My C.C. always having events , course closed.

I'm torn between joining the private course in town . That is super nice , not open to the public , no tee times required .. at double the cost . I do like playing other courses. Between what I pay for my current club and my once a week foursome at another course I would basically be paying the same amount of money but limited to one course . Albeit a really, really nice track. Decisions...

Boy, seems like a no brainer decision to me.

Is this a private club?

it's supposed to be "semi private " but has essentially become a public course with 250 members .

My course is private but we have outside outings on Mondays 2-3x a month. Mondays only and they go out in the morning. Now Mondays are our slowest days anyway - the grill/kitchen is closed even to members so the outings dont use the clubhouse/bar - but bringing in outside events Monday AMs brings in additional revenue we wouldn't otherwise have. Course usually opens up to members @ 1pm and the range/practice areas are always open.

From looking around in the area this kind of thing is not unusual.

what course?? if you don't mind me asking

Allendale

I just got rid of my membership at a local course partially for the same reason. I play mostly weekend golf, and from March till August, there are tournaments almost every weekend. It is also a "semi private" course, which is nothing more than a public course with memberships for discounted tee times in my mind. It was $100/month and $19/round with the membership, and $65/round weekend rates without one. Unlimited range balls included in the membership, and they have a great practice facility. When I was playing a lot it was worth it, but now that I'm playing 3-4 rounds a month, and 2-3 of those had to be played elsewhere because of tournaments, I was essentially paying $70-120 per round when you do the math, plus paying green fees at other courses just so I could play when mine was closed.

If there's a private course you can join for a good rate, I say go for it. The closest private club for me is a 30 minutes drive IF I don't catch traffic, and dues are over $400/month. I would never get my money's worth out of it, so I'm back to joe public golf. Such is life.

$400 per month is not bad for carefree 4 hour rounds...if range balls are included it's a steal IMO.

If I played seasonal golf...I'd definitely join a private club...I know...there's initiation and dues to pay. But the season goes by in the blink of an eye, not to mention rain days.

My advice is this to assess private vs. public memberships:

- Do the dues include range balls? If so, tally up the current cost of paying for range balls, and then add-in the fact that when paying for range balls, nobody wants to hit 100 30 to 60 yard practice shots....feels like a waste of money...right? So included range balls allow you to practice short shots and NOT feel like you're wasting money.

- F&B minimum. Let's say it's $100 per month. Add-up what you now spend on F&B. Then include what you spend on a night out with the wife vs. maybe taking her to the club instead. You might find it evens out.

- Consider the convenience. NO 6 hour rounds...instead...tee off when you want...no concern to be the "rabbit" to avoid word not alloweds.

- If the club has social and/or tennis and swimming, the wife can hang out and have fun.

Point is you're going to spend money on golf anyway, and range balls, and food, so why not spend it on a nice environment? Plus, sometimes folks sell memberships on Craigslist at a discount. Some clubs may run credit to make sure you can pay the bills...but who cares?

I just got rid of my membership at a local course partially for the same reason. I play mostly weekend golf, and from March till August, there are tournaments almost every weekend. It is also a "semi private" course, which is nothing more than a public course with memberships for discounted tee times in my mind. It was $100/month and $19/round with the membership, and $65/round weekend rates without one. Unlimited range balls included in the membership, and they have a great practice facility. When I was playing a lot it was worth it, but now that I'm playing 3-4 rounds a month, and 2-3 of those had to be played elsewhere because of tournaments, I was essentially paying $70-120 per round when you do the math, plus paying green fees at other courses just so I could play when mine was closed.

If there's a private course you can join for a good rate, I say go for it. The closest private club for me is a 30 minutes drive IF I don't catch traffic, and dues are over $400/month. I would never get my money's worth out of it, so I'm back to joe public golf. Such is life.

$400 per month is not bad for carefree 4 hour rounds...if range balls are included it's a steal IMO.

Unless I’m playing 7-8 rounds MINIMUM, I’m not paying $400/month. And that $400 doesn’t include a cart fee, so tack on another $15 or so every round.

Unless I'm playing 7-8 rounds MINIMUM, I'm not paying $400/month. And that $400 doesn't include a cart fee, so tack on another $15 or so every round.

The question is what do you pay now? Green fees + range balls + cart + food?

i know of very few semi-private facilities where it actually makes sense to be a member. one is actually near boston and has 27 holes, and 1 of those 9s each day is open only to club members. this keeps conditions & PoP good, and they rotate which 9 that is all the time. beyond that, its hard to see the value in joining a semi-private unless you're so regimented with your schedule that youre playing every sat/sun between 6:45 and 9 am and all the other tee slots in that time are member only as well in order to keep pace of play reasonable.

on the fully private scale, i think it's okay (and more clubs should do this for any # of reasons) to allow limited premium priced outside play through boxgroove type services during non-peak hours. non peak hours being tues-thur during week and weekend afternoons. no need to flood the place with groups from these services, but if utilized properly over the course of the season, you can bring in the equivalent of a handful of full paying member dues. if your club brings in 4 outside foursomes a week across those 5 days at $150 a guy for 26 weeks, that's over 60k in guest greens fees the club wasn't receiving. that's 60k a club can put into capital projects, improve its services or use to cover a pending assessment.

My old club where I grew up in NY would do that. And in the summer, they had a league night every night Monday-Friday.

I just joined a club after taking a few years off from being a member. I wanted to make sure it was a private, equity club. Golf courses are hurting financially and anybody that thinks differently is just fooling themselves. And when clubs are hurting, they'll do anything to make money..even at the members' expense.

What scares me the most is the story of the club in Vegas that recently shut down despite being quite profitable. The reason for shutting it down was the land was more profitable for something else. That puts more pressure on non-equity clubs to make more money.

Anyway...I feel for ya. It really sucks.

RH

I've learned you cant try and justify cost of private club. Its a luxury. If you are looking to justify by price per round and have to play a certain number of days its not gonna happen. If you accept the fact that you are going to pay a little extra to be part of a club and have the extra amenities assuming they have what you want then thats the way to go. I admit Ive turned into a golf snob. I like the fact of going to course and knowing the workers and other players and that there will (should) be a certain level of respect and ettiqute that you don't get at other places. Sure there will be ladies day, seniors day and the occasional outside tournament but not like the schedule you posted. Its like having a car payment, it sucks making the payment but when you are driving around in a new sweet ride you really appreciate it.

I've learned you cant try and justify cost of private club. Its a luxury. If you are looking to justify by price per round and have to play a certain number of days its not gonna happen. If you accept the fact that you are going to pay a little extra to be part of a club and have the extra amenities assuming they have what you want then thats the way to go. I admit Ive turned into a golf snob. I like the fact of going to course and knowing the workers and other players and that there will (should) be a certain level of respect and ettiqute that you don't get at other places. Sure there will be ladies day, seniors day and the occasional outside tournament but not like the schedule you posted. Its like having a car payment, it sucks making the payment but when you are driving around in a new sweet ride you really appreciate it.

This, you don't pay dues at a premiere private club to allow them to sell outside rounds. It is supposed to be exclusive and that's why you pay the dues you pay and hopefully utilize the other amenities of the club. Outside players should be member's guests or reciprocal members from other clubs, often waiving the guest fees for a member's guest for a few rounds per year.

@GWfool - you're certainly correct in that premiere private clubs have no need for this as the premiere ones are never strapped for cash. But what about the ones that always looking for new members, are assessing the existing members one out of every three years, or really needs a capital injection to redo the bunkers or greens, or get new maintenance equipment for the greenskeeper and staff?

i know of very few semi-private facilities where it actually makes sense to be a member. one is actually near boston and has 27 holes, and 1 of those 9s each day is open only to club members. this keeps conditions & PoP good, and they rotate which 9 that is all the time. beyond that, its hard to see the value in joining a semi-private unless you're so regimented with your schedule that youre playing every sat/sun between 6:45 and 9 am and all the other tee slots in that time are member only as well in order to keep pace of play reasonable.

on the fully private scale, i think it's okay (and more clubs should do this for any # of reasons) to allow limited premium priced outside play through boxgroove type services during non-peak hours. non peak hours being tues-thur during week and weekend afternoons. no need to flood the place with groups from these services, but if utilized properly over the course of the season, you can bring in the equivalent of a handful of full paying member dues. if your club brings in 4 outside foursomes a week across those 5 days at $150 a guy for 26 weeks, that's over 60k in guest greens fees the club wasn't receiving. that's 60k a club can put into capital projects, improve its services or use to cover a pending assessment.

I've wondered why clubs don't offer this type of arrangement as well. Something like offering 20 limited golf memberships, i.e. 10 rounds a season for $2,000. Black out Saturday and Sunday mornings if needed. That'd be $40,000 to the club and have all of these memberships fully paid up front so no billing issues.

The player has ten rounds at a nice club to look forward to and I suspect four or five guys might end up joining as a result.

I would give something like this some real thought if a club near me offered this type of program.

i think there are private clubs that are not member equity owned who do offer memberships similar to what you're suggesting above. i don't know the cost compared to a regular membership, but i know one such club an hour from NYC has a sports membership where you're limited to 14 rounds a year, at any time. that, and being ineligible for club tournaments, are the only things that differentiate it from a regular membership. i'd be curious to learn what the cost ratio diff is between the 14 round membership and the unlimited membership are.

Unless I'm playing 7-8 rounds MINIMUM, I'm not paying $400/month. And that $400 doesn't include a cart fee, so tack on another $15 or so every round.

It would only be green fee and range to factor in, because cart and food are additional at the country club as well.

I pay anywhere from $40-$60/round (cart included) plus $5-$10 for a bucket of balls.

Factoring in balls, it would be 6 rounds at one course and 8 at the other to spend the $400/month I would spend on golf/range at the CC. But that doesnt include a cart at the CC, so you can basically add another round if we're breaking it down to a per round cost, so 7-9 rounds at the two courses to equal the cost of the $400/month plus cart fee at the CC. And that doesnt include the $5000 (last I checked, but it's been a few years) or so I would need to come up with up front for initiation, and the food/bev minimum per month. I dont eat much food at the course now (did when I was a member at a private club before, which unfortunately closed down years ago), and I dont drink much beer these days. One of the courses I play doesnt sell liquor, only beer, and the other has a full bar. I usually drink 2-3 drinks at the course per round, so $15 or so at one and I drink water at the other for free.

I just dont have the time or desire to play that many rounds per month anymore, so it's not cost effective. Plus, it would more than triple my drive time each way from the 2 courses I usually play, so gas cost and the additional time gone from home needs to be factored in as well.

I can agree with that sentiment, but for me personally, most big expenditures come down to value. If it is something I need (a vehicle, a house), I will find the one I want and pay for those additional luxuries I want, but dont need. I dont need an expensive 4 door truck, but since I needed a truck, I found one with the upgrades and options I like and I'm willing to fork over the extra money for soon those luxuries. Something like golf at a private club, it is a luxury I'm just not willing to pay for. Golf is golf, no matter where you play. I'm fortunate in that I happen to have public courses near me that conditions rival most of the nice private courses, so it really is about the value of the dollar for me.

It would only be green fee and range to factor in, because cart and food are additional at the country club as well.

I pay anywhere from $40-$60/round (cart included) plus $5-$10 for a bucket of balls.

Factoring in balls, it would be 6 rounds at one course and 8 at the other to spend the $400/month I would spend on golf/range at the CC. But that doesnt include a cart at the CC, so you can basically add another round if we're breaking it down to a per round cost, so 7-9 rounds at the two courses to equal the cost of the $400/month plus cart fee at the CC. And that doesnt include the $5000 (last I checked, but it's been a few years) or so I would need to come up with up front for initiation, and the food/bev minimum per month. I dont eat much food at the course now (did when I was a member at a private club before, which unfortunately closed down years ago), and I dont drink much beer these days. One of the courses I play doesnt sell liquor, only beer, and the other has a full bar. I usually drink 2-3 drinks at the course per round, so $15 or so at one and I drink water at the other for free.

I just dont have the time or desire to play that many rounds per month anymore, so it's not cost effective. Plus, it would more than triple my drive time each way from the 2 courses I usually play, so gas cost and the additional time gone from home needs to be factored in as well.

Keep in mind many private CC's allow walking...so the cart may not be needed, but even then, your comparative costs are not far off from a private club. And keep in mind 3.5 to 4.0 hour rounds...open course in the afternoon...play 6 holes and bail out after some range practice...and the ability to hit 250 range ball SW's without feeling like you're wasting money...practice the short shots folks normally avoid when hitting a bucket of balls. As for food, most clubs have a $100 min per month. If the club is nice, taking the family to eat once a month (which folks might do anyway) eliminates the minimum.

This is weird to me. I was working for a very public course but more on the high end. The course averaged 65-70k rounds a year over the last 4 years. This is a course that kinda lives off hosting events, think 7-9 shotguns a week with most tee boxes double stacked.

Only once in the last 2 years there did they have a tournament on the weekend. Just makes no sense. Heck our LPGA qualifying tourney (not a Monday qualifier but an event for ams to get in) had the practice round on Sunday and played Mon & Tue.

Keep in mind many private CC's allow walking...so the cart may not be needed, but even then, your comparative costs are not far off from a private club. And keep in mind 3.5 to 4.0 hour rounds...open course in the afternoon...play 6 holes and bail out after some range practice...and the ability to hit 250 range ball SW's without feeling like you're wasting money...practice the short shots folks normally avoid when hitting a bucket of balls. As for food, most clubs have a $100 min per month. If the club is nice, taking the family to eat once a month (which folks might do anyway) eliminates the minimum.

I get all that. I don't walk much anymore (2 back surgeries and it is regularly hovering around 100 degrees with ungodly humidity here on the gulf coast). Most of my rounds are sub 4 hour rounds, even on public tracks, and I dont play much in the afternoon. These days, I might drop in the course for an afternoon round once every 4-5 months. I'd rather get to the house and spend my afternoon with my wife. If I'm taking the time to go to the course, warm up and play, I'm playing 18 holes. I couldnt hit 250 golf balls in one session, I wouldnt be able to stand (again, 2 back surgeries).

Like I originally said, if it was closer and I planned to play with regularity again, it would make sense. I used to play anywhere from 5-8 rounds per week, and spent several hours per week on the range. I was playing on an amateur tour, and carrying a low 2.x index. I have no desire to play that much golf anymore, so it just doesnt make sense for me. For a lot of folks, it does. If things change for me one day, it might make sense then, but I would never join a club that was a 30+ minute drive, and as of right now, that is my only option if I want to join one.

OP - sorry to hijack your thread.

Keep in mind many private CC's allow walking...

I think this was the subject of another thread, but many clubs are now charging a "trail fee" to walk. One club I am familiar with charges $15 for you to walk and carry your clubs before 2pm, a cart is $30. So many of the walkers just started playing after 2pm.

I think this was the subject of another thread, but many clubs are now charging a "trail fee" to walk. One club I am familiar with charges $15 for you to walk and carry your clubs before 2pm, a cart is $30. So many of the walkers just started playing after 2pm.

wait a club you know is CHARGING someone to carry their own bag? this is a private club i presume? so basically you pay for unlimited golfing privileges, fairly presume you have to sign for cart fees, but are then told you have to pay to perform manual labor? where is this club? that's the most absurd thing i've ever heard, far worse than any trail fee debate. i could understand if they wanted to charge you $15 for a pull cart and $30 for a cart, but charging someone $ at any point in time to carry their own bag is nuts.

wait a club you know is CHARGING someone to carry their own bag? this is a private club i presume? so basically you pay for unlimited golfing privileges, fairly presume you have to sign for cart fees, but are then told you have to pay to perform manual labor? where is this club? that's the most absurd thing i've ever heard, far worse than any trail fee debate. i could understand if they wanted to charge you $15 for a pull cart and $30 for a cart, but charging someone $ at any point in time to carry their own bag is nuts.

Apparently more common than you think: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605504-private-club-walkingtrail-fee/ I was pretty surprised at how common it was as well when this thread came up a few weeks ago even though I had seen it before.

Around here, the public/semi-private clubs I have been a member at have low monthly fees ($70-100) but you pay a “cart fee” ($15-$19 respectively) any time you play, regardless if you walk or not.

The private club I used to be a member at did not charge you anything to walk, and I agree with you in that there’s shouldn’t be a fee for walking. Especially if you were already a member and they suddenly changed that. If you are a new member and it was in the paperwork when you joined, shame on you.

I get all that. I don't walk much anymore (2 back surgeries and it is regularly hovering around 100 degrees with ungodly humidity here on the gulf coast). Most of my rounds are sub 4 hour rounds, even on public tracks, and I dont play much in the afternoon. These days, I might drop in the course for an afternoon round once every 4-5 months. I'd rather get to the house and spend my afternoon with my wife. If I'm taking the time to go to the course, warm up and play, I'm playing 18 holes. I couldnt hit 250 golf balls in one session, I wouldnt be able to stand (again, 2 back surgeries).

Like I originally said, if it was closer and I planned to play with regularity again, it would make sense. I used to play anywhere from 5-8 rounds per week, and spent several hours per week on the range. I was playing on an amateur tour, and carrying a low 2.x index. I have no desire to play that much golf anymore, so it just doesnt make sense for me. For a lot of folks, it does. If things change for me one day, it might make sense then, but I would never join a club that was a 30+ minute drive, and as of right now, that is my only option if I want to join one.

I get your situation....my post was more for folks in general. I couldn't walk and carry my bag if i tried...besides it's bad on the back. I'd get one of those powered thingamajigs if I walked. Also, if you don't play and / or practice much, certainly a private CC is not a good investment.

They obviously don't want people walking...but $30 for a cart is disgusting. Should be more like $18-20 max.

OT....Does BigRed90GT stand for a 1990 Mustang GT? I had a 1991 red GT.

It does indeed. My first mustang that I got in 2001 or so was a 90 GT. I loved that car. I've had 3 others since (01, 04 and 15). The 15 was the fastest and most refined, the exhaust note on the 04 sounded the best, but the 90 just holds a special place in my heart.

It does indeed. My first mustang that I got in 2001 or so was a 90 GT. I loved that car. I've had 3 others since (01, 04 and 15). The 15 was the fastest and most refined, the exhaust note on the 04 sounded the best, but the 90 just holds a special place in my heart.

the 1991 I had was red with a silver interior....with that fat spoiler....smoothest V8 in that era...and so much fun to drive.