The Distance Thread (Really looking at your distances)

OP

I'm sorry I'm probably thick headed.

Can you please state in one or two sentences the point you're trying to make In this thread ?

Thank you.

For you Issac?

I was B#tt hurt in another thread, I cried a little, threw a fit, and decided to make my own thread to justify. :pimp:

Is that what you want to hear?

if not if you read everything you would understand, likely with your game, this thread really doesnt apply to you, but meh who knows.

I was being serious. I genuinely don't really understand what's happening in this thread but that's OK I'll go find another one .

Cheers

Issac, I am very familiar with you and your posting as i really respect it, so I apologizing, for being a little standoffish, I know you read and take post for what they are so with you asking the way you did , I "assumed" you were reading past the post and just wanted to have a little fun at my expense.

WIth that, Here is the dirty break down

1) I dont think many people know their distances

2) People over estimate the upper portion of their bag

3) People get their numbers in varies ways all which seem to show inconsistencies, so not knowing what their number are truly are

4) People are led to believe in their numbers by un-calibrated, in accurate machines. Leading to purchase distances that will never apply to them

5) Some people discuss how "surgical" their upper portion of their bag, but I dont think its as accurate in distance and dispersion and a "Range" would be a better term

Etc etc, those are my main points. I rant a little more about needless things, but its just a thread and a debatable thread.

I feel that this is a really roundabout way of saying that if you're hitting the ball poorly, take an extra club...

Now why would you post a perfectly logical assessment of only one sentence...get with the spirit of the thread and drag your answer out to at least four or five paragraphs....

Sure, Jonesy, that makes sense, but is that the answer to everything? This is the equipment forum, not the instruction side, the potential is to evaluate your distances if consistent, could a fitting, equipment change, loft checks lie checks benefit you to allow you to increase your accuracy?

*Edit* Aw Crap they moved it to the instruction forums, this thread is really going to take a nose dive.........

As for slc247, troll away my friend! You are doing a great job, I will entertain you as this is the thread I started, so you can try and hijack it and derail it all you want!. Im a jerk and we "made up" in another thread LOL!, Thanks slc247 for being a good sport!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the point of SGI fliers ... They are mostly getting the distance from low spin numbers (varying reasons like loft & head design) ... lets make this situational ... I play golf in rural Ireland, its wet, windy & the rough is long. A said SGI 7i is spinning at 5600 for me off a mat in a driving range, dry ball, dry clubface. That same strike from the long wet grass, downhill, downwind ... that thing is spinning maybe <2000RPM .... its going to go an absolute mile!

I know someone will say that this could happen with any head design, but the point is, Id rather start with a higher spinning iron, also a smaller clubhead that will have as little contact with the grass as possible & give me the best chance of a ball that might stop on the green!

Modern SGI irons dont have "hotspots" but 5 or 6 years ago I'd argue that they did.... Yes ... I'm looking at you Taylormade Burners :taunt:

This is the "fun" debate, I have been going back and forth with this for a long time, since I joined this forum. Excatly what you stated, the unintended reduction of spin, you did not expect that shot to happen, but it did, or you did not take that factor into account when you struck the shot (due to the lie), Its not a "hot" spot as the clubs does not change its metallurgical properties, mid swing, the swing applied or the condition changed the flight of the ball.

As for the Burners, I had them and as I eluded I was a believer of the hotspot, but now understanding, COR, CT, Loft, and the effects of a swing to the ball at impact, a hot spot is not a cause of an "errant" shot or a missed judged shot! :taunt:

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Part 1 for mn44

I don't agree at all to your theory. My 3 wood carry # on solid strikes is 250, my 3 iron is 210. I can hit my # with my 3wood 9/10 times at a minimum, but with my 3 iron I'd drop the odds I hit my # to about 7/10. Both of these clubs when hit solid will have very similar dispersion (carry). I'm much more confident hitting my 3wood consistently than my 3 iron.

Also, the bs about distances on here is so overblown. I live in the PNW where it is constantly cold, wet, windy, no roll, and heavy air. If I play in TX, CA, Colorado, etc. on a hot day, I'd add 10-15 yards carry and about 20 more of roll (off the tee) to my distances. I went to school in CA and it was stupid how much further the ball goes there. Those that run to the PGA Trackman averages also completely ignore this. Those #s that are always posted here do not take into account weather, temperatures, altitude, conditions, etc. The PGA tour intentionally plans tournaments to be played in the best possible weather, hence why these early season events tend to be in Hawaii, LA (although the storm screwed that up!), etc. The guys play in pristine conditions most of the time, so those trackman #s understate what actually happens on the course.

I never understand why people get so obsessed about distance on the internet. There are so many factors involved (including how honest that person is being) that it is essentially irrelevant. All that matters is how far you need to hit the current shot you're standing over, and picking the proper club for that shot given the current conditions.

And that is ok, your opinion is your opinion, I did not expect this to be universal and a one size fits all thread. I will say this, realistically speaking.

I intend to use this thread for myself as well, to really settle in on a happy median,

I would not be surprised 2 months later I revise the listed distances and something changed in my swing, either longer or shorter... that is why I have a day job, but in all honest opinion, if you do not even know what your base lines and reliable base lines are for your clubs, how do play golf LOL?

I mean even if there is wind.... its a 125 yards, because you dont keep track you can hit a 4,5,6,7,8,9 iron 125 yards at any point in time to give you the most optimal chance at scoring? You sir are incredible and special at that! With that reading your response you missed the point of this thread.

I am NOT talking how long you can hit it, exactly what you stated in your last statement is what the point of this thread was about, "picking the proper club for the shot given the current conditions" You said it, i said that, I am agree, so not sure what you are actually disagree with me about?

The whole diminishing returns stuff is completely untrue.

Yes and your statement, speaks volume, "Its untrue" because you say it is, at least give your statement a fighting change give some examples, As unfortunately, the longer PGA tour pros go, the wilder they get and with that, same with amateurs, +handicaps, scratch handicappers, I dont know ANY player in my entire life, that hits a Driver straighter dead on with a precise distance, better than their LW,SW,GW or PW......

LOL, I would bet you hit your lower irons, with better distance control and direction than you do with your driver.

*edit* I re-read your post, You are unique, if you have that ability, Thats great you have more consistency with your 3wood, than you do your other irons, That, I would say is rare, But then I ask you this questions, Do you not see this as something to work for to increase? Why are you more consistent with your 3 wood then your other clubs?

Are the clubs fit wrong, are you swinging different, Could you setup your clubs similar to feel like your 3wood and swing all your clubs super consistent?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Part 2 as I cant quote the whole thing , what a waste of time, but its all good, I enjoy this

By your own logic, you're saying its untrue because you say it is. See how crazy that sounds? If you lack cognitive flexibility to even consider the fact that you may be wrong, then you are hampering your ability to improve. In addition, it just makes your 'opinion' posts completely meaningless.

Your counter argument is you don't know anyone who hits a driver as consistent as a lob wedge? I never said those words, and neither has anyone else in this thread. Your point is irrelevant.

3 woods are incredibly easy to hit. Ever notice the trend lately of people ditching 2, 3, 4, and sometimes even 5 irons to put more woods and hybrids in their bag? Ever wonder why that is? They are simply easier to hit for many players. This fact goes against your core argument.

Before this gets derailed, Lets see if we can address the topic?

Do you know your distances?

Are you comfortable with your distances?

Are they confirmed on course with accuracy?

If yes to all, then you are good? No point in getting into a pissing contest with you.

With that My theory about diminishing return at the top of the bag, is generally speaking, Same with many discussions here, there are many unique players and abilities that just go against the mold high handicappers playing better with blades, scatch players playing better with SGI and hybrids,

But generally speaking, the bottom of the bag is much more reliable to collect and validate distance. The upper end of the bag is much harder to collect this data, along with being accurate in both distance control and dispersion control in comparison to the bottom of the bag. If you feel this theory is wrong please feel free to address why its wrong as by data, statitics and people that play golf this holds true, Diminishing returns on the upper end. again, A consistent swing applied to a PW will likely have better distance control and dispersion than a 7iron, with that a 7iron will have better dispersion and distance control than a 5 wood and so forth, if this is wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

You can call me names and all kinds of other stuff, I really dont care, but if you want to debate/discuss something then discuss it rather just saying Im untrue?

Lets start there and then we can discuss my driver vs LW and the Woods & Hybrids to replace a 2,3,4,5,6,7 iron.......... as that really has nothing to do with my topic.

I didn't call you any kind of name. You were the one unwilling to have a logical discussion, which is exactly what I pointed out. You replied to this by getting upset and using all caps, etc. Take a step back and re-read your own posts man....unreal!

1) You posted how you disagree, I acknowledge, provided a response and clarified that we may be agreeing, and clarified, my points asked you another question

2) You replied again with un true, thats it....no response, no "logical or cognitive" response as you like to say

3) I asked for substance why you think its untrue, in comparison to the rest of the world, I acknowledge that you may be unique and do not apply to my theory sure, but the rest of the world, might be a little different from you. You avoid it still have not responded

4) I typed 4 different responses, to you last night, I deleted them all and settled on the "higher" road to ask you a specific question direct to this thread, not to continue the instigation, and you have not responded, yet again stated, how I am unwilling to have a logical debate, getting upset (in which way?) and using all caps? (Im looking at my post, THIS IS ALL CAPS, which none of my post are?)

Who and what thread are you responding to sir, because I am not sure what your intent is??? Its all good again, because this is my thread I will entertain you too that choose to criticize rather than debate, or add substance, its fine. Im sad to think that the intent is to share a little knowledge that was passed to me, but people like you and yes I am calling you out, would rather drag a person through the mud, then to "correct" them and enlightened them.....

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I don't think about distance in the same way as OP.

I think about dispersion.

Shorter irons is about controlling distance (front to rear) whereas longer shorts is more about side to side variability because of spin differences.

If I have a tucked pin up front at say 148 yards and my 29 iron is "150 yards", I am really thinking in terms of my process capability or range of distances, which is more like 145-152 yards because the distribution of distances is skewed. So, unless my game is on, I might hit a little cut with 28 iron and be very satisfied with a 25 foot putt. If I slightly mishit the little 28 iron, I look like a hero but in either case, I have a chance at birdie.

On the other hand a 212 yard shot gets me thinking left vs right and where trouble is. If the pin is on the right and death is over there, and if I know my variance with my 24 iron is plus/minus 18 yards, my aim is 18 yards left of the pin.

It is sort of like shooting sporting clays, your shots have patterns. Shotguns and golf shots are not rifles, they are more like sprayers and some of us pray more than others.

Disclaimer: these distance figures are fictitious to protect the innocent

This is an interesting point that I have had discussion with another respected member about this (PM & Email), In my mind as in a previous life, accuracy on the first shot was important, but realistically, having this first shot be as accurate all the time, is not realistic, (Holing out everything from every position on the course) but putting yourself in positions to make the shot most advantageous for you to score is.

With that I understand where you are coming from and we are on the same page just discussing, apples and oranges.

The lower portion of the bag, can be accurate distance wise, but yes, the upper portion lies more in ranges of distance and accuracy dispersion wise,is critical. So I totally agree!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

For the longest time, I basically got my distances by essentially making a guess based on recent rounds, and would adjust based on what I hit on the first hole or two, and calibrate the bag in 10 yard increments from there. The only number I had to have for driver was a comfortable carry distance, and I always was conservative with that.

About 5 years ago, I was able to hit on a Trackman and get accurate averages for my 3, 5, and 7 irons (210 3-iron, 190 5 iron, so on). I played that until I picked up 1.5 to to clubs distance for a season. Then I was back to the round by round calibration.

Truth be told, that's all I feel I really need at my level of skill and playing frequency.

For what it worth, I have noticed the following during my 50+ years playing at the game including untold rounds in my looping youth.

Higher handicap players way under club into the wind with short irons. It doesn't matter with long irons cuz they ain't hitting the green anyway from 200 yards. They balloon 130-150 yard shots swinging too hard with the same club or maybe 1 more club into a 2-3 club wind. It is not unusual for me to be hitting two full clubs more into the wind than a higher handicap player that I can absolutely blow it by them. Whats the saying, when its breezy swing easy.

Or the impact of any uphill lie on carry

Or the impact of a downhill lie on carry

Or the impact of a sidehill lie on carry

Impact of lie on carry

Impact of moisture on carry

Impact of temperature, humidity (everyone gets this one wrong), and elevation on carry

Impact of different golf balls on carry

Impact of how much beer you drank last night on carry

Its complicated. using numbers from the driving range is funny.

Part 2 as I cant quote the whole thing , what a waste of time, but its all good, I enjoy this

By your own logic, you're saying its untrue because you say it is. See how crazy that sounds? If you lack cognitive flexibility to even consider the fact that you may be wrong, then you are hampering your ability to improve. In addition, it just makes your 'opinion' posts completely meaningless.

Your counter argument is you don't know anyone who hits a driver as consistent as a lob wedge? I never said those words, and neither has anyone else in this thread. Your point is irrelevant.

3 woods are incredibly easy to hit. Ever notice the trend lately of people ditching 2, 3, 4, and sometimes even 5 irons to put more woods and hybrids in their bag? Ever wonder why that is? They are simply easier to hit for many players. This fact goes against your core argument.

Before this gets derailed, Lets see if we can address the topic?

Do you know your distances?

Are you comfortable with your distances?

Are they confirmed on course with accuracy?

If yes to all, then you are good? No point in getting into a pissing contest with you.

With that My theory about diminishing return at the top of the bag, is generally speaking, Same with many discussions here, there are many unique players and abilities that just go against the mold high handicappers playing better with blades, scatch players playing better with SGI and hybrids,

But generally speaking, the bottom of the bag is much more reliable to collect and validate distance. The upper end of the bag is much harder to collect this data, along with being accurate in both distance control and dispersion control in comparison to the bottom of the bag. If you feel this theory is wrong please feel free to address why its wrong as by data, statitics and people that play golf this holds true, Diminishing returns on the upper end. again, A consistent swing applied to a PW will likely have better distance control and dispersion than a 7iron, with that a 7iron will have better dispersion and distance control than a 5 wood and so forth, if this is wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

You can call me names and all kinds of other stuff, I really dont care, but if you want to debate/discuss something then discuss it rather just saying Im untrue?

Lets start there and then we can discuss my driver vs LW and the Woods & Hybrids to replace a 2,3,4,5,6,7 iron.......... as that really has nothing to do with my topic.

I didn't call you any kind of name. You were the one unwilling to have a logical discussion, which is exactly what I pointed out. You replied to this by getting upset and using all caps, etc. Take a step back and re-read your own posts man....unreal!

Again like slc247, since this is my thread, Ill entertain you,

1) You posted how you disagree, I acknowledge, provided a response and clarified that we may be agreeing, and clarified, my points asked you another question

2) You replied again with un true, thats it....no response, no "logical or cognitive" response as you like to say

3) I asked for substance why you think its untrue, in comparison to the rest of the world, I acknowledge that you may be unique and do not apply to my theory sure, but the rest of the world, might be a little different from you. You avoid it still have not responded

4) I typde 4 different responses, to you last night, I deleted them all and settle on the "higher" road to ask you a specific question direct to this thread, not to continue the instigation, and you have not responded but again, stated, how I am unwilling to have a logical explication, getting upset (in which way?) and using all caps? (Im looking at my post, THIS IS ALL CAPS, which know of my post are?)

Who and what thread are you responding to sir, because I am not sure what your intent is??? Its all good again, because this is my thread I will entertain you too that choose to criticize rather than debate, or add substance, its fine. Im sad to think that the intent is to share a little knowledge that was passed to me, but people like you and yes I am calling you out, would rather drag a person through the mud, then to "correct" them and enlightened them.....

How do you expect to have a reasonable discussion when the second someone disagrees with something you said, you make up stuff about name calling and dragging your name through the mud? All I did was disagree with you and point out where you were wrong. Instead of discussing the matter you chose to play the victim card and make s*** up. I never said those things you are accusing me of. All I did was disagree with you and you lost your s*** because of it. Amazing.

How do you expect to have a reasonable discussion when the second someone disagrees with something you said, you make up stuff about name calling and dragging your name through the mud? All I did was disagree with you and point out where you were wrong. Instead of discussing the matter you chose to play the victim card and make s*** up. I never said those things you are accusing me of. All I did was disagree with you and you lost your s*** because of it. Amazing.

Still waiting........ you have yet to respond to any of my responses I highlighted them all for you, Never once have I used explicit language, nor made any negative or direct derogatory remarks like you have, my losing my stuff? Have you looked in the mirror? Have you looked at your post, I highlighted them very clearly for you. I responded fairly and respectfully with "That is your opinion" and that is OK...... pretty gentle, and non inflammatory...

Yet again, you make a post, "its untrue" with nothing else, in which I ask for substance, I edited my post just for you as I took the time to re read all your responses to see if I could grasp any substance, and you chose to criticism me with the "lack of cognitive flexibility"

I then take the higher road to keep it on topic and ask you a specific question in relation to the topic, and you tell me I dont want to have a logical discussion and using all caps? Not sure where that is, and what thread you are looking at, with that still No response as to why I am wrong and if you relate or do not relate to the "topic" at hand.

But your attitude, lack of response and escalation can only lead no where, the fact you have reached a point where you need to use explicit language to express yourself is quite disappointing as this is a golf thread, and I do not intend to ever get someone so mad that they have to escalate their intent.

With that, I wish you and your family a wonderful 2017, I hope your golfing goes well and you shoot low scores! Good Luck my friend!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Is it OK to point out the diminishing returns within 100 yards that exist for some?

Some golfers don't do well with partial shots.

And some golfers don't do well with full shots with LW, SW, or even GW.

This can be a more frustrating problem than the diminishing returns at long range, that most golfers do expect.

Is it OK to point out the diminishing returns within 100 yards that exist for some?

Some golfers don't do well with partial shots.

And some golfers don't do well with full shots with LW, SW, or even GW.

This can be a more frustrating problem than the diminishing returns at long range, that most golfers do expect.

ABSOLUTELY! This is an extremely fair assessment, "Diminishing returns" were just one facet of my discussion. Surely, we can bring partial shots/controlled shots.

I for one lack this and struggle immensely. I have reached out to players on this forum for this exact advice.

This is again though a point to the main portion of the topic. If I "know" my distances and correct distance, is there a way I can play golf to take advantage of my strong points while avoiding my weak points until I either improve them or just stay far away from them.

If you asked me if I had a 130 club, I would say heck no, and my only response would be I would need to hit my PW a little harder or my 9iron a little softer, but would it end up at 130 yards, honestly, I have know Idea, I would be happy if it hits the green and gives me a 2 putt chance.

This again though is a point to knowing this distance, if I struggle with certain shots, would it be better to lay off the tee with a shorter club on a short Par 4, in the other thread I used a really good example,

A player has a range of 180-240 3 wood, meaning, with a good shot, they can hit it 240, if they miss it, it could be as short as 180, their middle of the road is 220 carry. If a water hazard is 200 carry infront of them but the water is 40 yards wide, meaning 160-200 carry, if the player mishits the ball they are wet, if they hit it good or hit it great they clear it no problem.

The "ego" shot is to go for it, the calculated shot, is to lay up and take the potential 180 completely out. this is course management and playing to the variance of these numbers, Same with shorter clubs as well (NOT limited to just longer irons) I highlight "diminishing returns" on the upper clubs, because generically speaking the stats dont lie about that and a little easier to represent, What would you rather choose to hit a 4iron or a PW into a green?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Still waiting........ you have yet to respond to any of my responses I highlighted them all for you, Never once have I used explicit language, nor made any negative or direct derogatory remarks like you have, my losing my stuff? Have you looked in the mirror? Have you looked at your post, I highlighted them very clearly for you. I responded fairly and respectfully with "That is your opinion" and that is OK...... pretty gentle, and non inflammatory...

Yet again, you make a post, "its untrue" with nothing else, in which I ask for substance, I edited my post just for you as I took the time to re read all your response to see if I could grasp any substance for you, and you chose to criticism me with the "lack of cognitive flexibility"

I then take the higher road to keep it on topic and ask you a specific question in relation to the topic, and you tell me I dont want to have a logical discussion and using all caps? Not sure where that is, and what thread you are looking at, with that still No response as to why I am wrong and if you relate or do not relate to the "topic" at hand.

But your attitude, lack of response and escalation can only lead no where, the fact you have reached a point where you need to use explicit language to express yourself is quite disappointing as this is a golf thread, and I do not intend to ever get someone so mad that they have to escalate their intent.

With that, I wish you and your family a wonderful 2017, I hope your golfing goes well and you shoot low scores! Good Luck my friend!

Its amazing how upset you got because I disagreed with you and pointed out specific reasons as to why. You refused to reply to any of my points, instead you just made stuff up. Why bother trying to create a discussion thread if you are completely unwilling to discuss it? The only thing you have been willing to do is lie and make personal attacks simply because I disagreed with you.

This forum needs an age limit.

Well, that was awkward.

How do you think I feel? Im so confused at what I said, all caps, making things up, refusing to reply? I am not sure what the heck is going on LOL!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Yes, we are obsessed with distance...and IMHO most of our games suffer as a result. However, and this may seem extremely over-simplified, if a golfer plays the correct tees then he need not be so concerned about distance, because the golfer will already have all the distance he needs. However, if the golfer plays too far back, then yes distance is a huge concern, for example if he is hitting fairway woods or hybrids into most par 4's he definitely needs to add distance if he wants to score.

For many a golfer it's not a poor swing, poor equipment, etc., that doesn't allow them to score better...it's their ego.

I feel that this is a really roundabout way of saying that if you're hitting the ball poorly, take an extra club...

Now why would you post a perfectly logical assessment of only one sentence...get with the spirit of the thread and drag your answer out to at least four or five paragraphs....

Sure, Jonesy, that makes sense, but is that the answer to everything? This is the equipment forum, not the instruction side, the potential is to evaluate your distances if consistent, could a fitting, equipment change, loft checks lie checks benefit you to allow you to increase your accuracy?

*Edit* Aw Crap they moved it to the instruction forums, this thread is really going to take a nose dive.........

As for slc247, troll away my friend! You are doing a great job, I will entertain you as this is the thread I started, so you can try and hijack it and derail it all you want!. Im a jerk and we "made up" in another thread LOL!, Thanks slc247 for being a good sport!

By all means go have a fitting, check your loft and lies and shaft lengths and shaft weights and grip sizes and swingweights and whatever else, fact of the matter is at the end of the day it means nothing if you're swinging poorly. Yeah maybe it'll help a little if all of those equipment factors are spot on 100% for you but it will probably be negligible, at the end of the day if you put a bad move on the ball regardless of how well set up your equipment is for you it's still going to be a bad shot. For me I determine my distances by what swing I bring on the day, if it's the good swing I know I'm sweet and if it's the bad swing well, just take an extra club and make a 3/4 swing...

Also we can't also blame range balls for anything, it's all that a lot of people have, the more time you spend on the range actually putting effort into your practice the more accustomed you will become with how range balls perform and with how different they are to your normal distance with a premium ball. Use it as a reference not an excuse.

I've been professionally fit once in my entire golfing life and I do not feel that it helped me determine anything about my game. I couldn't tell you the specs of my clubs i just know that they feel good, that's just the player I am. Range time and actually playing golf is how you build confidence about your club distances, not a spec sheet.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I saw the other thread. Now I get it.

I personally think that the important thing is to know how far your good strikes carry. From there, you figure out the likely hood of actually making a good strike. Then base your shot selection (attempting shot over water for example) from there.

I feel like I can thin-neck a 3 wood and still carry it 235 off the deck. A perfect strike carries almost exactly 255.

Over the years, I've seen 98 shots left short of the green for every 2 I've seen hit over the green. But a lot of that is simply a product of poor ball striking. The single biggest thing that stands out as a player improves is always they're ability to control distance with every club, including the putter.

I think one of the things that is often missed in these threads is that a lot of people are simply not trying to improve. They really don't care. They just like to go out there and pound it, have some social interaction, and talk about the couple of great shots they pulled off.

You can remember that one successful ripped 3 wood over the hazard from your max range for years. Who cares about all of the duffed ones? Golf is different for everyone. Lots of guys want to talk about that more than total score.

Yes, we are obsessed with distance...and IMHO most of our games suffer as a result. However, and this may seem extremely over-simplified, if a golfer plays the correct tees then he need not be so concerned about distance, because the golfer will already have all the distance he needs. However, if the golfer plays too far back, then yes distance is a huge concern, for example if he is hitting fairway woods or hybrids into most par 4's he definitely needs to add distance if he wants to score.

For many a golfer it's not a poor swing, poor equipment, etc., that doesn't allow them to score better...it's their ego.

Im going to have to give you a nod on the ego.... I will say this is more often not, with many amateurs, not necessarily high level players, but the generic once a week player. I think they have settled into what they are comfortable too and play that... But realistically speaking......if they played with a little more certainty, and again dialed themselves in they could play at a much higher level!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Driver: 275-300 carry.

3W : 250 carry

3I 235 carry (when hit good, which is RARE)

4I 225 carry

5I 210-215

6I 195-200

7I 185-190

8I 175-180

9I 160-165

PW 140-150

56 SW 105

and of course this is assuming there is no wind.

this might get some heat, but these are genuine true distances. On course and on trackman.

But like previously mentioned, there is obviously more precision in regards to the shorter clubs. I can generally rely on them to go within 5 yards of what they're supposed to. When it comes to driver and 3 wood, I can't guess quite as good.

If your list of distances is based on average shots rather than exceptional ones, you make your golf game easier. Some of my favorite rounds are when I'm a real Joe Average, just scraping it around within my own limitations and still managing to make a score. Kids regard me with reverence when this happens, which is as good an incentive as any to sharpen my groove. I digress but my point is, how can you improve your game if you don't know it in the first place? Wasn't it Clint Eastwood who said, "A golfer's got to know his distances." ?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the other thread. Now I get it.

I personally think that the important thing is to know how far your good strikes carry. From there, you figure out the likely hood of actually making a good strike. Then base your shot selection (attempting shot over water for example) from there.

I feel like I can thin-neck a 3 wood and still carry it 235 off the deck. A perfect strike carries almost exactly 255.

Over the years, I've seen 98 shots left short of the green for every 2 I've seen hit over the green. But a lot of that is simply a product of poor ball striking. The single biggest thing that stands out as a player improves is always they're ability to control distance with every club, including the putter.

I think one of the things that is often missed in these threads is that a lot of people are simply not trying to improve. They really don't care. They just like to go out there and pound it, have some social interaction, and talk about the couple of great shots they pulled off.

You can remember that one successful ripped 3 wood over the hazard from your max range for years. Who cares about all of the duffed ones? Golf is different for everyone. Lots of guys want to talk about that more than total score.

Isn't the other thread a dandy. I gave up and won't reply to him anymore.

To me, you have to base shots off solid strikes. You don't plan on mishitting it. If on a particular day you feel you're not hitting it well you might at that time adjust your club selection. But that's dangerous because that's when you do hit it flush. But you're right, you take the club that experience tells you is correct for the yardage needed, and if you miss a little it's normally short, just like you said. But it's not short because you don't know how far that club goes (his main point in the other thread).

At our course the greens are mostly open in the front. They are sloped front to back, often times with severe trouble close behind them. You cannot consistently miss long and expect to post a reasonable score. But miss short and usually a person is left with a reasonable chance of getting up and down.

I don't know why it's so difficult for some to believe that many people know their yardages.

I don't think about distance in the same way as OP.

I think about dispersion.

Shorter irons is about controlling distance (front to rear) whereas longer shorts is more about side to side variability because of spin differences.

If I have a tucked pin up front at say 148 yards and my 29 iron is "150 yards", I am really thinking in terms of my process capability or range of distances, which is more like 145-152 yards because the distribution of distances is skewed. So, unless my game is on, I might hit a little cut with 28 iron and be very satisfied with a 25 foot putt. If I slightly mishit the little 28 iron, I look like a hero but in either case, I have a chance at birdie.

On the other hand a 212 yard shot gets me thinking left vs right and where trouble is. If the pin is on the right and death is over there, and if I know my variance with my 24 iron is plus/minus 18 yards, my aim is 18 yards left of the pin.

It is sort of like shooting sporting clays, your shots have patterns. Shotguns and golf shots are not rifles, they are more like sprayers and some of us pray more than others.

Disclaimer: these distance figures are fictitious to protect the innocent

This is an interesting point that I have had discussion with another respected member about this (PM & Email), In my mind as in a previous life, accuracy on the first shot was important, but realistically, having this first shot be as accurate all the time, is not realistic, (Holing out everything from every position on the course) but putting yourself in positions to make the shot most advantageous for you to score is.

With that I understand where you are coming from and we are on the same page just discussing, apples and oranges.

The lower portion of the bag, can be accurate distance wise, but yes, the upper portion lies more in ranges of distance and accuracy dispersion wise,is critical. So I totally agree!

I think I was actually disagreeing with you.

Relative distance control is more difficult on shorter shorts whereas side to side control is relatively more challenging on longer shots.

It is about spin.

When I am really on my game, my average dispersion is around 6-7% (I strike it well) but more normally around 10%. Unlike you I can't hit 10/10 PW shots into a par 3 but I just a plus 2. Either the greens are really huge where you play or something is up. I more impressed with 100% GIR with PW than 10/10 with three wood but then again my 3 wood speed used to be 120+

My dispersion patterns are elliptical with a fat end closer and a skinny end further away. Longer shots have more squat patterns meaning the relative distance control on a percentage basis is better on long shots.

• 1 month later...

Ehhh. So I consistently hit my driver 400? No.

Do I consistently hit my 3 wood 350? No

Do I consistently hit my 3i 275? No

Have I hit each club those distances? Yes. More than a couple times each. Are there factors involved when I do? Sure. Certainly. Can I swing out of my shoes and hit those distances on a solid hit? Yes. But I'm not average. I used to compete in long drive comps and had a (long drive) driver clocked at a tick over 140 SS. Do I swing that hard on a normal basis with my regular driver? Nope. Can I come pretty close to 130 when the occasion calls for it? Yup. I'm usually closer to 120 with my driver than 130 but when conditions call for it (driveable 4, long 5, missed a 4ft birdie putt the last hole lol) I can put a little something extra on it.

Does it make me a little upset when those that can't, call those that can, liars? Certainly. I don't claim to be a great golfer. You put me on a 7500 yard course that has trees everywhere and you might as well write down 100 for my final score. You put me on the average 6000 yard course with little trouble and it's pretty easy golf when you're chipping on to most par 4's and hitting short to mid irons in to par 5's with the second shot. So yeah, I can post pretty good scores when that's the case. I've only played easy local courses so far this year and as such my scoring average is 3.3 on 3's, 4.0 on 4's, and 4.8 on 5's. It'd be easy to be proud of that but I also know that on those courses the 5's are roughly equivalent to the 4's that the pros play so in reality I'm averaging about 3.6 on par threes and 4.8 on par 4's if you were to translate those holes into what they'd be for pros. No pro is going to make a living for long playing to those scores. But it sure is fun playing a round where I don't ever hit a full iron into a "par 4".

Just don't call me a liar without knowing me. I'm not a fabulous golfer overall. I'd like to think that with unlimited time to play/practice that I could be pretty decent. But since I'll probably average a round a week and a range session a month over the next 8 months of playing season, I'll take the good with the bad. I tell my kids all the time, "there's a reason we pay to play and aren't being paid to play". The reason is, we aren't very good. I play as a single quite a bit when they're in school and I'll occasionally get paired up with someone that is very good. Yes, I'll usually out distance then, but those that are good don't let it bother them, nor are they particularly impressed by it. They'll go about their business and by the end of the round their consistency will usually do me in. I played with a guy regularly 20 years ago or so when I first started playing. He was 49 at the time and took a (unsuccessful) run at getting in the senior tour when he turned 50. He was amazing as far as his consistency. He rarely missed a fairway, a green, and I don't ever recall him three putting. In fact, I don't really recall him ever having much outside of gimme range after a first putt. 40 feet up and over a ridge and it always threatened the cup. That guy was good and if he couldn't make it on tour I know there's little prayer for me.

• 3 months later...

I'll join in and post my stats. Keep in mind...I am new to golf this year. I shoot anywhere from 108 (very good round) to 120+ (pretty typical). Yes I am a hacker I guess. But I am playing much more. I get a few rounds in during the week after work, mostly play 9. Keep in mind when I first started I was shooting 70+ when I played 9 and 140+ when playing a full round. Yikes....

LW 60*= 30-40 yards and closer

SW 56* = 40-50 yards

GW 52* = 50-60 yards, mostly used for green side chipping, also shots I do not feel comfortable using the AW

AW = 60-80 yards

PW = 105 pretty consistently with a normal temp swing

9iron = 115

8iron = 125

7iron = 135

6iron - 145

5iron - 155

4iron = 165 (I think...I don't bag this a lot)

4hybrid = 170 -180 depends on contact and roll out, have been swinging this one well...

5wood = ??? I own one but have not swung it much. TBD

3wood = 180-200 + roll out depends on my swing and contact, a bit inconsistent at the moment

Driver = carry 190 -205 + roll out, driver is a little inconsistent at the moment, definitely favors fades and slices, but lately I have been able to draw too

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

• 4 months later...

Here is my best distance chart that I have came up with. I changed my swing a little bit so it took quite awhile to get the new carry distances. My irons all carry further, while my woods stayed about the same. My under 80 yard game is absolutely dreadful because I do not play much anymore, so any layup shot is to a minimum of 80 yards if I can. All of these distances are based off of my "money" range where I get excited that I am going to hit it close with a vanilla full swing, not worrying about having to either swing a shorter club harder or back off of a longer club.

Driver - 235

4 wood - 210

Hybrid - 200

4 iron - 185

5 iron - 175

6 iron - 167

7 iron - 155

8 iron - 145

9 iron - 135

Pitching Wedge - 120

50 degree - 110

54 degree - 95

58 degree - 80

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SW - 90, 100 max

GW - 115, 125 max

PW - 130, 140 max

9i - 145, 155 max

8i - 160, 170 max

7i - 175, 185 max

6i - 190, 200 max

5i - 200, 210 max

4i - 210, 220 max

3i - 220, 230 max

18.5* DI - 235 deck, 250 tee

16.5* Hyb- 250 deck, 270 tee

Drv - 260 comfortably, 300ish max

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8