What is with the Hating on the USGA?

InTheHole

They are pretentious and out of tune with the modern players. Pack of power hungry geeks.

Geeks tend to provide data for their statements. The USGA just says things are horrible and need to be changed without going into much detail.

So please provide specific examples of the USGA saying things are horrible. Please, for frostfield, how SHOULD they conduct their business? What, in your opinion, SHOULD they do about equipment, about rules, about handicaps, that would be less "power hungry", and more in tune with modern players? Its certainly easy to find things to complain about, I know there are a few things I dislike, but how would you do better?

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boys are pissed they cant wear shorts....

It’s 65 degrees. Thy are wearing long sleeves today. Wtf ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

They started their bad PR campaign with the groove rule in my opinion. Then the abortion that was chambers bay greens. Last year it was birdie fest Erin hills.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

They are pretentious and out of tune with the modern players. Pack of power hungry geeks.

Geeks tend to provide data for their statements. The USGA just says things are horrible and need to be changed without going into much detail.

So please provide specific examples of the USGA saying things are horrible. Please, for frostfield, how SHOULD they conduct their business? What, in your opinion, SHOULD they do about equipment, about rules, about handicaps, that would be less "power hungry", and more in tune with modern players? Its certainly easy to find things to complain about, I know there are a few things I dislike, but how would you do better?

Davis said the modern ball's effect on the game was "horrible", and said that it had cost people billions of dollars.

He did not elaborate on which clubs spent that money to modify their courses (were they mostly high end courses flush with cash and wealthy members, my guess is yes). He did not mention if courses going out of business had spent any money modifying their course due to the ball (my guess is no)

He talked about costs without specifying who was ponying up the money. He said the effect on the game was horrible but did not mention why beyond money without even explaining the money part in detail. Trackman data shows the average golfer drives it like 220yds, that's real data they shared. How many courses are obsolete now for someone who drives it 220? Zero courses?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The boys are pissed they cant wear shorts....

It's 65 degrees. Thy are wearing long sleeves today. Wtf ?

biting Gnats ... swarms of em' buzzin round like vultures. Oh wait that's the media.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Square groove ruling which did nothing. Anchor ban which made the game less enjoyable for some amateur golfers. Talk of rolling back the ball for all golfers. Rules fiascos at mens and women's opens. What he was told about poor treatment of veterans, and lack of water at a hot and humid women's open. My father was a volunteer at a USGA event in the DC area, and it was also very hot, and the USGA was very lax in getting water to volunteers. The first part of this post was about some of the things Haney called the USGA out about.

THIS^^^

Plus, there’s a lot of hate coming from amateurs with all the nonsense and consternation around USGA rules.

The USGA had a terrific opportunity recently to simplify the rules and while they added some rule changes that made some sense, they didn’t address others that both pros and amateurs thought should be changed and more importantly, they never came back with a significantly simpler and more concise version of the rules. For many, reading through the rules is akin to reading through Homer Kelley’s The Golfing Machine. Painful and in some cases indecipherable unless you spend most of your waking hours studying the rules.

The USGA could have come up with a much more digestible set of rules that everyone can easily understand but that still hasn’t happpen. Let’s face it, the rules are arcane, poorly worded and open to interpretation in many cases. Witness the multitude of rules based topics that come up here on WRX and on one simple rules question, you can get 20 or more different answers.

If the pros can’t get it right and very often make wrong calls with respect to the rules, that’s bound to create some angst against the governing parties that authored the rules.

Is it because the Tour players have become a bunch of little bitches? The US Open is supposed to be tough. Yes, Chambers was a bad call, and Erin was a joke, but everyone played the same course. I grew up playing Shinnecock Hills. They could protect par if they wanted to. We'll see how it plays out!.....

Everyone did not play the same course in 2004. Every few groups got the benefit of the green being syringed of the previous group showed it was out of control.

Did they learn??

https://www.yardbarker.com/mobile/content/article/s1_12680_26610020

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Is it because the Tour players have become a bunch of little bitches? The US Open is supposed to be tough. Yes, Chambers was a bad call, and Erin was a joke, but everyone played the same course. I grew up playing Shinnecock Hills. They could protect par if they wanted to. We'll see how it plays out!.....

I find the complaining about courses to be a tad repetitive and annoying too. Players tend to nitpick a couple of things and then post them on twitter or whatever. A couple of years ago there was the video of the player showing a ball rolling for 10 yards past the hole on the practice green, or the guy dribbling a golf ball on the grass to show how hard it was.....but once the tournament started you didn't see stuff like that

I actually think the USGA has done a good job setting up courses and thinking progressively , Davis has pioneered adding drive-able par 4's most years etc....

But they are just such idiots in other ways it's hard to like them. I mean when they were like "We've listened to Dustin Johnson, we've listened to his playing partner, we've listened to the rules official on the course, everyone says he did nothing wrong.....that being said, we're giving him a penalty 'cause you know, we can do that sh*t if we want"....I mean they deserve to be ridiculed

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Haney went off on them for not giving a bigger discount or free tickets to the veterans for getting into the US women's Open. That guy who calls his show is pretending to be Mike Davis. Her refers to him as the "Fake Mike Davis". I don't think Mike Davis has ever actually called the show. Haney really dislikes the USGA for all of the usual reasons.

Active duty and retired military with an ID can get in free to any practice round, no limit. With an ability to buy 4 tickets for friends and family who want to go with them, at half-price.

Does the U.S. Open offer a military ticket discount?

Yes, our military discount policy applies to the practice round days of the U.S. Open Championship for ACTIVE and RETIRED military. The military ticket policy covers all branches of service including Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, the National Guard and Reserves.

• Tickets for Active Military are complimentary and can only be obtained at Will Call on June 11-13 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). In addition, Active Military can purchase up to four (4) Practice Round tickets per day for family or friends at half price.

• Tickets for Retired Military can be purchased at Will Call on June 11-13 at half price. In addition, Retired Military can purchase up to four (4) additional Practice Round tickets for family or friends for half price.

Active and Retired Military need to show military identification AND regular photo identification at Will Call in order to receive the military tickets for any of the practice round days.

Tickets for military will always be available on the practice round days.

Thanks for practice round tickets......oh yeah, 1/2 price, cause I'm retired and should pay more??

I challenge anyone from the USGA to call Hank Haney and explain this on air.

Haney went off on them for not giving a bigger discount or free tickets to the veterans for getting into the US women's Open. That guy who calls his show is pretending to be Mike Davis. Her refers to him as the "Fake Mike Davis". I don't think Mike Davis has ever actually called the show. Haney really dislikes the USGA for all of the usual reasons.

Active duty and retired military with an ID can get in free to any practice round, no limit. With an ability to buy 4 tickets for friends and family who want to go with them, at half-price.

Does the U.S. Open offer a military ticket discount?

Yes, our military discount policy applies to the practice round days of the U.S. Open Championship for ACTIVE and RETIRED military. The military ticket policy covers all branches of service including Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, the National Guard and Reserves.

• Tickets for Active Military are complimentary and can only be obtained at Will Call on June 11-13 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). In addition, Active Military can purchase up to four (4) Practice Round tickets per day for family or friends at half price.

• Tickets for Retired Military can be purchased at Will Call on June 11-13 at half price. In addition, Retired Military can purchase up to four (4) additional Practice Round tickets for family or friends for half price.

Active and Retired Military need to show military identification AND regular photo identification at Will Call in order to receive the military tickets for any of the practice round days.

Tickets for military will always be available on the practice round days.

Thanks for practice round tickets......oh yeah, 1/2 price, cause I'm retired and should pay more??

I challenge anyone from the USGA to call Hank Haney and explain this on air.

I feel i can say this as a guy who grew up under a WWII Army Air-core vet .who saw action in france , germany, and the occupation of Japan after.... .... Think about it .. if they gave out free tickets to every service person retired or active ...3/4 of the gallery would get in free . I appreciate the service and am active in supporting Veteran organizations, as well as active service people in my business.... But they cant do it for free. Not unless they set it up somehow that way.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I find the complaining about courses to be a tad repetitive and annoying too. Players tend to nitpick a couple of things and then post them on twitter or whatever. A couple of years ago there was the video of the player showing a ball rolling for 10 yards past the hole on the practice green, or the guy dribbling a golf ball on the grass to show how hard it was.....but once the tournament started you didn't see stuff like that

I actually think the USGA has done a good job setting up courses and thinking progressively , Davis has pioneered adding drive-able par 4's most years etc....

But they are just such idiots in other ways it's hard to like them. I mean when they were like "We've listened to Dustin Johnson, we've listened to his playing partner, we've listened to the rules official on the course, everyone says he did nothing wrong.....that being said, we're giving him a penalty 'cause you know, we can do that sh*t if we want"....I mean they deserve to be ridiculed

Anyone please correct me if my memory is faulty. I remember a rules official approaching DJ a few holes after the incident, telling him "hey, we're looking at it, but we don't know what we are going to do about it yet", and essentially telling the leader in the final round of a freaking US Open that he can't know where he stands, MID-ROUND, until they make a decision. "You might be ahead by one or two, but we don't know yet. Good luck on the next few holes, bro."

That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, ruling wise.

Anyone please correct me if my memory is faulty. I remember a rules official approaching DJ a few holes after the incident, telling him "hey, we're looking at it, but we don't know what we are going to do about it yet", and essentially telling the leader in the final round of a freaking US Open that he can't know where he stands, MID-ROUND, until they make a decision. "You might be ahead by one or two, but we don't know yet. Good luck on the next few holes, bro."

Yes that's what happened. They also reversed the ruling despite the rules official on course and his playing partner (Lee Westwood) saying he did not deserve a penalty.

Guy just wanted to be on TV and make a name for himself

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

agree.. I cursed my own TV out that day... literally.. I am still in disbelief that they handled it that way .. I havent renewed my usga membership since then. Until they prove they can chew gum and walk at the same time i wont. My saturday morning Dogfight would know not to hand down something like that mid round. I mean "hey man ...like we dont know what we're going to do ..but we may penalize you at some point today.. Just a heads up.. take it easy man"....

what happened was they hoped hed bail them out and penalize himself ... and when he didnt they didnt know what to do

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes that's what happened. They also reversed the ruling despite the rules official on course and his playing partner (Lee Westwood) saying he did not deserve a penalty.

To impugn the integrity of Dustin Johnson, Lee Westwood and the rules official in that group is a severe black mark on the USGA. Then they compounded the error by not being clear as to what Dustin's standing was with the rest of the field. If that penalty had cost Dustin the US Open...

Anyone complaining about a $2.1M payout to the winner?

2018 US Open purse, winner's share, prize money payout

Each professional missing the cut makes $4,000

• 1. $2,160,000
  • 2. $1,296,000
  • 3. $804,023
  • 4. $563,642
  • 5. $469,460
  • 6. $416,263
  • 7. $375,278
  • 8. $336,106
  • 9. $304,188
  • 10. $279,403
  • 11. $254,981
  • 12. $235,757
  • 13. $219,677
  • 14. $202,751
  • 15. $188,243
  • 16. $176,153
  • 17. $166,481
  • 18. $156,809
  • 19. $147,137
  • 20. $137,464
  • 21. $129,122
  • 22. $120,780
  • 23. $112,680
  • 24. $105,184
  • 25. $98,655

This payout just started because the players told Davis raise the prize money or we are not playing in your dumb arse poorly run tribute to yourself debacle

Also I recall Mike Davis was ranting about DJ's distance in his bid to get bifurcation going. This was not long after the US Open debacle. Seemed like he had some serious DJ envy going on. Basically is you try to take down a nice guy like DJ (rumours of coke, adultery notwithstanding) you're gonna cop some hate.

This is the kind of preposterously ignorant comment that should be shunned at a site like GolfWRX if it really were about high-level and high-information conversations. Certainly, little bits of that exist here.

But as for the moronic comment that Mike Davis is trying to arrange for a bifurcation of the Rules of Golf...

No one in the game has been more dismissive of any bifurcation, than Mike Davis.

I feel like Hank is always complaining about something in his show lately. Sounds like a crotchety old bastxxx.

That's kinda where I'm at with him. It's tedious to listen to him especially the way he talks, with his constant repeating of words in a sentence. And it seems he likes no one... not the USGA, not the Golf Channel announcers, etc. But all I really can think while he's talking is "Tiger fired your a** and you endorse crappy golf products." I find myself listening less and less, which is why I thought I missed something.

I'm waiting for him to yell, "get off my golf course you damn kids!"

Haney’s show needs some variation... as you say he just repeats the same crap over and over BORING

To impugn the integrity of Dustin Johnson, Lee Westwood and the rules official in that group is a severe black mark on the USGA. Then they compounded the error by not being clear as to what Dustin's standing was with the rest of the field. If that penalty had cost Dustin the US Open...

My theory is they issued the penalty only after knowing that doing so wouldn't force a playoff. Why do it at all, then? No idea.

Yeah, your memory is faulty. And so since what you have recounted, fake quotes and all, didn’t happen in that way, all the rest isn’t worth talking about.

People are critical of the USGA because they continually thrust themselves into the limelight. No other tournament do they interview the person that sets up the course daily. There is so much hype around course set up and the USGAs need to save par no matter what the weather conditions are that people get tired of it. If there isn’t much wind these guys are going to light up any course, that just how good they are. Pushing a course to the brink to try to conserve par in easy scoring conditions is always going to end up creating some miscues.

Yeah, your memory is faulty. And so since what you have recounted, fake quotes and all, didn't happen in that way, all the rest isn't worth talking about.

So, they didn't tell him during the round, while he was in contention, that he might be penalized, but might not? That's right; that's exactly what they did. I think there even was a mic on.

It was a major bungle by the USGA in a long line of bungles. Huge f-ck up.

But, maybe you can refresh my recollection on what happened. It ought to be entertaining, at least, haha!

Yeah, your memory is faulty. And so since what you have recounted, fake quotes and all, didn't happen in that way, all the rest isn't worth talking about.

So, they didn't tell him during the round, while he was in contention, that he might be penalized, but might not? That's right; that's exactly what they did. I think there even was a mic on.

But, maybe you can refresh my recollection on what happened. It ought to be entertaining, at least, haha!

That’s funny. I thought it was the British Open? But I believe your version is correct. I could never forget that. : )

That’s funny. I thought it was the British Open? But I believe your version is correct. I could never forget that. : )

I think it’s their general smugness and sense of self importance that bother me the most. The way they act like they’re the only ones who care about the integrity of the game.

It’s unfortunate that you have to watch one of the great events in golf waiting for the bureaucrats to insert themselves into the drama.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I think it’s their general smugness and sense of self importance that bother me the most. The way they act like they’re the only ones who care about the integrity of the game.

It’s unfortunate that you have to watch one of the great events in golf waiting for the bureaucrats to insert themselves into the drama.

Agreed. They also bungled a penalty at the US Women's Open that year with waiting too long to assess a penalty and notifying players out of sequence. It's basically laughable that the PGA Tour is better at applying the USGA's rules than the USGA.

My problem with the USGA starts and ends with their overwhelming arrogance. When it comes to the US Open, they always want the focus to be on them. The 2 most important elements of the week, and what the story should be all about, are the course and the players. That's what we tune in to watch. The USGA wants the story to be about them. It's like an egotistical umpire or referee at a ballgame...nobody comes to watch them.

Need more arrogance? They take world class golf courses and then demand that they be changed, tricked up, whatever you want to call it....in order to host the championship. And then they end up giving the venue a bad name. What they did at Chambers Bay could have (and in fact may have) permanently ruined that course's reputation. Will any of us ever look at Chambers Bay the same way we did prior to that fiasco? Erin Hills either???

How about the last time the Open was at Shinnecock? They tried to say that rolling the 7th green was a mistake made by the superintendent when everyone knows that the USGA controls every blade of grass on that course the week of an Open. They didn't care if they ruined his career or his reputation with his members at his club. Just another example of arrogance.

And the DJ deal at Oakmont was totally ridiculous on their part...for reasons already mentioned. I was torn between wanting to turn off my tv, but I continued to watch because I wanted DJ to sign his card "as is" without the penalty and force the USGA to deal with it. I wanted so bad to have him tell them "the entire world just watched me win your tournament. I can live with that. Take the trophy and the check and stick it where the sun doesn't shine." It was a good fantasy of mine while it lasted.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"