-31 on 18 Holes of Golf ?

Bomber_11

My area has several legit scrambles every year. Both two-man and four-man. A few have the novelties - purchasing mulligans, skirts (one shot from any ladies tee), one 'throw' and a few others.

In order to speed pace most ever tournament has a piece of tape on the flag and anything inside is a gimme. You wouldn't believe how much trouble that causes.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot a 40 once. But it was a short course with probably 4 driveable par 4's. It was horribly organized and they ended up letting us buy 20 ft of string per person...... We strung in for a one on two different par 4's. We were actually mad we didn't break 40. The field was infuriated because we came in 6 shots clear of second. This was with a former college golfer hitting from the ladies tees.

Because of this tournament, I'm reluctant to ever say someone cheated. It seems like every time I've ever played in a scramble, there are several people claiming cheating because they just couldn't fathom how low the score was.

In this case, if there were no gimmicks at all, it seems very unlikely.

Doesn't anybody else here play in legitimate scrambles? Ones that aren't filled with cheats?

Yes. We have a November 4-person Scramble with ABCD random draw players.

Winning score has been (-12) and (-11) the past two years. Par 70. Approx. 6200 yards. I was lucky enough to win 1. :)

I wish more places did this. I’d gladly partake in this sort of thing

My club does a 9-hole ABCD random draw scramble every Wed. evening in season. No mulligans, strings, or other crap, and each person pays a small entry fee that goes into a pot that everyone plays for. One win for your team will pretty much pay for your season. No cheating, since it's all club members and your team is random. Also an easy way for new members to meet a bunch of people easily without feeling too self-conscious about your game.

It really surprised me how much fun a "legit" scramble could be. I'd always avoided them like the plague (unless it was during work hours,) due to too many bad experiences playing in the traditional "charity"-type scramble.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I play the Fisher House tournament every year and a good friend of mine runs the one down in Green Valley. She said the first place prize is a sleeve of balls because screw cheaters. The real prizes are in the raffle and auctions. They do all the things like mulligans, strings etc because they want it to be fun for people and the majority of people that come out to play them play golf once a year.

off topic...Shipwreck, is that a Trident in your avatar? Much respect if it is.

I'd love to claim that I was a former SEAL but I would never stoop that low. Just a former squid with a huge love and appreciation for our Special Operations community. I collect as much Navy SEAL stuff as I can and do whatever I can to give back to the veteran community. My son (4 months old now) is gonna get bed time stories from all the books I have lol.

As far as winning scores, right around the -24 to -26 mark is usually what wins. My friend who runs it has the mentality that if they are gonna cheat, at least they are donating to a good cause. It's their conscience they have to deal with.

Thank you for your service Ship!

Agree, thanks Shipwreck. My son is a Navy Corpsman attached to the 1st Marines Raider Battalion (MARSOC) at Pendleton. I'll be in San Diego visiting him for the 4th of July, enjoying the fireworks from atop the deck of the Midway.

Bring your raincoat and a sweater. The weather sux in San Diego.

Played in a 5 man scramble last Saturday. Filled with great local golfers and college players. They setup the course extremely difficult with crazy hole locations on ridges or 1 pace on the green and they cut special tee boxes only for this event to change the way you have to shape shots. Course played around 6700 yards I believe. They have someone at the green on every hole that your team captain has to sign for your score after you get the ball in the cup. It was a pretty good setup that stopped any cheating. My team from our club with 2 former college golfers and 3 low single digits shot -15. The winning team was -21, 3 shots clear of second. Their first 6 holes they went: Eagle, Eagle, Birdie, Eagle, Birdie, Eagle. Pretty crazy stuff and only one of those holes was a Par 5. Fun day though. Wish we had a few shots/putts back!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve seen 43 in a scramble, but it was a handicapped event. Sometimes people lie. One of the players was 2nd in Open qualifying the next week. We were told he had a 18 handicap. It’s pretty crappy what people do.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

Doesn't anybody else here play in legitimate scrambles? Ones that aren't filled with cheats (I play in enough of those too)? But we also play several where there are two groups on each hole so the scoring and any drive requirements are legit. Yes it takes longer, but when I'm playing in one of these its usually with good friends so it makes the time much more tolerable.

Definitely like the two and three man stuff better, but we survive the four man deals too.

This is how pretty much all of the scramble we play in and run have gone. Two teams playing together (random picks, your not playing with your buddies team) has worked out really well.

For the regular cup scrambles we usually see a -13 to -15 winner. For the 8" big cups -17 to -21.

Also most places here have gone to min team handicaps. Usually 40 or 50 and to receive any payouts all players need to have a handicap or they are considered a scratch.

Doesn't anybody else here play in legitimate scrambles? Ones that aren't filled with cheats (I play in enough of those too)? But we also play several where there are two groups on each hole so the scoring and any drive requirements are legit. Yes it takes longer, but when I'm playing in one of these its usually with good friends so it makes the time much more tolerable.

Definitely like the two and three man stuff better, but we survive the four man deals too.

This is how pretty much all of the scramble we play in and run have gone. Two teams playing together (random picks, your not playing with your buddies team) has worked out really well.

For the regular cup scrambles we usually see a -13 to -15 winner. For the 8" big cups -17 to -21.

Also most places here have gone to min team handicaps. Usually 40 or 50 and to receive any payouts all players need to have a handicap or they are considered a scratch.

I like it when two teams get to play together. Last Sat, we had 3 man scramble to raise money and two teams played together on every groups. 18 under 54 was the winning score, thought we played great. 16 under 56 was 2nd. Total of 4 WRX members were on those two teams!!

I still say -31 is impossible without pencil cheating and other score reducing craps.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

So tired trying to make sense of these posts. This weekend (3 rounds) 11 golfers all 7-12 HC and 5 (maybe 6) total birdies.......

So nearly 600 holes between them and only 5 or 6 birdies? that's very low

A little low, but pretty much the norm for us. Heck I got 2 birdies in 3 rounds, which is good for me...... One low HC'er has been off, but got 2 yesterday..... As said tired of reading all these 10HC'ers saying 3/round is the norm. Just not with my circle of golfers.

Same with the golfer who states that he usually chips one in every round.

Something we agree on... no one chips in once a round.

I’ve chipped in once.. a year

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I saw a -21 once at a scramble, it was 3 high end Ams and 1 Pro. Shortish course, they won all skill prizes and the tournament. It was legit cause you played as 2 4-somes and kept each others scores.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Is the OP (original poster) going to clear this up for us?

Occasionally you'll find a course around 4-5 k yards, par low 60's, driveable par 4's. That's one possibility.

More likely, it was handicapped and due to incompetence by the organisers all groups were given the wrong allowance. Think we usually play about 10% of the combined, shouldn't be much more than that.

Or, of course, they can't count.

I play a lot of scamble golf with work and have never seen anything close to this. We have some really short courses here and 47 is the lowest I've ever seen.

Titleist TSi2 10* Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TS2 16* Diamana S+ 60X 
Taylormade Rescue 22* Aldila XVS9
Titleist T100S TT Dynalite Sensicore X100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

If I was the director, I would have changed the first place prize from $100 pro shop gift cards to $25/ea and put the other $300 in a raffle. Let the cheaters get a hat for their hard work.

I just feel bad for the 50. You remember that time you shot a 50 and finished 1 out of the money? Yeah....me neither.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. We shot 52 in a 4 man with mulligans/string putts, and lost out to a 51.

Winning group was behind us so I saw them play all day. They were all wearing chucks, goodwill bags of clubs and looked like they never swung a club in their life. Kicker was they said they eagled a 635 yard par 5. I won the long drive on that hole and saw them take two shots just to get to my drive.

We tried to call them out but the tourney director didnt care. We wont go back...

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

If I was the director, I would have changed the first place prize from $100 pro shop gift cards to $25/ea and put the other $300 in a raffle. Let the cheaters get a hat for their hard work.

I just feel bad for the 50. You remember that time you shot a 50 and finished 1 out of the money? Yeah....me neither.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. We shot 52 in a 4 man with mulligans/string putts, and lost out to a 51.

Winning group was behind us so I saw them play all day. They were all wearing chucks, goodwill bags of clubs and looked like they never swung a club in their life. Kicker was they said they eagled a 635 yard par 5. I won the long drive on that hole and saw them take two shots just to get to my drive.

We tried to call them out but the tourney director didnt care. We wont go back...

Gotta love this crap and seems to happen every time. A group of guys who combined couldn’t hit the ball 300yards yet seem to magically birdie and eagle even the most difficult of holes. Like you I have thought about calling them out time and time again. If they are that good, they wouldn’t mind playing $100 a hole would they?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Gotta love this crap and seems to happen every time. A group of guys who combined couldn't hit the ball 300yards yet seem to magically birdie and eagle even the most difficult of holes. Like you I have thought about calling them out time and time again. If they are that good, they wouldn't mind playing $100 a hole would they?

We had one tournament a long time ago on New Years day. It was a rain or shine event.

It was 5 degrees outside and the course was concrete. Every approach shot landed and bounces 50 feet in the air. It was windy. So cold the let us drive our cars on the cart paths to keep warm.

This group of 50 somethings turned in a 59 (no mulligans, rope or anything) and we placed second with at 1 under ( 4 collegiate golfers). The owner of the course was running the tournament. He made the guys go play 2 holes and if the didnt birdie both of them he was going to DQ them for blatant cheating. They tripled both holes and he banned them from the course :D

He gave the rest of the participants free rounds out there and a sleeve of balls.

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Gotta love this crap and seems to happen every time. A group of guys who combined couldn't hit the ball 300yards yet seem to magically birdie and eagle even the most difficult of holes. Like you I have thought about calling them out time and time again. If they are that good, they wouldn't mind playing $100 a hole would they?

We had one tournament a long time ago on New Years day. It was a rain or shine event.

It was 5 degrees outside and the course was concrete. Every approach shot landed and bounces 50 feet in the air. It was windy. So cold the let us drive our cars on the cart paths to keep warm.

This group of 50 somethings turned in a 59 (no mulligans, rope or anything) and we placed second with at 1 under ( 4 collegiate golfers). The owner of the course was running the tournament. He made the guys go play 2 holes and if the didnt birdie both of them he was going to DQ them for blatant cheating. They tripled both holes and he banned them from the course :D

He gave the rest of the participants free rounds out there and a sleeve of balls.

Lmao yes!!! That is awesome!!! I wish more tournament directors would do that. I get that it’s “for a good cause” but I honestly think it ends up hurting the overall charity aspect of it. People are gonna be hesitant to put down $500 for a foursome if they know that some ungodly score is going to win, or just so what my friend does and make the better prizes part of the raffle. I just don’t get the point of cheating in a scramble.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Lmao yes!!! That is awesome!!! I wish more tournament directors would do that. I get that it's "for a good cause" but I honestly think it ends up hurting the overall charity aspect of it. People are gonna be hesitant to put down $500 for a foursome if they know that some ungodly score is going to win, or just so what my friend does and make the better prizes part of the raffle. I just don't get the point of cheating in a scramble.

That was what he said. Charity tournaments with a bad rap for cheating never last more than a few years.

Seemore mFGP2