2018 United States Open

Darth Putter

I dont understand Furyk and Els getting exemptions but not Goosen.Bizarre decision. The man has won 2 US opens and almost a third. hes the last champion at that venue. As a career reward and 2 x time champion he earned it. hes 49 and chances are he wont qualify for another one. Sometimes i dont understand the USGAs thinking on exemptions

Goosen got one in 2016, so they must be thinking that's his one.

Ray Floyd got one the last time the US Open was at Shinnecock in 2004. Pavin made it that year with his ten year exemption.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand Furyk and Els getting exemptions but not Goosen.Bizarre decision. The man has won 2 US opens and almost a third. hes the last champion at that venue. As a career reward and 2 x time champion he earned it. hes 49 and chances are he wont qualify for another one. Sometimes i dont understand the USGAs thinking on exemptions

Goosen got one in 2016, so they must be thinking that's his one.

Ray Floyd got one the last time the US Open was at Shinnecock in 2004. Pavin made it that year with his ten year exemption.

Yup Floyd is a member at at shinnecock and they gave him a exemption in 2004 which was appropriate. I know goosen got one in 2016 but theyve given a few multiples before. i just think its poor form in my opinion as its a well known tradition to bring back the champion if hes still active and not qualified.

I think the late-early tee time bodes better for T Dub. More daylight on that first day to avoid back tightness scenarios.

I don't like how he's not there yet but guys like Rory and Phil have been there since the day after Memorial ended to get used to the course and getting to practice on the premises. That seems like they're a lot more serious about winning.

Also, Tiger's staying on his ship at the dock, which is ~30 miles away from the course. I would think that too is a (self-imposed) disadvantage.

Those 5 footers he was missing for birdie at the memorial will be for par in this tournament. I reckon there's a better chance he misses the cut than contends sadly.

I don't like how he's not there yet but guys like Rory and Phil have been there since the day after Memorial ended to get used to the course and getting to practice on the premises. That seems like they're a lot more serious about winning.

Tiger was there prior to The Memorial. Tiger is likely at Shinnecock practicing now. Phil is playing in Memphis this weekend.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/woods-after-playing-shinnecock-changes-quite-significant/

I think the late-early tee time bodes better for T Dub. More daylight on that first day to avoid back tightness scenarios.

Also, Tiger's staying on his ship at the dock, which is ~30 miles away from the course. I would think that too is a (self-imposed) disadvantage.

Those 5 footers he was missing for birdie at the memorial will be for par in this tournament. I reckon there's a better chance he misses the cut than contends sadly.

how is staying on a 20,000,000 yacht a disadvantage, LMAO.....

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/06/06/tiger-woods-6500-square-foot-yacht-spotted-hamptons

"Woods will stay on the yacht during the tournament, which is what he also did in 2006. That year he rolled up to the U.S. Open at Winged Foot in the 155-foot craft, which has a gym, jacuzzi, and seven bedrooms,"

Or you think he stay at airbnb?

Tiger was there prior to The Memorial. Tiger is likely at Shinnecock practicing now. Phil is playing in Memphis this weekend.

https://www.golfchan...te-significant/

My bad, it's not Phil, but there were other high profile golfers along with Rory who arrived at Shinnecock the day after Memorial.

I know Tiger played there prior to the Memorial, but it's one thing to fly in for a practice round or 2 and another to get there 10 days early to get familiar with the course and practice on the grounds where the tournament will be played. And it doesn't seem like he's there yet, or else it would've been reported already. His ship has been there for few days, but he's most likely not getting there until Monday.

The commute? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to be as close to the golf course as possible? 60 miles of driving each day for a guy with back trouble as opposed to just walking to the course from a nearby hotel.

My bad, it's not Phil, but there were other high profile golfers along with Rory who arrived at Shinnecock the day after Memorial.

I know Tiger played there prior to the Memorial, but it's one thing to fly in for a practice round or 2 and another to get there 10 days early to get familiar with the course and practice on the grounds where the tournament will be played.

The commute? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to be as close to the golf course as possible? 60 miles of driving each day for a guy with back trouble as opposed to just walking to the course from a nearby hotel.

Big Cat could fly a helicopter off his boat while getting a massage if he wanted to, i think he has it figured out with regards to what's best for him.

I know Tiger played there prior to the Memorial, but it's one thing to fly in for a practice round or 2 and another to get there 10 days early to get familiar with the course and practice on the grounds where the tournament will be played. And it doesn't seem like he's there yet, or else it would've been reported already. His ship has been there for few days, but he's most likely not getting there until Monday.

How do you know how much anybody has or has not practiced there? Do you actually believe Rory or other touring pros have been there every day after The Memorial practicing? Please. That's almost as nonsensical as most of your initial post (#35) about Tiger. And why would Tiger need or want to practice everyday if his back doesn't allow it? Kind of defeats your hot take about him being there everyday. Thanks for the chuckle.

Plenty of places to park a huge yacht in Southampton within miles of the course.

Plenty of places to park a huge yacht in Southampton within miles of the course.

Tiger wants to get his man-hoe on during the US Open and the best place for privacy has already been selected.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Yup i doubt he stays 30 miles away unless his yacht is too big.So many massive mansions with private beaches and docks near that place its insane.

Heres a refresher from 2004 if you have 30 mins to burn... at 5 min mark tiger shows what can happen at certain holes

[media=]

[/media]

man i loved goosen game. just areal professional, very even keel.

Some old generaton X’ers might remember the old Madness hit ”Baggy Trousers”. This was before the Parnevik slim pant revolution.

USGA should have invited the defending champion Goosen. Pretty weak move imho.

Agree here. And he does not play all that bad these days. The Dufner of his time.

Much better than Dufner, was part of a Big 5 at one point and wasn't many better in the world for about 5 years.

I wasnt referring to golfing ability here. The fist pumpers of their respective era, rather.

Seems like mixed thoughts as to the type of player who can win here. Looking at the yardage of the course and individual holes surely short to medium hitters have no chance here or maybe im wrong- will it play hard and fast with plenty of run?

Let's make one thing nice and sparkling clear- At 7,445 yards, Shinnecock Hills is not even close to being a "long" course or brutish. Not these days.

I suspect we'll see a ridiculously large amount of 7I's, 8I's and 9I's into the par 4 greens. But those shots can be quite demanding at Shinnecock because of the false fronts and undulations surrounding the greens. You'll need to hit crisp irons, and you'll need to hole some tricky putts.

Seems like mixed thoughts as to the type of player who can win here. Looking at the yardage of the course and individual holes surely short to medium hitters have no chance here or maybe im wrong- will it play hard and fast with plenty of run?

Let's make one thing nice and sparkling clear- At 7,445 yards, Shinnecock Hills is not even close to being a "long" course or brutish. Not these days.

I suspect we'll see a ridiculously large amount of 7I's, 8I's and 9I's into the par 4 greens. But those shots can be quite demanding at Shinnecock because of the false fronts and undulations surrounding the greens. You'll need to hit crisp irons, and you'll need to hole some tricky putts.

holding those greens in crosswinds will be hilarious for some who dont have control of their distances.I played it last year and it blew hard. the wind was about 25-30. the greens were 10.5 11 at some spots and putts/chips and pitches were being taken by the wind.The new tees will change angles and they have trimmed/shaved some fairways in bail out areas into rough and fescue. If its soft because of rain there are very gettable holes but if its dry it will be a good test. The slopes and ridges on the greens are incredible. lots of falloffs

Agree here. And he does not play all that bad these days. The Dufner of his time.

And Goosen just posted a T6th at Memphis

Goosen received an exemption into the USO already. It's rare to receive more than 1.

They've become rare period.

Since 2005, these will only be the fourth and fifth special exemptions handed out.

The list for those curious...

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/media/online-media-center/usga-records/u-s--open--special-exemptions.html

And Goosen just posted a T6th at Memphis

Goosen received an exemption into the USO already. It's rare to receive more than 1.

They've become rare period.

Since 2005, these will only be the fourth and fifth special exemptions handed out.

The list for those curious...

http://www.usga.org/...exemptions.html

Mike Davis reminds me of Mrs. Pelz. They both set up extremely difficult scoring conditions.