How do you feel about "long putter's"...?

Curious how you feel about long putter legality?

After watching Annie Park win today...it just reawoke the dismay about long putter use, for me.

I went thru a bout with the yips about 12-13 yrs back. I told myself I would quit golf before succumbing to the long putter.

I tried lefthand low and various other grips before going left handed putting. It was quite a long transition, but I can honestly say ?Putting is now the strength of my game!

I really feel the USGA, Royal & Ancient & PGA Tour really f--ked up!

What say you!?

They did mess up. Anchoring should be allowed.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Long putters and anchoring shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

But as they were allowed they shouldn't have suddenly just decided "you know what actually where going to ban anchoring now", i actually felt sorry for guys like Bradley and Simpson who had always done it.

Should have always had what the maximum length a putter can be and it would have saved a lot of trouble.

Watching Langer and Scott at the moment must make other pro's feel uneasy, i know it would me

I couldnt care about the one way or another. Anchor it, dont anchor it, long putter, short putter, heel shafted blade, UFO on a stick, none of it matters to me. Whatever a person feels comfortable with, use it. I personally cant putt with a long putter (broomstick, belly putter, any of them). I have a 34" heel shafted blade that I love. Just because I dont like them though, doesnt mean others done and that they shouldnt be able to use them.

The industry is merely trying to slow down and prevent the tidal wave going back into the ocean after the surge from the 80"s.

Changing rules ( including the long putter issue ) is but one being pushed to let more to "enjoy" the game. What they had lost sight was, the game is not like any other game and will never be as popular as other games, time and resources needing to accompany the game is tremendous. The life long pursue of perfection with rules attached to it were part of the charm to engage in the game. Trying to grow the game this way might just kill the goose that lay the golden egg.

Hated the anchoring. Currently hate the long putter because we’re still having to hear arguments over whether there’s a quarter of an inch between the putter and the body. It’s unfortunate that the USGA tried to split the difference instead of just banning the putter itself; it would have been cleaner and the arguments would have been long over. When’s the last time you heard a complaint about the groove rule?

I understand terrible putting and how it sucks the fun out of the game, I just went left handed in an attempt to fix my own issues, but I don’t think the broomsticks are within the spirit of the game.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

They banned side-saddle putting long ago. Seems the goal was to preserve a more traditional style, so they should've done the same with long putters that can be anchored. Just limit the putter length to something shorter (e.g. it can't go past your belly button when held vertically.)

Personally, I don't really care: allow it completely with anchoring because all these guys are essentially still anchoring, if we're honest - or - disallow it completely. We're stuck in a middle ground now that has no clarity.

They banned side-saddle putting long ago. Seems the goal was to preserve a more traditional style, so they should've done the same with long putters that can be anchored. Just limit the putter length to something shorter (e.g. it can't go past your belly button when held vertically.)

Personally, I don't really care: allow it completely with anchoring because all these guys are essentially still anchoring, if we're honest - or - disallow it completely. We're stuck in a middle ground now that has no clarity.

Side saddle putting is a legal method of putting. They banned the croquet method. I have no problem with either the anchored putting or the long putter. Anchoring, or long putters are not an instant cure. Both take a lot of practice to master. If it were that easy, or that much of an advantage, every pro would be doing it. On the club level, I've never played with a guy using a long putter that was better that an average putter. But if a long putter, or anchored putter keeps a guy from leaving the game. I am !00% with allowing them to use them.

As I stated in another such thread, the long putters where fine and legal for 25+ years and nobody said "Boo" about them. It wasn't until a few big wins, that it became an issue and it was the voicing of a couple of top name golfers, that the powers that be decided to appease them. It was fine to allow the OEM's to run away with tech advancements, after all, it was for the good of the game as they say. I was glad that PING had the cahonies to take the USGA to court on the grove issue. I just wish they would have not settled for a half victory. Funny thing is, I continue to see balls hit out of the rough and stop on a dime and that was the big taboo on the PING wedges back then. So apparently that brew ha ha was for nothing. I hope that Adam Scott starts winning big with the long putter again, just to piss of the USGA and their stupid ruling.

I never had any problem with anchoring or a belly putter--- I tried the anchored putter for a brief while and liked it on the greens but since I use a putter on the fringe a lot etc the long broomhandle did not work for me. Like You're Away stated "The USGA screwed up when they did not specify a maximum length. I have stated this before several times--- We have a lot of older retirees in this area who anchor due to the shakes from meds or nervous issues and also bad backs. A number of them were going to give up the game period when the anchoring ban took effect. Most of the courses here wisely decided to institute a "local rule" disregarding the anchoring ban for league play. Hey like I said if you want to play golf with me and want to anchor it is fine with me. If you beat me well you just beat me. I either play for fun or very low stakes these days so really I do not care. Did not care when I played the mini tours and big money matches

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

No dog in the fight here....I really have no preference. I don’t view it as much different than any other equipment advance. I also don’t like changing rules to penalize a few that have progressed their game using the club/technique in question.

People will figure out ways to progress and improve. There’s nothing wrong with doing that within the rules....but when the rules change because the rule makers didn’t see the eventuality that occurred is not the way competition should be.....”let’s keep things the way we like them to be..”

I putt with a regular putter and don’t care what anyone else uses.

i use a 38 inch counterbalance putter, i'm fine with the anchor rule in theory.

I just think the USGA did it for the wrong reasons.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For my personal game, I’m glad they banned it. I was lazy and I used one for years. It was a crutch for me and I thought I was just a bad putter and in my mind the belly putter was helping. In reality I just wasn’t focused or diligent enough to hole putts. I let it hold me back. Now I’m using a regular putter left hand low and I’m quite content. Putting is the least of my worries.

Now for the game overall, I believe that the ban was shortsighted. For many players I think it allowed them to shoot to their fullest potential and help alleviate some physical or mental problems. The long putters are not cheat codes and are no easier to use for the general golfing population than a regular putter. At this rate you might as well ban mallets and GI irons.

To me they should put a limit on the length and set it at 35-36”, as far as I’m concerned those armlock putters are anchored yet legal to play. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any recreational player with a broomstick or armlock so I don’t think it would be hurting the game in any big way. The pro’s should learn to putt with a standard length putter or find another way to make a living.

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

I was ranting about professional's when I started this thread.

If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

Thanks for everyone's opinion!

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

If it was up to me...I would say you have to hold all clubs in your hands. No grip or shaft anchored against arm, chin, belly or chest.

Recreational golfers should use whatever method or club that makes the game more fun for them.

I agree with the recreational part. Professional golfers should not influence the rules or the equipment that amateurs use. Club golfers far outnumber professionals, so the R&A and USGA etc should have amateurs in mind when they want to change something.

As for the longest club, I'm average height and can use 35" putter, what if someone taller with short arms wants a 38" putter? Or do a Sergio and snap your putter so you have to finish with three wood? Technically you can putt which ever club you like. As for anchoring against the forearm, well what if someone is choking down a wedge for an awkward chip? Oh you've brushed your wrist with the butt of the grip, therefore you've anchored.

I'm fond of the belly putter, though both mine are chopped down now so I've had to putt normally. I have an armlock putter, I find it absolutely impossible to use, the same went for the broomstick, I cannot fathom how people can putt reliably with it. The belly was the only method I had success with, likely as it was about as close to normal putting compared to the others.

Yes Mr Fuji...exactly!

I agree with the recreational part. Professional golfers should not influence the rules or the equipment that amateurs use. Club golfers far outnumber professionals, so the R&A and USGA etc should have amateurs in mind when they want to change something.

As for the longest club, I'm average height and can use 35" putter, what if someone taller with short arms wants a 38" putter? Or do a Sergio and snap your putter so you have to finish with three wood? Technically you can putt which ever club you like. As for anchoring against the forearm, well what if someone is choking down a wedge for an awkward chip? Oh you've brushed your wrist with the butt of the grip, therefore you've anchored.

I'm fond of the belly putter, though both mine are chopped down now so I've had to putt normally. I have an armlock putter, I find it absolutely impossible to use, the same went for the broomstick, I cannot fathom how people can putt reliably with it. The belly was the only method I had success with, likely as it was about as close to normal putting compared to the others.

There are plenty of tall players on Tour using a 35” putter so I don’t see that as valid argument. Perhaps these taller golfers would also like a 50” driver but I’m pretty sure there’s already a rule in place covering that. As for your point on Sergio and others who break or toss their putter intentionally during a round I’d say you’re DQ’d, might serve as a reality check for “professionals” to act in a professional manner. The gripping down on a wedge thing that would be incidental contact and not purposely cheating.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

There are plenty of tall players on Tour using a 35” putter so I don’t see that as valid argument. Perhaps these taller golfers would also like a 50” driver but I’m pretty sure there’s already a rule in place covering that. As for your point on Sergio and others who break or toss their putter intentionally during a round I’d say you’re DQ’d, might serve as a reality check for “professionals” to act in a professional manner. The gripping down on a wedge thing that would be incidental contact and not purposely cheating.

Professionals don't use long shafted drivers. They use shorter drivers than amateurs at around 44.5" because they want the control and don't need the speed. So it begs the question of what your average 20 handicapper should be using, 42-43 or their three wood. Would you suggest a DQ if the putter is damaged accidentally? I've seen hosels bend from players leaning on them getting a ball out of a hole. Or perhaps a short person, or a person with a large belly could use that 35" putter and still anchor, perhaps they don't intend to anchor, it's just incidental contact?

I have no problem with long putters. People should be able to use whatever equipment they want to if it helps them shoot lower scores and enjoy the game more. I used a belly putter for two years during high school golf and it was the best I have ever putted. The anchoring ban is one of the dumbest decisions the USGA has ever made, and that's saying something. You can't just outlaw a piece of equipment or method of using it that's been legal forever once a few guys start winning tournaments with it. Isn't that the point?? We have 460cc drivers, cavity-back irons that cover up mishits, 64 degree wedges, and golf balls that go 300+ yards, but belly putters are where the USGA draws a line?

I tried a broomstick, and living in windy country, it was useless. Did like the belly putter, and discovered, when banned, it had improved my stroke with a shorty. If the players using a long putter are following the rules, ie, no anchoring, then I have no problem with their use. As posted above, they are not a panacea for bad putting, they still require making the proper read and speed.

I wish they would retract the anchor ban OR put a definitive length limit on putters (I don’t care either way, certainly don’t mind my competitors anchoring). I don’t like the current rule because it introduces gray area into the rules.

I thought the USGA’s current mission was to clarify and simplify the rules...

Side saddle putting is a legal method of putting. They banned the croquet method. I have no problem with either the anchored putting or the long putter. Anchoring, or long putters are not an instant cure. Both take a lot of practice to master. If it were that easy, or that much of an advantage, every pro would be doing it. On the club level, I've never played with a guy using a long putter that was better that an average putter. But if a long putter, or anchored putter keeps a guy from leaving the game. I am !00% with allowing them to use them.

I'm a sidesaddle putter - so I know it's not illegal. As you stated, your foot is just not allowed to touch the target line (along with no anchoring obviously). My putter is also 46' long

They outlaw a club that was used by very few golfers yet all other equipment has made every golf course virtually obsolete for these guys!

I thing those topographical charts of the putting greens that they use is more of an unfair advantage than a long putter. Makes a bad greens reader into a great one!

The game should be about instinct and feel NOT all this technical BS