Jimmy Walker admits to regularly breaking rule of golf on Twitter

deasy55

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is no different really than having a group of friends paired on tour where they have all agreed to look past any rules violations that would only come to light if one of the friends blew the whistle. I bet that never happens on tour, wink wink. I declare here today the theorem that if a single pga tour player admits to some behavior on Twitter, then a minimum of 30% of similarly situated players are doing the same thing.

if you dig around in those twitter discussions Justin Thomas also defends the practice

Yep. Another player who has no concept of his responsibility to protect the field.

I suspect the ethic amongst the youngsters on tour today is that you’re supposed to protect your pards “from” the field. Because they are your pardnas, dude. Who’d you rather be scoring the cash...your crew or someone you don’t like’s crew. Pahdnas is where it’s at.

I understand the outcry. But the onus is on the player whose ball is on the green. The only way to “fix” this would be to create a rule that requires a ball be marked on the green within certain parameters. That causes problems of its own.

I agree Jimmy is a dipshit for admitting “do you want me to leave that there” but a vast, vast majority of the time these scenarios unfold without a word being spoken. Or the dude whose ball is on the green will ask “is that in your way” and if the guy playing next says no, leaves it there. In that scenario it is impossible to determine collusion or intent.

Unless you’re a dipshit like Jimmy W and admit to it.

Not to mention he admits to taking into account whether or not he likes the other player. That is a huge problem to me. Really don't understand why other players are not speaking out about this unless it's just a lack of intestinal fortitude.

It’s become a “common courtesy”. The only time you usually DONT see it anymore is in the last few groups that are actually battling it out for the top few spots.

The exception being if one of the guys is having a crap day and is 4 or 5 shots off the lead and his buddy and playing partner is still in contention. Then it becomes even more of a hot topic.

If Jordan and Rickie are in the second to last group and one of them is having a bad day but the other is in contention, you can bet your last dollar they are helping each other out every time they get a chance to pull this crap.

Now if they are tied and fighting each other??? All the sudden you can bet you Word not allowed everything is getting marked.

This is obvious and some reporters have been complaining about this for quite some time now. Not Jimmy in particular, just across the tour as a whole. Happens every day of every tournament it seems. Protecting the field almost doesn't exist anymore. Will be interested to see if anything happens, but I'm doubtful.

and some here have argued that its nonsense. I guess that theory is out the window.

They just talked about this on Golf Central. All of them agreed that it was a huge integrity issue and needs to stop.

But, but, but, for months people have been saying this is a myth even though announcers and former players have been obviously upset at the increase in its use. Could random posters here know more than those that compete at the highest level? The answer is "of course".

Seems rather moot to me. How does essentially marking a tap in or not help or hurt anyone?

You guys can’t actually be serious. You don’t understand what “backstopping” is? As I just posted, watch the twitter video

Lol who doesn’t do this? If two guys miss the green and player A hits it to 4 feet and player B is in position to hit then let him go ahead before marking the ball. If this is intentional then I guess Finau could just aim for the pin next time if the ball is marked....damn trick shot artist.

Oh my God. You guys. Please. You are just stirring the pot now.

In that video Finau’s playing partner had PLENTY of time to mark his ball while Tony surveyed his nasty plugged bunker shot.

He very deliberately left his ball there to help him in case Tony came out hot....which He did....and it clearly helped him.

Even if it only helps one out of hundred times, it’s still wrong. It’s cheating and it’s unfair to the rest of the field.

It’s not like this is an isolated “weird” case. It happens far more than you would think. It often happens when the cameras aren’t on. Nearly every time it does happen on camera, the announcers make a point of saying that it has to stop,....yet it never does because there are no repercussions.

You must not have watched that live....where the guy hit that shot from 80 or so yards to there and Tony was ready to go.

Terry Gannon wasn’t really happy about it I don’t think. It wasn’t intentional at all on his playing partners part....Tony probably just said “hey that’s fine where it is”

I guess if we’re gonna enforce 22-1, then I’ll have all of my playing partners from now on mark their ball when they hit every green in regulation.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

You know, when it comes down to how much money these guys are playing for, I wonder where the line is between breaking the rules and fraud.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Openly admitting that you mark/don't mark depending on whether or not you like the guy is absolute bush league. I assume Jimmy is marking everything with DJ.

Also the Huh/An thing that started this was outrageous, you have enough time to pull the pin but not to have the guy mark it, what a joke.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Is it not an advantage to know what club the other player(s) hit? Should the caddies not flash the signs but hide the clubs from view to "protect the field"? It seems much the same. It is a violation to ask but you can go look in the bag and it's ok. It's ok to leave your ball but not if you ask?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Twitter. No good ever comes from any celebrity having an account. If so is an account that’s only used by a very good publicist.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Is it not an advantage to know what club the other player(s) hit? Should the caddies not flash the signs but hide the clubs from view to "protect the field"? It seems much the same. It is a violation to ask but you can go look in the bag and it's ok. It's ok to leave your ball but not if you ask?

The Rules are not what you think they should be; they're agreed upon and published by the R&A and the USGA. :swoon:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Even Curtis Strange chimed in to say Walker was out of line

Lol. Strange is the king of being out of line. He should know how to spot it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think the difference is knowing the club isn't going to bail out a bad shot, just like getting a read from a guys putt in your group, you still have to hit the shot. Backstopping can bail you out from an otherwise poor shot, see Finau. If Finau didn't want to wait for the other player to get to the green he absolutely should of had his caddie go mark the ball, I think he probably just didn't know but if you know how the rule is written there is no way you can hit that shot in good conscience.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

How TF does it help his "friend"?

If the second player hits his ball too hard and the first players ball stops it, or slows it down, and his ball ends up closer to the hole than it would have been if it had not hit the first players ball, it is a huge advantage.

It happens more often than people think. There are lots of video examples of it. The problem with it is, the second player recieves an unfair benefit and the first player is not penalized because he is simply required to replace his ball as near to its original spot as possible.

Players have deliberately been leaving their balls near the hole to help other players for years now. 20 years ago you NEVER saw this. It started quietly in the last decade or so with buddies helping buddies and now nearly all of them do it as a type of "courtesy" to the other player. If you go up and mark your ball these days, as you are SUPPOSED TO DO, you are looked at by the other guys like a jerk.

Post a couple please!

I see it happen on par 3's and shots from the fairways, but rarely around the green.

Finau and Kokrak did it at napa valley at the beginning of this season and it created a stir you can google it. it happens alot on mini tours but we play way faster.Its a rule thats ignored most of the time.Right or wrong it happens way more now than 20 years ago

Kind of funny to me. He’s just saying out loud what every person who’s ever played tournament golf already knows.

I got flamed for saying that inexact ball marking is a normal thing during the Lexi diabacle. People acted shocked I’d say that. Well guess what ? It’s still true. Nobody pays that much attention to marking and replacing. Why ? There’s such a small chance of that 1/8 inch to a 1/2 inch making a difference. Same with a ball left on the green. When have we ever seen it make a difference ? Wher the line ? Do we walk up and mark from 75 yards out ?

And the way they harp on pace of play ? How does it not take more time to wait for a guy to walk up 40 yards to mark ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

To the people on here claiming it isnt a rules violation, what version of the rule book are ye bloody reading?

The rule itself is perfectly clear and calls for a DQ.

If they do what Walker described, yes: "In stroke play, if the Committee determines that competitors have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist any competitor, they are disqualified."

But, assuming they don't do that, the rule only says "if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may (mark the ball or request to have it marked)".

So the rule doesn't explicitly require the player to do anything. It's left to their discretion whether the ball will help or whether they want to mark.

From what I'm reading, it's only a DQ/penalty for discussing it with your playing partner and agreeing to help each other.

To the people on here claiming it isnt a rules violation, what version of the rule book are ye bloody reading?

If they do what Walker described, yes: "In stroke play, if the Committee determines that competitors have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist any competitor, they are disqualified."

But, assuming they don't do that, the rule only says "if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may (mark the ball or request to have it marked)".

So the rule doesn't explicitly require the player to do anything. It's left to their discretion whether the ball will help or whether they want to mark.

From what I'm reading, it's only a DQ/penalty for discussing it with your playing partner and agreeing to help each other.

And he said on twitter he would often discuss it with his playing partner, hence why im not sure why people are arguing he isnt breaking any rules.

Exactly that. Its a spirit of the rule type of scenario. If you conspire with another player to do so then its a DQ. If you hit a 10 yard bunker shot and put it to 3-4 feet and you rush out and ask the other player whos ready to play ( chip from the fringe as an example) if he wants you to mark it and he says no thats okay then its no DQ if he hits your ball. The protecting the field issue really only comes into play really in the last groups.