Tiger’s Future Status for The U.S. Open

Need4spd

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn’t give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year? If he’s healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on limited research it appears as though Jack received eight “special exemptions” and Arnie six, so there is some precedent for it.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Does anyone really believe the USGA would EVER not give him an exemption? Is this really an opinion? Do you want to know why they kept the special exemption? For Tiger freaking Woods..They may give him a gentle nudge waaaay off in the future to decide to "retire" from the championship.. but he will have a spot in the field as long as he wants it.

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn’t give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year? If he’s healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

No event saying "no" to Tiger Woods if they have any chance of having him play.

Based on limited research it appears as though Jack received eight “special exemptions” and Arnie six, so there is some precedent for it.

Sure, but nobody has got one year after year after year, regardless of performance.

Also, exemptions are less common than they used to be. They were a regular occurrence through the 80s and 90s, and they gave out 6(!) in 2000. But only 5 for the past 13 Opens:

http://www.usga.org/...exemptions.html

Jack didn't need them until his 50s, when he was a part-time player. He was still good enough to make the cut most years.

Arnie got a farewell invite in 1994, but the rest were in the late 70s/early 80s.

Watson got 4 between 1993 and 2003, and one more in 2010 after he'd finished runner-up in the Open in 2009 (that the 2010 US Open was at Pebble also probably played a factor). He made the cut most years.

Player didn't play the US Open after 1989, although he continued to play the Open and the Masters for many years after.

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year? If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

TW will get a lifetime exemption. It will be up to him. He wont abuse it and I dont know why he would bother playing US Opens for more than 6 or 7 more years.

Jack had a consecutive major streak from 57 to 98 going so it made sense to keep giving him exemptions even though he couldnt win.

I could see TW playing us opens til he is 50 then, depending on how he feels, maybe playing one or two more when he feels like it.

If we assume Tiger dosn't win another US Open, I could see him playing until they go back to Pebble Beach in 2027 when he'll be 51. Health permitting of course.

The one senior tour event I can see him playing is the US Senior Open. If he wins that, he gets a spot in the next year's field.

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.

Only because I am too lazy to look this up and find it amazing a player could win twice or more in 12 months and not be in top 60.....who?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

For all the talk about Tiger, what about Phil?

His British Open exemption runs out after this year.

He's on track to finish top 30 in the Fed Ex Cup to secure his place at Pebble Beach in 2019, but then what?

I can see him getting a special exemption in to Winged Foot in 2020 and Torrey Pines in 2021 if needed, but that may be it unless he qualifies or wins the US Senior Open.

All he has to do is win a tourney, come what... top 50 in fedex points, place top 5 this year in any of the other majors etc... Plenty of time/ways for him to get in next year with out needing to qualify.

Actually, none of those necessarily get him in except for a top five in this year's US Open. Top five in the other majors doesn't get you squat, nor do wins, at least not as it pertains to what we're talking about. They would all help move him up in the OWGR obviously but would not guarantee him anything. There are numerous guys who have won, some more than once, in the past year who had to go through qualifying this year.

Only because I am too lazy to look this up and find it amazing a player could win twice or more in 12 months and not be in top 60.....who?

Patton Kizzire

Can you imagine the outcry if the USGA didn't give him an exemption at Pebble Beach next year? If he's healthy and wants to play, he will play there.

If we assume Tiger dosn't win another US Open, I could see him playing until they go back to Pebble Beach in 2027 when he'll be 51. Health permitting of course.

The one senior tour event I can see him playing is the US Senior Open. If he wins that, he gets a spot in the next year's field.

Mt Rushmore of golf

Jones, Arnie, Jack, Tiger.

These guys made the game greater, each in their own way, than it would have been had they not played golf.

You always want them at an event if they want to be there.

For all the talk about Tiger, what about Phil?

His British Open exemption runs out after this year.

He's on track to finish top 30 in the Fed Ex Cup to secure his place at Pebble Beach in 2019, but then what?

I can see him getting a special exemption in to Winged Foot in 2020 and Torrey Pines in 2021 if needed, but that may be it unless he qualifies or wins the US Senior Open.

Patton Kizzire

Phil is going to win about 5 US Senior Opens in a row.

I would hazard a guess that if this scenario were to occur Mr. Woods would be the beneficiary of a special exemption like the ones Els and Furyk received this year. Maybe indefinitely lol. 79 wins and 3 US Opens has to get you some love.

https://www.golfdige...hinnecock-hills

Definitely. Look how many exemptions Jack got...

Being the GOAT gets you some major love

Mt Rushmore of golf

Jones, Arnie, Jack, Tiger.

These guys made the game greater, each in their own way, than it would have been had they not played golf.

You always want them at an event if they want to be there.

Exactly!!!

I’d support Jack getting a 2018 exemption....not kidding

Jack and Tiger earned it...

-Chris

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

I could see the USGA taking a stand just to make a point about exactly how democratic they really are.

That stand would cost them so much money every time they make it, they would have to be brain dead.

Put me in the 'golf is a business' crowd, that understands no Tiger means less viewers, less sponsors, less advertisers.

Viewers, sponsors and advertisers will not continue to care indefinitely about a Tiger that isn't good enough to qualify on his own.

We literally JUST go through a 10 year span of Tiger not being good enough to qualify on his own, where fans, viewers, sponsors, (this site) and advertisers still flocked to him like crazy.

Tiger is a legend and will forever be an Ambassador of this sport, whether he's qualifying or not, even whether he's playing or not. Sponsors, advertisers, and viewers will follow.

One day, Tiger might join the Senior Tour, and if you don't think sponsors, viewers, and advertisers are going to follow him, then I think you're crazy.

He has been fully qualified to play the US open for the last 10 years.

Sure, but nobody has got one year after year after year, regardless of performance.

Also, exemptions are less common than they used to be. They were a regular occurrence through the 80s and 90s, and they gave out 6(!) in 2000. But only 5 for the past 13 Opens:

http://www.usga.org/...exemptions.html

Jack didn't need them until his 50s, when he was a part-time player. He was still good enough to make the cut most years.

Arnie got a farewell invite in 1994, but the rest were in the late 70s/early 80s.

Watson got 4 between 1993 and 2003, and one more in 2010 after he'd finished runner-up in the Open in 2009 (that the 2010 US Open was at Pebble also probably played a factor). He made the cut most years.

Player didn't play the US Open after 1989, although he continued to play the Open and the Masters for many years after.

And don' tforget Tiger who will get as many as he wants.

Tiger will get exemptions if needed, but if there’s one organization that exists that would deny an exemption to Tiger, it’s the USGA. They legitimately think they are bigger than Tiger and are stubborn enough to reject the millions that come with a Tiger invite.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Tiger will get exemptions if needed, but if there’s one organization that exists that would deny an exemption to Tiger, it’s the USGA. They legitimately think they are bigger than Tiger and are stubborn enough to reject the millions that come with a Tiger invite.

Is because they are mad they are bald and have no athletic ability.

Is like if Larry David ran golf.

This is absolutely true. Anyone who thinks differently is in denial in my opinion. That’s obviously conjecture on my part but the USGA is fully full of themselves and would do it just to make a point. As I’ve said multiple times, they’ll throw him a few but there is definitely a scenario where they draw the line. I’ve also acknowledged the fact that I don’t think it will be necessary in the near future. He’s not going to win this week, but he should be able to work his way into the Tour Championship and/or top 60 in the OWGR.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Tiger will get an exemption being the Presidents Cup captain...

But its obvious from this thread is that many on here won't be able to face the fact that sooner rather than later, the game will go on without Tiger...I actually think Tiger's ego will not allow himself to accept an exemption if he doesnt have a legit shot at competing at the highest level

This is simple, the USGA can extend his exemptions. He was off of the tour due to major medical issues. They can say two or three of those years he didn't play were due to the major medical and extend his invites to 10 years that he was healthy. Problem solved.

This would be the route the USGA would take if Tiger is not within the top 60 OWGR, which quite possibly is ludicrous to assume Tiger will not be top 60. Every week he makes a cut his ranking will go up. He has no tournaments rolling off of his ranking to worry about. Plus his form has been pretty good, having a shot to win a couple of tourneys so far this year.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One