2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

Very surprising the MAX is in the lead. The sound...ehhh.

I love that sound and it's become music to my ears.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

After playing the G400 Max for several rounds, I have no desire to even pick up another driver. I can't imagine something being better for me. The forgiveness and length are a killer combination. My playing partners are shocked at my driver play now due to its consistency. I'm almost shocked if I don't hit a fairway or at least stay playable. I'm sold.

That's how my buddy is but with the new M3. He's been playing the original M1 and still fought a slice and all, I'd give his FW% then around.. 30%. He picked up the newest M3 a few weeks back, and out of the box, no adjustments, he's added easily 15-20yds and is only missing 1-3 FW's a round. A pretty shocking testament to TM, and the resilency of new equipment altogether..

I had the EPIC SZ last year with a Fuji Atmos Black shaft that I was fitted into but really struggled with it out of the gate this year so I bought a Rogue SZ head and kept the shaft and still struggled. So I went over to Club Champion and they fit me into a new M3 with the Kiyoshi White and its an incredible difference. That M3 is legit!

TM M3 9.5*, Oban Kiyoshi White 04
TM M3 15*, Oban Devotion 04
Apex 2 Hybrid 18*, Kuro Kage 80g Stiff
4-PW Callaway Apex, KBS C-Taper
50* 54* Vokey SM6
MD PM Grind 60*
TM Spider Tour

The G400 Max is the best driver I have ever used.

I currently use the Ping G 10.5 with Alta stock regular flex.

I played a round last Friday with the G400 Max, 10.5 with the Alta copper stock 55 gram regular shaft.

Hit 12 of 14 fairways and hit it consistently 5-15 yards farther.

The G400 Max with the Alta shaft will definite hit it higher, so you have to adjust loft accordingly.

I will order a new G400 Max shortly.

I selected the G400 Max but still prefer my Ping G which is still available. This is an incredible driver. I was fitted last spring and ended up with the standard G and Tour 80 R flex shaft. My fitter had it set to 11 degrees but kept feeling like I was losing some distance because I was hitting it too high. Finally I lowered the loft to 10 degrees and have been bombing it ever since. As a former Taylormade R11 owner which for me seemed to only have 1 gear/trajectory, I really appreciate the ability to be able to hit it high or low with the G. Since lowering the loft I am also finding it a little easier to draw the ball when I want. All in all, an excellent driver,

Very surprising the MAX is in the lead. The sound...ehhh.

Maybe I got lucky with my Max head, but it sounds exactly like my g400 LST. It's not too loud and tinny, but not too quiet, either.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I've been gaming the Rogue SZ with T1100 65g 6.5 flex. Really really like it

Got curious so I got a G400 Max which will have a T1100 75g 6.5 flex.

Going head to head on my GC2 this week for numbers and I'm going to play the 400 regardless to see how it compares on the course.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Psychologists use words such as Confabulation, Autosuggestion, Blind faith and even Delusion, which can lead to self deception and foolish hope.

Drivers?...go try them at a place of sale, and with the help of technology today you will have the best opportunity ever in the history of golf to be fitted for a club for YOU.

The latest, greatest and of course the most expensive may not be for you....internet forums will destroy the truth..lol.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I voted for the Rogue SZ because that it was replaced my Epic SZ. However, I got fit for a G400 Max in Scottsdale earlier this week so I may be changing my vote for that!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Tensei 60TX
3 wood: Ping G425 14.5* Tour 75X
Hybrid: Ping G430 19* Kaili 85X
Utility: Srixon ZX 4-21.5* Project X LZ 6.5
Irons: Srixon ZX7 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Gap Wedge: Srixon ZX7 PW bent to 50*
Sand & Lob Wedges: Vokey SM8s - 54/12 D, 58/10 M
Putter: 2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 20 gram weights

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx Left Dash

I voted for the Rogue SZ because that it was replaced my Epic SZ. However, I got fit for a G400 Max in Scottsdale earlier this week so I may be changing my vote for that!

Like a true WRX'er!

Good man

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

So I just changed my vote from the cobra F8+ to the Rogue SZ. One round with it and I’m convinced.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I tried the g400lst and it was all over the place. When I got fitted, the rogue Subzero was my best fit...I put a T1100 on it and I've never had a single shot that wasn't less than 300yds and more than 5yds off of dead center of the fareway....

Now if only I could putt haha

Wow!

Where else but WRX??

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

These results don't correlate with what I see on the course. At my local club in Sydney Australia the overwhelmingly most popular driver is the 2017 M2, followed by the 2017 M1. Across all handicap ranges all I see is 2017 TM drivers. I know this thread is about 2018, but at my club there aren't many 2018 models. But even from the few new drivers I see out there the M3/4 would outnumber the rest put together. From the last couple years I have hardly seen an epic or 917 driver in play. A few Pings but mostly M1/2s.

For transparency I don't play TM and not a fanboy, I have hit them a couple times and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Just saying what I see in other guys bags.

These results don't correlate with what I see on the course. At my local club in Sydney Australia the overwhelmingly most popular driver is the 2017 M2, followed by the 2017 M1. Across all handicap ranges all I see is 2017 TM drivers. I know this thread is about 2018, but at my club there aren't many 2018 models. But even from the few new drivers I see out there the M3/4 would outnumber the rest put together. From the last couple years I have hardly seen an epic or 917 driver in play. A few Pings but mostly M1/2s.

For transparency I don't play TM and not a fanboy, I have hit them a couple times and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Just saying what I see in other guys bags.

It's a different game over here. Access to things not named TaylorMade is just less down here. TaylorMade gets into all the sports shops, Callaway gets into the big-box sports stores, and everyone fights for the rest. Pings are sold at exactly two stores here in a city of a half-million; one specialty boutique that has a small version fitting cart and one course that has a few demos and the ability to order. Also outside TaylorMade, many of the competitors can't compete on price. I know that list for my G400LST with a TiNi was $980NZ, which is $700US (Post "sales tax" here of 15%). It's not a whole lot more, and often is at parity when you get a good deal, but the ability to try things is just not the same as the US. It's not even close. Australia has some nice options in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane, but TM has that de facto power.

I'd also wager strongly those M1s are not custom. Custom clubs are fairly unheard of here... and it's a shame.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Ping G400 Max! Had the Ping G30 LST and I thought that was long, the Max is 10 yards longer on average and a true fairway finder. I went through the fitting process with an open mind, tried most brands and ended up with the Max. While the launch monitor data didn’t wow me, the on course performance is nothing less than astounding. My confidence has grown and my scores have come down. I opted for the Tensei Pro White shaft 70tx and combined with the Max head is a winner for my swing. My swing speed is around 120, set at 8.6°, 45” shaft. Bombs away!

I need some range time with the Rogue SZ but I can tell from the sound, feel and pop off the club face that this is a beast. I just need some quality time with it to dial it in. Had a couple of weak mishits yesterday that ended up where good drives with previous sticks went. The power I feel on center strikes is excellent, just need to reel in the direction.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

2017 M2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

My personal favorite is the M3. It reminds me of a composit bat, turned golf club. I’m not a big fan of the “loud metallic” drivers. I can easily shape shots with it and hit it half a mile.

Second is the ping 400, I was consistently very straight with it. It was harder to shape shots, but easy to keep straight.

Last I have the epic. This thing is just made to bomb the ball. It was the longest driver I’ve played all year

this should probably be

What's the best driver of 2017.... given there's more drivers coming out this year...

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

It's a different game over here. Access to things not named TaylorMade is just less down here. TaylorMade gets into all the sports shops, Callaway gets into the big-box sports stores, and everyone fights for the rest. Pings are sold at exactly two stores here in a city of a half-million; one specialty boutique that has a small version fitting cart and one course that has a few demos and the ability to order. Also outside TaylorMade, many of the competitors can't compete on price. I know that list for my G400LST with a TiNi was $980NZ, which is $700US (Post "sales tax" here of 15%). It's not a whole lot more, and often is at parity when you get a good deal, but the ability to try things is just not the same as the US. It's not even close. Australia has some nice options in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane, but TM has that de facto power.

I'd also wager strongly those M1s are not custom. Custom clubs are fairly unheard of here... and it's a shame.

The TMs I see are definitely not custom. All stock offerings, and likely most are off the shelf and not even fitted.

A real good ball striker at my club said the M2 he got was longer than his old Ping when he really gets into it, but not as consistent distance or accuracy wise.

I've been gaming the Rogue SZ with T1100 65g 6.5 flex. Really really like it

Got curious so I got a G400 Max which will have a T1100 75g 6.5 flex.

Going head to head on my GC2 this week for numbers and I'm going to play the 400 regardless to see how it compares on the course.

Testing done for the time being. I'm sticking with my G400 max and going to sell my Rogue SZ w/ T1100.

Rogue definitely longer on well struck balls. Much flatter flight with less spin.

G400 max was just so much more consistent for me. I could aim down the left side and a know a little cut was coming. With the Rogue I would occasionally find that snap hook and that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

I've read somewhere that the milled face on the new Cobra chews up balls. Can anyone comment?

... I have an F8 and an F8+ I use primarily and I have never seen a ball even marred, let alone chewed up by the face. That includes TP5x, Chrome Tour, Chrome Soft X, CUT, KSig 3 and 4 piece.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I picked up a G400 LST. I am coming from an M3 at labeled in sig. I had an Epic Sub Zero before that.

Let me tell ya. If you're not using a rendition of the G400, then I don't know what to say. This driver is stupid long, forgiving, good feeling and it just works. It's almost eerie with every swing going where you think it will and how you want to shape it. Great great great driver. I just need to get the right shaft with mine.

Anyone care to recommend some?

Dude so true on the 400s! My first real ping I love. What's worse is I've had all the drivers of the last 2 years except the Cobra so i know what I'm talking about. The only thing is the ping may not be the absolute longest but it gets a 9/10 there and perhaps a lower mark in looks for some. Direction/dispersion, flight, forgiveness, PREDICTABILITY, all equating to confidence is why this is the driver of the year...and probably the best I've ever hit all things considered. Now if I was looking for raw dog distance and I didn't want to favor control as much there are a few others who may contend. Clubs are great now, which is why this is even more surprising