Best system for equitable tee times at a private club (that doesn't currently have any)?

As someone who plays at the same time every Saturday and Sunday, I would despise the lottery system. Our Saturday times open at 7 AM on Wednesday, and every Wednesday one of foursome goes online at exactly 7 AM to snag the 7:10 tee time. If I wanted to play at 9 and drew 7:20 in the lottery, I'd be mad, just as I would if I wanted to be the first off and instead had to wait until 9 AM (and a much slower pace) in order to tee off. A simple system is best and to me, that system is booking tee times just like thousands of other courses.

The only other thing that my course does to improve play on the weekends is allow guys out before the times, so long as they give right of way to the grounds crew as they make their way around the course. There's 2 or 3 dew sweep groups that tee off at 6 and are usually in around 9 AM. Obviously your superintendent would have to be amenable to that and it would need to be policed, but it works well for the guys that want to get out extremely early.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Auction them off! Club gets revenue from the auction and there are few things more equitable. Winner of the 9am slot gets first opportunity to book that tee time for up to 1 year, if he has not booked within 72 hours of said slot than it goes on the sheet as open for whomever request it

Also, I love the split tee’s approach, the most valuable tee times in Golf are from 8-10 so why not double them up? 10 minute intervals, 24 groups out on the course... start everyone else off of the 1st tee at 12:15 for those that are not there for the morning wave

Wait wait wait. In another thread you were entrenched on members being ripped off by a money grabbing club that charges for players to ride in carts they don’t own or pay trail fees for but you think tee times should cost members extra?

How do you reconcile these two very contradictory philosophies in your mind?

I believe in dynamic tee times, where a 9a cost more than an 11a in July but more in December (example).

I believe the course has a perishable product (tee times) and should maximize the revenue when they can, whether a tee time is $80 or $14 depending on weather, time, etc

Golf cart fees being charged when the course does not provide a cart is a sticking point to me. Golf courses charging for tee times does not. I think sometimes green fees are thought of as just another product instead of a primary product.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Auction them off! Club gets revenue from the auction and there are few things more equitable. Winner of the 9am slot gets first opportunity to book that tee time for up to 1 year, if he has not booked within 72 hours of said slot than it goes on the sheet as open for whomever request it

Also, I love the split tees approach, the most valuable tee times in Golf are from 8-10 so why not double them up? 10 minute intervals, 24 groups out on the course... start everyone else off of the 1st tee at 12:15 for those that are not there for the morning wave

Wait wait wait. In another thread you were entrenched on members being ripped off by a money grabbing club that charges for players to ride in carts they dont own or pay trail fees for but you think tee times should cost members extra?

I believe in dynamic tee times, where a 9a cost more than an 11a in July but more in December (example).

I believe the course has a perishable product (tee times) and should maximize the revenue when they can, whether a tee time is $80 or $14 depending on weather, time, etc

Golf cart fees being charged when the course does not provide a cart is a sticking point to me. Golf courses charging for tee times does not. I think sometimes green fees are thought of as just another product instead of a primary product.

Ridiculous concept for a private club where you pay dues to play with the expectation not being gouged later. Private clubs are supposed to be non-profits (at least the membership equity model). Either increase dues and lower the membership base or implement a lottery system. Also, groups that have historically played the same time every weekend should not have a monopoly on that slot (ever).

Also, I love the split tee’s approach, the most valuable tee times in Golf are from 8-10 so why not double them up? 10 minute intervals, 24 groups out on the course... start everyone else off of the 1st tee at 12:15 for those that are not there for the morning wave

Wait wait wait. In another thread you were entrenched on members being ripped off by a money grabbing club that charges for players to ride in carts they don’t own or pay trail fees for but you think tee times should cost members extra?

You believe in dynamic tee time pricing at a private club?

We're a private club with no tee times. We have a spiral ball holder on the first tee that determines order. If you're playing at a popular time, one member of your group has to get there earlier than the others to place a ball. If everyone's not there when that ball is up, the group misses their turn.

Simple and works splendidly. I would not like to see tee times implemented.

Ridiculous concept for a private club where you pay dues to play with the expectation not being gouged later. Private clubs are supposed to be non-profits (at least the membership equity model). Either increase dues and lower the membership base or implement a lottery system. Also, groups that have historically played the same time every weekend should not have a monopoly on that slot (ever).

Agree completely. This would work fine for public golf but is not in any way even remotely acceptable for private golf clubs.

Also agree about no monopoly but what I’ve seen around that is that there almost always is in one way or another. It still works out as long as others are allowed to join in and is more of a group thing. I don’t understand any scenario where someone has a belief that they have an intrinsic right to the first time. I always want that time too but don’t always get it. We manage it at one club by allocating the first 5 times to guys who all want the first time and then the captain that week draws for teams. The other place has no times so you just have to show up first. Both work fine. A monopoly would cause a fight very quickly and the person that thought they had that right would eventually be eliminated from the club.

I said I thought the prime tee times should be auctioned off, the dynamic concept was just a small tangent lol.

At a private club I think an annual auction for prime slots is a good way to generate revenue from folks that believe it is worth it to lock down a specific tee time.

Winged Foot doesn't have tee times, you show up and put your ball behind the last ball on the first tee if you have a foursome. If not you have to go to the starter and he pairs you with another twosome or singles if they are waiting. When you have a foursome you put your ball behind the last one and off you go in order.

You have to be putting, on the driving range or milling around the first tee or it is considered bad etiquette I'm told. Played last summer and worked well. Keep in mind they have 2 courses as well.

I said I thought the prime tee times should be auctioned off, the dynamic concept was just a small tangent lol.

At a private club I think an annual auction for prime slots is a good way to generate revenue from folks that believe it is worth it to lock down a specific tee time.

Again, how do you reconcile this with your staunch belief that a member can ride for free in a cart they don’t own or pay trail fees for on a course’s cart path infrastructure? This is like supporting traffic camera tickets for red lights but railing against them for speeding.

It is probably a good idea to keep the cart convo in that thread for the most part. Ultimately I never said the passenger should ride for free in that thread, it is that I believe the course should not have the right to charge someone a fee and provide nothing in return. In this instance they are providing a premium tee time for a voluntarily purchased auction price.

I am very aware it is a slippery slope because it creates discontent among those that do not win or participate in the auction. I am not saying it is the best method but I already saw good ideas listed prior to my post so I was throwing an idea out rather than repeating something that has been suggested.

“Ultimately I never said the passenger should ride for free in that thread, it is that I believe the course should not have the right to charge someone a fee and provide nothing in return.”

Cart paths. Installation, maintenance and upgrades thereof. Signage to keep idiots confined to the proper areas for carts.

I think a lot of folks are glad you don’t get to make decisions at a club. Please do not seek the ability to do so at any level.

I have seen the lottery used at DuPont CC in the past, when they had too many members to favor anyone and had 3 courses.

Saying any course from 7-11am would be better odds of playing than saying 7-8 on 1 course.

The OP probably needs a meeting of their board along with members invited, to decide what will be accepted.

The software that can remember who got what they wanted and who didn't, then weight the odds, sounds better than a fresh lottery each week.

If it is decided to give longer term members some priority, do something like 20+ years can book 5 days out, 10+ 4 days, under 10 3 days.

Online tee time software is useful, depending on how many need to be first off. If the club members play fast, maybe they don't need to be

first off. Split tees provide more early tee times, but that will ruin the first off guys who want to play in 2-3 hours.

“Ultimately I never said the passenger should ride for free in that thread, it is that I believe the course should not have the right to charge someone a fee and provide nothing in return.”

Cart paths. Installation, maintenance and upgrades thereof. Signage to keep idiots confined to the proper areas for carts.

I think a lot of folks are glad you don’t get to make decisions at a club. Please do not seek the ability to do so at any level.

Have you read that thread? If not than please do so before going typical internet message board guy

Please keep the Hatorade in that thread and do not ruin this thread

The Foretees online tee time system can handle this. You set it up as a lottery for weekend morning times. Players submit their names, choice of time, allowable variation from that time (I. e. half hour before or after 9:02am), and at a given point (say, Thursday before a Saturday) the program assigns the times and emails everyone the results. Any remaining open times at that point can be taken by anyone either in advance or as walk-ups. I believe it does the selection in such a manner that if one person or group does not get their preferred time several occasions in a row, the system gives them additional weight towards being selected for it in the future.

In 2018, showing up to play Saturday morning and having no idea if I was going to be finished at noon or 2:30pm would drive me nuts if I had other things I needed to do that day. That system is a relic from the era when dad would spend all day at the club drinking and playing cards after his round, and had no other weekend responsibilities. Online tee time system also lets you see when the notoriously slow groups are playing so you can avoid them.

OP sounds like he's in a Philly GAP area club, lots of other clubs in GAP are using Foretees, so perhaps his staff or board could ask around for the experiences of others.

I was a member of a club that did not take weekend tee times until 10am or later. The idea was you could just show up and get a game with whomever was there, or your foursome could just show up and go when the tee was open. Interestingly there wasn't a ton of play before 10, but most of the tee times between 10 and 11 (the earliest you could reserve) would be pretty full. I think people just want to have an idea of when they can tee off and be finished without wasting a lot of time. Plus some socially awkward folks probably want to know who they will be playing with ahead of time.

Yep, in Philly GAP area.

You've pretty much nailed everything in your post (except our busiest time is probably 8:30-9:30). I think we need tee times during this time, at least, and it's good to know that ForeTees could handle this.

We're a private club with no tee times. We have a spiral ball holder on the first tee that determines order. If you're playing at a popular time, one member of your group has to get there earlier than the others to place a ball. If everyone's not there when that ball is up, the group misses their turn.

A buddy at my club has played at a course where this is done. He firmly thinks we should implement this at our club. Seems like it could work well.

I don’t think it’s necessary to over engineer the making of tee times and appeasing the members.

At our club it’s a very simple lottery system. You either send an email or write your request for a specific time the weekend prior on a sheet in the pro shop. Pro shop staff then do a simple lottery on times and 98% of the time you get your requested tee time. Everyone is also aware that if your request is for 8:30AM, you may not get that exact time but you will get something within about a 15 min range of that time and I’ve never seen someone get too bent out of shape if their tee time is 15-20 mins later or earlier than requested.

The only exception I’ve seen is for known slow groups who put in for a 7:30 AM time but may be pushed out a bit until they learn to speed up. Pretty soon they get the message and either learn to settle for later times or speed up.

As I said, keep it simple.

I don't think it's necessary to over engineer the making of tee times and appeasing the members.

At our club it's a very simple lottery system. You either send an email or write your request for a specific time the weekend prior on a sheet in the pro shop. Pro shop staff then do a simple lottery on times and 98% of the time you get your requested tee time. Everyone is also aware that if your request is for 8:30AM, you may not get that exact time but you will get something within about a 15 min range of that time and I've never seen someone get too bent out of shape if their tee time is 15-20 mins later or earlier than requested.

The only exception I've seen is for known slow groups who put in for a 7:30 AM time but may be pushed out a bit until they learn to speed up. Pretty soon they get the message and either learn to settle for later times or speed up.

Great feedback. Glad to know that a lottery system like I'm trying to formulate can work.

I don’t think it’s necessary to over engineer the making of tee times and appeasing the members.

At our club it’s a very simple lottery system. You either send an email or write your request for a specific time the weekend prior on a sheet in the pro shop. Pro shop staff then do a simple lottery on times and 98% of the time you get your requested tee time. Everyone is also aware that if your request is for 8:30AM, you may not get that exact time but you will get something within about a 15 min range of that time and I’ve never seen someone get too bent out of shape if their tee time is 15-20 mins later or earlier than requested.

The only exception I’ve seen is for known slow groups who put in for a 7:30 AM time but may be pushed out a bit until they learn to speed up. Pretty soon they get the message and either learn to settle for later times or speed up.

That makes such a difference when the staff is aware of a group’s tendency to be slow and they actually act on it. In order not to piss off the slow group, when making times our guys will often tell people that group X is going off say at 10:00 and you may want to go a little earlier.

A buddy at my club has played at a course where this is done. He firmly thinks we should implement this at our club. Seems like it could work well.

The really nice thing is that if you run late, you're not missing a tee time.

I was angry last year when I drove an hour to play this particular club. I made a 1:00 pm tee time and I arrived just before noon. I like time to relax and warm up. I hit the range and then about 12:30 I was just starting to chip & putt on the practice green when the starter announced that he had moved us up and we had to tee off next. Cripes.....my putting was off all day. In retrospect I should have refused and told them to let another group go but my buddies were all eager to hit.

As someone who plays at the same time every Saturday and Sunday, I would despise the lottery system. Our Saturday times open at 7 AM on Wednesday, and every Wednesday one of foursome goes online at exactly 7 AM to snag the 7:10 tee time. If I wanted to play at 9 and drew 7:20 in the lottery, I'd be mad, just as I would if I wanted to be the first off and instead had to wait until 9 AM (and a much slower pace) in order to tee off. A simple system is best and to me, that system is booking tee times just like thousands of other courses.

The only other thing that my course does to improve play on the weekends is allow guys out before the times, so long as they give right of way to the grounds crew as they make their way around the course. There's 2 or 3 dew sweep groups that tee off at 6 and are usually in around 9 AM. Obviously your superintendent would have to be amenable to that and it would need to be policed, but it works well for the guys that want to get out extremely early.

I found out this year that there's a group of retirees at my club who tee off at 7am every Monday and Friday all year round. They use glowing balls during the winter. That's either admirable dedication or insanity. I have still haven't made my mind up about that :)

But it's interesting reading the comments from some in this thread. It's quite a revelation to hear that it's so contentious. Too many people playing too few clubs perhaps? I've heard some moans about finding slots for major club competitions on Saturday mornings but otherwise everyone just seems to do the same as me. Pick a day, then look for an available slot. It might mean teeing of at 2pm instead 1pm or 11am instead 9am but it's hardly the end of the world.

We have the first 2 hours on the weekend for walk-ups and then after that schedule all tee times using Foretees software. On weekdays, all tee times booked using Foretees. Obviously walk-ups squeezed in when openings exist. This makes it so much better......I love to be the first man out on a weekday to play fast as I work from home. I don;t have to worry that 4 guys are waiting outside the pro shop to tee off first thing on Tuesday morning or whatever.

Our tee sheet is an online system open to all members and opens 7 days ahead of time. Personally I would hate the ball-in-rack system because you have no way of knowing at any one time how crowded the course is. I play mostly weekday afternoons so I like being able to login and see how empty the course is.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Our tee sheet is an online system open to all members and opens 7 days ahead of time. Personally I would hate the ball-in-rack system because you have no way of knowing at any one time how crowded the course is. I play mostly weekday afternoons so I like being able to login and see how empty the course is.

It's actually quite predictable when a course is going to be busy.

I can only say that starting at my club is a very relaxed affair. The regulars tend to get their regular times most often.

We have the first 2 hours on the weekend for walk-ups and then after that schedule all tee times using Foretees software. On weekdays, all tee times booked using Foretees. Obviously walk-ups squeezed in when openings exist. This makes it so much better......I love to be the first man out on a weekday to play fast as I work from home. I don;t have to worry that 4 guys are waiting outside the pro shop to tee off first thing on Tuesday morning or whatever.

Your situation sounds like the complete opposite of ours. It's the walk-ups trying to "squeeze in" on the weekend mornings that causes the log-jam, and we need tee times (or something) to thin out the herd. And whereas we get play on weekdays, I'm not aware of any need for tee times on weekdays whatsoever.

But it's interesting reading the comments from some in this thread. It's quite a revelation to hear that it's so contentious. Too many people playing too few clubs perhaps? I've heard some moans about finding slots for major club competitions on Saturday mornings but otherwise everyone just seems to do the same as me. Pick a day, then look for an available slot. It might mean teeing of at 2pm instead 1pm or 11am instead 9am but it's hardly the end of the world.

You're absolutely right about this. There'd be no issue whatsoever if some groups just resigned themselves to playing a little/a lot later. But I'm guilty of usually trying to play early.

I don't think it's necessary to over engineer the making of tee times and appeasing the members.

At our club it's a very simple lottery system. You either send an email or write your request for a specific time the weekend prior on a sheet in the pro shop. Pro shop staff then do a simple lottery on times and 98% of the time you get your requested tee time. Everyone is also aware that if your request is for 8:30AM, you may not get that exact time but you will get something within about a 15 min range of that time and I've never seen someone get too bent out of shape if their tee time is 15-20 mins later or earlier than requested.

The only exception I've seen is for known slow groups who put in for a 7:30 AM time but may be pushed out a bit until they learn to speed up. Pretty soon they get the message and either learn to settle for later times or speed up.

Our club uses a similar system, and it works well. The only situation where this type of system seems to break down is when the club has too many members.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

You're absolutely right about this. There'd be no issue whatsoever if some groups just resigned themselves to playing a little/a lot later. But I'm guilty of usually trying to play early.

If I make a tee time after 8am 3 or 4 ppl I play with the most would say sorry that’s too late and not play.