How Do You "Beat The Heat"

I stay in Scotland, that tends to do the trick.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Born and raised in the South here. Central Arkansas where we can easily hit 110 heat index. I haven’t found any trick to get you by... you have to be hydrated and you have to keep a positive attitude concerning the sweltering heat. It’s almost like you have to love the heat, or at least convince yourself that you do.

I honestly enjoy the heat, but cold weather (for me, daily high below 50) is absolutely miserable. I know that’s absurd to a lot of you. I live in the South for a reason...

Born and raised in the South here. Central Arkansas where we can easily hit 110 heat index. I haven’t found any trick to get you by... you have to be hydrated and you have to keep a positive attitude concerning the sweltering heat. It’s almost like you have to love the heat, or at least convince yourself that you do.

I honestly enjoy the heat, but cold weather (for me, daily high below 50) is absolutely miserable. I know that’s absurd to a lot of you. I live in the South for a reason...

A guy at my club was wearing slacks, a black golf shirt and a black cap the other day when it was upper 80’s. We kind of poked fun at that and he said, “I didn’t move south from Massachusetts 40 years ago because I wanted to stay cool”.

I grew up playing baseball in Houston and elsewhere around south texas all summer, so plenty of experience with triple digits and 100% humidity. Lots of good suggestions here. The big ones are to start hydrating a day or two before you know you're going to go play in this weather, and keep it going through your round. One I haven't seen yet is mixing in salt with water or an energy drink - poor man's version of the pedialyte, as the salt helps replace what you lose sweating out.

Personally, I try and wear light colored clothing in the summer. Khaki/gray shorts, white/light shirts, some sort of hat. I also try and bring an extra towel with me so I can get it wet whenever there's a cooler on the course and put it around my neck or head when waiting around.

Also, as others have said, try and keep a good mindset about it. Telling yourself how hot and miserable it is will only make it worse - embrace it, as has been said before. Easier said than done, but don't let it get to you if you can help it.

I live in Vegas and this time of year temps well above 100 are a given so I've gotten used to it, but it can be dangerous if you aren't prepared and there is no shade out here.

1. Salt. I increase my salt intake significantly as I drink as much water as I can, I even add some pink sea salt to my water bottles.

2. I keep my hat wet, and if I feel like I'm getting too hot I soak the top of my shirt too.

3. I switch to a mostly ketogenic diet in the spring-summer but on course I will pack some melon or cantaloupe in addition to my regular calories. It's a low sugar fruit but it's light and gives me a quick clean energy source.

Now in college I had to play in humidity and I wasn't prepared for it. In the off season I got in better shape and as often as I could I would end my workouts by spending as much time as I could in the steam room. I'd do push ups and crunches etc. and at times I would be in there for almost an hour. The on course humidity didn't bother me much after that.

A couple years ago, I got a wild idea that I tried and now I do it several times a year when its really hot. I take a small cooler, fill it with ice and water and put two wash cloths in there. About every other hole, I take one of the wash cloths, wring it out and put it on top of my head under my hat. Then I just remember to switch the washcloths every hole or two. Works awesome!

I do the exact same thing and I have started wearing straw hats keeps the sun off and plenty of ventilation. As others have said I avoid alcohol and hydrate myself well. Even during the week I hydrate. I do drink my 2 cups of coffee in the morning every morning then after that only water even with my supper at home at night

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I live in Vegas and this time of year temps well above 100 are a given so I've gotten used to it, but it can be dangerous if you aren't prepared and there is no shade out here.

1. Salt. I increase my salt intake significantly as I drink as much water as I can, I even add some pink sea salt to my water bottles.

2. I keep my hat wet, and if I feel like I'm getting too hot I soak the top of my shirt too.

3. I switch to a mostly ketogenic diet in the spring-summer but on course I will pack some melon or cantaloupe in addition to my regular calories. It's a low sugar fruit but it's light and gives me a quick clean energy source.

Now in college I had to play in humidity and I wasn't prepared for it. In the off season I got in better shape and as often as I could I would end my workouts by spending as much time as I could in the steam room. I'd do push ups and crunches etc. and at times I would be in there for almost an hour. The on course humidity didn't bother me much after that.

Being from the South I eat a lot of cantaloupe and melons too in the summer

Run 8-10 miles a week in the heat after work, you'll get used to it.

Or move to FL.

All jokes aside, this isn't far from the truth. Yes drink tons of water before and during the round, Ice cold towels etc, but having lived in south Florida for 15 years getting acclimated to the heart is best and your body can do it. I was a mechanic and worked in a shop with no a.c.for 6 years. I got a good sweat going and after 6 months the heat didn't bother me much. I would play with guys after work in the summer who had been in a.c.all day and they would be dying in the afternoon heat, I wouldn't break a sweat, it was the coolest part of my day. embrace the heat play in it more, seek shade always, drink lots of water and you will get used to it.

I'm a North Carolina native. I beat the heat by moving to the Pac NW. 57 in Seattle right now.

OMG but don't you just miss the good BBQ even if it is either Lexington style or Eastern NC style?? LOL had to throw that at you :rolleyes:

I was destroyed today. Before the back nine I was BBQ. The best thing I did was freeze a quart of poweraide. By the time it defrosted I was really needing it.Tomorrow is suppose to be way cooler, I really hope so. Shot my sorry a.. bogey golf as usual.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Played 36 riding yesterday and it was 97* with about mid 70% humidity. Preparation is key and if you don’t prepare the day before, you’ll never make it. At least two gallons of water the day before. As soon as you wake up, no less than 30 ounces of water with electrolyte powder mixed in. I use propel fitness water packets. Try and get down at least 60 ounces in before tee off and no soda. If you’re drinking, switch to a one beer, one water rule. If allowed, I bring my own bag cooler filled with ice to dunk the towels and keep a gallon jug of water. Never rely on the course to have water because by hole 27, all the coolers on the course were empty. Light, healthy snacks regularly throughout the day.

Light colored polyester clothes only and light fabric style shoes and a breathable hat. Frog togg style towels for yourself and playing partner because they will surely not have one. Umbrella and battery operated fans for when your sitting. I bring two, one that’s clipped to the frame on the cart and a handheld one that mists. I felt great the whole day and I never let the heat beat me down. My playing partners on the other hand were struggling but I could’ve easily played another 18.

Umbrella on push cart, bucket hats (soak with cold water), sunscreen, stay in the shade, hydration, nutrition, and Fast Rounds. Post round recovery drinks so I can play multiple times a week during heat waves.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

Who the hell walks when it's 90 degrees out? I'm not walking when it's above 70 and I'm not going outside when it's above 90 if I can help it. I just sweat way too much and it's no fun.

You would literally be spending over 1/2 of the year indoors here. Some places, it's just not feesible.

Hydrate, wear light color clothes, and dont walk the round. If you do have to walk for the tournament, use a push cart with an umbrella for shade. I also suggest a full brim hat. I have an Under Armor fishing hat I bought that has a good size full brim and is typical UA performance materials. If it gets too bad, I run it under the water cooler to wet it then put it back on.

I'm the same way, but for me it doesnt have to be the high above 50. If it HITS 50, I'm miserable. I cant put on enough layers to warm up and still be able to swing a club with any form. Give me my southeast Texas gulf coast heat year round, I'll be a happy man.

I am slowing down on the golf for now. Unless i can get out and do a quick nine in the morning, forget it. 94-95*F weather all weekend. I really hope some cooler weather comes south, please, I am begging, no shame either.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I grew up in Palm Springs and played year round. I prefer the heat because all the Snow Birds are gone and we pretty much had the courses to ourselves. I've done all the things suggested and they actually make it possible to enjoy the game in the heat. That being said, on Jul 28, 1995 I got invited to play Tamarisk CC which was an impossible course to get on. (Frank Sinatra's home course.) We started at 9:00 or so and didn't make 9 holes before we quit. It was the highest temperature recored in PS that day at 123. Dead calm, no breeze and humid. It got to 126 down valley. Short of having an air conditioned enclosed cart I don't think anyone could play in that heat. It was like opening the oven door to peek at the cookies baking and getting hit in the face with the searing heat.

These days I don't walk when it gets 100, and typically over 90 and we walk the first 9 and ride the back.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I like to walk and carry my clubs even when it is 100 or there about. I wear light colored loose fitting shirts and a light colored hat. I try to stay in the shade as much as possible and drink as much water as i can when playing. Most of the time a Marshal will be stopping by groups periodically with cold water in a cooler.

Sunscreen and for me long pants ( never was a shorts kind of guy since I grew up in Buffalo,NY and lived there 50 years ).

I can relate to all the other suggestions . Use what you are comfortable with and be willing to try something different. You might find it beneficial.

My playing partners think I am nuts walking when they are in carts but I find the game more enjoyable and less rushed if I walk.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]