What low compression ball for the Drive, Chip, and Putt

My son competes in the local qualifier for the DCP next week and I've been contemplating what ball to use. I was hoping to get some recommendations for a low compression ball for the driving portion of DCP only. I plan to stick with the Wilson Duo's for chipping and putting but was considering getting a different ball for him for the driving portion. With his slow swing speed he is already at a disadvantage so 5 yards may be a big difference in points. I'm definitely not opposed to using the Duo, but simply wondering if others, with more experience, have any suggestions. Titleist Trusoft possibly? Callaway or Noodle?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son competes in the local qualifier for the DCP next week and I've been contemplating what ball to use. I was hoping to get some recommendations for a low compression ball for the driving portion of DCP only. I plan to stick with the Wilson Duo's for chipping and putting but was considering getting a different ball for him for the driving portion. With his slow swing speed he is already at a disadvantage so 5 yards may be a big difference in points. I'm definitely not opposed to using the Duo, but simply wondering if others, with more experience, have any suggestions. Titleist Trusoft possibly? Callaway or Noodle?

You don't get the balls back on the driving portion so use something you don't care about. I've gotten some Nike Distance balls from playing in various work events that my son has used in past DCP qualifiers.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

You don't get the balls back on the driving portion so use something you don't care about. I've gotten some Nike Distance balls from playing in various work events that my son has used in past DCP qualifiers.

I wouldn't worry about what balls they use for driving in DCP. In most age groups it is the putting and chipping that will win. In some cases kids are better off taking out a sand wedge then actually using a driver in driving competition when it comes to points. Also if you drive really long good sometimes the range they use has hills that may bounce their ball out of bounds or roll to one side.

The first year we did the event the kid who mishit her ball and went 5 feet all 3 times actually won the driving contest because everyone else went out of bounds because the range 100 yards out had a huge incline and the balls all rolled out.

DCP is some skill but mostly luck the day the of the event.

I wouldn't worry about what balls they use for driving in DCP. In most age groups it is the putting and chipping that will win. In some cases kids are better off taking out a sand wedge then actually using a driver in driving competition when it comes to points. Also if you drive really long good sometimes the range they use has hills that may bounce their ball out of bounds or roll to one side.

The first year we did the event the kid who mishit her ball and went 5 feet all 3 times actually won the driving contest because everyone else went out of bounds because the range 100 yards out had a huge incline and the balls all rolled out.

DCP is some skill but mostly luck the day the of the event.

I agree on the chipping and putting being the most important. My son has a friend his age who drives it 210-220 and made it the Regional Qualifier but he was rarely able to keep his drives in the scoring area according to his father. My son hits the ball fairly straight and consistent I'm just looking for any advantage I can give him. I'd feel like I'm not doing my part to help him if a simple thing like ball choice would make a difference.

I've never been to a DCP where they let you use your own ball for driving. As far as I know, you must use the balls they provide. Levels the field.

You can provide your own ball for the other skills.

I thought the same thing.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

the ball your using is probably the best ball for driving distance from our experience with a 7 year old girl.

On your own ball..... Its in the rules that you can use your own ball for driving. We used our own ball each time.

https://www.drivechipandputt.com/frequently-asked-questions

the ball your using is probably the best ball for driving distance from our experience with a 7 year old girl.

On your own ball..... Its in the rules that you can use your own ball for driving. We used our own ball each time.

https://www.drivechi...asked-questions

Did you get them back?

Maybe it's a local rule, but this is what I received in the email a few days before, from the local PGA chapter.

"Please be aware that during the driving portion of the event, all participants will be using the same type of golf ball that will be provided."

IIRC, they made a similar announcement before each group.

At your sons age, the driving portion of the DCP means nothing. It is totally different than nationals. As long as he puts it in play he will be fine.

LMAO!!! I was just waiting for HH to chime in!!!

The ball means very little in this competition. Skill and more so Luck is everything. Personally, my son uses the ball he normally plays for the putting and chipping (Chromesoft). For the driving he uses Pinnacles. Last year he made it all the way to Regionals doing this.

I almost fell over at last year when I saw kid making putts and chips with those US kids balls. :to_become_senile:

The info I received is that you can use your own balls for driving but you do not get them back. This is our first time doing DCP so it's all a learning experience for me. I'm just trying to provide the best opportunity for my son. If he can hit the ball consistently and gain 5-10yds each shot because I provided him with his best possible option then I say it's worth it whether he advances or not.

Points for driving:

• 1pt 25 yards or less
  • 2pt 25-50 yards
  • 3pt 50-75 yard
  • 4pt 75-100 yards
  • 5pt 100-110 yards
  • 6pt 110-120 yards
  • 7pts 120-130 yards
  • 8pts 130-140 yards
  • 9pts 140-150 yards
  • 10pts 150-160 yards
  • 11pts 160-170 yards
  • 12pts 170-180 yards
  • 13pts 180-190 yards

• 14pts 190-200 yards
  • 15pts 200-210 yards
  • 16pts 210-220 yards
  • 17pts 220-230 yards
  • 18pts 230-240 yards
  • 19pts 240-250 yards
  • 20pts 250-260 yards
  • 21pts 260-270 yards
  • 22pts 270-280 yards
  • 23pts 280-290 yards
  • 24pts 290-300 yards
  • 25pts 300+ yards

Maybe it's a local rule, but this is what I received in the email a few days before, from the local PGA chapter.

"Please be aware that during the driving portion of the event, all participants will be using the same type of golf ball that will be provided."

IIRC, they made a similar announcement before each group.

Thats odd. I would point them to this.

Did you get them back?

No but don't care either. The Wilson duo from last year sells for about $15 a dozen on amazon.

At your sons age, the driving portion of the DCP means nothing. It is totally different than nationals. As long as he puts it in play he will be fine.

The ball means very little in this competition. Skill and more so Luck is everything. Personally, my son uses the ball he normally plays for the putting and chipping (Chromesoft). For the driving he uses Pinnacles. Last year he made it all the way to Regionals doing this.

I almost fell over at last year when I saw kid making putts and chips with those US kids balls. :to_become_senile:

I disagree the ball means nothing. How a ball reacts when it hits the green can make a difference of finding the grid or not. Not knowing how much it will release or check especially with cheap range balls. Same for putting when thats all feel. Driving maybe it doesn't matter but its a comport thing to a point, but most modern balls are low spinning balls unlike range balls. I would say the ball does matter quite a bit.

I disagree the ball means nothing. How a ball reacts when it hits the green can make a difference of finding the grid or not. Not knowing how much it will release or check especially with cheap range balls. Same for putting when thats all feel. Driving maybe it doesn't matter but its a comport thing to a point, but most modern balls are low spinning balls unlike range balls. I would say the ball does matter quite a bit.

Sorry, I meant the balls means very little within reason. For instance, I'm not suggesting using a Pinnacle for the chipping. I would just use the ball that the kid is used to playing with and not go out to buy a more expensive ball for DPC.

The info I received is that you can use your own balls for driving but you do not get them back. This is our first time doing DCP so it's all a learning experience for me. I'm just trying to provide the best opportunity for my son. If he can hit the ball consistently and gain 5-10yds each shot because I provided him with his best possible option then I say it's worth it whether he advances or not.

Points for driving:

• 1pt 25 yards or less
  • 2pt 25-50 yards
  • 3pt 50-75 yard
  • 4pt 75-100 yards
  • 5pt 100-110 yards
  • 6pt 110-120 yards
  • 7pts 120-130 yards
  • 8pts 130-140 yards
  • 9pts 140-150 yards
  • 10pts 150-160 yards
  • 11pts 160-170 yards
  • 12pts 170-180 yards
  • 13pts 180-190 yards

• 14pts 190-200 yards
  • 15pts 200-210 yards
  • 16pts 210-220 yards
  • 17pts 220-230 yards
  • 18pts 230-240 yards
  • 19pts 240-250 yards
  • 20pts 250-260 yards
  • 21pts 260-270 yards
  • 22pts 270-280 yards
  • 23pts 280-290 yards
  • 24pts 290-300 yards
  • 25pts 300+ yards

Look at where your son will be driving the ball. At your sons age he could use irons. He would lose no more than 6 points if he puts them in play. There is not penalty. The only penalty at your sons age is not getting a drive on the grid.

In the older divisions the penalty is greater for not using a driver and the penalty is greater for not putting it on the grid.

The Driving portion of this competition is what drives me insane. Is it a long drive competition or an accuracy competition. It tries to be both and too me it does it unsuccessfully. I think they should give you 5 balls and take the best 3.

The ball absolutely matters with chipping, putting. Inches in those skills can rack up 5 more points with each ball. Easily the difference between each stage of competition.

As for the driving, I'm not as convinced. Certainly think that if your kid is more comfortable with a certain ball, seeing that ball on the tee can be a comforting thought. Anything you can control in those situations is an advantage.

From what I've seen, there are so many suboptimal conditions, it tends to neutralize those advantages. At our local recently, we teed off from the range. About 120 yards out there was something like a 15 foot hill falling away. Probably a 10 degree lateral grade in some locations. Clearly some hot spots and no-go zones on that range. My daughter hits around 150. The older girl in her group 190. Mine got 3 in, the other 2 in. My daughter ended up only 2 points down after drives.

Same thing at Sawgrass last year. From the tee box, in our age group, a well-hit drive would land in the area of 18 which funnels down to the water. I saw nearly every ball with a draw predictably collect right in that lake, even if it started 20 yards in bounds.

The ball absolutely matters with chipping, putting. Inches in those skills can rack up 5 more points with each ball. Easily the difference between each stage of competition.

As for the driving, I'm not as convinced. Certainly think that if your kid is more comfortable with a certain ball, seeing that ball on the tee can be a comforting thought. Anything you can control in those situations is an advantage.

From what I've seen, there are so many suboptimal conditions, it tends to neutralize those advantages. At our local recently, we teed off from the range. About 120 yards out there was something like a 15 foot hill falling away. Probably a 10 degree lateral grade in some locations. Clearly some hot spots and no-go zones on that range. My daughter hits around 150. The older girl in her group 190. Mine got 3 in, the other 2 in. My daughter ended up only 2 points down after drives.

Same thing at Sawgrass last year. From the tee box, in our age group, a well-hit drive would land in the area of 18 which funnels down to the water. I saw nearly every ball with a draw predictably collect right in that lake, even if it started 20 yards in bounds.

Our local DCP is the same way. Hill on one side and Bunker in the other about 215 out. It hits the hill and bounces left OB. It hits the sand and no roll out.