot of assumptions in your post on what I do. It's as simple as taking one shot of the top line. The whole point is to not make the buyer search those "million" other places for the pics. If you want to sell it, take the time to sell it. Ebay offers plenty of photos free to do so. I do plenty of research and I have a really good idea on what I want my clubs to look like.

If you want reviews, browse GolfWRX.

If you want to hold it in your hands go to GG, PGASS, DSG, etc.

If you want cheap prices go to Ebay.

If you want photos simply open another window in your browser and Google the club.

Sorry bud, but it sure sounds like you want a faster, more streamlined process for purchasing clubs to which an appropriate response would be...

...just how many clubs are you buying!? ;)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I know when I have sold clubs on ebay, I ALWAYS have the following shots in the ad:

Closeup of Face

Closeup of Topline with the seam where the face meets the crown clearly visible and in focus

Closeup of Sole/hosel

Closeup of Backside

Closeup of Shaft label/ID area

Over-all picture of the entire club with the head cover

Six pictures is all you need, but it needs to be the correct 6. Everything I've ever sold, I sold FAST. "Free shipping" and a solid "buy it now" price helps as well.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I often buy from Proclubs on ebay and while they do a good job normally of describing the crown on woods and hybrids they take the picture of the topline and not of the full crown and it drives me nuts. I know they have a boat load of listings but one more pic each would really make their listings the best around.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

What is even worse are the sellers that post stock images and list a club in bargain/fair condition..........

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

What is even worse are the sellers that post stock images and list a club in bargain/fair condition..........

There's a special place in hell...

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I know when I have sold clubs on ebay, I ALWAYS have the following shots in the ad:

Closeup of Face

Closeup of Topline with the seam where the face meets the crown clearly visible and in focus

Closeup of Sole/hosel

Closeup of Backside

Closeup of Shaft label/ID area

Over-all picture of the entire club with the head cover

Six pictures is all you need, but it needs to be the correct 6. Everything I've ever sold, I sold FAST. "Free shipping" and a solid "buy it now" price helps as well.

-ZA

I'm the same way. I really don't sell on there to make a lot of money. I'm done with the club I'm selling so the buyer always gets a great deal with plenty of the clearest photos I can provide (Top Line at address included). Thanks for your feedback.

You can find a topline shot of any club on the makers website. I'm more interested in pics of the faces and soles of the clubs, but that's just me I guess.

I've sold my share of clubs on Ebay, and will shortly be selling a couple more. Never have any problems.

I'll make sure not to list them here. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec