Taylormade Spider Tour Putters

justincredible04

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know where to get a higher quality / more visually pleasing hardcover for it

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I would like to know where to get a higher quality / more visually pleasing hardcover for it
have you tried rose and fire? For my part, i am really trying to convice myself that i dont need that putter?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Keep your eye out at the pro shops of your favorite courses. PRG makes a square mallet cover that fits great and a lot of courses use them for their logo headcovers.

I picked one up a few weeks back from Pasatiempo. Obviously has the course logo all over it (which I dig) and a magnetic closure. I’m sure it’s not real leather, as it didn’t cost all that much, but the quality is really good.

http://www.prgolfonline.com/mallet-covers

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I am serioulsy consideri g the spider. Anyone who change from an anser to the spider and saw a real avantage? Did your putting really benifit from it?

Yes.

Over the past 5ish years, I've owned (or still own), and have played the following:

Oil Can Classic Newport 2

Studio Select Newport 2

Byron Morgan 612

Byron Morgan DH89

Kari Lajosi DD201

Ping WRX Anser 2

Byron Morgan DH89 (another one)

In that time, my handicap has hovered in the 1.5-3.8 range.

Last April, my handicap was at 3.8 and I put the Spider Tour Black in the bag as an experiment, as I've never... ever... gotten along with a mallet style putter of any kind. The only equipment change I've made since then has been going to longer shafts in my irons... everything else has remained the same. Currently, my handicap sits at +0.1.

That's almost a 4 stroke improvement in a year for a guy working with a "full-time-job" swing. Now... don't get me wrong... I've made some good improvements to my game over the past couple years that are now showing up on course more often, so I'm not going to say that this is all because of a putter change. However I will say that, as I type this, I'm looking at 4 gorgeous Byron Morgan putters and a couple sweet classic Scotty Camerons. I like the look, feel, sound, heck... everything about those putters about ten times more than the Spider... but the Spider is locked in the bag. I've never been this confident inside of 10 feet and I've never put less time into practicing my putting.

It all boils down to this:

I don't like the looks. I don't like the sound. I don't like the feel. But I'm forced to use it because it puts the ball in the hole better than anything else.

That's probably the best review that I can give a high MOI, function > form type of putter.

Cheers,

Mike

Owned many of the same putters

Mike nailed this

- I too hate the look

- the confidence this gives on 10 ft and in is ridiculous

- in the bags of many non paid staffers - including jimmy walker

Vanity wants my Bettinardi or Cameron back in the bag , stokes gained putting calls for the spider

My experience is similar as well including the previous putters. Thing is the looks of the Spider have grown on me cause I have putted so well with the damn thing that anything else I pick up now feels awkward and difficult to look at.

Anyone go from the Spider Tour to the Ardmore 3 (or vice versa)? Really liking the look of the Ardmore 3 although admittedly haven't seen one in person.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Finally bit the bullet and went from a Bettinardi BB0 to a Tour red (feels like sacrilege!)

I used it for the first time on Saturday and for the first 9 i couldn't putt for sh1t! (even worse than normal)

But on the second 9 i noticed the back end of the putter was really raised, i moved my hands back a bit at address and putted lights out for the second 9, well for me (23 front, 15 back)

And the red feels a lot softer than i was expecting which is nice

I've had a Spider Tour since last year? or whenever it was the Tour Black one came out but eventually got away from it for the all black limited CS Scotty. Going CS really helped my putting but of course being the ho I am I have tried to replace it with a Exo #7, a Betti and probably something else. I finally gave up on the #7 again as I just cant get along with Odyssey inserts. Got the Scotty back out but after using an insert putter for a few weeks now the Scotty feels awful and I couldnt make anything. Thought about the Spider Tour sitting down there which is my second one since I like a face balanced putter vs slant neck. Its got one of the Limited run SS grips on it which just makes for a sick looking rig. Grabbed it and started putting on my green while it rained all day yesterday. I love the look of the Spider. I know some have mentioned they hate looking down at it but I love it. Its so easy to align. For me it was never getting my line but getting my speed right. I struggled before with lag putts as some have said its lights out from inside ten feet. So if I can get my speed down I think I am going to TRY and commit to this putter for the rest of the season. I like how the TM insert kind of doesnt feel like an insert. Its got a firmness to it that I like.

How have you guys adjusted and figured out lag putting? Before I was getting into some issues with my putts hopping as they started rolling and then I'd come up way short. Is that my set up?

Took the O-works 2 ball back, was also a great putter but at 33" it was a little short feeling... The Spider Tour red I was messing around with the other day was still there so I grabbed it immediately and ran to the counter. I owned the Tour black before, twice. Loved the look even after criticizing it heavily when it first came out, but that insert was not for me. It didn't feel bad, I just couldn't get distances right. It definitely feels harder than the red to me....

Took the red to the range and practice green after leaving the store and I was really excited to see how quickly I was able to get my putts online and distance control was much better for me than the black. Of course, we'll see how I do on the actual course but it was nice to be able to stand over a putt, give the line a look and just hit it. Either they'd get close enough for tap ins or even make it to the bottom of the cup... I have been leaving too many strokes out there on the greens lately, hoping this all translates!!

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I've always used anser style putters and have prided myself on being a good putter. However, I'm not getting to play as much as I used to and my distance control has been suffering as a result.

Broke down and bought a slant neck Tour Red on the advice of my pro. Really impressed so far, and just wish I had done this earlier. Distance control is so much easier, and I'm finally back to not overthinking stuff on the greens.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I've always used anser style putters and have prided myself on being a good putter. However, I'm not getting to play as much as I used to and my distance control has been suffering as a result.

Broke down and bought a slant neck Tour Red on the advice of my pro. Really impressed so far, and just wish I had done this earlier. Distance control is so much easier, and I'm finally back to not overthinking stuff on the greens.

please stop! Now i want one

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Just a heads up: I saw the JD and DJ versions from last year for $229 at golf galaxy in store. Haven’t checked if they’re that price online as well, but $70 off is pretty good.

Ouch. That'll kill the eBay market.

I'll have to check out the PGATSS near me.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The flash sale is online when it occurs. Ill have to see if they show up again on Thursday and they may not be the models you are referring to. The ones Im talking about have been listed as 2016 Spider Tour Red/Black. No sight line.
would love that in canada!

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

The flash sale is online when it occurs. I’ll have to see if they show up again on Thursday and they may not be the models you are referring to. The ones I’m talking about have been listed as 2016 Spider Tour Red/Black. No sight line.

Looks like they aren’t doing a flash sale today. Maybe they don’t want a conflict with their Father’s Day sales. Also, I was mistaken about the “2016” part. That was for their older model Scotty Cameron putters.

I bought a 34” diamond silver, I thought about cutting down to 33 or 33.5”. Looking at the specs on the website it says the head weight is 355 for all 3 lengths. Do all lengths have a 2g weight? Will I need to add any weight to the head or will it feel the same as the stock 33”? I know for my Scotty Cameron the head weight and weights are different on all lengths so I know to get the swing weight back to where it should be I would have to add weight. Is it the same for the spider?

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

I bought a 34 diamond silver, I thought about cutting down to 33 or 33.5. Looking at the specs on the website it says the head weight is 355 for all 3 lengths. Do all lengths have a 2g weight? Will I need to add any weight to the head or will it feel the same as the stock 33? I know for my Scotty Cameron the head weight and weights are different on all lengths so I know to get the swing weight back to where it should be I would have to add weight. Is it the same for the spider?
interesting question. I just bought a 35 inches and i know i will cut it to 33.5/34. I need to know how to adjust the swingweight

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

According to TM, because they all have the same 355g head weight and all only have 2g weights even if you cut it down it will still feel the same weight and same swing weight as if you purchased the short putter. I chatted with them today. I have a 34 I want to cut down. They said it would feel the same as if I bought the 33”.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

According to TM, because they all have the same 355g head weight and all only have 2g weights even if you cut it down it will still feel the same weight and same swing weight as if you purchased the short putter. I chatted with them today. I have a 34 I want to cut down. They said it would feel the same as if I bought the 33”.

Hahahaha. No. you talked to an idiot. I can assure you absolutely 100% that a spider cut down to 33 inches is 6 swingweight points lighter than a 34 and 12 points lighter than a 35 if you do not put heavier weights in the head. You can buy the heavier weights on eBay.

Any club in the world that is cut down an inch will have a swingweight that is 6 points lighter than before and will obviously FEEL significantly lighter. That is all swingweight is. It is a way to put a label on how heavy or light a head feels.

The club will certainly work just fine at a lower swingweight, but you may simply not like the putter head feeling lighter. It is strictly preference.

You need to add back about 2 grams per SW point, or 12 grams per inch cut, to get it back to the original swingweight.

I bought a 34 diamond silver, I thought about cutting down to 33 or 33.5. Looking at the specs on the website it says the head weight is 355 for all 3 lengths. Do all lengths have a 2g weight? Will I need to add any weight to the head or will it feel the same as the stock 33? I know for my Scotty Cameron the head weight and weights are different on all lengths so I know to get the swing weight back to where it should be I would have to add weight. Is it the same for the spider?
interesting question. I just bought a 35 inches and i know i will cut it to 33.5/34. I need to know how to adjust the swingweight

Look at my previous post. It is only preference. You may like it just fine with a lower swingweight and a lighter feeling head. There is no rule on what it must be.

Cut it first and see what you think. Weights are all over eBay if you want to change it. Add 6 grams per 1/2 inch, 12 grams per inch to return it to its previous SW value. You can experiment with lead tape before you buy weights to make sure you buy the right ones. Add tape till you like the feel, then take off the tape and weigh it. I have a small kitchen scale for such things.

I bought a 34” diamond silver, I thought about cutting down to 33 or 33.5”. Looking at the specs on the website it says the head weight is 355 for all 3 lengths. Do all lengths have a 2g weight? Will I need to add any weight to the head or will it feel the same as the stock 33”? I know for my Scotty Cameron the head weight and weights are different on all lengths so I know to get the swing weight back to where it should be I would have to add weight. Is it the same for the spider?

Look at my previous post. It is only preference. You may like it just fine with a lower swingweight and a lighter feeling head. There is no rule on what it must be.

Cut it first and see what you think. Weights are all over eBay if you want to change it. Add 6 grams per 1/2 inch, 12 grams per inch to return it to its previous SW value. You can experiment with lead tape before you buy weights to make sure you buy the right ones. Add tape till you like the feel, then take off the tape and weigh it. I have a small kitchen scale for such things.

I wonder if swingweight matters a LOT more on a full swing club than a putter ?

I mean, if you went from D-4 to C-8(?) on a driver the lighter feel of the club would be noticed immediately and one might not ever be able to get "used to it".

But as others (including myself) have said around here, we've cut down a putter an inch, or even 2, and found no real difference.

Did it feel lighter when we first tried it ? Absolutely. But putt with it for a while, get used to the (new) feel and get comfortable with it and next thing you know, you'd never know it was cut down in the first place.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I wonder if swingweight matters a LOT more on a full swing club than a putter ?

I mean, if you went from D-4 to C-8(?) on a driver the lighter feel of the club would be noticed immediately and one might not ever be able to get "used to it".

But as others (including myself) have said around here, we've cut down a putter an inch, or even 2, and found no real difference.

Did it feel lighter when we first tried it ? Absolutely. But putt with it for a while, get used to the (new) feel and get comfortable with it and next thing you know, you'd never know it was cut down in the first place.

I would agree with you. 12 points on a driver by shortening an inch is FAR more important than on a putter. You swing the putter extremely slowly so that change in the feel of the head weight effects your brain very differently. The driver moving very fast tends to exaggerate any difference because of the centrifugal force involved. (Or is it centripetal? Science guys can correct me)

If someone takes an inch off a driver without adding any weight back to it, MOST people will find they sort of lose track of the head during the swing and their tempo gets a bit quick.. It feels so light that it becomes harder to use.

A putter is moving so slowly that it isn’t nearly as important. Tiger uses D-1, Phil uses something down in the mid C’s. Some guys like them up in the E range.

There really is no rule, you just need to see if it bothers you shorter with no extra weight. It really might not. You might love it down in the C range.

Anyone try the red slant w/ a sight line? and if so did you prefer it over the no lined version?

While I likely won't every switch away from my betti BB8, I have toyed with the spiders for quite some time. I prefer the feel of the black insert (red head) by far. I personally like the line to get me "set up" at address, then I just take the putter away. If I had my way for sure, I would use a sight dot, but I did the like the line over the no line.

Anyone try the red slant w/ a sight line? and if so did you prefer it over the no lined version?

While I likely won't every switch away from my betti BB8, I have toyed with the spiders for quite some time. I prefer the feel of the black insert (red head) by far. I personally like the line to get me "set up" at address, then I just take the putter away. If I had my way for sure, I would use a sight dot, but I did the like the line over the no line.

I had a whole bunch of nice but Bettinardi s and Cameron’s and I thought I would never switch either and then I came over to the Darkside

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN