g400 lst shaft advice to lower spin

adamr12

Trying to find a lower spin shaft without changing my launch angle.

Current specs- G400 lst 10 set to 9 to open face. Tour 65 stiff 45".

Swing info - gc quad numbers

ball speed average 150-154

swing path - slightly inside or neutral

angle of attack moves around from -2 to 0.

Aggressive transition

Not looking for swing advice. I know I should get my angle attack positive but I have struggled with this for a long time.

Shafts I have tried in this head so far.

Tour 65 stiff, project x lz hc 64G 6.0, x torsion 60 s.

As for feel. Tour 65 feels really solid and stable to me, project x lz feels nice but I always feel like its behind in the swing, x torsion is hard for me to feel the head and control but feels fast if that makes sense.

I have been doing tests of 10 shots each and tour 65 always gives best averages.

All of these shafts show good spin numbers if struck high toe. Center face or lower and spin jumps way to high 3500-5000.

HIgh toe shots for me are either great, bad hook or high block that goes no where. Too many variables.

I would ideally like something that lowers my spin when struck center. All these shafts produce to much spin on center or just below.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3500+ spin isn't going to be fixed with a shaft, hommes. Any time you miss hit the ball, the spin is going to be off. Just the way it is.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

3500+ spin isn't going to be fixed with a shaft, hommes. Any time you miss hit the ball, the spin is going to be off. Just the way it is.

I know miss hits will cost me but those high spin numbers are with middle strikes.

An example of one is .4 in to out. , .9 open to path, 1.3 down, 11 launch, 18 dynamic loft, ball hit center of face horizontal and vertical. Side spin 79 rpm right, back spin 3200 rpm

Tour Green my man, it’s a missile launcher

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

You are confused. AOA has very little affect on spin. Strike and gear effect are the keys. You can swing down with a driver and still get very low spin.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

You are confused. AOA has very little affect on spin. Strike and gear effect are the keys. You can swing down with a driver and still get very low spin.

Fair enough. Could you help me understand what could be the contributing factor for high spin on this shot. These are gc quad numbers.

An example of one is .4 in to out. 152 mph ball, 106 mph club , .9 open to path, 1.3 down, 11 launch, 18 dynamic loft, 8mm toe, 0.7mm low, Side spin 79 rpm right, back spin 3200 rpm. I feel like everything is pretty neutral.

Fair enough. Could you help me understand what could be the contributing factor for high spin on this shot. These are gc quad numbers.

An example of one is .4 in to out. 152 mph ball, 106 mph club , .9 open to path, 1.3 down, 11 launch, 18 dynamic loft, 8mm toe, 0.7mm low, Side spin 79 rpm right, back spin 3200 rpm. I feel like everything is pretty neutral.

152 ball speed coming outta 106 indicates Smash Factor is not stellar.

IMO that launch is too low and spin 500+ too high, indicating a strike a little lower on the driver face than GC Quad is correctly calculating.

Ken Lee Pucket and bag302 are right. All things being equal you can not change spin without changing loft. All things NOT being equal, better strikes will lower your spin and Ken Lee is right in pointing out that 152mph ball speed off of 106mph clubhead speed is not ideal and indicates you are not making strikes as solid as you think you are. Those numbers together make a smash factor of ~1.434 which is a decent bit below optimal. You should be striving for 1.48 (giving you 157mph ball speed) for the purposes of fine tuning spin because then you know you're not getting spin numbers based on gear effect. All a shaft can do is change your dynamic loft (and possibly your delivery if the shaft feels much different) and if your problem is inefficient strikes, likely below the CG causing increased spin, then a shaft will not help you.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

IMO that launch is too low and spin 500+ too high, indicating a strike a little lower on the driver face than GC Quad is correctly calculating.

My launch is usually around 15-16. That was just a random shot I grabbed data from. I have been working on strike higher on the face. For whatever reason which I do not know but when I strike higher on the face it is always toe side

Ken Lee Pucket and bag302 are right. All things being equal you can not change spin without changing loft. All things NOT being equal, better strikes will lower your spin and Ken Lee is right in pointing out that 152mph ball speed off of 106mph clubhead speed is not ideal and indicates you are not making strikes as solid as you think you are. Those numbers together make a smash factor of ~1.434 which is a decent bit below optimal. You should be striving for 1.48 (giving you 157mph ball speed) for the purposes of fine tuning spin because then you know you're not getting spin numbers based on gear effect. All a shaft can do is change your dynamic loft (and possibly your delivery if the shaft feels much different) and if your problem is inefficient strikes, likely below the CG causing increased spin, then a shaft will not help you.

I agree that my strike could be better. I also think gc quad reads club speed higher then trackman by about 5mph.

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks

I misread the stats. Disregard my loft comment

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

My setup below still launches high (15-17*) but spins low (2200 to 2500 RPM). And most importantly flies straight (usually with a draw). Peak height is around 30 to 35 yards. I have similar ball speeds to yours in the high 140s to low 150s -- all of this measured by Skytrak.

BTW -- a low face or heel mishit for me will still spin to 3000+ (but that is just a bad strike). You have to hit these modern clubs slightly high and toe side to get the most out of them (as I understand).

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

I swing similarly to you... speed (104/5 on trackman) and AoA, though I have a moderate transition.

Couple things:

-I noticed a couple hundred RPM difference moving from the 10* to the 8.5 head. You also mentioned a 15* launch...8.5 head could be great for you

-I was playing a Hzrdus Yellow and moved to a Fubuki J (and tried other "stiffer" options in between). Because I could load and time the Fubuki much better than the others, my strike got much more consistent, so my spin came down. Now I'm around 2500 on good strikes, which is pretty optimal for me.

Point is, give a shaft with a slightly different profile a try (especially if that Ping Tour feels good), and see if it helps your timing and strike.

Something like the Fuji Evolution range comes to mind...might even tip it a little to bring the launch/spin down. I got great results from the Fuji Evo 757...and the heavier shaft might be a good thing for your more aggressive transition.

1. Never listed well struck spin rate

2. My spin with g lstec was low 2k at 0 attack angle...nothing Epic threw at me could get that low. KK 60TX shaft

3. Tried max head?

Well struck for me where I see best spin rates would be above center toe side which hovers around 2200-2500. Everywhere else it gets really high. Number one thing I have learned from all these replies is strike location is number 1. I would just love if there was something that could help minimize high spin on my misses. Only problem I see with that is spin on my good strikes will probably start getting to low I imagine.

I swing similarly to you... speed (104/5 on trackman) and AoA, though I have a moderate transition.

Couple things:

-I noticed a couple hundred RPM difference moving from the 10* to the 8.5 head. You also mentioned a 15* launch...8.5 head could be great for you

-I was playing a Hzrdus Yellow and moved to a Fubuki J (and tried other "stiffer" options in between). Because I could load and time the Fubuki much better than the others, my strike got much more consistent, so my spin came down. Now I'm around 2500 on good strikes, which is pretty optimal for me.

Point is, give a shaft with a slightly different profile a try (especially if that Ping Tour feels good), and see if it helps your timing and strike.

Something like the Fuji Evolution range comes to mind...might even tip it a little to bring the launch/spin down. I got great results from the Fuji Evo 757...and the heavier shaft might be a good thing for your more aggressive transition.

Thanks for the advice!

If you can't find the "pegasus", I would forget about trying to maintain the high launch angle. You'll get better results my bringing your spin down with a lower launch.

For example: 12-13.5* launch and mid to lower 2000's spin. Will give you more release and total distance when the fairway conditions allow for it....and will perform better in any wind condition.

Use this as a goal for your center strikes,....then if you catch one higher on the face, you'll get a higher launch and less spin

GCQuad over estimates swing speed by a few mph in most cases. Since quad measures the face, you almost don't need to pay attention to swing speed... you can see ball speed and strike location, quality of strike and thus "smash" can be gleaned. I've never really seen anybody have 1.5 smash on quad, even on perfect center hits, but I could be wrong. Conversely... Trackman usually UNDER estimates swingspeed, which is why you tend to see 1.51 and 1.52 smash scores with that.

GCQuad over estimates swing speed by a few mph in most cases. Since quad measures the face, you almost don't need to pay attention to swing speed... you can see ball speed and strike location, quality of strike and thus "smash" can be gleaned. I've never really seen anybody have 1.5 smash on quad, even on perfect center hits, but I could be wrong. Conversely... Trackman usually UNDER estimates swingspeed, which is why you tend to see 1.51 and 1.52 smash scores with that.

Ya everything I have seen and the monitors I have been on I can say for sure that gc quad always gives a higher swing speed. Ball speed should always be on par though. Gc quad max smash is 1.45 I believe also. I have a skytrak at home and my numbers are always lower then gc quad. I would like to believe gc quad because of price point but I am very happy with skytrak. 3 years now and not a single issue.

If you can't find the "pegasus", I would forget about trying to maintain the high launch angle. You'll get better results my bringing your spin down with a lower launch.

For example: 12-13.5* launch and mid to lower 2000's spin. Will give you more release and total distance when the fairway conditions allow for it....and will perform better in any wind condition.

Use this as a goal for your center strikes,....then if you catch one higher on the face, you'll get a higher launch and less spin

Good advice! Thank You