Just had a "Fitting"-Tell me if they're full of BS!

2»

Comments

• BlakeBstoneBlakeBstone Members Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    LEO MODE wrote:

I probably did fitting here and there, including PGA Superstore, Club Champion, Titleist, Taylormade, etc. But I wasn’t really able to get the true answer and didn’t feel like I was ever being fitted properly.

I really am willing to buy an airplane ticket and get fitted if I have to.

Who really is rated for the best fitter in America that I can really spend a day or two to truly get fitted for the shaft and the club head that I could get? Hopefully an outdoor setup with a premium ball. Because except Titleist and Taylormade fitting day, I was fitted indoor.

I live in Southern California...Hope there is one around here...

TXG
    My Bag
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
    TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
    Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
    Titleist SM6 52,54,60
    odyssey big T
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068

Yes, that was not a fitting

And on a side note if you are ever at a real fitting and they pull out a lie board, pack your s*** and head to the car

I agree, lie boards are at best worthless for lie angles. Misleading is probably the best way to put it.

The dry erase/whiteboard marker method is the best simple method to use.

If TrackMan is available this in conjunction with the whiteboard marker gives the best results in my opinion.

At a pinch, lie boards can be used for looking at sole Grind options. Not ideal but will give some sort of idea especially on driving range artificial mats.
  • BlakeBstoneBlakeBstone Members Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    HISPL wrote:

Yes, that was not a fitting

And on a side note if you are ever at a real fitting and they pull out a lie board, pack your s*** and head to the car

I agree, lie boards are at best worthless for lie angles. Misleading is probably the best way to put it.

The dry erase/whiteboard marker method is the best simple method to use.

If TrackMan is available this in conjunction with the whiteboard marker gives the best results in my opinion.

At a pinch, lie boards can be used for looking at sole Grind options. Not ideal but will give some sort of idea especially on driving range artificial mats.

I’m a believer in adjusting lie angles to ball flight, much like the Ian at TXG. By the time the club enters the turf the ball is long gone
    My Bag
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
    TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
    Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
    Titleist SM6 52,54,60
    odyssey big T
  • smallssmalls Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Last time I got mine checked they used the tape so I didn't even think about it.
  • HehatemeHehateme Members Posts: 546 ✭✭

It wasn’t a fitting. You can’t call that a fitting. It was a demo day.

Any manufacturer can add swingweight to shorter clubs. He was lying about that.

It all Sounds very disappointing and quite disgusting actually.

THIS___!!
  • AnserAnser ClubWRX Posts: 2,207 ✭✭
    LaymanM wrote:

Go get a good PING fitting. They will most definitely build irons to proper swing weight.

as long as it's D0
    TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1
  • AnserAnser ClubWRX Posts: 2,207 ✭✭

While they "can" many don't

TaylorMade doesn't

They don't because why bother? a zillion sets of irons sell off the rack, they don't have time to worry about a few grams that most golfers can't tell anyway

sorry but wanting custom swingweight from an OEM is like shopping for suits at Target
    TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1
  • coopscoops Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    smalls wrote:

My issue isn't that I thought I got suckered into a demo day when I signed up for a fitting. It was the bit about how "No OEM's swing weight." Basically they come out the weight they come out and that's as good as it gets. That part sounded like bull. Just curious if anyone had any info to prove or disprove that assertion.

You were ansolutely right to be suspicious about such a blatant lie about oem swingweigting.

Apart from using tip weights, Ping tend to adjust using different weight in the cavity, either a port or the label/decal in the cavity.

Mizuno have different series/ weight forged heads just for this issue... even as noted in their fitting cart, see below - scroll down you can see the fitting cart aslo has different head weights available to test varying SW...

http://mizunofitters.com/assets/us/resources/custom_fit_trainer.pdf

• LEO MODELEO MODE Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Any other place other than TXG people can recommend for true honest fitter rather than selling clubs? I can go to TXG but would have to pay for a plane ticket down to Toronto.

http://leomode.home.blog

Reviewing all golf techs

TrackMan 4, GC2+HMT, GC Quad
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,193 ✭✭
    Anser wrote:

While they "can" many don't

TaylorMade doesn't

They don't because why bother? a zillion sets of irons sell off the rack, they don't have time to worry about a few grams that most golfers can't tell anyway

sorry but wanting custom swingweight from an OEM is like shopping for suits at Target

They don’t sell suits at target
2»