Mid-Handicappers: What Ball Do You Play?

Comments

• ob18ob18 Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭
    Matt023 wrote:

So far this year I've played (all last years) model.

Callaway chrome soft and chrome soft

Taylormade project a

Wilson duo spin, optix

Snell MTB

Cut blue

Srixon zstar, q tour

The winner winner chicken dinner for me was the chromesoft + not sure why but with a 95-100 driver swing speed this ball went deep and straight..runner up was the project a

I am still looking to settle.............today we have brutal wind and it wasn't good being a high ball hitter.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]10* Callaway XR Driver
    15* Nickent 3 Wood
    18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
    Callaway Roque - 5 iron to A wedge
    54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges

Odyssey O-Works Red #7 Tank Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour[/font]
  • kidrobotkidrobot Hackerman Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Q-Star Tour, and Wilson 50 Elite in the winter. Just wish the QST came in yellow and it would be the perfect ball for me.
  • Pi5seekerPi5seeker Members Posts: 870 ✭✭
    Whatever urethane ball I can get for under $25 per dozen. Right now I'm playing the Tour Preferred but spin it a ton with driver.
    Cobra F8 10.5* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
    Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
    Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
    Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* Spinner
    Odyssey Works Versa 1W
    Z-Star
    Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry
  • taouilmtaouilm Members Posts: 15
    NXT Tour S are really good. Recently tried the Bridgestone e6 and like that also
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 259 ✭✭
  • RoySchRoySch Members Posts: 8
    EZCUSE wrote:

I love trying out new balls.

With that said, I try to keep a dozen under $30 USD.

Right now I play the Project (a) and I like them. They are a great price point at $27 USD on Amazon.

I am unwilling to step to a tour ball (Pro V1, Chomesoft) because I lose about 2-3 balls a round and it's just throwing my money down the drain.

I've played NXT Tour S, Q Star Tour, Snell MTB.

I like a softer ball but can't be too soft due to my swing speed. I would choose accuracy/feel over distance any day.

Any recommendation of balls I should try out?
    I'm hot on the Bridgestone XS....great distance for 100 mph swinger..

I love the NXT...
  • RoySchRoySch Members Posts: 8
    taouilm wrote:

NXT Tour S are really good. Recently tried the Bridgestone e6 and like that also
    I love the NXT..it was my ball until right now..i switched to the Bridgestone XS...great distance off the tee..they do hold the green..but feel a little "rocky" on iron shots..
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,416 ✭✭
    I wish I understood the differences and found the right ball, but with my collection maybe 5 years 'til that time comes.

Right now I have in play (bag).....

Kirkland ksig 4-piece (go to since the new in thing)

ProV's (x too)

TM Tour Pro

Chrome Softs

TP5's

Project A's

Everytime I empty my bag I still seem to have 24+ balls when I sift through all my pockets.
  • propmanpropman Members Posts: 1,751 ✭✭
    Put in my volume order (144 balls - split with buddy) of Callaway supersoft and Srixon QST 5A balls for $92. Took advantage of 20% ebay discount last night.
    15 hcp
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    Something about a Srixon Q-Star works very well for me. I love Chrome Softs but they are simply beyond my budget.

I haven't had much use with them, but when I find a Project A or TP5 on the course I tend to game them very well.

I'm past the point where I used to need a low spin ball to keep my ball on a predictable pattern and am looking to find

a little more greenside stopping power and as of yet, the Q Star seems to be a nice little in between ball.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,275 ✭✭
    kidrobot wrote:

Q-Star Tour, and Wilson 50 Elite in the winter. Just wish the QST came in yellow and it would be the perfect ball for me.

Project A comes in yellow and a similar ball?
  • heatedwireheatedwire Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    I play Z-Star XV (around 7-8hcp at the moment).

Big fan of telling people the ball will make minimal difference in reality.....however.......there's something about this ball I just really like off the putter face.

Could be just a confidence thing - who knows. I don't really care either. You can get them for a good price, they perform great, have a yellow version (foggy where I live sometimes), so why the **** not.
  • dnalepocadnalepoca Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    I play Cut Blue’s. $20/dozen can’t be beat. And even cheaper if you buy bulk
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra King baffler F6 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 20.5*
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 23*
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T-11 52*
    Wilson Staff PMP Tour 56*
    PING Glide 2.0 TS 60*
    Taylormade TP Juno Copper
    Bridgestone Tour B XS, Srixon Z-Star XV
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,732 ✭✭
    pappaf2 wrote:

theedge27 wrote:

On Thursdays, last year's Chrome soft can be had for $28 on Dicks website. A few others in your price point I would look into are:

Wilson FG Tour ($30 budgetgolf), MG C4 ($20, plays almost identical to ProV), and the Maxfli Ufli series.

Vice is the best deal on balls if you don't mind buying 5dz at a time. $25 a dozen if you buy 5.

Yup 2017 Chromesofts on Dicks for $29. I've been playing the Chromesoft X recently and really like it.

You might be interested in CUT balls at $20 a dozen [url="https://www.cutgolfco.com/shop/"]https://www.cutgolfco.com/shop/[/url]

Kirkland Balls if you are a member

I've been using Z Star XV cause they are stocked at my course and I win them in the ball comp, but the chrome soft X is my favourite ball if I have to pay for them. That's great value for a ball of that quality.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,503 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #106
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Taylormade M2 44 inches.
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #107

My son bought the gamer softs in blue and I can never follow/find the ball. I don't know why anyone would make a blue ball. I used to think yellow was the best colored choice. But, the green ones look appealing.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,503 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

My son bought the gamer softs in blue and I can never follow/find the ball. I don't know why anyone would make a blue ball. I used to think yellow was the best colored choice. But, the green ones look appealing.

It’s a weird color for sure. See it in the air and as it’s coming to the ground , it disappears from vision. Get about 20 yards from where it landed then it is easy to see , even in the rough.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Taylormade M2 44 inches.
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Would it be fair to say it is a waste of money to use a tour level ball when you can not spin the ball on the green? I dont see many golfers stopping the ball on the green on public courses. Is it beneficial for them to use a pro level golf ball?
    Mikey5e wrote:

Would it be fair to say it is a waste of money to use a tour level ball when you can not spin the ball on the green? I dont see many golfers stopping the ball on the green on public courses. Is it beneficial for them to use a pro level golf ball?

I am not a great chipper. But, can easily spin/stop the project a
  • MysticfalconMysticfalcon Members Posts: 80
    I play the chrome soft Truvis. I find the soccer balls help my putting and chipping practice a lot.
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭
    I play the chrome soft Truvis. I find the soccer balls help my putting and chipping practice a lot.
    I bought a sleeve 2 years ago just to practice with. Turned out to be the ball i shot my career best with.

I played with a guy last week who had a bad case of the yips , 3-putted at least 7 greens maybe more and I mentioned trying them to practice.

He wanted no part of that . Lol. Guess he wants to suffer even longer.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

Mikey5e wrote:

I am not a great chipper. But, can easily spin/stop the project a
    I would say that you have found the right ball.
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,781 ✭✭
    Mikey5e wrote:

I'll put it a different way. I consider myself to have a pretty good short game and can't reliably control a 2 piece surlyn covered ball around the greens. In other words, one should at least give a 'tour ball' a shot to see if it helps them around the greens vs assuming they can't spin it.
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
    Odyssey White Hot #1
  • chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭
    While I cannot zip a tour ball back on a string, I do see that the tour ball will hop and stop with much less roll out than a budget or mid-range ball.
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Srixon Z Star... Best ball I have found.

I work at a golf course and have tried many balls and if you can get them 25$/doz on ebay you wouldn't find a better ball
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
  • chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭
    Or just get them at $20 per dozen anywhere right now.
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,292 ✭✭
    byflow2 wrote:

I work at a golf course and have tried many balls and if you can get them 25$/doz on ebay you wouldn't find a better ball

chippa13 wrote:

^^^^^ This.

Anyone that thinks they can't spin a ball or don't deserve to play a 3 or 4 piece ball should consider these deals right now for the Z-Star's and Q-Star Tour's cause they can't be much more than the 2 piece are selling for!
    lil wrote:

byflow2 wrote:

chippa13 wrote:

^^^^^ This.

Anyone that thinks they can't spin a ball or don't deserve to play a 3 or 4 piece ball should consider these deals right now for the Z-Star's and Q-Star Tour's cause they can't be much more than the 2 piece are selling for!

A z star for 20? Truly the best deal ever. Gamesoft at 7.50 is close :-) Unfortunately, I loaded up on a bunch of different balls this year.
  • chal0072chal0072 Members Posts: 354 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #120
    Srixon Marathon I got from ebay. So cheap and soft. I think I paid 31.50 for 45 balls free shipping. I don't lose so many balls these days, but comes fall season in MN you lost ball even hitting middle of the fairway.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9
    Callaway Apex 4h
    Fourteen TC788 5-PW 
    Fourteen TF Wedge 51, 57
    Taylormade Spider Black putter

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,307 ✭✭
    tested out the TP5 today vs the Lethal vs the Velocity

Distance winner - velocity

feel - tp5

control - tp5

lethal was a very close 2nd to the TP5 in all categories. theTP5 just felt great all around course...