Beating your personal best

AreJohn

I've had 4 rounds in the last month where I've been 5 or 6 under coming into the last 4 holes, and ended up shooting 68-71. With 68 being my personal best (and having shot it about 20 times) I'm starting to go grey from the stress.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced not being able to beat your personal best after being on the number for a very long time? Did you ever overcome it? And if you're still chasing that dream like me I'd love to hear your story too.

You my friend are in the same boat I've been in for awhile now. Let me re-phrase that. I'll never hit my low again, much less from 7,000+ yards like I did a dozen times 20 years ago. I play pretty well still, at 52, but could be much better if my brain would just let go.....LOL. Very few can even relate to scores in the Low 70's, much less breaking par, or popping the 60's. Great golf right there, but you KNOW it's in your head, right?......LOL

I stopped keeping score for a while and that seemed to help. I’d have my playing partner keep score and vice versa. Really helped me focus on one hole at a time..

When I started playing competitively I tried to break the round into 3 hole “mini rounds”. I can’t remember where I read this idea, but certainly not original to me. Helped out a lot in terms of really trying to pace myself and focus on shooting the lowest score I could.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Tensei 1K Black 75X)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Srixon Z-Star Diamond '23

You my friend are in the same boat I've been in for awhile now. Let me re-phrase that. I'll never hit my low again, much less from 7,000+ yards like I did a dozen times 20 years ago. I play pretty well still, at 52, but could be much better if my brain would just let go.....LOL. Very few can even relate to scores in the Low 70's, much less breaking par, or popping the 60's. Great golf right there, but you KNOW it's in your head, right?......LOL

The worst part is that it's in my head lol. I won my high school conference the first time with a 15 foot putt on the last hole, and passed the PAT on the number with a 30-40 footer on 18. Something about my personal best just gets my nerves up like nothing ever has. I've probably shanked fewer than 10 shots on course and 2 of them have been on the last 4 holes this weekend and last.

That’s where I’m at too. We got a decent size refund check so I told the wife I’m taking lessons for the summer and she can have the rest. She got new family room furniture and I’m getting better at golf. Second best part the old family room furniture was only 3 years old so it went in the man cave in the basement replacing the crappy stuff I had down there.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I've shot 67 quite a few times, but never better. That was 8 plus years ago. Since then handicap has risen with family obligations, etc...

I don't expect to shoot that again. Would I like to? Sure, but I don't stress about it. Golf is a fickle game

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Just shot a new personal best yesterday. Previously it was a 75 and yesterday went out with a buddy from work, didn’t have any expectations to score well, moved up a tee box to play the same box as him(tips are only 6500 or so, whites were around 6,000. So not long by any stretch), went out and shot a 1 over 72. Was 2 under at the turn with bogeying #9 after having to take a drop. Ended up bogeying 3 of my last 4 which put a damper on an otherwise great round. I had been hovering in the low 80’s lately so no idea where this round came from to be honest...

I can’t even count the number of times I’ve stood on the 18th tee knowing that I could make bogey for a personal best and then made double.

I feel like I’ve got a new PB in me this summer, but I can guarantee you that I’ll choke it away a couple of times before I get there.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I had a chance recently to take it very low for me. Birdied 14 (decent par 5) and missed a 10 ft birdie putt on 15. Made birdie at 16. Missed a short birdie at 17. Then doubled 18 to shoot even. Just can’t quite get into the 60s. Screw it up every time.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Two weekends ago I was even after 14 holes, on pace to tie my all-time best (even). On 15 tee my buddy says "wow, you've got a great round going. Don't mess it up".

I'm like "thanks, a**hole". I bogeyed 15, but I got it back with a bird on 16. I was really nervous on 18, but managed to scrape together a bogey for a 1-over round. Oh well.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I've had 4 rounds in the last month where I've been 5 or 6 under coming into the last 4 holes, and ended up shooting 68-71. With 68 being my personal best (and having shot it about 20 times) I'm starting to go grey from the stress.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced not being able to beat your personal best after being on the number for a very long time? Did you ever overcome it? And if you're still chasing that dream like me I'd love to hear your story too.

You're 5 or 6 under standing on 15 tee and blow it (nice to have Ariya Jutanugarn posting on WRX).

You've got to get comfortable with that number so that it isn't a sphincter tightener. Make a strategy on the final holes that requires you to make aggressive swings but not reckless. Play shots that give you the best chance at making birdie without putting double or worse into play. Likely the same way that got you to that number in the first place. Be aware of where you are generally - playing good without focusing on the number and make one good swing at a time. Combine that with good decisions and you will break past it.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I stopped keeping score for a while and that seemed to help. I’d have my playing partner keep score and vice versa. Really helped me focus on one hole at a time..

When I started playing competitively I tried to break the round into 3 hole “mini rounds”. I can’t remember where I read this idea, but certainly not original to me. Helped out a lot in terms of really trying to pace myself and focus on shooting the lowest score I could.

I gave the mini round a try today and it really helped keep me in the game. Breaking up the round like that helped me shut out the couple bad shots much easier than a running + or - through the round. Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna keep at it and see how it goes

Just shot a new personal best yesterday. Previously it was a 75 and yesterday went out with a buddy from work, didn't have any expectations to score well, moved up a tee box to play the same box as him(tips are only 6500 or so, whites were around 6,000. So not long by any stretch), went out and shot a 1 over 72. Was 2 under at the turn with bogeying #9 after having to take a drop. Ended up bogeying 3 of my last 4 which put a damper on an otherwise great round. I had been hovering in the low 80's lately so no idea where this round came from to be honest...

Congrats! My first 68 snuck up on me like that as well. I was a 5 or 6 handicap and had never shot below par, wasn't keeping score at all and was mad about a bogey on 18 before they told me what I shot!

The second time I shot it was a few months later. The back nine was flooded so we were playing the front twice. I was playing great the week before but shot 38 the first loop, then eagled the par 5 first, birdied 3, holed a fairway eagle on the par 4 4th and made a few more on the way in for a 38-28 66, and I just realized that 66 is my personal best instead of 68... The front 9 was a par 35 though so it's still a 4 under PB.

Keep on swinging it, now that you know it's in you it'll come easier on those closing holes.

Two weekends ago I was even after 14 holes, on pace to tie my all-time best (even). On 15 tee my buddy says "wow, you've got a great round going. Don't mess it up".

I'm like "thanks, a**hole". I bogeyed 15, but I got it back with a bird on 16. I was really nervous on 18, but managed to scrape together a bogey for a 1-over round. Oh well.

Had a little team bet going this weekend and my partner was on track for his best round when the away team pointed out he was 1 under on 10 tee. Snapped that drive over the highway and rode my back in to shoot his handicap on the dot. Don't these people know not to jinx the pitcher?

5-6 under par and you're a 3.8? What's the rating of the courses you're playing?

Blue Tees 71.2

White Tees 68.5

Par 71

I've done it 3 times from the white this month and once from the blues. Not a very hard course but a lot of white stakes that my ball loves to fly over. 5 par 5's and 6 par 3's.

For 2 years I only played 5-10 times a year and gained a lot of weight so my game went down the drain, but I fell back in love with it last year and decided to get back where I used to play. I was a low 6 or high 5 just a few weeks ago, and my rounds this weekend have me trending at 3.2.

I was my best during college. If I wasn't in class I was at the golf course (I worked at a course). During season I played or practiced just about 6 days a week. Once I graduated I essentially took 4 years off as I was in grad school and just didn't have the time to play. I'd get out a few times a year but my game took a nose dive. Now as a working adult I don't have near as much time to play as I did in college. I'm hoping "wisdom" and "experience" will eventually lead to getting back to scratch... wishful thinking maybe.

Play the most forward tees once in a while. Make a pile of birdies and get more comfortable being waaaay under your PB. That will lessen (not do away with entirely) your stress level the next time you get to the 15th tee at -5 from your normal tees.

I highly recommend that everyone play all the way up and 1 set of tees back every now and then. From the up tees, practice making birdies (yes, making birdies and being under par are skills, and they take practice). From 1 set of markers farther back, practice grinding (for pars or bogies, either way). Figure out a way to get it in the hole, no matter what it looks like.

Sprinkling these rounds in will go a long way towards helping you break through your barrier!

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Play the most forward tees once in a while. Make a pile of birdies and get more comfortable being waaaay under your PB. That will lessen (not do away with entirely) your stress level the next time you get to the 15th tee at -5 from your normal tees.

I highly recommend that everyone play all the way up and 1 set of tees back every now and then. From the up tees, practice making birdies (yes, making birdies and being under par are skills, and they take practice). From 1 set of markers farther back, practice grinding (for pars or bogies, either way). Figure out a way to get it in the hole, no matter what it looks like.

Sprinkling these rounds in will go a long way towards helping you break through your barrier!

I actually do play the forward tees sometimes, it's just hard to keep a serious score playing by myself and noone wants to play the "ladies" tees with me. I've been trying to talk my father and the guys we play with into it, but no luck so far. Could call it a case study in toxic masculinity lol.

I was my best during college. If I wasn't in class I was at the golf course (I worked at a course). During season I played or practiced just about 6 days a week. Once I graduated I essentially took 4 years off as I was in grad school and just didn't have the time to play. I'd get out a few times a year but my game took a nose dive. Now as a working adult I don't have near as much time to play as I did in college. I'm hoping "wisdom" and "experience" will eventually lead to getting back to scratch... wishful thinking maybe.

I took a little less time off than you but I'm almost in the same boat. My "wisdom" and "experience" are definitely weighed down by the pounds I put on after college. Leaving golf as a 1 and coming back as a 6 was painful but I'm determined to get a + in front of that number.

I took a little less time off than you but I'm almost in the same boat. My "wisdom" and "experience" are definitely weighed down by the pounds I put on after college. Leaving golf as a 1 and coming back as a 6 was painful but I'm determined to get a + in front of that number.

"Better to have [been scratch] than never to have [been scratch] at all?"

Doesn't help me that I have to travel quite a bit for work. I've started doing a lot to get back there that I hadn't really done before. Chipping in the back yard, practice swings in front of the mirror when I can't be at the course. I've gotten pretty serious about golf fitness. Hoping it all adds up to help off set the time away from the course.

Grey?........I'll give you a few reasons to go grey. In a tournament you shoot 2 68's and you're not in the Top 10. Or play you a** off in a tournament at 7200 yards, shoot 66, and the guy your marking for drops a 59. Or shoot 66 and lose 4 shots on the leader. Thank God I wasn't trying to play for a living, golf is as demoralizing at times as anything on the planet........But it is fun, for sure!......Keep plugging away Bro, that's what we do!.......LOL

There is no way I will ever replicate my personal best score again..... I have shot 64 twice in tournaments , in days gone by, and still play well, but at 72 years old those scores will never be beaten or equaled again. However I did set a new "Other" PB this morning :taunt: I went to the course early this morning hoping to pick up a game with whoever was available..... Oops, only 2 cars in the parking lot (weather forecast was for rain so I guess everyone stayed indoors) I told the pro shop I would be okay playing alone just for the practice and since I am suffering with a bad hip I took a cart out and played FAST to beat whatever rain might be coming. There was no one else out on the course..... 45 minutes front 9 and the same on the back...1 1/2 hours for 18 holes. :swoon: Course is par 71 at just over 6500 yards.... 14 pars, 2 birdies, 2 bogeys.... 71...another one under my age :golfer:

I did not pull the flag before putting but did putt every ball into the hole.....good fun, but I will not post it for handicap or attempt to beat that time. :stink:

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

There is no way I will ever replicate my personal best score again..... I have shot 64 twice in tournaments , in days gone by, and still play well, but at 72 years old those scores will never be beaten or equaled again. However I did set a new "Other" PB this morning :taunt: I went to the course early this morning hoping to pick up a game with whoever was available..... Oops, only 2 cars in the parking lot (weather forecast was for rain so I guess everyone stayed indoors) I told the pro shop I would be okay playing alone just for the practice and since I am suffering with a bad hip I took a cart out and played FAST to beat whatever rain might be coming. There was no one else out on the course..... 45 minutes front 9 and the same on the back...1 1/2 hours for 18 holes. :swoon: Course is par 71 at just over 6500 yards.... 14 pars, 2 birdies, 2 bogeys.... 71...another one under my age :golfer:

I did not pull the flag before putting but did putt every ball into the hole.....good fun, but I will not post it for handicap or attempt to beat that time. :stink:

I think that lap time definitely earned the pole position! I had a fun solo experience this week as well, made my second hole-in-one. Unfortunately the first one was also in a solo round so I still don't have one to register.