MacGregor TP Stamped Wingback Iron Set

Hello all,

I've been reading these forums for several years as my interest in classic clubs has grown, but up till now I've never felt the need to ask anything of the community here. However, I recently found something rather perplexing, and I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on it. Most of my classic clubs have been acquired through scouring the local thrift stores, and I've found some interesting things (including a trashed very early Hogan Precision 9 iron with boxed grooves), but never anything like this set. I found a set (2-9) of MacGregor Colokrom Tourney wingbacks that look to be from the late 50s. Nothing unusual there, but these are are stamped "TP" on the back instead of M85/M75. The shafts are Pro-Pel 1s, and the stamping for the number of the club is at the heel of the sole instead of the toe like every other wingback set I've seen. There is a label on the nine iron that names the set to a club professional in the Akron, Ohio area.

I found these clubs in with a mess of at least 30 "regular" Colokrom M85/75 irons (alas, no complete sets), what seems to be a custom-made H&B 3 wood from the late 40s/early 50s, a PowerBilt Citation driver from the 60s, and a First Flight The Standard 1 iron. I left the other MacGregors, but picked up the woods and 1 iron. I have no way of proving they were all owned by the same person, but I would like to think that was the case. All the other clubs in the barrel were typical department store stuff.

Unfortunately, the set looks to have been stored in less than ideal condition, as the 2-8 irons all have considerable rust and chrome loss. These are some solid irons. I took them out to the range, and they play nicely, albeit with VERY stiff shafts!

My question at this point is, is it safe to say these are a custom job done by Toney Penna for the professional? From my research, it seems that Congress Lake Club (where the professional worked for many years) was frequented by many famous players in the 50s and 60s, including Hogan. I have honestly never seen a whole MacGregor iron set with the TP stamp (mainly just wedges and woods), so this struck me as unusual. Hopefully, some of you might have some insight! Thanks!

Thanks to both of you gentlemen!

I had searched around on the internet before but didn't find that thread. Very informative, and now I can't say I've never seen another iron set like it!

Being from New Zealand it beggars belief that you could find these in a barrel in a thrift store.

These came from the Goodwill "Outlet" in my area, where they charge a per-pound rate. I think the lot of clubs I described came out to something like $10-12 USD. It is pretty shocking what occasionally shows up.

Great find. I don't know that the TP stamp indicates a custom job, but believe a serial number starting "SO" would confirm. Pro-Pel 1 is a pretty stout shaft, as you're discovering!

The ferrules are not in great shape on any of mine, but it doesn't seem like any have a serial number starting with "SO". So perhaps not a custom order, then?

Mr. Penna, thank you for your insight!

To clarify, these do have a serial number on them, just not one with "SO" in it as birly-shirly mentioned. As far as I can make it out, the serial number ends in 8767P, and it looks like there may be one or two letters/numbers before that, but they are illegible or non-existent on all the clubs. It seems like the ferrules might have gotten wiped down with acetone at some point, as none of the serial numbers on any of the clubs is completely legible.

The name on the 9 iron was for one Joe Guysick, who according to my research was professional at Congress Lake Club for many years. Mr. Penna, had you ever heard of Mr. Guysick before? I was a bit wary of putting his name out there, but in this case, it seems like it might help uncover more about this particular set.

Wahns-

Great set of MT Wingback irons!

Your 1957 of MacGregor "MT" Colokrom Tourney irons with the "TP" logo does indeed appear to be a custom set of irons for Joe Guysick.

According to Catalog, 1955 was the year these Tourney Colokrom irons first came out, and it appears there are some "TP" stamped irons among this year as well.

( Know where there's a 1955 LH "TP" set...)

Guysick appears to have been a MacGregor staff man, and the heel stamping of the iron number was a definitive touch for him.

Would be nice to see his "stamping" on an iron.

-Didn't Spalding put their iron numbers on the heel of some of their models?

Again, many sincere thanks for all the information. I don't know where else one could find this collective knowledge of old clubs.

Rex, the photos of the LH set in the thread that SteveNZ linked show a stunning set. I do find it curious that the TP stamp on your set is slightly different from the one on mine. The location of the numbers on the heel stood out to me as well.

It's a shame that, so far as I know, getting these rechromed would remove the Colokrom face area. At least for me, I feel like these clubs cry out to be played (or at least made to look better than their current sorry state), but some of the long and mid-irons have terrible rust and loss of chrome that I don't think would be fixable without rechroming the club. It seems like someone threw these in a shed or an old basement after their working lives were over.

I strongly suggest a real restoration cleaning (many posts / methods for this) before considering going the rechroming route.

I applaud the idea of putting them back into play as that IS what they were made for!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Fascinating reading per usual in this thread. Always an education.

W. Yeah, a re-chrome and you're going to lose the copper faces on those TP Colokroms. And that's one of the main attractions, the copper faces. If you have the chance, could you post up some additional pictures of the entire set. Let us have a look at the condition. Many an expert here to offer some opinion on a path forward. Surprising what may be accomplished with a some resto work.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

As requested, here is a picture of the entire set:

I've had good success in the past on other sets using some of the methods that get recommended around here. I've heard some of the soaking methods (like Coke or vinegar dilutions), but never tried anything like that. My normal method is to use a powdered cleanser (like Barkeeper's Friend), and hit the really stubborn areas with a wire brush or wire scouring pad. I've never tried it on anything that was pitted like these, though. I know the pitting and chrome loss on the backs doesn't affect play at all, but it is rather unsightly. Luckily, the original black and gold leather grips are in pretty good shape and will hopefully come back after some scrubbing and treatment with leather conditioner.

The condition of these clubs cuts two ways, since if they were in pristine condition I probably wouldn't want to take them on the course. The fact that they are in less-than perfect condition somehow makes me feel better about putting them in the bag for a round or two.

Take them to the course and give them a try.

Iron numbers stamped on the heel are on all (4) sets of TP ColorKrom irons I have seen. On ColoKrom irons it is not uncommon to see the chrom flaking off of the heads when they havent been well-maintained. The process involved copper-plating the entire iron head and them masking off the clubface and chrome plating it.

Does anyone have ideas on how to protect ferrules on vintage irons?

I have taken to wrapping clear tape around them to hopefully cushion any knocks received in the bag,older ferrules appear to be more brittle than modern plastic,age or composition?

I don’t know if it’s age, or cumulative wear and tear, or that a lot of older ferrules are longer, more gradually tapered and thinner at the top - but it sounds like you want a set of iron covers.

Again, many sincere thanks for all the information. I don't know where else one could find this collective knowledge of old clubs.

Rex, the photos of the LH set in the thread that SteveNZ linked show a stunning set. I do find it curious that the TP stamp on your set is slightly different from the one on mine. The location of the numbers on the heel stood out to me as well.

It's a shame that, so far as I know, getting these rechromed would remove the Colokrom face area. At least for me, I feel like these clubs cry out to be played (or at least made to look better than their current sorry state), but some of the long and mid-irons have terrible rust and loss of chrome that I don't think would be fixable without rechroming the club. It seems like someone threw these in a shed or an old basement after their working lives were over.

Wahns-

It is a different "TP" stamp entirely, as the LH iron model is smaller than the RH model.

The "MT Wingback" design was carried all the way to the SW for the RH models, but ended at the 9 iron for the LH models.

NOTE- TaylorMade shamelessly copied the MacGregor MT Wingback design 50 years later, for their TP Forged models.

By then, the iron model was RH ONLY. You can find a limited amount of LH TP Wingback Wedges, but no 2-9 irons.

• 4 years later...

I've a set of the MacGregor Wingback(?)Tourney, 2-9 plus the 11. All with Pro-Pel shaft w/the 1 in a diamond (grips have been removed)...if I read Kaplan correctly these are the "copper faced" that came out for one year(1958)   between the Colokrom & the FC4000. The back has PAT.D. Pattern Design) 179819 above & left of the logo, PT1 above & right of the logo, recessed weight below & left of logo....The ferrules are all messed up, most just show black...however shows a broad black band, gold, black, silver, black, gold banding next to the black ferrule. The ferrule of the 8 iron shows some kind of reg # - xxx229N, the 6 iron ferrule shows N67xxx & a couple of other irons just show either 9N or 29N.

What does PT mean?

Edited by bcstones

On 8/6/2022 at 7:05 AM, bcstones said:

I've a set of the MacGregor Wingback(?)Tourney, 2-9 plus the 11. All with Pro-Pel shaft w/the 1 in a diamond (grips have been removed)...if I read Kaplan correctly these are the "copper faced" that came out for one year(1958)   between the Colokrom & the FC4000. The back has PAT.D. Pattern Design) 179819 above & left of the logo, PT1 above & right of the logo, recessed weight below & left of logo....The ferrules are all messed up, most just show black...however shows a broad black band, gold, black, silver, black, gold banding next to the black ferrule. The ferrule of the 8 iron shows some kind of reg # - xxx229N, the 6 iron ferrule shows N67xxx & a couple of other irons just show either 9N or 29N.

What does PT mean?

Pretty sure PT in this case stands for "Penna Tourney".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1