Putting Struggles

jonnyb03

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried 340, 350 and my stroke feels really unstable with those. At least with the heavy putter I don’t have to take as long of a back stroke. With the light ones I can see the outer head change paths several times.

What are you using for a grip (mostly interested in the grip weight)? How the grip/butt weight is balanced with the head weight can potentially have a big impact on path control.

might want to read this post:

http://www.golfwrx.c...g/#entry7871923

I'll go check it out
Taylormade M1
Titleist 913F 13*
Mizuno MP-54
Vokey 52 and 56
Piretti Potenza II

Distance control has been a issue I've dealt with in the past 2-3 years because I feared 3 putting. As a result, I was lagging EVERTYTHING and very rarely making much outside of 10' because everything was dying at or just before the hole. Now, I play a little less break and hit putts much firmer, with an aggressiveness to make them(barring an extremely long one that's not likely).

My mantra to begin a round is "get the ball past the hole" and I play this aggressive style until I blow one by 5+ feet. At least this way I have the opportunity to make more on the first putt and can back off, conservatively, if I indeed find myself with the first 3-putt of the day. For the record, the amount of 1 putts this ideology has scored me outweighs the number of three putts it's caused.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

1. If it’s just distance control then go to a lighter putter.

2. I’d recommend getting fitted. Most stock putters don’t have enough loft on them. Going to 5 or 6 degrees of loft could be a game changer if you aren’t getting a good roll. Use a ball with a thick line on it and hit putts seeing if the ball rolls end over end.

3. Putting tempo is a huge deal. Pros have a 2:1 ratio of backstroke to through stroke. Get blast golf (it will also tell you if you have consistent rotation in your stroke for a square face)

4. Learn about fall lines. When you aim you should hit your putt to the point where the ball starts decelerating and falling.

5. The putting books by Dave Stockton Jr and Stan Utley would be valuable resources

When I was fitted, best distance control came from a heavier putter wirh more counterweight to give the putter balance. Fitter said it is not optimal to feel like the putter is heavy. You want the weight to be there but not necessarily feel it for best control.

I had been using 340-350g putters with standard weight grips. My fit was a 375 gram wide blade head wirh a 100 gram grip plus a 30 gram weight under my lower hand. Not only that, but only 1 degree of loft. I am not a pendulum putter. I feel like it is too rigid and mechanical. I have short backstroke and a little longer on the follow through. This weight arrangement has been excellent. My distance control near or long is so much better.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

This is going to sound crazy, but I got a breakthrough golf stability shaft and it has revolutionized my putting. I have it in an evnroll er1.2

Can you tell me more about the shaft? Thanks

I have used it for 3 rounds and not one three putt. It might be in my head but it has made my evnroll feel godly. Basically it is just a super stiff graphite shaft that is suppose to deliver the putter head more consistently.

http://breakthroughgolftech.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've concluded mallets do not help me. I end up putting the same over time. It's tension that kills me. My issue is relaxing over the ball when I struggle. I am a terrific practice green putter though.

Its like we are the same person, because this sounds totally like me. I have battled the yips on and off for about 10 years. Practice green is all good, on the course a mess. Sadly putting was my strength for 30 years, but the last ten have been trying. Lagging from 10 feet because I can't make a 18 inch putt coming back is the worst. I have tried every style of putter, with short term gains, that quickly fade. I have gone back to my old Odyssey Black 6, and am living with some 3 putts. In the Indian vs Arrow debate, it is clearly Indian here.

I've concluded mallets do not help me. I end up putting the same over time. It's tension that kills me. My issue is relaxing over the ball when I struggle. I am a terrific practice green putter though.

Its like we are the same person, because this sounds totally like me. I have battled the yips on and off for about 10 years. Practice green is all good, on the course a mess. Sadly putting was my strength for 30 years, but the last ten have been trying. Lagging from 10 feet because I can't make a 18 inch putt coming back is the worst. I have tried every style of putter, with short term gains, that quickly fade. I have gone back to my old Odyssey Black 6, and am living with some 3 putts. In the Indian vs Arrow debate, it is clearly Indian here.

Have you tried back weighting? I used to be terrible on the greens, until I dropped 100g in the butt end of my putter.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Yes, I strongly recommend a mallet putter for better distance control. This was my only putting weakness and it has done wonders for me the past year.

I can putt great with a blade I just can’t make putts. I put a good stroke on the ball and burn edges all day. I lag it to 6 inches from 45 feet. I just don’t make putts with a blade. I have been a mallet putter for most of my life with a few stubborn stints going to blade but always come back. I have a TM Spider OS now and I love it, it has been money for me. IMO a mallet does a couple things. One, it is SOooo much easier to align. A good sight line helps of course. Two, it practically swings itself down and through the line. That means all you have to do is be a halfway decent green reader and practice speed control. It also make the short putts so much easier.

I"m not a good putter but I'm better if I focus on the ball. I mean really stare at it and don't move my head or eyes through the stroke. Keep still. Just move the shoulders. It's worked wonders for me.

I switched to a mallet. Still have my old Anser at home and practice with it on the living room carpet. The face of that thing wiggles all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely can’t putt with any type of non mallet putter. The original 2ball changed golf for me. I’m a very average putter with any type of mallet I try. I went on a vacation and rented clubs. Pretty much same for me tee to green but I had about 8 3putts with the ping anser putter I had. Even from 3 feet I felt like I had no idea where I was aimed.

best putter I know and our current club Champ (who happened to knock me out 2&1) and our current city champ uses one of those 2 ball putters from back in the day. The thing has to be over 15 years old now and it looks like it as he never uses a cover. Looks beat but I doubt he will ever change it and I would use it in a heart beat if I could putt like him with it.

Still recommend looking at a side saddle. Especially anyone that talks about struggling with tension. I feel no tension when putting this way, just straight back and straight through, its really simple. Takes some getting used to, but trust me, as someone with a hitchey stroke that was borderline yippy, I haven't really thought about going back to a short putter at all.

I always liked the picture of "imagine Picasso trying to paint with 2 hands, so why try to "paint" in your golf game using 2 hands for such fine motor skills involved in putting" Not sure who said that or where I read/heard it, but it makes sense to me.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Distance control has been a issue I've dealt with in the past 2-3 years because I feared 3 putting. As a result, I was lagging EVERTYTHING and very rarely making much outside of 10' because everything was dying at or just before the hole. Now, I play a little less break and hit putts much firmer, with an aggressiveness to make them(barring an extremely long one that's not likely).

My mantra to begin a round is "get the ball past the hole" and I play this aggressive style until I blow one by 5+ feet. At least this way I have the opportunity to make more on the first putt and can back off, conservatively, if I indeed find myself with the first 3-putt of the day. For the record, the amount of 1 putts this ideology has scored me outweighs the number of three putts it's caused.

This is a true story. When you lag everything 1 ft short to avoid 3-putts, they never go in! HA! I struggle with this myself. It takes a conscious effort to try to hit it PAST the hole, especially on slow greens.

One trick I've been experimenting with is to see the "line" of the putt (never really changes) and then pretend the cup is 2 or 3 ft past the actual cup on the same visualized line and try to "lag" it into the imaginary cup. Its basically tying to hit it 2-3 ft past the hole, but this is a different philosophy that works for my brain! HA HA!

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

My new green reading technique has me more confident these days. I'm putting so much better and total feet of putts made each round is greater by far. Confidence in the line/break is half my battle, then its all about just hitting it where the line on the ball is pointed.

I'll cry if they ever deem the alignment line on the ball illegal!!!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick