Playing the Plantation Course in Kapalua

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play the Plantation course in a couple of weeks. Trying to gauge people's past experiences so I know what to expect when I show up. Should I practice a particular shot, course conditions, just anything to help my first experience at the Plantation Course.

It has been a few years since I last played it but you are in for a treat. The fairways are wide and the greens are large. Expect a fair amount of wind so you might want to practice your punch shots. And no matter what you think...the putt breaks towards Molokai.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

Play the Plantation course in a couple of weeks. Trying to gauge people's past experiences so I know what to expect when I show up. Should I practice a particular shot, course conditions, just anything to help my first experience at the Plantation Course.

For nearly thirty years I have been taking Maui golf trips every year, and mostly play Kapalua courses. Before you go, practice long-distance control with your putter. If you three put at home, four-five putts are regular on the Plantation and chose your clubs wisely around the undulated large greens. :beach: I was just there recently for 3wks.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

played it in january the week after the pros were there. place was awesome though i did expect faster greens. my guess is they didn't cut/roll between sunday morning and the thursday i played there. still felt it was worth the greens fee. you should check though plantation may be closed for renovations. i second the notions above though about the greens and how they break. should it be closed, ive heard the bay is worth playing and certainly better than either course at kaanapali. i cant compare the bay course to any of the 3 courses at wailea however.

But not just the break of putt but the speed as well. You can/will have slow downhill putts and speedy uphillers. Definitely get some practice in on the putter green before the round.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Greens at the Plantation are NOT comparable to mainland tour venues. Due to the location of the course, elevation changes, green size and undulations and influential trades, they don't keep them fast like mainland venues, yet they play fast and can get ugly for the average golfer.

Depending on pin position, some holes I land short of the green, some cases 20-50yds short to keep the ball on the green thanks to the influence of trade winds and undulations. Some greens in one direction can be slow, the opposite seriously fast...caution.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I'll echo the putting comments above. I did not like putting with the rental putter - never got the feel of it. As for the course itself, it's a lot of fun, and enjoy the roll on some drives. It was in great condition when I played it in August 2016. Well worth the price.

I've played there twice. Once I hadn't played in a few months coming from the East Coast. Still scraped it around decently.

As others have mentioned - very generous fairways, breathtaking views and just an all-around fun day. It just makes watching the TOC that much better, seeing some of the spots these guys can get to. DJ's near ace on 12 this year will seem COMPLETELY insane.

Glad I saw this, my wife and I will be there at the end of July. We went on our honeymoon 16 years ago and we played the Village course (no longer open) but this time I want to try the other two. I'm not all that great but it's Hawaii - who cares about my score?

I enjoyed the Village course a lot. They converted it to private for an unspecified number of years, not long then closed. It's gone to seed, and I heard development is in its future.

The Plantation is fun so is The Bay course, only very different layout. Challenging but not as penial as the Plantation. My wife likes the Bay course because it's more women-friendly, as is the Emerald at Wailai. Wailai Gold is just as challenging at Plantation, only in different ways. If you want less expensive courses but fun tracks try Maui Nui in Kihei and Kahili in Wailuku. You pass the ladder on the way to towards Kapalua. Have fun :beach:

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Long lag putts & a low shot that can go under the wind

When you are in a place that amazing it's hard to find flaws. As a guy from the Midwest the grass is tough (literally) to get used too. If the wind or the grass started annoying me I just picked up my head and took a look around!!! Wowzers!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

The grain of the green is key to knowing the putt speeds. Seems that the Plantation course has the most severe grain of any of the Maui courses. If the days are strong trade winds, pay the extra to play in the morning. I've had a couple of twilight rounds there that # 9 and #10 were impossible pars for any average golfer. Also, as nice as the Plantation is to play, and you should play it, IMO Wailea Emerald is probably the most picturesque course on Maui. I am not a fan of Kaanapali courses so if you have to stay on the west side I think Kapalua Bay course is easily 2nd best.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

Practice a lot of knock downs and 3/4 shots. Bump and runs for around the greens.

It’s always freaking windy. I personally don’t love The Plantation. It’s really weird Golf. You really need to learn the course to score decent. “Don’t go there, no matter what play this shot short, everything falls right so hug the left side, etc etc.”. Tons of local knowledge is needed. I’d choose the Bay over the Plantation any day.

I hate hilly windy golf so it’s pretty much not my cup of tea. I’m honestly not sure if I’d be a golfer if I lived in Hawaii full time. It Might drive me nuts.

Yes, the views are off the charts at Kapalua, but there are a lot of other courses I prefer on the island.. I used to go every summer with my family for many years and my dad and I played every day for 10 days. Sometimes 36 a day. Im sure I sound like an Word not allowed complaining, but damn did the wind and the hilly lies get old.

Love the Plantation courses. I played all three in addition to the Kaanapali courses. I actually liked the Village quite a bit before it went bye bye. The Bay is a Palmer/Seay design and has a couple ocean holes. Plantation holes into the wind (which is significant) play tough, however the fairways are so wide that if you remember that it makes the shot not that hard. I started using my choked up driver off the deck sweeping the ball to keep it under the wind on all the par 5's into the wind and worked very well.

Also used my connections back then to play for free so that added to my enjoyment. Almost had a hole in one there as I hit it to 6 inches on 6 or 7 i think from like 205 tee box with rented Ping I3 back in 1999.

Plantation is just a great golf experience. Really cool to see the first collaboration design of Coore & Crenshaw and I would for sure play another one of their tracks if you have one close to you. Lots of width and angles depending on pin locations would be a great way to manage your way around the course. Enjoy the views and honestly just try to soak in playing on that beautiful peaceful island in the Pacific. I cant wait to go back don't forget to try the Big Swell IPA if you like that kinda stuff.