2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Calling Shinnecock Hills "Shinny"

youdamantiger

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason this really gets on my nerves. You see it mostly from the print golf journalists as opposed to the TV guys. I mean, are they too lazy to type out the extra nine letters? Is it to sound hip? At next years Masters are they going to be talking about the extra length added to "Gussie?" Now get off my lawn.

I pointed this out 2 weeks ago when "someone" posted "Shinny" twice in one sentence. In that case, I think he was trying to make it sound as if he was familiar with the club, maybe trying to "give the impression" he had played there.

It's text talk.

What are the chances that the guy who called it ''Shinny'' twice in one sentence also wears mandals and may or may not have a man bun?

Probability is high. I repeat, probability is high.

By the way - played at a public track two weeks ago. We got a golf cart with a bent front wheel - it had a terrible "shinny" at higher speeds.

Had you been playing Shinnecock at the time, you could have said you had a shimmy at Shinny..... Now I have to put my skates on. Got a game of shinny in 10 minutes........

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

For some reason this really gets on my nerves. You see it mostly from the print golf journalists as opposed to the TV guys. I mean, are they too lazy to type out the extra nine letters? Is it to sound hip? At next years Masters are they going to be talking about the extra length added to "Gussie?" Now get off my lawn.

This is the first time I've heard it.

Lucky enough to have played Shinny and the Nat [sic] on the same excursion a few years back. Golf was exceptional but the highlight may have been dinner at Lugers on the way home.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Master of the Universe type $$, merely a lowely yet ubiquitous and ever-ready crumb snatcher.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Lucky enough to have played Shinny and the Nat [sic] on the same excursion a few years back. Golf was exceptional but the highlight may have been dinner at Lugers on the way home.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Master of the Universe type $$, merely a lowely yet ubiquitous and ever-ready crumb snatcher.

lol, that's me too. what a trip.... i could have choked to death on that steak and had a good life...

Maybe it is shinny? What kind of grass do they have ? Is this New York slang ? As in “ hey yo Tony , Youse Eva play ova at shinny “?

No......just no...

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Hmmmm, it sure seems from the above that you've heard of it at least twice now

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

aec.jpg

Hmmmm, it sure seems from the above that you've heard of it at least twice now

I was thinking of saying that, but I didn't want to be redundant.

The only person I've ever heard refer to it as Shinny was a member there. Maybe it's okay if you're in the club.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Great series of short articles by Andy Johnson at the Fried Egg blog (hat tip to Geoff Shackelford for noting it on his blog):

The Skinny on Shinny, Part I:

http://www.friedegg....hills-golf-club

"The Skinny on Shinny", Part II:

http://www.friedegg....lls-restoration

Part III has not yet been posted, I can hardly wait for it. This series has some terrific before-and-after photos, an excellent concise history of the club and the course, and a lot on the playability and the strategic options and challenges in the era of golf's technological distance problem. Andy Johnson makes the case that Shinnecock Hills is the best U.S. Open course in history. And quite a lot on what has changed, course-wise, since 2004. 2004 seems like a long way off, now, and it bears recollecting that when the USGA selected Shinnecock Hills in 2004, the year was 1999. The Pro V era hadn't even yet begun.

Great series of short articles by Andy Johnson at the Fried Egg blog (hat tip to Geoff Shackelford for noting it on his blog):

Part III has not yet been posted, I can hardly wait for it. This series has some terrific before-and-after photos, an excellent concise history of the club and the course, and a lot on the playability and the strategic options and challenges in the era of golf's technological distance problem. Andy Johnson makes the case that Shinnecock Hills is the best U.S. Open course in history. And quite a lot on what has changed, course-wise, since 2004. 2004 seems like a long way off, now, and it bears recollecting that when the USGA selected Shinnecock Hills in 2004, the year was 1999. The Pro V era hadn't even yet begun.

With as many times as you reference Geoff Shackelford, your hat must be looking worn.

I’ll be that guy.

I wouldn’t call it Shinny out of respect for the native Shinnecock people and their burial lands upon which the course is built.

Not trying to be PC or anything - you can call the course what you want - but I’ll err on the side of being overly respectful vs not.

“ The place was dotted with Indian burial mounds and we left some of these as bunkers in front of the holes. Others we scooped out and made into yawning bunkers, and sand-traps. It was in these traps that the Indian workemen would bury their empty whiskey bottles. We did not find out this until later when playing the course. One never knew what an explosion shot out the sand trap would bring out a couple of fire-water flasks, or perhaps a bone or two.”

-Willie Dunn

That was a substantive contribution, rawdog. Thanks for sharing. You put an extra "F" in "Geoff." So I guess with a spare, that I have an "F" for you.

I know. I put it there on purpose because I prefer "Jeff." "Geoff" reminds me of the Toys R Us giraffe.

You do go to the Geoff well often, that's all.

If someone made an "I <3 Mark Broadie" hat, I'd buy it.

In the words of Luther Ingram.................

"If sayin' Shinny is wrong....I don't want to be right."

Get down with your bad self.

IMHO this is a pretty lazy piece of journalism. He tries to establish that Shinnecock is "the best" of the US Open venues...largely on the basis of its history, and then poops all over the course that those previous events were held on. This is US Open #5 for Shinnecock - the first one (1896) was on a totally different course than the 1931 William Flynn version. The 1986, 1995, and 2004 events were hosted on a course that - according to Andy - had "drifted away from its masterful Flynn design".

But he doesn't know what he's talking about. He goes on at length about what a great job they've done cutting trees down (a super popular thing among the architecture set these days). Look at pictures of the 2004 US Open. Count how many trees you see. Shinnecock was never a: "victim to tree planting". There were never any tree-lined holes in Southampton.

He then calls them out for replacing their fescue fairways with rye; but I sincerely doubt it. William Flynn almost certainly used the same grass at Shinnecock as everybody else in the northeast - a mix of creeping bentgrass and winter rye, with the inevitable inclusion of poa. When mowed to fairway height, it's all bent and poa (because rye can't manage that cut); when allowed to grow in the rough, the rye mostly chokes out the bent. They didn't replace their fairways with fescue, they replaced the second cut of rough with fescue. Which is totally reasonable to make the course more playable.

Overall, it feels like he wrote the piece he wanted to write, regardless of the actual history or facts.

To Shinny or not to Shinny, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer a 3-putt

The winner takes an outrageous fortune,

Or to take a lesser against the wish of a caddie

And by opposing end them. To double—to triple,

No more; and by the back nine we are mere mortals

The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks

That late charge: 'tis no consolation

Devoutly to be wish'd a winner of the US OPEN

.... at Shinny.

IMHO this is a pretty lazy piece of journalism. He tries to establish that Shinnecock is "the best" of the US Open venues...largely on the basis of its history, and then poops all over the course that those previous events were held on. This is US Open #5 for Shinnecock - the first one (1896) was on a totally different course than the 1931 William Flynn version. The 1986, 1995, and 2004 events were hosted on a course that - according to Andy - had "drifted away from its masterful Flynn design".

But he doesn't know what he's talking about. He goes on at length about what a great job they've done cutting trees down (a super popular thing among the architecture set these days). Look at pictures of the 2004 US Open. Count how many trees you see. Shinnecock was never a: "victim to tree planting". There were never any tree-lined holes in Southampton.

He then calls them out for replacing their fescue fairways with rye; but I sincerely doubt it. William Flynn almost certainly used the same grass at Shinnecock as everybody else in the northeast - a mix of creeping bentgrass and winter rye, with the inevitable inclusion of poa. When mowed to fairway height, it's all bent and poa (because rye can't manage that cut); when allowed to grow in the rough, the rye mostly chokes out the bent. They didn't replace their fairways with fescue, they replaced the second cut of rough with fescue. Which is totally reasonable to make the course more playable.

Overall, it feels like he wrote the piece he wanted to write, regardless of the actual history or facts.

If you look at the picture that slides back and forth, the removal of trees is pretty clear. No, the fairways were never "tree-lined" but they definitely opened the course up so the wind could blow more freely, particularly along the perimeter of the property. I have read more than one article that said Coore & Crenshaw removed "hundreds" of trees. Seems pretty factual to me.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0