We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

With irons where do you place the ball at address (heel side, middle, toe side)?

erock9174 ·  
erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4094Members Posts: 4,094
I tried to do a search but everything kept coming up with where to place the ball in your stance which I am not looking for.

I am curious where people setup to the ball in relation to the club face? Extreme heel side, slight heel side, middle, slight toe side, extreme toe side?

I was fitted for some G700 6-UW irons and lately haven't been able to hit the 7 and 6 irons worth a lick. So much so that I am contemplating going back to my old irons.

I always setup to the ball with the ball in the middle of the iron blade but today after hitting some poor shots tried moving the ball slightly to the heel side. This seemed to help things for the better. Better sound/feel, better contact, higher flight, less duffs, etc.

Hoping I am onto something with the change. So I am curious to see where others setup to the ball.

Thanks
Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

Comments

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer  1699Members Posts: 1,699
    always middle...adjust club path to effect flight
    Posted:
    G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370Members Posts: 4,370
    Tap the club face with the eraser end of a pencil. Where it centered will be where I address the golf ball.

Modern irons with parameter weighing usually have it centered in the face , older irons might have this toward the heel.

Check your alignment with help from someone else. I had encountered many golfers thought they center the driver face to the golf ball, but in reality, they had the golf ball toward the heel. Someone stand inline behind the target line could make out if you address the golf ball at the spot you thought you did.
    Posted:
  • bcsquarebcsquare  294Members Posts: 294
    In my pre-shot routine, I have to make sure my shoulders and hips are square. So I put the club down with the ball at the toe, square up which moves the club out to a heel side address.

This is something I had to incorporate from lessons. I fought a pull for a long time which was related to path issues. I used to strike the toe often but now it's center or a bit heel side.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 3W 13.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 17.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Project X LZ 6.0
    Taylormade My Spider X
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WA 714Members Posts: 714
    bcsquare wrote:

In my pre-shot routine, I have to make sure my shoulders and hips are square. So I put the club down with the ball at the toe, square up which moves the club out to a heel side address.

This is something I had to incorporate from lessons. I fought a pull for a long time which was related to path issues. I used to strike the toe often but now it's center or a bit heel side.
    I've been noticing I hit the toe quite a bit as well. So setting up toward the heel of the club has helped you strike more center?
    Posted:
    Ping i20 9.5
    Callaway rouge sub zero 15
    Adams pro mini 20
    Bridgestone tour b x-cb 4-pw 
    Vokey sm7 50.12, sm7 56.10, sm6 62.08
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • CwebbCwebb  6005Members Posts: 6,005
    There's been great ball strikers who address it towards the toe and others who address it towards the heel. Some of it has to do with how "long" we set our arms at address and how much "tension" is there. Those who set up with less "stretch" in their arms and more relaxed, will tend to have the club head return further "out" than it started at address,.....because the force of the downswing will pull the arms out from their relaxed starting position.....which would usually lead to better results from the ball being addressed further out on the club face. This is how George Knudson, one of the purest strikers of all time, explained why he addressed it towards the toe.

The key is once you "settle" on your swing characteristics, do detailed impact pattern testing to see what your tendencies are. Then experiment from there.
    Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370Members Posts: 4,370
    Bobb3rdown wrote:

bcsquare wrote:

I've been noticing I hit the toe quite a bit as well. So setting up toward the heel of the club has helped you strike more center?

Have someone look at your golf swing. Whatever it was, caused the toe hit . Could be one or multiple of reasons.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Maine 20241Members Posts: 20,241
    I set up slightly to the heel side.
    Posted:
    Titleist 915d3 9.5
    Titleist 917f3 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Titleist 716mb 3-Pw
    Vokey Sm7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
    Titleist ProV1
  • MikeskiMikeski  311ClubWRX Posts: 311
    I set up with the ball at the heel/hosel which makes me hit dead center of the club face on my downswing. This is only with my irons. The woods are lined up at the center of the club face. This past winter I experimented with different ball positions just to see where my consistency was and lining up at the heel/hosel was it.

Sounds like you figured it out. You set up where you think you'll make better contact with your new irons.
    Posted:
  • semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NC 770Members Posts: 770
    Middle on the irons but toe side with my driver. Don't know why I just tried it one day and was striping it.
    Posted:
  • CwebbCwebb  6005Members Posts: 6,005
    semarlor wrote:

Middle on the irons but toe side with my driver. Don't know why I just tried it one day and was striping it.

The "hotspot" is slightly toe side for nearly all modern drivers,...whereas the sweet-spot for irons is dead center or slightly heel side.

Also, when addressing a teed up ball, if we start the head near the ground, but return to impact at the higher teed ball position, the head will 'all else equal' return further out. This promotes contact that is further out on the face, then we "think" we should based on address
    Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7881Members Posts: 7,881
    Middle for me. Might be a swing flaw OP, or clubs are too long?!
    Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!

Advertisement
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson  568Members Posts: 568
    I'm about a quarter ball toe-side of middle with my 5 iron, and move heel-wards slightly through the set to where I'm about 3/4 of a ball heel-side on full wedge shots. Woods and Hybrids I'm dead in the middle.

Just go to the range and screw around until you find what works for your swing.
    Posted:
    Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • bcsquarebcsquare  294Members Posts: 294
    wkuo3 wrote:

Bobb3rdown wrote:

bcsquare wrote:

Have someone look at your golf swing. Whatever it was, caused the toe hit . Could be one or multiple of reasons.

The above post is what I'd tell you as well. Lessons have been the best investment over equipment.

I do strike more center and toe strikes are very uncommon now. However the set up was one of the results of correcting swing path and working on compressing the ball.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5*, PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Cobra F9 3W 13.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 17.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Project X LZ 6.0
    Taylormade My Spider X
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4094Members Posts: 4,094
    Thanks everyone. I used a sharpie line on the ball with my 7i today and when setting up with ball in the middle the strikes we’re middle to toe side. With ball slightly towards the heel my impact was more concentrated in the center of the face.
    Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5820Members Posts: 5,820

This^
    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Mizuno MP 20SEL 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X
  • JohnnypensoJohnnypenso Ooooh, that's a duff.  202Members Posts: 202
    Probably about a half inch towards the toe with all clubs. My arms are very relaxed at address and I think I extend slightly with the full swing. That's my theory anyway.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tips09tips09  317Members Posts: 317
    lawsonman wrote:

This^

+1 as well.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon U85 18* Recoil 125 Proto S
    Srixon U45 23* Nippon SPB X
    Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon SPB X
    Cleveland RTX 3 48* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet  8782Members Posts: 8,782
    Heel side with everything
    Posted:
    M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • ChipNRunChipNRun  1840Members Posts: 1,840
    An additional factor is proper shaft length. A couple of fittings suggest my irons are about 1/4" too short. I tend to contact my irons on the toe end of the club.

Here's the alignment adjustment I made to get more center hits:

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • baudibaudi  673Members Posts: 673
    Depending on trajectory.

Fade: towards heel

Draw: towards toe.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2703Members Posts: 2,703
    Plenty of great golfers address the ball somewhere other than the center of the clubface. If you’re hitting it a little off toe and lining up on the heel puts your contact in the center then go for it.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  2652Members Posts: 2,652
    I address the ball exactly where I plan to hit it.

Hosel.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Veylix Rome 888x || Taylormade M1 13* Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet  8782Members Posts: 8,782
    Valtiel wrote:
    I address the ball exactly where I plan to hit it.

Hosel.

That sir is pure genius.
    Posted:
    M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • 1b!ggolfnut1b!ggolfnut  166Members Posts: 166
    I hit it best lining the ball up on the heel.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.