Best combination of distance & spin

MelloYello

I've been playing nothing but aftermarket ProV1's for the last few years and recent I tried a 2-piece Callaway and was blown away by how glorious it made my irons look. It was easy to compress. It felt buttery soft. It launched high. And moreover, it went at least 10 yards further.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a "tour" ball around the green, but the advantages of the 2-piece balls seem utterly ridiculous.

So, is this merely an issue with the "tour" balls being harder to compress? If so, what are my best options for combining distance with spin?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this will help you or not but last week I played a round with wilson duo urethane. They were soft, almost to the point to where they felt like they were going no where on a few drives but the ball ended up further down the fairway than I had been in years. A couple days later I switched drivers and got to "feel" the ball a little more, but again the distance was still there. I was left amazed and happy.

I've been playing nothing but aftermarket ProV1's for the last few years and recent I tried a 2-piece Callaway and was blown away by how glorious it made my irons look. It was easy to compress. It felt buttery soft. It launched high. And moreover, it went at least 10 yards further.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a "tour" ball around the green, but the advantages of the 2-piece balls seem utterly ridiculous.

So, is this merely an issue with the "tour" balls being harder to compress? If so, what are my best options for combining distance with spin?

Sounds like you were hitting a marshmallow SuperSoft or something similar. What’s utterly ridiculous is when you hit a wedge or short iron with one of these and if flies 20 yards over your target because they have virtually zero spin, you get flyers from perfect lies. Not sure what the hang up is on “compressing” but tour balls are firm with a softish urethane cover and aren’t meant to compress much they are meant to spin. The more a ball “compresses” the less it spins.

Sounds like you were hitting a marshmallow SuperSoft or something similar. What’s utterly ridiculous is when you hit a wedge or short iron with one of these and if flies 20 yards over your target because they have virtually zero spin, you get flyers from perfect lies. Not sure what the hang up is on “compressing” but tour balls are firm with a softish urethane cover and aren’t meant to compress much they are meant to spin. The more a ball “compresses” the less it spins.

I have no problem holding greens with Callaway Supersoft. :D They don't go over 20 yards nor do they have zero spin at least in my experience. I also play Chromesoft every now and then and used to play Prov1. I enjoy the Supersoft more for some reason.

You should check the review of Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield, that also had no issues spinning the Supersoft.

To the OP, I used to play Prov1 but I play Supersofts now most of the time. I enjoy playing with them more.

I have no problem holding greens with Callaway Supersoft. :D They don't go over 20 yards nor do they have zero spin at least in my experience. I also play Chromesoft every now and then and used to play Prov1. I enjoy the Supersoft more for some reason.

You should check the review of Rick Shiels or Mark Crossfield, that also had no issues spinning the Supersoft.

To the OP, I used to play Prov1 but I play Supersofts now most of the time. I enjoy playing with them more.

Not a fan of either especially Crossfield. I’ll take stock in my own experience and more legit reviews. I guess they’ll work for lower swing speeds but they’re not spinning regardless. I’ve personally experienced the flyer shots with the SuperSoft and so have many others. Hitting a 9 iron 170 yards is cool but not if you intended for it to go 150.

Not a fan of either especially Crossfield. I’ll take stock in my own experience and more legit reviews. I guess they’ll work for lower swing speeds but they’re not spinning regardless. I’ve personally experienced the flyer shots with the SuperSoft and so have many others. Hitting a 9 iron 170 yards is cool but not if you intended for it to go 150.

Oh you played with the Supersoft I see. Ok, fair enough. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean, that will really mess you up when that happens.

I played the SS for a few years and never got the magical extra 20 yards. I’m a morning player and never had trouble holding greens with it, perhaps because greens are more receptive early.

I do think it was a bit longer than the Chrome Soft I play now, but on the small greens I play, the extra control of the CS is more important.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Have to believe it was a combination of a less than stellar strike with the ball to get a perfect lie jumper.

Supersofts do not spin like a tour style 3 or 4 layer ball, but they can spin more than some straight distance balls like the titleist velocity. And like some of the other "soft" 2 piece balls, the higher ball flight can provide plenty of stopping power.

Sounds like you were hitting a marshmallow SuperSoft or something similar. Whats utterly ridiculous is when you hit a wedge or short iron with one of these and if flies 20 yards over your target because they have virtually zero spin, you get flyers from perfect lies. Not sure what the hang up is on compressing but tour balls are firm with a softish urethane cover and arent meant to compress much they are meant to spin. The more a ball compresses the less it spins.

Not a fan of either especially Crossfield. Ill take stock in my own experience and more legit reviews. I guess theyll work for lower swing speeds but theyre not spinning regardless. Ive personally experienced the flyer shots with the SuperSoft and so have many others. Hitting a 9 iron 170 yards is cool but not if you intended for it to go 150.

Have to believe it was a combination of a less than stellar strike with the ball to get a perfect lie jumper.

Supersofts do not spin like a tour style 3 or 4 layer ball, but they can spin more than some straight distance balls like the titleist velocity. And like some of the other "soft" 2 piece balls, the higher ball flight can provide plenty of stopping power.

You would believe wrong. Twice on par 3s and at least twice from the fairway. All were perfect contact and center strikes. Par 3 playing almost 150 so I hit a 9 iron right at the pin only to watch it sail 20 yards over. Another par 3 about 130, hit pw, way over the green. SW from 90 yards, over the green but only about 10 yards. That was enough for me. If you have any kind of swing speed and make solid contact this ball will fly forever with short clubs. I had read reviews before trying and dug deeper after trying to see my results were common. There’s not much difference spin wise between Velocity and SuperSoft and both are on the very bottom of the chart. You’d be hard pressed to find 5 balls that spin less.

TP5 is a very good ball. The Project A is a good mid-price ball that is softer compression.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

There's a whole AVX thread you might find interesting http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1602918-titliest-avx/

For me it's much longer off the tee than ProV1x (8-10 yards) but the extra distance is all roll, carry is similar to ProV1x. Trajectory with driver and irons is lower than ProV1x, noticeably so.

Much, much lower spin off irons with the AVX. I can just about hold greens OK unless they are rock hard but iron shots that will stop inches from the ball mark with ProV1x tend to roll out a couple yards with AVX.

Similar around the greens unless you want to play a low spinner. AVX is not going to grab and dig in instantly on a low spinner unless you have immaculate technique and plenty of clubhead speed.

I'd personally suggest the Wilson Duo-U or the FG Tour. They are both really soft (the Duo is a 55 compression and the FG Tour is a 70 if I remember correctly). While that isn't quite as marshmallowy as a Supersoft or the regular Duo, I don't feel much difference off full swings. I find the Duo-U performs pretty close to the older Chromesoft (I do not like the 2018 version) around the greens and the FG Tour might as well be a Pro V1 around the greens.

If you're longing for 10 more yards w your irons, strengthen the lofts of them, don't switch balls.

I don't need my 7i to carry 175 if it's going to roll out over the back of the green. I want my 7iron to stop within 10 feet or so of where it lands, and for that I need spin. Low spin balls are okay for when it's the winter and it's cold and damp because the greens are like mush, but once it gets warmer out and things firm up... no thanks.

I'm a single digit HC, with swing speed around 110 mph. Lately I'm all about the TM project A. Spin is more important than distance for me (live in Colorado) and these spin like crazy. I have played the majority of my rounds the last few years with pro v1s and Z stars. These feel the same...I can't tell the difference.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I'm a single digit HC, with swing speed around 110 mph. Lately I'm all about the TM project A. Spin is more important than distance for me (live in Colorado) and these spin like crazy. I have played the majority of my rounds the last few years with pro v1s and Z stars. These feel the same...I can't tell the difference.

Dick’s had a flash sale a few weeks ago and I bought a dozen of these. I played almost an entire round with them last week and they are a good ball. I normally play Chrome Soft and these are kinda comparable. The CS is a little softer and the project (a) probably spins a touch more. The seam on them stand out a bit but that’s not a huge issue unless you’re ocd.

I have absolutely experienced fliers with super softs and other super low compression balls like the old precept laddie. I'm not a super consistent striker but I am consistent enough to know the longest I hit my irons, and I've flown super softs 15 yards beyond that distance from the fairway. One of the main reasons I shell out for tour balls is to know how good strikes should behave, both in carry distance and after hitting the green. Nothing kills a round like watching a perfect shot fly the green and leave you dead in the rubbish behind the green.

I've also experienced the distance control problems with low compression balls and the random fliers from perfect lies.

That's why I never play them, but they do feel nice.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]