Really unlucky this month! Deadbeat seller won't make good

CasualLie

Did you file a PayPal dispute?

I get the feeling that the OP paid using Friends & Family and can't file a PayPal dispute.

I also question why the chasing the seller for a reply, the DonD thread, etc. rather than just file a PP dispute "not as described" and be done with it.

Though, it doesn't give the seller a pass to not acknowledge the buyer's communication and flip him the bird. The buyer has to deal with the consequences of a bad payment decision, but the seller should be held accountable for a poor transaction all around. Regardless of payment method, his standing on GolfWRX/BST should be examined if he can't be bothered to answer questions after he's made a sale.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you file a PayPal dispute?

I get the feeling that the OP paid using Friends & Family and can't file a PayPal dispute.

I also question why the chasing the seller for a reply, the DonD thread, etc. rather than just file a PP dispute "not as described" and be done with it.

Though, it doesn't give the seller a pass to not acknowledge the buyer's communication and flip him the bird. The buyer has to deal with the consequences of a bad payment decision, but the seller should be held accountable for a poor transaction all around. Regardless of payment method, his standing on GolfWRX/BST should be examined if he can't be bothered to answer questions after he's made a sale.

Cannot disagree with any of your reply. I asked the OP early on in the thread if he paid F&F or G&S and he never replied. Of course that doesn't mean he paid F&F but with the advice given to file a claim seemingly being ignored it makes me think F&F was used. We will find out eventually.

There are many comments in the thread I have not replied to...trying to keep the payment aspect separate from the reputation aspect on Golfwrx, since this is the only domain the mods/users have some control.

So with that you've confirmed you paid via PayPal Friends and Family. :no2: When will people learn? You gave up your control and the biggest hammer you had willingly by paying friends and family. That's on you. Nobody else.

There are many comments in the thread I have not replied to...trying to keep the payment aspect separate from the reputation aspect on Golfwrx, since this is the only domain the mods/users have some control.

That sounded like a mouthful of b.s...

Whether you paid by Friends and Family or Goods and Services is just a simple fact relevant to this thread and your situation.

Many people have admitted to paying via FF and it didn't take away from the board's animosity toward the culprit.

The only thing you're trying to protect is yourself...don't come on the DonD and make an "I got scammed" thread if you're not ready to be transparent and honest.

Unfortunate that this has come to this point. As already stated, if the buyer hasn't filed a claim yet, it's more than likely due to his payment method. If it is true, then the OP will just have to deal with taking a loss if the seller isn't going to do the right thing. But, aside from the piling on for a bad payment decision, the seller should be held accountable here. If there can't be any recourse through PayPal, then there has to be something done here. "phenomenal" does not mean chipped edges and faded #'s. The OP can learn his lesson about PayPal and the seller should be restricted from selling here.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

If it matters, I paid via Venmo...worse than FnF on Paypal. Not sure why you guys want to think I am avoiding an issue, or laying blame elsewhere. I already stated as much - the process I went through to decide to purchase (or not go through) is on me, but it changes nothing when it comes to the "phenomenal" description.

If you guys are going to have a drink with Scotty Wu and help him have a change of heart; great. Otherwise, the thread should just close. I f'd up a good part of it, lesson learned...seller has no morals. That's about it, no?

If it matters, I paid via Venmo...worse than FnF on Paypal. Not sure why you guys want to think I am avoiding an issue, or laying blame elsewhere. I already stated as much - the process I went through to decide to purchase (or not go through) is on me, but it changes nothing when it comes to the "phenomenal" description.

If you guys are going to have a drink with Scotty Wu and help him have a change of heart; great. Otherwise, the thread should just close. I f'd up a good part of it, lesson learned...seller has no morals. That's about it, no?

You have been around enough to know that time and time again, people pay F&F when they should know better. The fact that you basically refused to answer would leave most to believe that was the case. You had to have seen enough of these threads to know that it makes a big difference in rectifying the situation. I don't have any experience with Venmo. But, from what I hear, it isn't a great service. I have no idea if they have any buyer protection at all. It doesn't change the fact that the seller did you wrong. But, with no protection from PayPal, your only recourse would possibly a credit card displute? The only thing that can possibly happen from this site is for the Mods to come in and suspend his account. It is pretty evident that the seller doesn't plan on responding to your PM's or even possibly coming back to this thread to clear things up.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I'm not trying to make you feel bad or blame you so don't take it personally---but just in a general sense for all transactions, how you pay does matter. A lot.

It's one of the most important components of the whole conversation around the event. e.g. who suggested Venmo? Why? etc.

If you choose a payment method with no buyer protection, it's even possible that the scammer then decides to scam you.

Maybe he sent you a different, damaged range finder when he realized you had no recourse. I'm not saying that happened---but just as an example of how your payment method does matter.

Plus you've got people on here trying to give you advice (how many people suggested filing a dispute with PP?) without all of the information.

The easy fix for this is for the seller to refund, Buyer pay for return shipping as a lessons learned. Then Flubberlange can send the unit back to Leupold to repair the unit.

Beating up the buyer has become over kill here, I think he probably gets it by now. I've blocked the seller because it doesn't appear that he's made any effort to help with his sale other than collecting the funds followed by no-replies!

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

You are correct, the core of the issue is not how you paid, it is how the seller is responding to the situation. You trusted that a description of "phenomenal" would be exactly that, not a less than good condition item, which it obviously is. I don't care if you mailed the guy cash, the buyer has a responsibility to provide a "phenomenal" item, which he did not.

The guys beating you up over the payment method are misdirected using their anonymous internet personas to be judgmental and bait you into an argument. Avoid them, their behavior is trollish, and it takes the focus off the real problem which is the seller's lack of honor and character, which are supposed to be core traits of the sport/game we are all playing.

Sorry, but these threads that devolve into chastising the buyer for choice of payment methods are getting tiresome. We get it, don't Venmo, F&F, Western Union, etc. The OP obviously gets it, too.

OP, the only blame I place at your feet is a poor decision of payment method, which you have owned since revealing it. I get that you probably didn’t want to divulge that info for fear of how the mob would react. I just wish you’d have shared that information sooner, so I could consider it along with everything else when trying to examine the situation.

Knowing now that that the seller received payment that offered him the option of flipping you the bird with no fear of retribution certainly doesn’t improve his reputation in my eyes. You made a mistake in your payment method, he’s a sleeze ball who will tell you to go fist yourself if something isn’t right in one of his transactions and he has an out.

At rhis point, I’d happily deal with the OP on the BST. The seller, hell the f no.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

You are correct, the core of the issue is not how you paid, it is how the seller is responding to the situation. You trusted that a description of "phenomenal" would be exactly that, not a less than good condition item, which it obviously is. I don't care if you mailed the guy cash, the buyer has a responsibility to provide a "phenomenal" item, which he did not.

The guys beating you up over the payment method are misdirected using their anonymous internet personas to be judgmental and bait you into an argument. Avoid them, their behavior is trollish, and it takes the focus off the real problem which is the seller's lack of honor and character, which are supposed to be core traits of the sport/game we are all playing.

Sorry, but these threads that devolve into chastising the buyer for choice of payment methods are getting tiresome. We get it, don't Venmo, F&F, Western Union, etc. The OP obviously gets it, too.

And yet, here you are...using your "Internet persona to be judgemental" of those people.

Being mean to the OP, I agree, is unnecessary. But asking what payment method was used is just a good and totally relevant question.

If someone uses Paypal G&S, they can submit a dispute and get their money back. End of story. The problem goes away essentially.

How is that not worth bringing up?

And obviously people don't "get it" since here we are with another Venmo situation.

Well now the payment situation is clear and the seller clearly isn’t going to do anything, move on and send it in to Leupold!! You may truly be surprised with what you hear, if not then use the heck out of it till it dies!! From what I can see it is useable to a degree. Hell maybe even Leupold will hook you up on repair cost, replace for free and heck may even cut you a deal on a new model at a discount rather than repair. Maybe even being upfront with your situation may work out in your benefit. You won’t know until you move on from this thread and start to take action, since in more or less terms due to payment you gave up all of your rights in getting your money back.

Oh, Mary, mother of God. How does this keep happening?!? I know that I’m not supposed to blame the victim but at what point is enough, enough?

Nobody deserves to be stolen from. However, I feel like you relinquish the right have an open discussion thread, if you pay other than PayPal: Goods and Services. All that should be allowed is negative feedback and a single topic post that puts the seller by username in the title. At that point, what is there to discuss for multiple pages? There’s no recourse, there’s no resolution. Unless, however, you manage to call their high school golf coach or compell their Oregon Duck brother to intervene.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Oh, Mary, mother of God. How does this keep happening?!? I know that I’m not supposed to blame the victim but at what point is enough, enough?

Nobody deserves to be stolen from. However, I feel like you relinquish the right have an open discussion thread, if you pay other than PayPal: Goods and Services. All that should be allowed is negative feedback and a single topic post that puts the seller by username in the title. At that point, what is there to discuss for multiple pages? There’s no recourse, there’s no resolution. Unless, however, you manage to call their high school golf coach or compell their Oregon Duck brother to intervene.

If only there was a rule or a warning in place, nope don't see anything, not a single thing.

@goIrish17 - thank you

@gdashoff - yes, you are right...except the meme's ;)

Not once did I want this thread about feel sorry for me because I was an impulsive, trusting buyer not doing his due diligence and using Venmo! I don't need a hug. I f'd it up...and while it would be nice to say "if you can just reach one person..." to help others, well...that is not going to happen in this forum because this is all common knowledge to everyone that hangs in this forum. Honestly, I didn't even know this forum was used for BST disputes, a mod had to direct me. It's been so long since I have seen a thread about a deal gone wrong that I thought they were all in the BST dispute forum. I may remember it all wrong, but I thought the BST dispute forum had mods trying to broker an agreement, and seller's who did wrong could get banned. Turns out in the current climate I was way off. Oh well...

I wanted to whine about my bad luck with range finders, warn others about the seller...and now it's one more cautionary tale of a dummy who actually knows better not to use Venmo. It's not the money. $300 is a few rounds of drinks in London with friends. D*mn good drinks, but when they are gone, they are gone.

Thank you to everyone for chiming in...I'll send the unit to Leupold when I get around to it.

To those that are saying the OP shouldn't get a lengthy thread/discussion since he paid venmo thus no recourse, or things to that effect, I think that's kind of pompous of you to say who can post what and how long it gets to be. Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or it's a half joke, but either way it's not helpful and I don't believe it to be right. I think there's still value to the thread regardless of how the buyer paid. I've seen a few times here where the community has been able to help the seller with suggestions or recourse one way or another. That's the point of community isn't it? Help someone out if you can?

To those that are saying the OP shouldn't get a lengthy thread/discussion since he paid venmo thus no recourse, or things to that effect, I think that's kind of pompous of you to say who can post what and how long it gets to be. Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or it's a half joke, but either way it's not helpful and I don't believe it to be right. I think there's still value to the thread regardless of how the buyer paid. I've seen a few times here where the community has been able to help the seller with suggestions or recourse one way or another. That's the point of community isn't it? Help someone out if you can?

Didn't only 1 person say that?

Most people are just saying that payment method should be a part of the conversation and included, not ignored and unanswered. Because it does matter. It totally changes what options the "victim" has.

Didn't only 1 person say that?

Most people are just saying that payment method should be a part of the conversation and included, not ignored and unanswered. Because it does matter. It totally changes what options the "victim" has.

I was meaning to address the 1 poster who said that explicitly here as well as others who are of the same ilk. Should have phrased that better.

And I totally hear you- it's not irrelevant from an available recourse standpoint HOW payment was made. I guess my point was there's still value to trying to help each other even if someone does something they know they're not supposed to do. We all do stuff we're not supposed to do all the time. The WRX community is a powerfully helpful community, so we should still want to help someone who got screwed.

to me i think this would make both parties look fair, i think the seller (flubber) if a good guy should simply ask the buyer (casual) to send the unit in to leupold and find out what the cost to fix it will be and they split it , it shouldnt be not more than a hundred bucks tops and or leupold may just send in a new unit and no charge and then both parties would be happy and i think both parties should get a name of the guy at leopold and both tell them what the problem is and let them know the situation as well , i bet some real good karma would come from this way for both guys , just my two cents