My C.C. always having events , course closed.

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

There’s probably a large contingent of fellow members who love that kind of stuff, but, as someone who just wants to play, yeah, it stinks. The lack of flexibility is a big part of why the husband and I have never done the CC thing. We don’t want to spend a fortune for a club and then spend a big chunk of time/money playing other courses because we can’t get out at home.

I feel for those of you who deal with this kind of thing, especially in a place that already has a short season.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

There’s probably a large contingent of fellow members who love that kind of stuff, but, as someone who just wants to play, yeah, it stinks. The lack of flexibility is a big part of why the husband and I have never done the CC thing. We don’t want to spend a fortune for a club and then spend a big chunk of time/money playing other courses because we can’t get out at home.

I feel for those of you who deal with this kind of thing, especially in a place that already has a short season.

the scrambles aren't put on by the club. They are outside events that the club hosts.

I'm torn between joining the private course in town . That is super nice , not open to the public , no tee times required .. at double the cost . I do like playing other courses. Between what I pay for my current club and my once a week foursome at another course I would basically be paying the same amount of money but limited to one course . Albeit a really, really nice track. Decisions...

the scrambles aren't put on by the club. They are outside events that the club hosts.

Your course is public, there is no such thing as an outside event. If a group has the funds to buy out the tee sheet, they are going to do it.

I'm torn between joining the private course in town . That is super nice , not open to the public , no tee times required .. at double the cost . I do like playing other courses. Between what I pay for my current club and my once a week foursome at another course I would basically be paying the same amount of money but limited to one course . Albeit a really, really nice track. Decisions...

WTF is the decision? It seems pretty black and white. I’m confused as to why you’d pay the other place.

Knowing me, I'd try to play after the Acushnet outing on Saturday and search the rough and woods for lost balls, will be some good pickins' after that one...

I would hope the OP's "dues" are significantly less than what he would pay at a club without all these BS outings, to compensate for putting up with them. I'm guessing what he essentially has is a season pass to a public course. I'd start looking into other options locally if this schedule posted above is common the entire season.

When a certain private club I used to belong to started circling the toilet financially, they went from hosting outings only on Mondays (when the course was usually closed for maintenance otherwise) to hosting outings on weekdays as well, with an occasional two-day weekend money tournament open to the public, while our dues kept increasing. The outings essentially closed the course for at least half the day, and the staff wouldn't let anyone on the course after a shotgun finished in the evening because they had to clean/put away all the carts and didn't want to have to wait around for anyone else out on the course.

Drop the membership, if you want to play the course pay the daily fee. Play where your friends want to play then make a decion for next year.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Is this a private club?

it's supposed to be "semi private " but has essentially become a public course with 250 members .

My course is private but we have outside outings on Mondays 2-3x a month. Mondays only and they go out in the morning. Now Mondays are our slowest days anyway - the grill/kitchen is closed even to members so the outings dont use the clubhouse/bar - but bringing in outside events Monday AMs brings in additional revenue we wouldn't otherwise have. Course usually opens up to members @ 1pm and the range/practice areas are always open.

From looking around in the area this kind of thing is not unusual.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Sounds like you already have your answer.

Your current “private club” isn’t a private club if they’re open to the public. I’m sure it’s half the price of the private club in your community but you get what you pay for.

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

Look at it this way, you would either be paying twice the dues money or the club would have closed without the extra revenue, its a tradeoff.

I just got rid of my membership at a local course partially for the same reason. I play mostly weekend golf, and from March till August, there are tournaments almost every weekend. It is also a “semi private” course, which is nothing more than a public course with memberships for discounted tee times in my mind. It was $100/month and $19/round with the membership, and $65/round weekend rates without one. Unlimited range balls included in the membership, and they have a great practice facility. When I was playing a lot it was worth it, but now that I’m playing 3-4 rounds a month, and 2-3 of those had to be played elsewhere because of tournaments, I was essentially paying $70-120 per round when you do the math, plus paying green fees at other courses just so I could play when mine was closed.

If there’s a private course you can join for a good rate, I say go for it. The closest private club for me is a 30 minutes drive IF I don’t catch traffic, and dues are over $400/month. I would never get my money’s worth out of it, so I’m back to joe public golf. Such is life.

Is this a private club?

it's supposed to be "semi private " but has essentially become a public course with 250 members .

My course is private but we have outside outings on Mondays 2-3x a month. Mondays only and they go out in the morning. Now Mondays are our slowest days anyway - the grill/kitchen is closed even to members so the outings dont use the clubhouse/bar - but bringing in outside events Monday AMs brings in additional revenue we wouldn't otherwise have. Course usually opens up to members @ 1pm and the range/practice areas are always open.

what course?? if you don't mind me asking

As others noted, semi-private = public, and public courses rely on hositng events.

With so much of the season left I would approach management about a pro-rated refund of your membership and find a new course to play that more closely aligns with what you want.

I'd gently offer that there aren't any anymore that are public. Our local public courses are going to the same model. As many outings as possible, as often as possible. Saturday, Sunday....doesn't matter. Pack in the money makers as often as possible. Core, avid golfers be d@mned.

I hit some balls yesterday morning and was driving the ball pretty well, and thought, today would be a great day to sneak in nine holes. I went out to a local, county run golf course at 2:00 and checked to see if I could get out for nine. Nope. "We've got a local hospital league going out at 3:00 and I've got a foursome at 2:15 that's the last group and I don't want to put you out in front of the league." I kid you not.

It was effectively "We don't need no stinkin' singles out here".

The guy said, "Here's a card. Why don't you give us a call and see whether you can get out before driving over here?". It took me about 15 minutes to figure out that it is more comfortable for the guy at the counter to tell you you can't play during the week as a single over the phone than to have you stand there and look at him looking at the tee sheet. "Ah, no, we're uh, all booked up this Tuesday afternoon. Nope, no room for a single. We've got the Sisters of Mercy outing at 11 am, then the local International Festival of Clowns outing at 3pm and then the Cincinnati Beer Tasting Society is out at 5:30. Thanks for calling."

Rangers love the outings though. They can sort of drive around out there and be friendly, but they don't really have to do anything, because really, the management doesn't even have any expectation that things will move along. And they sure as heck don't want to tick the big outing people off. They might take it somewhere else next month or next year. It's like a General Motors plant in the 70s. Slow...and they like it like that. We don't have as many GM plants today, in case anybody's counting.

Is this a private club?

My club which is private does the same thing with Monday's outings but the grill and bar is open though. However, there is couple big scrambles each year that usually are held on Thursday or Saturday.

Outside events brings in lot of money for my home club with golf, lunch and booze sales. My pro said if members ever decides not to allow those outside scrambles, our annual dues will be much higher. A tradeoff which I'm not complaining about. There are few smaller outside events on the weekends but the course is usually open. They block off a hour or two teetimes for the outing.

Practice facilities are always open during those events.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Look at it this way, you would either be paying twice the dues money or the club would have closed without the extra revenue, its a tradeoff.

Paying half price for a course you can't play doesn't sound like a very good deal. I'm really surprised about the outings on weekends.

There's no such thing as a "membership" in a course that's open to the public - it's just a "season pass". Figure out your cost per round and number of rounds you plan to play and see if the season pass makes sense. Don't expect any perks like exclusive tee times - at a public first one with a credit card get the time.....

If you want to be sure that tee times are available, join a true private course. Cost per round won't come close to beating playing publics, but you'll have the exclusive tee times that you're looking for.

You get what you pay for.

I currently have three semi-Pvt club memberships. Because each club has nice well-kept facilities and a widespread reputation, each must make as much revenue as possible through holding weddings, charity events, and various tournaments.

Yep, it frustrates me and others, but "we" (those that I know) understand. If revenue weren't coming in member costs would go up as well as green fees. The reason why I will be joining a private club that charges members appropriately, and only offers those events on Monday when the club is closed to members. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x