2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TP Black Copper Collection

rchera3

Bought 2 'Soto's' after rolling them at Golftown...

Been a devoted Spider guy, but just needed something fresh (Always preferred the look of a blade, but generally putt better with a mallet). Really liked the feel and weight of the head, especially when I decided to go completely 'old school' and ditch my normally preferred counter balanced SuperStrokes for a Golf Pride Tour Classic mid...

After a week, I ordered the 'weight tool' Taylormade.ca (Can't seem to order any of the weights in Canada at this time) to add a but of lead inside the weight ports to give it just a wee bit more heft (Don't really think I would go to the full 20g or 15g weights as the 10g's are almost perfect for me surprisingly as I prefer really heavy putters)...

So, not sure if it's just because it's 'different', but I've been holing EVERYTHING, it's just crazy good for me at the moment, just loving my Soto's!! (Won't shed myself of my Spiders yet in case it's just a honeymoon, but wow is this a great putter).

Cheers,

- Ian

I haven’t seen any 15-20 gram weights on their site.

Anywhere else I can get them? Would like a couple 15 gram ones

Thanks!

Been a devoted Spider guy, but just needed something fresh (Always preferred the look of a blade, but generally putt better with a mallet). Really liked the feel and weight of the head, especially when I decided to go completely 'old school' and ditch my normally preferred counter balanced SuperStrokes for a Golf Pride Tour Classic mid...

After a week, I ordered the 'weight tool' Taylormade.ca (Can't seem to order any of the weights in Canada at this time) to add a but of lead inside the weight ports to give it just a wee bit more heft (Don't really think I would go to the full 20g or 15g weights as the 10g's are almost perfect for me surprisingly as I prefer really heavy putters)...

So, not sure if it's just because it's 'different', but I've been holing EVERYTHING, it's just crazy good for me at the moment, just loving my Soto's!! (Won't shed myself of my Spiders yet in case it's just a honeymoon, but wow is this a great putter).

Cheers,

- Ian

Thanks!

When I thought about adding a bit of weight, went on the TM website as they were apparently available at one point (once again, thinking 15-20g may be a bit much for a 'non-counter balanced' mallet, but everybody has their preferences)...

No longer it seems, tried eBay, etc. and couldn't find a thing - Figure just a bit too new of an accessory even though the TP range is almost at the 2 year mark now I believe.

On a positive note, when I ordered the 'Tool', it was at my house in less than 2 days (Much better than my custom shafted/lofted MG wedges that took about 3 months or so :stink: ).

May be worth sending TM an email or something, or get your local retailer in touch with their reps.

Cheers,

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S
:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

I just missed out on a copper mullen 2 on Ebay and am disappointed. I am putting well with my Never Compromise Gambler Flush but the Mullen is calling my name. I love the shape. I play #9 style putters but that square mid mallet look is awesome and the copper finish is beautiful. The question is how will it feel after I am used to playing a soft forged putter. Anyone have a comparison on feel? Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason why the Soto putters aren't in stores yet? I know they were back ordered initially due to the Rory spike but to not have them in most stores yet is strange. Anyone see the Soto's at their local stores? Want to roll one before making the decision to buy one.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

Shane Lowry's long neck / face balanced TP putter

iuhl6oX.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Cheers,

- Ian

Thanks!

When I thought about adding a bit of weight, went on the TM website as they were apparently available at one point (once again, thinking 15-20g may be a bit much for a 'non-counter balanced' mallet, but everybody has their preferences)...

No longer it seems, tried eBay, etc. and couldn't find a thing - Figure just a bit too new of an accessory even though the TP range is almost at the 2 year mark now I believe.

On a positive note, when I ordered the 'Tool', it was at my house in less than 2 days (Much better than my custom shafted/lofted MG wedges that took about 3 months or so :stink: ).

May be worth sending TM an email or something, or get your local retailer in touch with their reps.

Cheers,

- Ian

Just checked in with TM on this via their online chat. They have weights available in stock, but only in 2.5, 5, and 7 grams. The rep on the chat stated after I asked about the 15's that they are currently out of stock, but should be back soon, (whatever that means).

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/Sole-Weights/N6675801.html?cgid=taylormade-accessories-components#start=7&

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Just purchased an Ardmore 3, and I love it. Speed and distance control were much improved, and I think the 12* toe hang really helps me. I've kind of always felt I was sort of between face balanced and something like the spider tour so maybe I've found my match. Love the feel of the insert btw and as some have said it feels different than the spider tours and almost like the old agsi inserts.

Just purchased an Ardmore 3, and I love it. Speed and distance control were much improved, and I think the 12* toe hang really helps me. I've kind of always felt I was sort of between face balanced and something like the spider tour so maybe I've found my match. Love the feel of the insert btw and as some have said it feels different than the spider tours and almost like the old agsi inserts.

Looks like Tiger had the same idea

DgoVwbMWsAAb1it.jpg

DgoYtUyWkAEwVir.jpg

DgoYtVNWsAAnMZ9.jpg

DgoZSFDUEAAFE-g.jpg

DgoZwRfUYAA5DMu.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Would you say that it feels noticeably firmer than the firm insert in the Spider Tour Black?

Would you say that it feels noticeably firmer than the firm insert in the Spider Tour Black?

not necessarily. I think they’re pretty equal in terms of firmness, but feel a bit different because of weight and sound.

Having used the Ardmore Red, various other putters in the TP collection (including my current TP Black Copper Soto), I personally feel the 'pure roll' metal inserts from this line of putters is noticeably different from the Spider Black's insert, which I've also gamed extensively...

I believe the TP line is much firmer in feel in comparison, and a world away from a firmness perspective from the Spider Red's Surlyn insert.

Just my opinion of course.

- Ian

:taylormade-small: Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
:taylormade-small: My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride :taylormade-small: Pistol
:taylormade-small: My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
:taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red) :taylormade-small: TP5 Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart / :skycaddie: SX550 GPS / :bushnell: ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

Be honest, how many of you bought one of these this week. I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

I bought an Ardmore 3 on Monday and one or two days later the news came out about Tiger using one. An ad for the Ardmore 3 is now the first thing that pops up on TM’s website now as well.

Bad TM. That’s not even the one that TW is currently playing.

Hopefully someone could help me out here. How does the TP Black Copper Soto compare to the PING Scottsdale TR ZB S? Both have a flow neck although the ZB S has a little more toe hang. I am however, most interested in how each insert feels compared to one another. Which would be the firmer of the 2 inserts? The Black Copper Soto is not in stock anywhere in my locality so I can't compare myself.

Thanks,

Harry

What is the verdict on these? Insert feel hard? Does the black fade away and into more copper look?
The black does start to fade to a copper look, especially on the sole. The insert actually feels very nice. It’s a much more solid feel compared to the Spider putters. I’m not a big fan of inserts, but I could actually use this one. It feels soft, but solid at the same time.

What is the verdict on these? Insert feel hard? Does the black fade away and into more copper look?

The face is the old original AGSI which is kind of a medium feel to me. Not super soft like the black insert but not super metal like the other red/silver inserts. To me it's the perfect medium of the current inserts.

I have a bettinardi bb8 I love, but have long considered a flow neck, and I may be picking up a Soto this weekend.

The face is the old original AGSI which is kind of a medium feel to me. Not super soft like the black insert but not super metal like the other red/silver inserts. To me it's the perfect medium of the current inserts.

I have a bettinardi bb8 I love, but have long considered a flow neck, and I may be picking up a Soto this weekend.

Actually loving this putter, still in the 'Honeymoon' phase as it's yielding an 'Ian record' of 1.4 putts on average per round over the past month. Honestly, the change to going with a blade from a mallet is likely deserving more credit than the putter itself, but I'm sinking EVERYTHING right now and not doing my usual 'pulling thing' that can happen when I've used a blade in my past...

Almost feel the mallet (Spider) taught me to putt better, but the look of the Soto and the feel in my hands is just making it better all around at the moment.

Love the feel of it, loving everything about it right now (How long will it last LOL??!!).

Cheers,

- Ian

Actually loving this putter, still in the 'Honeymoon' phase as it's yielding an 'Ian record' of 1.4 putts on average per round over the past month. Honestly, the change to going with a blade from a mallet is likely deserving more credit than the putter itself, but I'm sinking EVERYTHING right now and not doing my usual 'pulling thing' that can happen when I've used a blade in my past...

Almost feel the mallet (Spider) taught me to putt better, but the look of the Soto and the feel in my hands is just making it better all around at the moment.

Love the feel of it, loving everything about it right now (How long will it last LOL??!!).

Cheers,

- Ian

Awesome to hear. The Soto just frames the ball nice with the slant neck vs my plumbers neck, and I like the little heavier toe hang. The finish I have always loved but haven't used an insert putter in so long I was a little worried but after rolling it it's not that bad.

It may be an early birthday present to myself! Besides, there is always the BST... ?

• 1 month later...

Rolled one of the Sotos today... the black copper is a beautiful finish and I thought the insert felt kind of soft, but in a good way. Gaming the Spider Tour red right now and the Soto really has my interest... it feel stable but soft... I may try and grab one. Any of you still liking yours, or have you moved on?

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Rolled one of the Sotos today... the black copper is a beautiful finish and I thought the insert felt kind of soft, but in a good way. Gaming the Spider Tour red right now and the Soto really has my interest... it feel stable but soft... I may try and grab one. Any of you still liking yours, or have you moved on?

I have mixed opinions on these. The insert puts a great roll on the ball but like the O-Works microhinge, it feels muted, unresponsive and lacks any decent level of audible feedback. Just my 2 cents.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I have mixed opinions on these. The insert puts a great roll on the ball but like the O-Works microhinge, it feels muted, unresponsive and lacks any decent level of audible feedback. Just my 2 cents.

Had the opposite reaction. Microhinge much quieter and softer. TM Pure Roll feels lively to me with some pop to it. Best insert out rignt now IMO. I believe Tiger was also talking about how he went with this insert in his new putter because it has a nice pop at impact.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

This is my TP Mullen 2 that I just finished modifying.

Pulled the original double bend shaft and bent the stub to fit a single bend UST Frequency Filtered shaft to get zero offset and blacked out the steel lower portion of the shaft with vinyl wrap.

Put a P2 Reflex Tour grip on it with a 100g counterweight in the butt of the shaft. Thinking about trying some dye on the grip to black it out.

I was already a fan of the TM Pure Roll insert in its various forms but the combo of that with the UST FF shaft makes well-hit putts feel like pure silk - really liking it so far. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts...

Callaway Rogue ST D 9*, BGT Brava S - Cobra LTDX 5W, Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0 - Titleist TS2 7W, Aldila Voodoo 7S - 5-7 Titleist T300, PX LZ 5.5 - 8-G Cobra Forged Tec One, Nippon Modus 120S - Vokey SM7 54*F, Nippon Modus 125S - Vokey SM8 58*D, DG S200 - TM Mullen 2 - Ball: TM 2021 TP5X / Srixon Z Star XV