Best system for equitable tee times at a private club (that doesn't currently have any)?

Our tee sheet is an online system open to all members and opens 7 days ahead of time. Personally I would hate the ball-in-rack system because you have no way of knowing at any one time how crowded the course is. I play mostly weekday afternoons so I like being able to login and see how empty the course is.

Yeah, this is the major downside of this, in my mind. First of all, someone in your group has to get there early. And then he has to communicate to everyone the approximate time they'll all be on the tee. It might let you avoid standing around at the club, but it still doesn't much let you plan to do anything else beforehand. I think I'd prefer having an actual tee time that I've been assigned a couple days in advance.

It does sounds like it solves the issue of providing a reasonably equitable solution to placement in the queue. It just doesn't let you plan around your tee time.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's interesting reading the comments from some in this thread. It's quite a revelation to hear that it's so contentious. Too many people playing too few clubs perhaps? I've heard some moans about finding slots for major club competitions on Saturday mornings but otherwise everyone just seems to do the same as me. Pick a day, then look for an available slot. It might mean teeing of at 2pm instead 1pm or 11am instead 9am but it's hardly the end of the world.

You're absolutely right about this. There'd be no issue whatsoever if some groups just resigned themselves to playing a little/a lot later. But I'm guilty of usually trying to play early.

Not everyone has the luxury of having extra time on the weekends. I need to be able to play early. I have stuff to do with my daughter and/or wife later in the day. The example of 11 AM instead of 9 AM is the difference between me actually getting to play golf or not.

Our lottery system almost always gets you a tee time within 20 minutes of when you requested. Our system also never assigns a time earlier than you requested, which I think is a really important feature.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

If I make a tee time after 8am 3 or 4 ppl I play with the most would say sorry that's too late and not play.

Yep, that's a big part of the issue. But by the same token, when enough groups feel that they have to play early, like can be the case at my club, there still has to be an established order to all of those groups going off (since you can't all go off the first hole at the same time). If your foursome gets there at 7:00 with the idea you'll tee off at 8:00, but you're down the list such that you're not actually going to get off until 8:45, then what? That's what we're dealing with now.

Given this scenario, some people will determine that they'll get done the round too late and not play, or will bail out on the 14th hole, or will put additional pressure on the starter to get their group out sooner. I'd prefer a system where you know when you're going to get off and everyone can plan accordingly. It would keep people from pressuring the pro shop staff, from suspecting other groups of getting preferential treatment or jumping in front of other groups, from crowding around the first tee, etc.

If I make a tee time after 8am 3 or 4 ppl I play with the most would say sorry that's too late and not play.

Yep, that's a big part of the issue. But by the same token, when enough groups feel that they have to play early, like can be the case at my club, there still has to be an established order to all of those groups going off (since you can't all go off the first hole at the same time). If your foursome gets there at 7:00 with the idea you'll tee off at 8:00, but you're down the list such that you're not actually going to get off until 8:45, then what? That's what we're dealing with now.

Given this scenario, some people will determine that they'll get done the round too late and not play, or will bail out on the 14th hole, or will put additional pressure on the starter to get their group out sooner. I'd prefer a system where you know when you're going to get off and everyone can plan accordingly. It would keep people from pressuring the pro shop staff, from suspecting other groups of getting preferential treatment or jumping in front of other groups, from crowding around the first tee, etc.

No doubt.

It is nice to know that we are going off at 7:36 this Sunday morning, would have been earlier but one of the guys needs his M-I-L to come over and watch the kiddos.

I do think that 9 hole rounds only before 8am with split tees from 8-10a would be a great compromise. Then can start up with tee times against at 12:10 for after noon play

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Hey all,

One of the things that some folks have held dear about my golf club is the fact that there are no tee times. It's show up, get your foursome on the starter's list, and wait for your turn. It's worked pretty well over the years, for the most part, but there have been grumbling lately that we need to have tee times for the super-popular 7:30-10:00 timeframe on weekend mornings. (There's really no need for tee times any other time of the week.)

We've recently instituted a new pace-of-play policy that is working out really well, and also instituted a policy of not teeing off on the first hole (a moderate length par-4) until the group in front has pulled the pin. Once you get on the course, the combo of these two policies has definitely improved the length of rounds and mitigated jam-ups. It's just that from the time everyone from your foursome has arrived and you've put your group on the list, you might not be going off for another 1.5 hours.

So, how do you institute tee times in an equitable, agreeable manner at a club that never had them? I know tee times are never going sit well with the "everyone knows that my crew always tees off at 7:45 on Saturdays" crowd and the like, but something needs to be done to thin the herd and keep a million people from milling around the first tee in fear of being leap-frogged.

Here's my idea: Anyone interested in playing on a weekend morning in that early timeframe needs to submit the names of his foursome to the pro shop (or into the software or whatever) by, say, Wednesday at noon. Then, by Thursday at noon, the pro shot (or the software) will do a random assignment of the groups to tee times for the morning. To me, a random ordering of tee times will 1) keep folks from having to sit by their phones/computers to be first into the system to get a favorable tee time, and 2) takes the use of favoritism out of the equation (or at least makes it pretty clear if that kind of thing is happening).

Maybe you assign the tee times so that they're stacked one after another, from earliest onward. Since the idea is that people want to play early and get on with their day after, you don't allow for empty tee time slots. If there aren't enough sign ups to completely fill the morning, then the pro shop can announce that for that day the first tee is open to walk-ups starting at 9:20, for example.

I think you could also fine-tune it to allow people to throw their foursome into the hat for, say, the 7:30-8:30 timeframe only, or the 8:30-10:00 timeframe, or anytime in the morning. Some people "need" to play early, or around a certain time, and others just want to be able to show up 10 minutes before their time (and not what turns out to be 1.5 hours before, when they could have been getting some other things done).

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Opinions about/tweaks to my proposed system? Any feedback is appreciated.

We do an online lottery for Saturday and Sunday AM tee times. The names of your 4-some, requested time, and requested course have to be in by noon Wednesday for the Saturday drawing and noon Thursday for the Sunday drawing. The "draw" is performed by the golf shop software at noon on those days. I haven't heard of many complaints in the 15 years I have been a member - other than the occasional instance when one of the courses is freshly punched and everyone wants to play the other one.

But it's interesting reading the comments from some in this thread. It's quite a revelation to hear that it's so contentious. Too many people playing too few clubs perhaps? I've heard some moans about finding slots for major club competitions on Saturday mornings but otherwise everyone just seems to do the same as me. Pick a day, then look for an available slot. It might mean teeing of at 2pm instead 1pm or 11am instead 9am but it's hardly the end of the world.

You're absolutely right about this. There'd be no issue whatsoever if some groups just resigned themselves to playing a little/a lot later. But I'm guilty of usually trying to play early.

Not everyone has the luxury of having extra time on the weekends. I need to be able to play early. I have stuff to do with my daughter and/or wife later in the day. The example of 11 AM instead of 9 AM is the difference between me actually getting to play golf or not.

Our lottery system almost always gets you a tee time within 20 minutes of when you requested. Our system also never assigns a time earlier than you requested, which I think is a really important feature.

Same here, my group likes to play at 8am. The first tee time is 7am in the summer. We request 8am, with an earliest time we'll play of 7:30 and a latest time of 8:30. In 15 years, I can probably count on one hand the number of times we didn't get our request within plus/minus 30 minutes. And that is for 8 and sometimes 12 guys.

Our tee sheet is an online system open to all members and opens 7 days ahead of time. Personally I would hate the ball-in-rack system because you have no way of knowing at any one time how crowded the course is. I play mostly weekday afternoons so I like being able to login and see how empty the course is.

Yeah, this is the major downside of this, in my mind. First of all, someone in your group has to get there early. And then he has to communicate to everyone the approximate time they'll all be on the tee. It might let you avoid standing around at the club, but it still doesn't much let you plan to do anything else beforehand. I think I'd prefer having an actual tee time that I've been assigned a couple days in advance.

It does sounds like it solves the issue of providing a reasonably equitable solution to placement in the queue. It just doesn't let you plan around your tee time.

I believe you might be over-thinking this. If you want to play at 8am on Saturday morning, you know it's going to be busy so your group will go off about an hour after one member arrives. It's just not that difficult to plan.

My buddy invited a fellow to our club last week. He's from a club that does tee times and he remarked how cool our way is and how much less stress there is about arrival times.

I believe you might be over-thinking this. If you want to play at 8am on Saturday morning, you know it's going to be busy so your group will go off about an hour after one member arrives. It's just not that difficult to plan.

My buddy invited a fellow to our club last week. He's from a club that does tee times and he remarked how cool our way is and how much less stress there is about arrival times.

How is going off "about an hour" after one of your guys get there less stressful than a tee time at 7:56?

X________________________________ Sign Here

How is going off "about an hour" after one of your guys get there less stressful than a tee time at 7:56?

As I mentioned I currently have both situations. Although my favorite thing is that we do twosomes all off the first tee on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, expected pace of play = <3:00 and if you take over 2:45 walking the twosome behind you will be all over you butt... easily my favorite way to play. Anyway, I’d say both have different benefits. We have busy lives and being able to make a last minute decision to play is awesome when you don’t have tee times. OTOH, if you know you’re playing no matter what having a tee time is easier. Now, we have an extremely limited membership count at the club with tee times with a cap of 225 full members and zero outside play so making a tee time is still pretty easy but the other one has 600 members and not having a tee time is zero problem there as well.

If someone in your group runs late on a tee time it's a problem. Not so if you don't HAVE to go off the tee at a precise time.

If someone in your group runs late on a tee time it's a problem. Not so if you don't HAVE to go off the tee at a precise time.

Did I read somewhere in this thread that if you don't have all 4 players present when your turn comes up, you go to the back of the line, conceivably waiting another hour to come up again?? That could cause a little tension too, if you have 3 guys waiting for a guy running late.

I don't think I am. In fact, you can argue that there's not a ton of difference in theory between putting a ball in a queue vs. putting your name on a list (the way we do things now). After all, if you don't do either early enough, then your wait can be longer (or shorter, if you do get there soon enough) than you think. And that's the root of the problem here -- NOT being able to say that you'll go off in about an hour. Lately, we've been experiencing wait times much longer than that.

Also, as I suggested, I guess you could have a situation where your buddy puts his ball in the queue, then sends a group text to everyone saying, "Hey, there aren't many people here now. We're up in 10 minutes." That's not going to be helpful to the guy who is taking his daughter to soccer practice and can't get there for 45 minutes, right when a bunch of people have shown up so that you can't get out for another 35 minutes after that...

Sounds like the guest came to your club on a day when there weren't a lot of people there. When there aren't many people looking to tee off at the same time at my club, there's no problem, either.

Please don't misunderstand -- I AM looking for an easy solution that doesn't require over-thinking. I'm also trying to look out for unintended consequences. And maybe the solution will be one where there are still some compromises to be made.

If it's NOT a problem for someone to run late when you don't "have to go off the tee at a precise time," then you obviously aren't concerned about waiting another hour or so to go off after everyone's finally there, or you don't have too many groups all looking to go off around the same time in the first place.

We do an online lottery for Saturday and Sunday AM tee times. The names of your 4-some, requested time, and requested course have to be in by noon Wednesday for the Saturday drawing and noon Thursday for the Sunday drawing. The "draw" is performed by the golf shop software at noon on those days. I haven't heard of many complaints in the 15 years I have been a member - other than the occasional instance when one of the courses is freshly punched and everyone wants to play the other one.

And here I am thinking that maybe I had a novel idea regarding preferred time slots and a lottery... haha

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear it can work just fine. (Hopefully it's not working only because you have two courses to put people on...)

And here I am thinking that maybe I had a novel idea regarding preferred time slots and a lottery... haha

Thanks for the input. Glad to hear it can work just fine. (Hopefully it's not working only because you have two courses to put people on...)

I think any system can work out, everyone will adjust no matter what. Its just the change of systems that has a tendency to ruffle feathers, you're guaranteed to piss someone off. Sometimes that's a necessary step to improving the situation. Good luck!

Why not just run a shotgun at 8:00am for up to 9 groups, and then let people off #1?

You'd have 36 players (10% of the entire club!) with certainty of tee time (8:00am). Assuming 10 minute tee times, you'd get another 24 guys out before 9:00am.

If 30 guys roll up at 8:10, you've got a problem, but people would adapt to it.

You'd then have to close #1 for ~10:00 - ~12:00 (but if you only sent nine groups out on the front, you'd be able to work a few groups in).

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, and change in any private club is hard. But for me, I'd work as hard as I could to continue with the "no tee times" philosophy.

Best of luck to you guys figuring this all out. I'm not here to argue and maybe there are a few players at my club who wish we had tee times but I haven't met anyone yet. We're also a rural club so heavier traffic may require a different approach.

I appreciate your input. My response to your previous post was me trying to estblish that we're talking about the same scenario: too many people trying to play in a small window -- and then not knowing when the heck you'll get off if you're bumped from your intended time. During this crush at my club, the group with the late guy is going to get bumped to some later, unknown time.

Clearly, good cases can be made for having tee times and never having tee times. I think my club needs to at least TRY something that resembles specific tee times for a window of time.

The potential downside of an electronic system is that multiple people from the same foursome might put in for tee times, agreeing among themselves to use the best time from the choices they created with multiple reservations. This could create a delay of a day or two while they discuss their options and (hopefully) cancel the extra slots so others can claim them. I assume there are some workarounds for this, but I'm not sure what they'd be.

This would be forbidden. There'd be sanctions against people doing this. Seems to me it would be pretty easy to determine if folks were doing this.

In a club environment, I can imagine some sort of tiered permissioning to recognize long-term members with long-standing start times. If someone has been paying dues for thirty years and has gone off at 7:45am every Saturday for decades, that should be recognized somehow. Maybe allow them to make their reservations a day earlier or something.

Another idea would be to auction off a few specific times throughout the morning block, maybe the top and bottom of the hour tee times. Allow members who play every weekend to bid on those times. Let those few slots be like securities that can be sold or traded. Maybe the money paid for the slots could be held by the club as equity, or recognized with pro shop or food and beverage credits. Just brainstorming here.

I'd hope not to avoid going any kind of seniority or pay-to-play route, but I appreciate the thoughts.

Another thing I should add here is that the new pro has opened the course on the weekends a half-hour earlier, and that half hour is essentially open to twosomes and known fast foursomes. These groups are also sent out at tighter intervals. Apparently this has worked out really well and has helped to

SOME of the morning crush.

g

d

fa

Open the sheet up a couple tee times earlier. You could also look at allowing 5some's for faster groups.

Open the sheet up a couple tee times earlier. You could also look at allowing 5some's for faster groups.

The new head pro has opened the first tee an hour (or maybe it's a half hour?) earlier on weekends. This has helped some. Not sure he's willing to open it any earlier, though...

5somes of the fastest people might help. Interesting...

I have been to a decent course in the past and the pro told us if we finished under 4 hours he would buy us a burger and chips after the round. Could incentivize the first five groups each day with something like that. It is strange and inevitably if group 2 doesn’t care than no one else has a chance but still a thought. (Or a sleeve of balls, a beer, etc)

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I have been to a decent course in the past and the pro told us if we finished under 4 hours he would buy us a burger and chips after the round. Could incentivize the first five groups each day with something like that. It is strange and inevitably if group 2 doesn't care than no one else has a chance but still a thought. (Or a sleeve of balls, a beer, etc)

I've never been at a private club where this is an issue on a regular basis and in the limited times it is I would expect (and have seen) it to be self policed initially amongst the members. Then move it to the pro if that fails. As I noted in a different thread what I mostly see is that people slot into the areas where they are comfortable in the pace common for that time period. Is this really a regular issue for people here? It may be. I just haven't seen it.

One thing I'm taking away from this thread is that it seems a lot of courses are way more overcrowded than I would have initially thought. Therefore I suggest a different strategy of raising dues to eliminate some of the crowding as a possibility. I realize there's a tipping point where this goes awry but I think it should be considered. Definitely won't work everywhere but definitely does at some places.

My old club had tee times. It was horrible...logging in at 7 am 30 days in advance to pick a time...felt like I was checking in to a Southwest flight hoping to get A1. Yeah you had certainty about a tee time, but you gave up flexibility to change the time slightly if schedules changed.

My new club (I guess not new any more...12+ years) has no tee times on any morning. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, between 7 and 10 am, you show up and the pro arranges games for singles or twosomes, and figures out when foursomes will play. There are two groups of regular fivesomes that go out - they are all "proven" fast players so there is no issue.

This system has worked well for decades at the club. Of course there is a compaction issue....there are a set number of times between 7 and 8, or 8 and 9, so theoretically if a huge number showed up to play on any particular Saturday morning, there could be some waiting in the grill.

One of the assistant pros takes a ride around the course a few times during this prime time, to make sure pace of play is as expected (less than 4 hours at a minimum, and closer to 3:30 or 3:45 for the early groups). Really I give a lot of credit to our head pro and staff for managing this every weekend morning....providing an introduction to new members to get into a game, and dealing with special cases like elderly members, slower players or "unpopular" players who want a game. Not an easy task!

There were many conversations about the above system when we removed any gender restrictions on weekend morning play (there was concern that there would be too much demand for times if allowing husband-wife golf, etc), but in no case was anyone in favor of tee times, online or not. A few neighboring clubs have them, and no one wants that. Same for shotgun starts, or split starts (1st and 10th tees).

Good luck at your club.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

My old club had tee times. It was horrible...logging in at 7 am 30 days in advance to pick a time...felt like I was checking in to a Southwest flight hoping to get A1. Yeah you had certainty about a tee time, but you gave up flexibility to change the time slightly if schedules changed.

My new club (I guess not new any more...12+ years) has no tee times on any morning. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, between 7 and 10 am, you show up and the pro arranges games for singles or twosomes, and figures out when foursomes will play. There are two groups of regular fivesomes that go out - they are all "proven" fast players so there is no issue.

This system has worked well for decades at the club. Of course there is a compaction issue....there are a set number of times between 7 and 8, or 8 and 9, so theoretically if a huge number showed up to play on any particular Saturday morning, there could be some waiting in the grill.

One of the assistant pros takes a ride around the course a few times during this prime time, to make sure pace of play is as expected (less than 4 hours at a minimum, and closer to 3:30 or 3:45 for the early groups). Really I give a lot of credit to our head pro and staff for managing this every weekend morning....providing an introduction to new members to get into a game, and dealing with special cases like elderly members, slower players or "unpopular" players who want a game. Not an easy task!

There were many conversations about the above system when we removed any gender restrictions on weekend morning play (there was concern that there would be too much demand for times if allowing husband-wife golf, etc), but in no case was anyone in favor of tee times, online or not. A few neighboring clubs have them, and no one wants that. Same for shotgun starts, or split starts (1st and 10th tees).

Good luck at your club.

A shotgun start on Saturday mornings would effectively end my time at a club. That is the worst of all worlds.

We do have split tee starts at one club and even with me commonly being in the first group out and finishing in less than 3:45 100% of the time while playing with out members I cannot recall a single time where we have waiting a group that started on 10. They have it worked out so that it is never an issue.

The new head pro has opened the first tee an hour (or maybe it's a half hour?) earlier on weekends. This has helped some. Not sure he's willing to open it any earlier, though...

5somes of the fastest people might help. Interesting...

Our pro will let our select fivesomes early provided he knows that they'll play fast. We've done it a few times and finish in 3:30-3:45 walking with no complaints.

I have been to a decent course in the past and the pro told us if we finished under 4 hours he would buy us a burger and chips after the round. Could incentivize the first five groups each day with something like that. It is strange and inevitably if group 2 doesn't care than no one else has a chance but still a thought. (Or a sleeve of balls, a beer, etc)

I've never been at a private club where this is an issue on a regular basis and in the limited times it is I would expect (and have seen) it to be self policed initially amongst the members. Then move it to the pro if that fails. As I noted in a different thread what I mostly see is that people slot into the areas where they are comfortable in the pace common for that time period. Is this really a regular issue for people here? It may be. I just haven't seen it.

One thing I'm taking away from this thread is that it seems a lot of courses are way more overcrowded than I would have initially thought. Therefore I suggest a different strategy of raising dues to eliminate some of the crowding as a possibility. I realize there's a tipping point where this goes awry but I think it should be considered. Definitely won't work everywhere but definitely does at some places.

You might have inadvertently raised another point of concern. Maybe you haven't seen this kind of jam up at other private clubs because you weren't allowed to play as a guest in the busy time. If we determine that guests are adding to the jam up, then maybe we'd have to look at guests not playing until after the crush.

...Or maybe my club just seems to have a pretty unique issue here.

Like I've said, we don't have too many members. or get too much non-member play, nor do we have a pace of play issue. We just have an issue with too many folks wanted to play at the same time. As soon as we get people interested in playing later--or knowing exactly when they're going to play--then this issue will go away, and people will be happy (I hope).

Maybe we need to incentivize people to play later. Maybe reduce the cart fees after 10:00 or something... Hmm...

I think I mentioned in a different thread but at club A we are only allowed one guest before noon on Saturday and Sunday. At club B (the one with no tee times) there are no guests allowed in season until 90 minutes after the first tee opens on weekends/holidays. Perhaps that helps quite a bit as well. Perhaps this is why club B never has the problem of being too crowded. That may help a bit.

We also only allow one guest per member on Saturday and Sunday mornings (from 7-10). That works fine...if someone wants to take 2 or 3 guests they can wait until 10 am.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I think I mentioned in a different thread but at club A we are only allowed one guest before noon on Saturday and Sunday. At club B (the one with no tee times) there are no guests allowed in season until 90 minutes after the first tee opens on weekends/holidays. Perhaps that helps quite a bit as well. Perhaps this is why club B never has the problem of being too crowded. That may help a bit.

I like that 90 minute rule. Accounts for year round sunrise. Do you have foursomes go out only before or do they let twosomes out during that time?