What Ball compares to a Titleist NXT Tour?

PhilBurg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have some NXTs, and have bought some grade 5A recycled.

The 2 that compare for me are the Bridgestone E6, and the Srixon Q-star.

Sometimes, I'll find a new ball and play it for a few holes to compare it to the NXT.

Another couple of balls that are different, but nice are the Titleist Tru-Soft, and Callaway Super-soft. They are cheaper than the NXT,too!

Might want to move to the golf ball forum.

Ironically, he posted this twice in the golf ball forum and got zero replies. He posts it in the equipment forum and gets replies with the first one telling him to move it to the golf ball forum.

kn28rqZm.jpg

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

AVX, Project A, Vice Pro Soft

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Ironically, he posted this twice in the golf ball forum and got zero replies. He posts it in the equipment forum and gets replies with the first one telling him to move it to the golf ball forum.

kn28rqZm.jpg

Do you feel better now - are you the hall monitor for posts and topics made by people?

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

kn28rqZm.jpg

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

^^^Glad you got a laugh.

Sheesh, try to help out and you get slammed for it.

OP - I cannot help you with your question, sorry. I didnt know you created additional threads in the ball forum, I was on mobile app and dont typically visit that forum (only on occasion). You could look at the golf digest ball review to see what ball might act the same on shots, they do a spin chart thing. Best of luck to you.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

kn28rqZm.jpg

Do you feel better now - are you the hall monitor for posts and topics made by people?

This is funny, kuz when i read ur post...i thought YOU were trying to be the hall monitor. Lol

kn28rqZm.jpg

This is funny, kuz when i read ur post...i thought YOU were trying to be the hall monitor. Lol

Nope...I was merely trying to help. Wanna try again?

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I thought the irony was funny, FWIW. I seldom look at the ball forum either.

To the real question, I played NXT Tour for 3-4 years: 8 hdcp with decent short game. I took the opportunity last fall to reevaluate what I wanted in a ball: more green side control. This happened to coincide with becoming a Costco member. I now play the KSig 4-piece. Better all-around ball quite honestly.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Not sure if they are the closest comparison to NXT Tour, but Chrome Soft and Srixon Z Star are in the bag right now. Z Star may actually be a little better around the green, but both get the job done at a decent price. Probably would buy whichever is on sale.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I was one of the reviewers chosen for the TourSoft reviews in the "Pre-Release" forum. I found them very similar to the NXT, but softer. Lousy deal for your money, if you ask me, but they're the closest equivalent in the Titleist lineup to the NXT, if you're keen to stay in the family.

Personally, there are too many balls that perform better for lower prices for me to even give them a glance. I like the Kirkland 3-piece much better, to be frank, and they'll only set you back about $15 a dozen after tax and shipping.

I was one of the reviewers chosen for the TourSoft reviews in the "Pre-Release" forum. I found them very similar to the NXT, but softer. Lousy deal for your money, if you ask me, but they're the closest equivalent in the Titleist lineup to the NXT, if you're keen to stay in the family.

Personally, there are too many balls that perform better for lower prices for me to even give them a glance. I like the Kirkland 3-piece much better, to be frank, and they'll only set you back about $15 a dozen after tax and shipping.

thank you for your response, maybe it was time to find a different golf ball, after using the NXT for many years I guess it was more of a habit than anything else, do you have any suggestions that would be an upgrade from the NXT, thanks

thank you for your response, maybe it is time to find a different golf ball, after using the NXT for many years I guess it was more of a habit than anything else, do you have any suggestions that would be an upgrade from the NXT, thanks

A lot of that depends on what performance characteristics you want from a ball...soft feel, green-side spin, low spin on long irons/wood, etc. The following are good/great balls at the same or lesser price than the NXT Tour and Tour Soft:

Taylormade Project (a) - urethane cover, 3 piece ($25 - 35)

Kirkland 3-piece (Costco online only) - urethane cover, ($23.99 for 2 dozen)

Bridgestone e6 - surlyn cover, 3 piece ($30)

Srixon Q-Star Tour - Urethane, 3 piece ($20-30)

Note:

• You can also fine many top-of-the line urethane balls from previous seasons from TM (Tour Preferred), Callaway (Chromesoft), and Bridgestone (B330) for the price of the Titleist Tour Soft.
  • I haven't mentioned many of the NXT comparable surlyn balls from Callaway, Taylormade or any of the urethane, tour-quality balls from small brands like Snell and Vice as I don't have much experience with them.
  • You can also find a lot of deals for prices lesser than what I mentioned above from online-only retailers (rock bottom golf, golfballs.com, etc). I pulled those prices from Golf Galaxy's website, and they're by no means the cheapest out there.

thank you for your response, maybe it is time to find a different golf ball, after using the NXT for many years I guess it was more of a habit than anything else, do you have any suggestions that would be an upgrade from the NXT, thanks

A lot of that depends on what performance characteristics you want from a ball...soft feel, green-side spin, low spin on long irons/wood, etc. The following are good/great balls at the same or lesser price than the NXT Tour and Tour Soft:

Taylormade Project (a) - urethane cover, 3 piece ($25 - 35)

Kirkland 3-piece (Costco online only) - urethane cover, ($23.99 for 2 dozen)

Bridgestone e6 - surlyn cover, 3 piece ($30)

Srixon Q-Star Tour - Urethane, 3 piece ($20-30)

Note:

• You can also fine many top-of-the line urethane balls from previous seasons from TM (Tour Preferred), Callaway (Chromesoft), and Bridgestone (B330) for the price of the Titleist Tour Soft.
  • I haven't mentioned many of the NXT comparable surlyn balls from Callaway, Taylormade or any of the urethane, tour-quality balls from small brands like Snell and Vice as I don't have much experience with them.
  • You can also find a lot of deals for prices lesser than what I mentioned above from online-only retailers (rock bottom golf, golfballs.com, etc). I pulled those prices from Golf Galaxy's website, and they're by no means the cheapest out there.

Greenside spin is a nice benefit for a golf ball but I also don't want crazy spin that it affects my driver where I'm very streaky but solid with the rest of the clubs

My first gut-check response was going to be "any range ball ever" but I realized that's probably not helpful. If you want to stay Surlyn, I'd expect Top Flite Gamer or Gamer Soft to be pretty similar though both are probably a little softer. If you want to go urethane, I'd say look at Q-Star Tour (great sale prices right now) and K-Sig3 (back in stock, members only) as good low-price options.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

The intent of my post wasn’t to “slam” you and I understand you were just trying to be helpful with your reply. But, come on, even you have to find some humor in this series of events:

Posts question in golf ball forum.

No replies.

Posts question again in golf ball forum.

No replies.

:::Maybe I’m posting in the wrong forum:::

Posts question in the equipment forum.

:::Hey, look, a reply. I really was posting in the wrong forum:::

*Click*

“Might want to move this to the golf ball forum.”

:::Damn:::

OP, golfballtest has a compression and cover hardness testing of nearly 200 balls. It hasn't been updated since 2016, but it may help you find a more recent series of balls that are close to the NXT Tour: http://www.golfballt...rdness-ratings/

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

^^^^All good. Clearly, I woke up on the wrong side of the cot yesterday. Have a good one.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I played a found nxt a day ago, had been awhile. It was as I'd remembered it- long, and decent spin, but a tad hard.

The new TM Project S is pretty close, but it's softer, and a touch less spin.

Maxfli Ufli Speed is also close, but not as good of a ball.

Looking back I wasn't super fond of them, but playing it again, it was pretty solid, and occupied a unique niche.

Truly, most of the good balls today have spin around the green and less off the driver. I haven't played NXT in several years.

I normally play the CSX18, but the Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV were on sale for $20 a dozen and I bought a couple dozen. They are almost as good as my CSX, but at half the price!

I also got to test the Titleist Tour Soft balls and found them nice enough, but at $35 per dozen, they are way over priced.