CPA looking to enter the golf industry

Br1an02;Br1an02; Members Posts: 1,089
Good afternoon GolfWRX, I'm currently a CPA at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in FL and am looking to exit public accounting entirely and enter the golf industry. I know there are various management consulting companies specific to the golf industry (Troon, Global Golf Advisors, etc.) but I'm not sure what other avenues there may be, specifically in Florida as that is where my fiance and I will be settling down. I'd be curious to know if there is anyone else on here who has taken a similar path. Thanks!

Comments

• BA_LuckBA_Luck Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    unless you're independently wealthy aviod becoming an assistant and a course.
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,797 ✭✭

Um, google is always good to ask. The PGA tour needs you!!!

https://www.teamwork...lub-tpc-1937934

Our benefits include:

• Competitive wages including performance bonuses
    • Medical/Dental/Life/Disability insurance
    • Paid time off
    • 401k with employer match
    • Employer funded retirement plan
    • Health Savings Account/Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
    • Wellness Program
    • Membership to TPC Sawgrass

Sold on that last bolded part!
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • mshillsmshills T-I-G-E-R-S! Fight Tigers, fight dammit, FIGHT FIGHT! Members Posts: 3,853 ✭✭
    The CPA is a high-value certification. My advice: pick a different industry. I would not waste the CPA you earned in the golf business.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
    TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
    Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
    TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
    Titleist 735.CM 4-PW, S300
    Titleist Vokey 54.14, 58.08
    Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
    Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather
  • bkirkley09bkirkley09 Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited May 20, 2018 #6
    Br1an02; wrote:

Good afternoon GolfWRX, I'm currently a CPA at one of the Big 4 accounting firms in FL and am looking to exit public accounting entirely and enter the golf industry. I know there are various management consulting companies specific to the golf industry (Troon, Global Golf Advisors, etc.) but I'm not sure what other avenues there may be, specifically in Florida as that is where my fiance and I will be settling down. I'd be curious to know if there is anyone else on here who has taken a similar path. Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you. CPA who is just tired of doing the CPA thing. I am looking at what can I do on my own rather than do Public or even corporate. Funniest thing is that my name is Brian as well so I just thought that was amusing. Just wanted to say good luck and keep me posted on how this goes! I live in Illinois by STL so its not a good golf as a career aspect. Florida should be doable hopefully!

PING G400 Max 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6X
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W, Oban Devotion 7x
    Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Smoke 80g 6.5
    Ping I210 4-PW, DG 120 S300
    Ping Glide Stealth, 50ss, 54ss, 58ss, AWT Wedge Flex
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Moto, 33"

• golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,576 ✭✭
    You could look for Controller openings either at independent clubs or as a regional position with a management company. The downside of that position is you see the financials up close, most aren’t pretty.
  • breakingbadbreakingbad Members Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Go independent and put yourself out there. In 2 years maybe have a solid client base and play when it isnt tax season
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,142 ✭✭
    Did you get the job with PGA?
  • ((hoselrocket))((hoselrocket)) Members Posts: 109 ✭✭
    I was in the golf business for over 10 years. One of my biggest regrets? Staying in the golf business for over 10 years.
  • BA_LuckBA_Luck Members Posts: 38 ✭✭

I was in the golf business for over 10 years. One of my biggest regrets? Staying in the golf business for over 10 years.
    This