Tips Needed | Upcoming (and first ever!) Full Bag Fitting on 6/9

wacky wombat

Well, as the topic title states... I am the lucky recipient of a full bag fitting next Saturday (6/9) - my first full bag fitting. I love scouring the equipment blog(s) on here, and after reading countless threads, I knew you fine folks would be just the people to come to for advice and helpful tips!

For some background on me: The only club I have ever been fit for is my putter (via a SAM putter lab fitting). I know, I know... Not getting fit for clubs is like a sin in golf. But, to be fair, the clubs I am currently gaming are hand-me-downs from an old college roommate who gave these clubs to me at a reasonable price when I started playing golf about 7-8 years ago. Nice hand-me-downs, nonetheless.

At any rate, I love my current set-up but it's come time to hang them up. While I have never been fit, having messed around on some launch monitors, I know my driver swing speed ranges from 101 to 105. I don't hit it a long ways like some of the WRXers (I carry driver about 250-260 yards to give you an idea), I am a pretty solid ball striker, and usually shoot in the low to mid 80's. My current set up is as follows:

Driver: Titleist 909 D2, 9.5*, Diamana Blue Stiff 65g

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2, 15*, Proforce V2 Stiff 65g

Hybrid (3 iron replacement): Titleist 585h, 21*, Proforce V2 Stiff

Irons: Titleist 710 AP2 (4-6i), Titleist 710 MB (7-P), S300

Wedges: Vokeys at 50, 54, and 58*

For some background on the fitting: I am getting fit at Windmill Golf Center just outside of Cleveland (OH), and the fitting involves the full bag (minus putter) and is assisted by a PGA pro and Trackman. The fitting is scheduled to last about 3 hours. For anyone who has been fit there before, I would love to hear about your experience. And for anyone who has ever been fit by a Trackman and/or for a full bag, please impart any wisdom or advice you have!

I feel like I am going to be exhausted during this fitting due to its duration, and I would love to know how to best manage my time and energy. I also reside in the Midwest part of the US, and I can comfortably tell you my May swing is not as solid as my August swing (because of the winter "off-season"), so I am a bit nervous I won't give the fitter the best depiction of my game.

Although my current bag is full Titleist, I am not married to the brand and I am open to try anything. I am not much for colorful equipment (like TM drivers and that white bar), so I will likely stray away from anything that doesn't suit my eye; I prefer a clean look. I am also thinking I will stay with a mixed bag of irons, particularly keeping musclebacks in the 8i to PW for scoring.

When you have a chance, impart any and all wisdom you have! Thank you!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice gift or prize or however you got a full fitting! Congrats.

Not to rain on your parade, but yes that is alot to fit in one session - but your swing is your swing and a good fitter can probably nail your preferred shaft quickly.

Is your intention to order a whole new bag of clubs thru this guy? If so - you may be looking at $2,500+ in equipment.

Personally I like to let the fitter do his thing, but also bring my preferences to the table. Have seen some people get fit - do exactly what the fitter says then end up hating the club or getting surprised by a $600 club. Basically - view it as a partnership vs someone telling you what he thinks you should do...you have some flexibility in terms of heads, set makeup, etc.

You could also get some clubs now, then use his recommendation for the rest of the clubs later - spreads out the cost.

Evaluate where you think you need the most help - focus on those clubs.

Sounds like your have a good game for not playing too long - don't worry so much about it being early in the season, relax and try to swing normally...hopefully you get fit outside where you can see ballflight.

When fit for my irons, we did a full assessment to get the right shaft. From there, a few swings and he gave me wedge specs. An abbreviated long game fitting and he nailed my shaft for fairway wood and driving iron. I want to do a more full driver fitting later...but a good fitter can get most of your specs with the iron fitting - so you may not need to hit 200 balls.

Best of luck

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

That's a nice gift or prize or however you got a full fitting! Congrats.

Not to rain on your parade, but yes that is alot to fit in one session - but your swing is your swing and a good fitter can probably nail your preferred shaft quickly.

Is your intention to order a whole new bag of clubs thru this guy? If so - you may be looking at $2,500+ in equipment.

Personally I like to let the fitter do his thing, but also bring my preferences to the table. Have seen some people get fit - do exactly what the fitter says then end up hating the club or getting surprised by a $600 club. Basically - view it as a partnership vs someone telling you what he thinks you should do...you have some flexibility in terms of heads, set makeup, etc.

You could also get some clubs now, then use his recommendation for the rest of the clubs later - spreads out the cost.

Evaluate where you think you need the most help - focus on those clubs.

Sounds like your have a good game for not playing too long - don't worry so much about it being early in the season, relax and try to swing normally...hopefully you get fit outside where you can see ballflight.

When fit for my irons, we did a full assessment to get the right shaft. From there, a few swings and he gave me wedge specs. An abbreviated long game fitting and he nailed my shaft for fairway wood and driving iron. I want to do a more full driver fitting later...but a good fitter can get most of your specs with the iron fitting - so you may not need to hit 200 balls.

Best of luck

Appreciate the congratulatory remarks! As for how I commandeered this fitting... On a personal note, I just completed graduate school. After working full-time and simultaneously going to school for a few years, the ball-and-chain and parents decided some new weapons for the course would help to make up for all those all-nighters. But to your point, they do not golf and do not realize how expensive a gift this is, and I don't plan on letting it get pricey; I will likely just refresh whatever clubs provide me the greatest benefit. Plus, I would rather see $ go towards paying off these student loans... *gulp*

Anyway, I appreciate all of the advice! You didn't rain on my parade at all, and fortunately the fitting is outdoors. When my parents framed it as a "fun three hour" fitting, I don't think they were aware it takes a herculean effort to get through three hours of hitting balls!

But, it's good to know to bring some preferences to the table. Maybe between now and my fitting, I'll go try some clubs that suit my eye/feel at a local golf store, and then better focus my efforts during the fitting on getting the right shaft in those clubs.

Thanks again!

If at all possible, split the session in to two fittings. Irons first and then woods. I went through my iron fitting last week and was worn out by the time we finished trying everything that I wanted to so there was no way I could have given the woods a fair chance. Doing the woods and putter tomorrow and assume that I’ll be worn out again.

The whole process is a blast if you’re an equipment geek and pretty eye opening to what can be achieved by finding the perfect combo of shaft and heads. I went in to this with an idea of what I wanted to fit me best but quickly found out there were a number of better options. Good luck with your fitting on the 9th!

I did a fitting and part of the decision was if the new tech is better than my 14 year old clubs. If that’s relevant and you’re not just wanting new clubs regardless, make sure you bring your own clubs and use those as a baseline. I also hit a few with my clubs at the end of each club section just to check since I was getting warm and more grooved after those first few shots with my clubs. Also, check your iron lofts online as your 6i might the same loft as their 7i.

I found that spending thousands just wasn’t worth it. The new tech was a bit better with my iron mishits as I didn’t seem to really lose yardage, which is nice, but really the shots all just grouped in different places ... the shots weren’t that much better, plus/minus some yards and launch and spin and landing angle were all close. Close enough it wasn’t worth $1200+ for me personally. Same with the woods, it wasn’t a huge difference compared to my 2007 woods.

It’s a great experience and lots of fun and if you do decide it’s worthwhile, I suggest not ordering right away and taking a day to let the fun wear off before committing. I’m putting a lot of my club budget towards lessons and playing more instead.

OP, go in with an open mind, and have fun! Be prepared to hit lots of balls! ;)

Exactly what he says! When I did my fitting with Cool Clubs I would not look at any of the shafts or inquire (obviously you have an idea on the heads). I only used my preference for looks when it got down to the last 2 sets of irons, and they performed nearly identical. Every fitting I have done was way more positive when I went in with an open mind. I have left all of them with something very different than I thought I would get, and I have never once been disappointed with a club they recommended. It has made golf so much more fun too as my handicap has improved significantly.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Exactly what he says! When I did my fitting with Cool Clubs I would not look at any of the shafts or inquire (obviously you have an idea on the heads). I only used my preference for looks when it got down to the last 2 sets of irons, and they performed nearly identical. Every fitting I have done was way more positive when I went in with an open mind. I have left all of them with something very different than I thought I would get, and I have never once been disappointed with a club they recommended. It has made golf so much more fun too as my handicap has improved significantly.

It's great to hear going in with an open mind has benefited you on a number of levels. Like you mentioned, I have some preferences in terms of club heads, but I have zero preferences in regards to shaft, which clubs in my bag are mixed (i.e., going with a 4H instead of a 4i), and overall I am open to trying something new.

Out of curiosity: what was a time you went in wanting "x" and ended up leaving with "y"? I am curious how "surprised" I might be!

Reason being, I did a SAM putter fitting last year and ended up leaving with something I would have never selected. Up until the fitting, I used a typical Newport style putter thinking it was optimal for me; I really liked the small-bladed look, the feel of it, and putting was the strongest part of my game. After the fitting, I ended up leaving with a center shafted, "larger headed" putter, and was completely surprised. Fast forward to 18 months later, and I'm a far better putter than I was due to the equipment change. Maybe it's a placebo effect of being more confident in having fitted equipment, but I won't argue with the results.

It's great to hear going in with an open mind has benefited you on a number of levels. Like you mentioned, I have some preferences in terms of club heads, but I have zero preferences in regards to shaft, which clubs in my bag are mixed (i.e., going with a 4H instead of a 4i), and overall I am open to trying something new.

Out of curiosity: what was a time you went in wanting "x" and ended up leaving with "y"? I am curious how "surprised" I might be!

Reason being, I did a SAM putter fitting last year and ended up leaving with something I would have never selected. Up until the fitting, I used a typical Newport style putter thinking it was optimal for me; I really liked the small-bladed look, the feel of it, and putting was the strongest part of my game. After the fitting, I ended up leaving with a center shafted, "larger headed" putter, and was completely surprised. Fast forward to 18 months later, and I'm a far better putter than I was due to the equipment change. Maybe it's a placebo effect of being more confident in having fitted equipment, but I won't argue with the results.

This is spot on. I have had several fittings in the past couple of years and the first couple I was a Nike and Titleist homer. HUGE mistake. My last fitting at Club Champion I went in, specifically told him not to tell me what irons (woods were harder) I had in my hand and to give them to me faced down. I was shocked at some of the results I got with club companies I hated (i had no reasoning behind this). Try not to guess what you are going to get fit into. I didn't the last time and was surprised and happy wit hthe results. Time before that, I had my mind already on a set of PXG irons. Hit to many balls with them trying to get them to work. The numbers were off, should have moved on....

Be prepared to take notes. I also do but i am weird. Be prepared to hit a ton of balls. PACE YOURSELF. Wear comfortable clothes. Be honest with the fitter, tell him what you actually feel instead of what you think he would want to hear. Bring water.

Oh and don't be afraid to ask to hit what you want. I knew tour ad/dis were not a good fit for my swing but I wanted to hit it just to see what the fuss is about. I knew I was never going to buy Miura MB001s because I dont play enough anymore but I wanted to hit them.

I got fitted for the whole bag at a Club Champion recently and you'll hit a TON of balls. I would recommend taking Tylenol or something before you go. Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and bring plenty of water. My fitting was indoors and that hitting bay got hot fast.

Bringing an extra glove might be a good idea too. I ended up with a blister on my thumb from sweating too much in my glove.

Also, as others have said, I think it's best to go into it with an open mind about brands and not care what head/shaft the fitter is handing you. Let the numbers/feel decide for you.

Have fun!

That is really funny because the biggest surprise I ever had was also going in for a SAM putter fitting. I was play a Rife 2 bar mallet with a Superstroke grip. I left with a Scotty Newport 2 standard grip and am now known as one of the best putters at our club. The other big surprise for me was on the irons shafts. I ended up with a much softer and higher launch shaft (Nippon 950 GH) than I have ever had. I have been hitting my irons substantially better since the switch and getting significantly more carry. I feel like I am cheating.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I would go with telling him what you like, and don’t like, and there will be a nice compromise between I’m sure...just don’t get nervous and feel pushed to buy something, you can sleep on it most likely if buying clubs there. Just hate to see someone feel pressured by sales tactics and trackman numbers and regret after not thinking over if that’s what you really want.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I got fitted for the whole bag at a Club Champion recently and you'll hit a TON of balls. I would recommend taking Tylenol or something before you go. Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and bring plenty of water. My fitting was indoors and that hitting bay got hot fast.

Bringing an extra glove might be a good idea too. I ended up with a blister on my thumb from sweating too much in my glove.

Also, as others have said, I think it's best to go into it with an open mind about brands and not care what head/shaft the fitter is handing you. Let the numbers/feel decide for you.

Have fun!

This. You will hit a ton of balls. You will get tired. Your fitter will likely recommend starting with the driver first, listen to him. hitting short irons when you're tired is far easier than swinging the big stick.

I was just fitted for the first time ever for driver, woods, and irons (ran out of time for the putter and I'm keeping my wedges...for now). I was fitted at a Callaway Performance Center, but the Rep worked for the shop, not Callaway, so we tested several different brand, model and shaft combinations.

It was an eye opening experience that left me feeling like I should have gone years ago. I went in knowing I was going to buy, but I used the advice of my fitter, combined with my own gut to make the best decision for each club. When I walked out, I immediately felt better about my game. Time will tell if that confidence will be reflected on the course, but the whole experience was well worth the time and cost.

Best of Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update as of 6/11 | Fitting Complete!

First off, I want to thank everyone who was kind enough to read through my post and thank you to everyone who passed along some helpful advice. And if he ever reads this, thanks to my fitter!

An update on my experience (for those who are curious)....

Like a few of you mentioned, it was exhausting! And, as a few of you suggested, I went in with an open mind and let the fitting take its course.

An an update on what I ended up with...

For most of the equipment I tried, it came down to Titleist or Ping. While the clean-er looks of both appealed to me, their products and combos also yielded the tightest dispersion of everything I tried. To make my choices, what it boiled down to was control, and with the equipment that "won out," I chose what I was able to best control.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 9.5* A1, Rogue Black 70 Stiff, -1/2", black weight

Fairway Wood: Titleist 917F2 15* A1, Diamana D+80 Stiff, -1", blue draw weight

Hybrid (3i): Titleist 918 H1 19* A1, Rogue Black 85 Stiff, -1/2", black weight

Hybrid (4i): Titleist 918 H1 23* A1, Rogue Black 85 Stiff, -1/2", black weight

Irons: 718 AP2 (5i and 6i) -1/2", 1* strong: 718 CB (7i-PW), 2* strong; all AMT S300 White

Yes, I know it's an all Titleist bag - which goes against the principles of many WRXers! - but I promise I went in with an open mind!

My thoughts on my first ever fitting...

Okay, now I completely understand why many think it's irresponsible and detrimental to your game to not get fit if you have the chance.

From Driver down to 6i, I always struggled with getting comfortable in my set-up posture. For some background on me (and not to humblebrag), but I'm about 30 years young, 5'10"-5'11", and a former D1 athlete (soccer), so if anything, I felt given my athletic history, I could at least get the set-up right! During my swing, I always felt I stood very vertical with the longer clubs, and I struggled to properly rotate my body on its axis. I always thought it was more of a flaw in my swing mechanics, and I did not think to articulate to this to my fitter during the fitting. As we went through the process, he recommended shortening these clubs and gave me a number of [shorter] shafts to try; he was able to see my struggle.

And wow... the results were incredible. To put it into perspective, I'll use the driver. With my (now) former driver, my average smash factor was about 1.45-1.46. When I went to the slightly shorter shaft, I was averaging a smash factor of about 1.48-1.49! Sure, my clubhead speed dropped a smidgen, but contrary to my own belief, I was achieving more distance (and better control!) with a shorter shaft. This held true for all of my long clubs, and I can't wait to see how these results translate to the course.

Anyway, this post is verbose but I think it captures the (almost) 4-hour experience very well. Thanks again to everyone for the advice! And to those who have never been fit, please change that if you have the means!