Bryson DeChambeau Winning Again

disco111

I'm on my 2nd season with a SL or partial SL set. I think the biggest issue for Cobra giong forward is getting people to try them. I bought a used set last winter that was a bargain, I figured if I didnt like them I could sell them and not be out too much money. But its not something you can just shove a couple demo clubs in a bag of demo clubs and have people try them once or twice. They need to take the whole set out on the course at least a couple of times.

I would love to see Cobra go to some sort of the old online club rental model - I forget the company name. But say, $40 for a two week rental, if you like the set you can keep/buy them and they would give you a $40 credit. If not, you ship them back to Cobra and they get sent out to someone else.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Side note people talk about being able to swing harder at a wedge, I get the idea and sometimes thats nice depending on the type of shot you wanna hit.

That said even though they all are the same length I swing my wedges slower than my long irons even though they are same length same flex same everything.

Psychologically I just cant swing them as fast lol.

Nor do you have to. When I played the SL set, the thing that really became beautiful was that everything was the same, single club, so it became a lot easier to swing it easier, harder, ball back, ball forward, chip, whatever, with it. Whether it said 6 or AW on the bottom.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I'm on my 2nd season with a SL or partial SL set. I think the biggest issue for Cobra giong forward is getting people to try them. I bought a used set last winter that was a bargain, I figured if I didnt like them I could sell them and not be out too much money. But its not something you can just shove a couple demo clubs in a bag of demo clubs and have people try them once or twice. They need to take the whole set out on the course at least a couple of times.

I would love to see Cobra go to some sort of the old online club rental model - I forget the company name. But say, $40 for a two week rental, if you like the set you can keep/buy them and they would give you a $40 credit. If not, you ship them back to Cobra and they get sent out to someone else.

They need to just give someone an SL sand wedge or lob wedge and say here, try this out. It's so different from what people are used to.

Instead, they want you to demo a 7 iron? That's the pivot club for most people. Nothing radical about that. It's just another 7 iron.

I'd like to give them a go but I'm not a huge fan of Cobra and the cost of the Edel make it a heck of a gamble of they don't work out.

I built a set of Pinhawk SL's (available from Value Golf) for about $200. As an engineer, the SL theory intrigued me, and that was short enough money to take a shot. Convinced me that SL works for me. I'll be scheduling a fitting soon. Will probably go with the Edels, unless Wishon Sterlings are close enough that they make the extra $$ for the Edels not worth it.

Nope

but longer short irons are a good idea IMO

They have been a bigger help than the shorter long irons, to me.

I may even go traditional 5 & 6, then have 7 on down be SL (my SL are 36.5").

The longer wedges have allowed me to take full, aggressive swings without fear of pulling way left, which was an issue for me with shorter wedges. From 6 to 9, I can tell the clubs apart, but visually, from SW-PW (spread of 110-150), the wedges are identical to me in look and feel at address. I literally feel like I'm hitting the same club.

I can even full rip the 60* (forged, more blade-like) for 90ish yard shots. And high pitches are easier (to me) with the longer shaft.

Why are you trying to rip sand wedges and lob wedges? Smh

For that tour sauce yo

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

As for Bryson, he didn't exactly win the tournament in dominating fashion. The guy is really good, but he's a headcase that got lucky. Nobody challenged him at all on Sunday, while he blasted driver all over the planet (at 43" mind you...), and had some of the laziest attempts at birdie I've seen in a long time. He coasted his way into the club house when it was ripe for a massive run. If Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods had caught a little fire on the front run and posted a -2 to -4 early to get them to around the -14 number early, Bryson would have puked and probably shot +2 or +3. All he had to contend with was watching Cantlay be slow.

So, the rest of the field are so pathetic that had no ability whatsoever to reign in a useless golfer, who didn't win in dominating fashion, who swings ugly and has no right to win on the precious southern baptist tour (bar a couple of heathens).

Perhaps if....Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods....had played better than that useless golfer with a strange swing and clubs fit for children...they might have won.....mmmmm me thinks you may have won this weeks trophy.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

This place can be pretty comical sometimes. Dude has a Hogan like work ethic but it’s all about luck. The real hoot is many of the same people who were posting two years ago that he would lose his tour card are now trying to convince us this was just a fluke and his top 10 standing in the Fed Ex standings is just a mirage.

Nope

but longer short irons are a good idea IMO

They have been a bigger help than the shorter long irons, to me.

I may even go traditional 5 & 6, then have 7 on down be SL (my SL are 36.5").

The longer wedges have allowed me to take full, aggressive swings without fear of pulling way left, which was an issue for me with shorter wedges. From 6 to 9, I can tell the clubs apart, but visually, from SW-PW (spread of 110-150), the wedges are identical to me in look and feel at address. I literally feel like I'm hitting the same club.

I can even full rip the 60* (forged, more blade-like) for 90ish yard shots. And high pitches are easier (to me) with the longer shaft.

Why are you trying to rip sand wedges and lob wedges? Smh

For that tour sauce yo

Sure :russian_roulette:

Dechambeau is a great player, period. You can’t deny him that. Two wins on the PGA Tour — most Tour players never win one. He also is a high-profile player who has been witnessed berating caddies, which he has had a few changes there, and people don’t like that.

He is really intense and definitely is obsessed with analysis, but it works for him. He comes off as a little spoiled and/or self-centered, perhaps something he’ll grow out of. Winning takes away a lot of pressure. He’d help himself a lot if he can avoid the tantrums.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Bluedot, great comments.

Congratulations to him on winning.

A win is a win.

Single Length are a Fad... just like Oversize Game Improvement !!!!

In my Perfect World, all Drivers will be 350CC, open 1 degree....... 983E Hmmmmmmmmm

Cheers, Roger... back to the beer!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

SL clubs are not for everyone.

But they definitely were for me. I was glad he brought the idea to the mainstream and I could find a set easily instead of using my own custom made ugly ones.

It simplified the game for me from 85 yards to 205 yards. It helped put my name on a Club Championship trophy.

I couldnt see myself going back.

All I ever ask in the SL debate threads is for players to be open minded and possibly give them a shot.

SL clubs are not for everyone.

But they definitely were for me. I was glad he brought the idea to the mainstream and I could find a set easily instead of using my own custom made ugly ones.

It simplified the game for me from 85 yards to 205 yards. It helped put my name on a Club Championship trophy.

I couldnt see myself going back.

All I ever ask in the SL debate threads is for players to be open minded and possibly give them a shot.

As usual, I agree with everything Mcgeeno says.

Agreed.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

As for Bryson, he didn't exactly win the tournament in dominating fashion. The guy is really good, but he's a headcase that got lucky. Nobody challenged him at all on Sunday, while he blasted driver all over the planet (at 43" mind you...), and had some of the laziest attempts at birdie I've seen in a long time. He coasted his way into the club house when it was ripe for a massive run. If Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods had caught a little fire on the front run and posted a -2 to -4 early to get them to around the -14 number early, Bryson would have puked and probably shot +2 or +3. All he had to contend with was watching Cantlay be slow.

So, the rest of the field are so pathetic that had no ability whatsoever to reign in a useless golfer, who didn't win in dominating fashion, who swings ugly and has no right to win on the precious southern baptist tour (bar a couple of heathens).

Perhaps if....Justin Rose, J.B. Holmes, Niemann, Fowler, or Woods....had played better than that useless golfer with a strange swing and clubs fit for children...they might have won.....mmmmm me thinks you may have won this weeks trophy.

Alright Mr. Jumps to Conclusions. I never said his swing was ugly, I never said anything about religion, and I never made fun of the clubs he was using. Now who's trolling for likes? I just said he was never really challenged coming in. He shot even par I think, when in MOST other tournaments or years at the memorial, he would have been decimated. Congrats on his win but I stand behind my opinion that he coasted in and it was lucky nobody made a Sunday charge or he would have been watching someone else get handed the trophy.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Alright Mr. Jumps to Conclusions. I never said his swing was ugly, I never said anything about religion, and I never made fun of the clubs he was using. Now who's trolling for likes? I just said he was never really challenged coming in. He shot even par I think, when in MOST other tournaments or years at the memorial, he would have been decimated. Congrats on his win but I stand behind my opinion that he coasted in and it was lucky nobody made a Sunday charge or he would have been watching someone else get handed the trophy.

Here is a real stat to show how well Tiger is hitting the ball tee to green: If he had achieved a strokes gained putting number of just 0.0 last week, he wins the Memorial by four shots. He was playing the course well, putts were not falling.

DeChambeau won it, yes he did, but I agree it was ugly down the stretch. All the leaders butchered 18 in regulation. DeChambeau’s poor approach from a perfect spot in the fairway, setting up his 3 putt, was nerves for sure. No way he should be in a playoff because he could not put an easy short iron closer than 50 feet from the hole. His ball striking and accuracy can disappear on him. He definitely looked like he was playing not to lose.

Cantlay and Stanley simply choked. Ben An’s tee shot to the right to open the playoff was weak.

If Tiger can find his putting, look out. Tee to green, he was outstanding.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Agreed.

I'm 100% open to the idea; I just don't know how to do it, other than buying a set of SL irons and seeing what happens, which doesn't work for me. I THINK I could get used to hitting a SW the length of my 7 iron out of a bunker, but what if I couldn't?

If I understand the Cobra website correctly, I'd be spending approximately $1500 to replace my three hybrids and 6-LW, with my 3W and driver not included. I'll spend pretty much whatever I need to spend for fitted clubs; I have for years. But that's a LOT of coins for a maybe.

Two other thoughts/experiences with this:

1. A couple of years ago, I actually did a SL thing with my G30 fairway woods; Ping doesn't tip their stock shafts, and the weight port on the bottom let me adjust easily so that I had three clubs that were absolutely identical except for the loft; I made them to the length of my 7W that I really liked and really hit well. It's a valid concept, but that whole thing cost me less than $50 to find out. (Ultimately, the whole thing went away because I used Arrcos and figured out that neither the 5W nor the 7W were doing anything for me compared to hybrids, but that's another story...) So I have tried SL, at least in a limited sense, but I don't know how I could take it farther in any affordable way.

2. DeChambeau does have a bit of the "mad scientist" thing going on, which limits the applicability of what HE does to our situations. I have been putting side saddle/face on for about three years now, and last winter I was VERY interested to see DeChambeau go back to it on Tour this year. When he played the first event, I couldn't believe what I was seeing; he was gripping the putter with his bottom hand backwards, and the top hand gripping the forearm of the bottom hand. I went to the practice green the next morning and tried it, and I couldn't believe it; it was just the most unnatural way of making a natural arm swing that you could imagine, PLUS I knew immediately that the putter he was using had to be illegal, which it was. Why in the world he would have decided on THAT way of gripping the putter, I can't imagine; NOBODY that putts this way does that! NOBODY!!!

Agreed.

I'm 100% open to the idea; I just don't know how to do it, other than buying a set of SL irons and seeing what happens, which doesn't work for me. I THINK I could get used to hitting a SW the length of my 7 iron out of a bunker, but what if I couldn't?

If I understand the Cobra website correctly, I'd be spending approximately $1500 to replace my three hybrids and 6-LW, with my 3W and driver not included. I'll spend pretty much whatever I need to spend for fitted clubs; I have for years. But that's a LOT of coins for a maybe.

Do you have a Cobra fitter near you?

I walked into Windmill Golf in Macedonia, OH and was able to swing an F7 SW within 3 minutes of walking in the door.

Maybe other places are different, but I found out pretty quickly that I was able and willing to go down the SL road.

If you're looking at the forged, yeah, they are pricey. But the F7s can still be ordered through the Cobra site for $499 or $72 per club. That's not bad at all, considering all their no-cost shaft options.

I'm having a difficult time understanding the concept of having the wedges of a SL set being set at 7 iron length. I actually don't really see the need for it, as VL irons 9/w/sw/gw are all the same length and most decent players have no trouble with them. I understand the gaping mandate for SL, but once getting into the scoring zone, is that 7 iron length gap wedge really necessary? For those players that are using SL sets and opted to use their normal wedges, have you encountered any draw backs from going this route?

I'm having a difficult time understanding the concept of having the wedges of a SL set being set at 7 iron length. I actually don't really see the need for it, as VL irons 9/w/sw/gw are all the same length and most decent players have no trouble with them. I understand the gaping mandate for SL, but once getting into the scoring zone, is that 7 iron length gap wedge really necessary? For those players that are using SL sets and opted to use their normal wedges, have you encountered any draw backs from going this route?

I would consider myself a decent player. I play to about a 3 cap. I've dropped 3 strokes since switching. The 7 iron length wedges were a must for me. I always had a tendency to pull anything after an 8 iron. I still hit about the same % of gir, but I'm consistently closer to the pin. My chunks from inside 80 yards have disappeared as well. The only way I can describe it is that everything feels familiar. No matter the shot, yards or club, it just feels familiar and routine.

I would consider myself a decent player. I play to about a 3 cap. I've dropped 3 strokes since switching. The 7 iron length wedges were a must for me. I always had a tendency to pull anything after an 8 iron. I still hit about the same % of gir, but I'm consistently closer to the pin. My chunks from inside 80 yards have disappeared as well. The only way I can describe it is that everything feels familiar. No matter the shot, yards or club, it just feels familiar and routine.

Appreciate the reply. I'm seriously thinking about making the switch, even have a bid in on eBay and reviewing anything I can find. Lot's of good reviews, but I realize it's not for everybody, ergo the many sets available for resale. How long was your learning curve after the switch? I know everybody is different, just attempting to draw a base line on what can be expected.

Appreciate the reply. I'm seriously thinking about making the switch, even have a bid in on eBay and reviewing anything I can find. Lot's of good reviews, but I realize it's not for everybody, ergo the many sets available for resale. How long was your learning curve after the switch? I know everybody is different, just attempting to draw a base line on what can be expected.

Well, it's kinda weird. I've really struggled with the 5 and 6 irons. I had them bent flatter and it helped, but I gotta really stay focused to hit a good shot. I thought I'd struggle with chipping, but I've never chipped better. My whole thought process was just hit what I'd normally hit. My first 10 or so rounds were all in the 70s, so I guess not much of a curve. To me, all the sets felt different. I didn't like the f7's, or the sterlings, but I did like the forged and settled on the black forged tecs. I will say this, I play with a guy that sounded like a lot of people on here. It's a gimmick and a fad and it'll pass. He bought rogue pros, hit mine, took them back on the playable guarantee and now he plays the original cobra forged ones.

This has been my experience as well. I had a tendency to pull from PW down. For me, balls that would kick hard left in dry conditions (such as an elevated green or mounding) sit on the green. And the close shots are closer.

"Familiar" is a good way to put it. Eliminate a variable.

I've really struggled with the 5 and 6 irons.

What was the main problem with them?

They were just hook monsters. They do fly a little lower, but if you put a good swing on them, they're fine. Do some research on the lie angles. The f7's and forged are standard at 62.5 through out the set. The f8's and ftb are variable lie angles and they're actually inverted from a vl set. If you're affected by lie angles, you may want some that are easily bent.

Agreed.

I walked into Windmill Golf in Macedonia, OH and was able to swing an F7 SW within 3 minutes of walking in the door.

Maybe other places are different, but I found out pretty quickly that I was able and willing to go down the SL road.

If you're looking at the forged, yeah, they are pricey. But the F7s can still be ordered through the Cobra site for $499 or $72 per club. That's not bad at all, considering all their no-cost shaft options.

There are several Cobra fitting locations near me, though I don't know anything about the individuals that do the fitting. (FWIW, I ONLY use fitted clubs, and I ONLY go to fitters that I know a LOT about. This is a BIG personal bias for me, but it's what I believe in. I'll also spend ANY amount of money on clubs IF I have seen results in testing that warrant it.)

To get the F7's with Recoil shafts (what I play now) and CP2 grips (what I play now), I'd be looking at around $800 for 6-LW, according to the Cobra website; they'd be $118 per club. (BTW, I don't see option for and SW or LW on the website.) I carry three hybrids; the F8's are single length, and those would run $200 a club with stock shafts.

In order to get a SL version of what I currently use, I'd have to spend a LOT more than $500, OR spend $500 for stock stuff that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be as good as what I have now.

I'll tell you what would really make me get interested; when either Ping or Titleist comes out with a SL option. Those two companies just flat out do better work with irons than anybody else, and the engineers have more say than the marketing guys at both companies. When I can go to a fitter that they've certified, and hit from a fitting cart that they've set up, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and feel good about putting that kind of scratch on the table if the results were good.

Agreed.

There are several Cobra fitting locations near me, though I don't know anything about the individuals that do the fitting. (FWIW, I ONLY use fitted clubs, and I ONLY go to fitters that I know a LOT about. This is a BIG personal bias for me, but it's what I believe in. I'll also spend ANY amount of money on clubs IF I have seen results in testing that warrant it.)

To get the F7's with Recoil shafts (what I play now) and CP2 grips (what I play now), I'd be looking at around $800 for 6-LW, according to the Cobra website; they'd be $118 per club. (BTW, I don't see option for and SW or LW on the website.) I carry three hybrids; the F8's are single length, and those would run $200 a club with stock shafts.

In order to get a SL version of what I currently use, I'd have to spend a LOT more than $500, OR spend $500 for stock stuff that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be as good as what I have now.

I'll tell you what would really make me get interested; when either Ping or Titleist comes out with a SL option. Those two companies just flat out do better work with irons than anybody else, and the engineers have more say than the marketing guys at both companies. When I can go to a fitter that they've certified, and hit from a fitting cart that they've set up, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and feel good about putting that kind of scratch on the table if the results were good.

Nice post. I'd never tell someone what to do with their money, so your preferences are respected. My fitter is a top 50 in the US and was privy to the one lengths before they were available to the public. I got to do some testing before they were released, which was cool!

I'd have to go back and check their site, but for me I was able to call and choose a forged LW over the cast version. The wedges seem to have availability issues, so that may be why they aren't included in some of the sets listed online.

For me, 6-LW was enough because I had my lofts adjusted to 5* gaps. So 24* - 59* spread is solid for me. Yes, my 6i is 24*. I was not including the hybrids in my pricing because really, I have no experience with them, and I have no real need for one. Maybe I'd try a 20* SL hybrid? I just use a 24* 7 wood and have no desire to have one oddball hybrid.

Anyway, your point is taken. But with your shaft choice, you're going to be paying major coin with any iron purchase, no? For me, I got Modus 105s, custom lofting, custom length (-3/4"), and lies bent to 65* for under $600. And I got to pick my wedge. And that included 3 Trackman sessions. My fitter is awesome, and I bought my F7s right after the F8s were released.

My point is they can be had custom made and affordable. And I'd advise people not to consider the hybrids mandatory.

To your point about Ping and Titleist, I'm pretty brand agnostic, so when a major OEM came on board with SL, I had to at least try them. Because up until that moment I was building and reweighting my own SL clubs, and I was getting sick of it! The benefit was my F7 experience turned me on to Cobra and a lot of their equipment that I had not previously considered.

Love Bryson and what he's doing, he's different and his own man, not just another boring tour pro off the production line. Good on Cobra too for backing him. SL not for me but at least it's proper technology that offers something different......

If an American wins the US Open I hope it's him.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/color][/size][/font][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Diamana green R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZU65 5 [/size][/font][/color][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/size][/font][/color]

I can’t stand the guy. I wouldn’t wanna have a short wedge shot and be a 7 iron length away from the ball. I had a short driving iron I tried and it really was a boring flight and didn’t go very far compared to a normal length. It doesn’t help that I can’t stand anything that guy does and how he thinks he’s the only smart golfer on tour

I can’t stand the guy. I wouldn’t wanna have a short wedge shot and be a 7 iron length away from the ball. I had a short driving iron I tried and it really was a boring flight and didn’t go very far compared to a normal length. It doesn’t help that I can’t stand anything that guy does and how he thinks he’s the only smart golfer on tour

I must've missed where he said that...