Won tickets to Shinnecock travel questions

Hello all. I was lucky enough to have won 2 tickets to the US Open at Shinnecock. Needless to say I’m fired up. I won’t get the tickets until the beginning of May but once I do I’ll know exactly what day/days they are for. I will be coming from northern NJ. What is the best way to get there and where do I stay if I decide an overnight is the best way to go? Anything else that you would think would be beneficial info would be appreciated. I’ve never traveled to that area of Long Island before and I know that this region is a traffic nightmare throughout the summer so I’ll have to account for that. Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stationed with the Coast Guard 5 minutes away from Shinnecock and ironically my Coast Guard station's name was Coast Guard Station Shinnecock.

I am very familiar with the area and can tell you that while I don't know your financial situation, finding a hotel anywhere near the area other than a very lavish bed and breakfast is almost out of the question. Your best bet is to find lodging a little bit more West on the island starting with Patchogue and working your way Westward into Islip and other areas.

Whatever you do, remember that the day of the tournament the traffic will be nothing short of a living nightmare because Long Island is basically comprised of a Eastward and Westward Highway.

Once you get closer to the actual Golf Course the traffic will come to an almost standstill because you will now be on the Montauk Highway which is a two-lane Highway and is very difficult to make good time on.

You will be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful part of the East Coast and I wish you a wonderful time at the tournament

I agree with some of the earlier comments, find a hotel in eastern Suffolk county and then take the LIRR to Shinny. They're building a temporary platform/stop basically right outside the course so you can walk right off the train and into the event. Driving, beyond the potential traffic, will be a pain because the parking for the event is a 25 minute shuttle ride away from the course.

Despite living on LI, I know nothing about the hotel situation out here but I'd consider Babylon if there is something decent there. The train will be direct from Babylon and there is a decent "downtown" area with bars/restaurants.

• 1 month later...

Piggy backing on the back of this one. I'm thinking to go either Thursday or Friday and haven't yet decided whether to take the train or drive. Did anyone drive there last time the tournament was there? What was the traffic like very early in the morning (I'm thinking to be on the road around 5:30). I'm near Bethpage. Did anyone take the train last time? It looks like the trains from Babylon are going only at about 45 minute intervals, which means they're going to be crazy busy and the first train isn't until 7:08. Does that sound right? I'd take an uber to the train station.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

The Babylon line extending east on the lirr is the only train option. The trains will be crowded, but they should be the double deckers if I recall correctly from last time. If I were you I’d be looking for a hotel near Babylon or patchogue and training it as others have said. The lirr page on the mta website has the train schedule up for next week for each day eastbound and west. Driving east next week will be a disaster. If you leave at 530 maybe no so bad getting there, but prob a train wreck getting out. Parking is in Westhampton at gabreski airport, a good 25 min shuttle ride to Shinny.

Went in 2004 and I can tell you that the train is absolutely without a doubt the way to go. The tracks go right by the course, and in 2004 they had a temporary station set within a couple of hundred yards of the entrance. Can't even imagine trying to get to the course through Hamptons traffic, which is terrible even when there isn't a US Open going on..

Went in 2004 and I can tell you that the train is absolutely without a doubt the way to go. The tracks go right by the course, and in 2004 they had a temporary station set within a couple of hundred yards of the entrance. Can't even imagine trying to get to the course through Hamptons traffic, which is terrible even when there isn't a US Open going on..

So my issue is I want to get there early and then leave early. I have to be back home by 4:00. The first train there in the morning doesn't leave Babylon till about 7:08 and gets to Shinnecock at 8:20 or so. The first returning train is at 2:30. Also too late. That's if I go Thursday. If I go Friday I could go a little later and come back a little later, but I'm thinking that I might go early and then come back fairly early and go play in the afternoon. Whenever I go watch I get the bug to go play. I'm assuming that the traffic won't be too bad if I'm getting there at 6:00 and also won't be too bad if I'm leaving at 1:30. Drawback to driving is it's nice to have a beer or three. What I don't want to do though is drive out there and get there at 6am and find out that the first shuttle doesn't leave until 8:00 or that there isn't a return shuttle until 3:00 or some such. Both would not be good. I can't find anything that states what times the shuttle buses are running.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

What will driving around the area be like? I'll be coming in from Jersey City.... There's really only one way in and out. Going on Saturday, not sure what to expect really.

I went to Bethpage for the '02 US Open which is only halfway out on Long Island. I can say with confidence it will be terrible on the LIE, first getting through Queens and then again once you get towards the South Fork where the course is. Plan ahead for a day in traffic. We are still trying to figure out whether we will drive or train it.

What will driving around the area be like? I'll be coming in from Jersey City.... There's really only one way in and out. Going on Saturday, not sure what to expect really.

I went to Bethpage for the '02 US Open which is only halfway out on Long Island. I can say with confidence it will be terrible on the LIE, first getting through Queens and then again once you get towards the South Fork where the course is. Plan ahead for a day in traffic. We are still trying to figure out whether we will drive or train it.

If I hit the LIE at 6am, will it still be bad? I expect that if i stayed til the final pairing finished 18... that it'll take me forever to get out.... so I may leave a bit early depending who that group is. If it's Tiger.... it's worth the traffic.

If I hit the LIE at 6am, will it still be bad? I expect that if i stayed til the final pairing finished 18... that it'll take me forever to get out.... so I may leave a bit early depending who that group is. If it's Tiger.... it's worth the traffic.

Probably. I think we left South Jersey around 4am and got through Brooklyn by about 6am. If you go that early you will probably miss the traffic at the city, but the LIE is not setup for heavy traffic going to just one exit on the island. What's going to happen is that there won't be a ton of traffic on the LIE until you get within about 10 miles of the tournament, and then that one exit is going to be completely backed up for miles, complete with line jumpers that make it worse...

Weighing my options coming from CT. Where would be the best place to park and take the LIRR in? Also contemplating on taking the ferry to either Port Jeff or Orient Point, does anyone know if there will be uber available at either ferry?

Which days? Thursday and Friday parking at LIRR stations will be frankly impossible. They'll all be taken by people doing their regular commuting and they fill up early - not to mention a lot of them are resident permits only. The LIRR website will tell you where you can park at the stations, but it won't tell you when they'll fill up. Saturday and Sunday most of them open up and you can probably park much more easily. Still might be busy though and risky. If you can't park then what? As far as the stations, you want to find one on the Montauk line. I think Babylon is the westernmost station that will be helpful. If you're training it though, you are probably best going into the city and then back out again. It'll be a long ride. Or just drive to the parking.

I don't know if ubers will be around, but I would expect they will be. Maybe just do a spot check on Monday or Tuesday and see how it looks. Try Lyft too.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

nightmare upon nightmare!!! If the train is actually stopping close it is the only option

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Just curious.

I know the USGA will do as they please.....and there are so many great courses to choose from....why do there bother hosting a USO at Shinny considering there are basically no accommodations nearby and what seems like a traffic nightmare to get there.

It has a direct train link to the biggest city in the United States. The trip to the course from the major hotels will be shorter than it was at Erin Hills.

As someone from the Midwest this thread keeps pulling me in to read due to the sheer effort required to move around in that part of the country.

You all get an A for effort :)

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

As someone from the Midwest this thread keeps pulling me in to read due to the sheer effort required to move around in that part of the country.

Here's my travel to get there. By car with 0 traffic it's a 2.5 hour drive.

1) Drive from house to train - 10 minutes

2) Train to Manhattan - 85 minutes

3) Small lay over til next train - 40 minutes

4) Manhattan to Shinnecock Hills Golf Course - 2 hours 21 mins

276 minutes, 3 transfers between trains.

Oh well, faster than driving day of and I can enjoy a few adult beverages along the way.

I agree Stetson. A completely different world. I’ve always wondered, do people take their clubs on public transportation when they’re going to play?

That time of morning you should be ok. I would cut down to the southern state parkway and then to sunrise as quick as you can. The usga and Siri will try and get you to take the lie to 111 or exit 70 which will become a bottleneck like on a summer Friday with Hamptons traffic. I know it’s Monday, but it just looked like the normal trade parade of vans heading east, nothing super crazy on 27 or sunrise highway this am on my way to work. The problem out East will be the fact that they are supposedly shutting a lane down on sunrise for the shuttle busses.

I agree Stetson. A completely different world. I’ve always wondered, do people take their clubs on public transportation when they’re going to play?

On a NYC subway, a guy carrying a bag of clubs is nothing.

If you have or use Instagram, go look up "Subway Creatures".

Oh well, faster than driving day of and I can enjoy a few adult beverages along the way.

276 minutes... That is some love for the game right there. I would make the trek myself but I think getting my dad or friends to do it would be unlikely

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

276 minutes... That is some love for the game right there. I would make the trek myself but I think getting my dad or friends to do it would be unlikely

For the Open, it's worth it. If this was just a regular tourney I would not travel that much for it.

My friend is meeting me at Penn Station in Manhattan... True golf fans know it's worth the $$ and time.