Putting your name on your bag?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're telling me its not weird for me to be using my high school team bag as a 24 year old?? My ping hoofer is a tank. It's even been run over by a cart and it's still going strong.

Hell no--- Dig this--- I am 61 years old and I am carrying a Ping Hoofer that from what I can tell is one of the original ones--- It is blue and white has a school logo "W" on the ball pocket and "Eagles" on the side. Do not have any idea what school it is if it is high school or college--- I got it at Good Will about a month ago for $9.95 and it is in pristine shape. Legs work great and all the zippers do too--- No one has asked me about the "Eagles" yet but then again most of the locals around here know me and know I have a bunch of bags and stuff and the tourons are either too drunk or stupid to notice. Hey it fits my needs and that is what counts

OP - I do not see anything wrong with one having their name or logo on any type of bag. Hey it is a free country and golf is an individual sport so do what makes you happy

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

ATTENTION GOLF DIGEST:

Articles like this, is the reason I stop my subscription 10 years ago!

Your more than welcome to tell me how to set up MY bag when YOU start paying for what is in it.

Very well said--- Sir you get my best Navy salute!!! Further more I guess they would flip out if they saw my bag yep what is in my signature for real

Publications like GD have been writing articles in support of growing the game for years AND then they turn around and write some BS piece, that is complete snobbery, by shaming non-elite golfers by telling them that getting your name stitched on your bag is some sort of unwritten golf etiquette faux pas or something... I played for a small NAIA university way back when and I still have my bags. At 36 I don’t see it any different than folks who have retail bags that proudly display their alma maters or favorite professional organizations/teams.

In a game where individual club fittings and customized equipment is advertised and encouraged I don’t see why personalizing bags, or other accessories for that matter, are a big deal.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

ATTENTION GOLF DIGEST:

Your more than welcome to tell me how to set up MY bag when YOU start paying for what is in it.

Very well said--- Sir you get my best Navy salute!!! Further more I guess they would flip out if they saw my bag yep what is in my signature for real

My best USAF salute right back at ya (I know, I know,,, we are not the most military branch of DOD!) ,,, would still use my old white vinyl PING Bag with my name on it had the ex not "lost" it during the divorce!!!

Publications like GD have been writing articles in support of growing the game for years AND then they turn around and write some BS piece, that is complete snobbery, by shaming non-elite golfers by telling them that getting your name stitched on your bag is some sort of unwritten golf etiquette faux pas or something... I played for a small NAIA university way back when and I still have my bags. At 36 I don't see it any different than folks who have retail bags that proudly display their alma maters or favorite professional organizations/teams.

In a game where individual club fittings and customized equipment is advertised and encouraged I don't see why personalizing bags, or other accessories for that matter, are a big deal.

Correct all the way around--- That last paragraph you wrote says it all--- The whole deal in a nutshell is called flip flopping or to really be strong hypocrisy. IMHO one having their name on their bag is no different than someone having say a Green Bay Packers or NY Giants themed bag. Hey whatever floats one's boat

ATTENTION GOLF DIGEST:

My best USAF salute right back at ya (I know, I know,,, we are not the most military branch of DOD!) ,,, would still use my old white vinyl PING Bag with my name on it had the ex not "lost" it during the divorce!!!

Well they may not be the most "correct" military branch of the DOD but dammed if they can't drop some nasty mess from high and far away places while not being seen :taunt:

I read the article and the whole thing came off as superficial clickbait. As to the question, I'd probably feel like a tool taking a staff bag with tour/pro-style name lettering on it, but I'd probably feel like a tool with any staff bag on course... but I used to have a staff bag holding my backups as display in my office, and that'd be a pretty sweet place to have one with the name lettering and my company logo (and maybe bust it out for work-related scrambles and the like).

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I read the article and the whole thing came off as superficial clickbait. As to the question, I'd probably feel like a tool taking a staff bag with tour/pro-style name lettering on it, but I'd probably feel like a tool with any staff bag on course... but I used to have a staff bag holding my backups as display in my office, and that'd be a pretty sweet place to have one with the name lettering and my company logo (and maybe bust it out for work-related scrambles and the like).

Lots of people do that very thing especially if they own the company--- Bust out the staff bag with the lettering for company related scrambles or business related golf--- IMHO nothing wrong with that either

So you're telling me its not weird for me to be using my high school team bag as a 24 year old?? My ping hoofer is a tank. It's even been run over by a cart and it's still going strong.

Hell no--- Dig this--- I am 61 years old and I am carrying a Ping Hoofer that from what I can tell is one of the original ones--- It is blue and white has a school logo "W" on the ball pocket and "Eagles" on the side. Do not have any idea what school it is if it is high school or college--- I got it at Good Will about a month ago for $9.95 and it is in pristine shape. Legs work great and all the zippers do too--- No one has asked me about the "Eagles" yet but then again most of the locals around here know me and know I have a bunch of bags and stuff and the tourons are either too drunk or stupid to notice. Hey it fits my needs and that is what counts

OP - I do not see anything wrong with one having their name or logo on any type of bag. Hey it is a free country and golf is an individual sport so do what makes you happy

I'm with you Stu, I did the same thing as you. Found a nice HS / College PING Hoofer bag at the local GW for $7 bucks. Has a school name on one side and a players name on the other. But now when I use it I have to wear my wife's cut offs and a wig, cause the name on it was Linda S. I can hit from the ladies tees though, so that's a plus............. :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, do what makes you happy. I've had personalized bags going all the way back to my college playing days, and I don't mind getting a little goofy out there.

bag.jpg

Driver: TaylorMade M4 (Tensei Blue 60)
3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ
Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3
5-PW: TayloMade P790 (TT S300 DG105, 3* Flat)
48*: Callaway Vintage Forged +
52*, 56*: Callaway X Forged Vintage
60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Ping Stainless Anser 2, Ping Stainless B60, Odyssey White Hot 2Ball Blade, Odyssey White Steel Rossie, 1979 TaylorMade Heel Shafted Blade (I keep them in rotation until one quits working.)
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime

Having your name on your bag is great - I did it to keep away a potential theft - tough to sell a bag with someone else's name on it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I'm with you Stu, I did the same thing as you. Found a nice HS / College PING Hoofer bag at the local GW for $7 bucks. Has a school name on one side and a players name on the other. But now when I use it I have to wear my wife's cut offs and a wig, cause the name on it was Linda S. I can hit from the ladies tees though, so that's a plus............. :rofl:

There you go--- I do rock pink laces in one solid white pair of FJs but I bought them from a young lady selling them for Breast Cancer Awareness---- One of those nosy old fart retirees around my club made a crack and I gave him my do not mess with me growl and told him " I lost a Son to cancer and I will do anything I can to help others with any type of cancer" that is entirely true. That same young lady was giving out sunglasses at a charity event for the same cause. I bought a pair of the pink and black framed ones Blues brothers style and rocked them. Heck tell someone if they question you on the bag that is one of your old girlfriends and she now plays on the LPGA some but of course cut your current wife in on the joke

Yeah, do what makes you happy. I've had personalized bags going all the way back to my college playing days, and I don't mind getting a little goofy out there.

bag.jpg

NICE bag!! Heck I would rock it even with your name on it LOL!! Besides from your handicap IF anyone makes a smart comment I would say you have the game to back it up

bag.jpg

NICE bag!! Heck I would rock it even with your name on it LOL!! Besides from your handicap IF anyone makes a smart comment I would say you have the game to back it up

Thanks man! I was hoping TM would do the paisley pattern in purple so I could do a Prince tribute bag, but alas, blue was all they have.

Driver: TaylorMade M4 (Tensei Blue 60)
3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ
Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3
5-PW: TayloMade P790 (TT S300 DG105, 3* Flat)
48*: Callaway Vintage Forged +
52*, 56*: Callaway X Forged Vintage
60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Ping Stainless Anser 2, Ping Stainless B60, Odyssey White Hot 2Ball Blade, Odyssey White Steel Rossie, 1979 TaylorMade Heel Shafted Blade (I keep them in rotation until one quits working.)
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime

I guess this makes me a dope:

Very classy!

Thanks. I have an update. I had to get rid of the Ogio bag. I replaced it with a 2018 Ping Hoofer. I dropped the font size down a bit. And I used a gray color for the 2 this time.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

• 5 weeks later...

I have a removable pocket that's begging for embroidery, but I haven't done it for the same reason that I don't generally use personalized balls or have any tattoos... I can't think of anything that I'd want to see there every time I go to grab a club. Name/initials feels kinda boring to me.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8