Tell us your crazy Par Stories

kozubs

Here's a funny par I made one time in my club championships.

Par 5. I flaired my drive right and it looked like it went OB. I re-teed and washed my provisional in the pond on the left. Oh well, at least I get a drop.

We find my first just in bounds. Now i'm in deep rough blocked out by huge maples. Instead of punching out sideways I try for a 30 yard cut miracle shot to advance it further. I'm aimed right at the parking lot. The only cut a little. It landed on grass but we lost site of it because it flew over a small hill. I start to walk away and one of my playing partners reminds me that the PL is OB and I should hit another provisional. I try the same shot and this one works, bends around the trees and ends up in the fairway about 200 yards up.

I start walking to my provisional, and my playing partners find my first shot just inside the OB again by the PL on the left buried in the rough. I'm about 40 yards left and short of the green. I knock it onto the green and two put par. One of my partners asks in disbelief if I just pared which I had.

I hit two provisionals, 1 ball in the water and was as far left and as far right as I could be and walked away with par. That hole was a big topic of discussion afterwards in the 19th.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing too crazy for me, but maybe a little annoying and exciting at the same time.

Par 5: Solid 160yrd+ tee shot over a pond with a big tree and creek right of the landing area and trees to the left. Then it dog legs right. Driver is mostly out of play unless you are dead accurate, otherwise trouble awaits left and right.

I choose a lazy 3i shot, thin the damn thing and plunk it in the water short of the shoreline. The drop zone is basically right on the other side of the pond but not with a good angle (large tree right prevents a full shot). I skip one into the fair way and then take my 4th shot near the green. Take out my gap wedge and chip one right into the hole! Had I cleared the pond it would have been a chip in birdie, but with the penalty I had to settle for a chip in par. Still pretty cool for me!

Par 5. Tee shot goes in fairway bunker on right side of hole. Over cook my second shot to the left and it comes to rest nearly touching a tree trunk. The only play is to hit it backwards and not likely get out of the tree row or hit a left handed shot to the fairway, so I turned my wedge over (toe down) and hit a 30 yard left handed punch shot that comes to rest in a divot. Thin my fourth shot out of the divot over the green. I'm left with a 10 yard pitch from heavy rough to a short pint with a severe slope away from me with no chance of leaving it close and proceed to hole the shot!

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

Lol like everyone else so far, mine is a par 5 story. This particular par 5 is one you can gamble on if you hit it far enough. There is a big pond directly in front of the tee box that is just over 300 yards to carry. The most common way to play the hole is to hit down the fairway that runs along the left side of the pond. I usually can carry the pond but on this day I didn't catch all of it and dumped it at least 10 yards short in the water. I tee another, hit 3 wood down the left on a rope. I had 200 downwind for my 4th. I flushed a 7 iron to about 6 inches and tapped in for par. When I got back in the cart my buddy just looked at me and said "You make me sick." haha

i made a par once by hitting it in the drink, re-teeing and hitting my 4th from the fairway and holed it.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

i made a par once by hitting it in the drink, re-teeing and hitting my 4th from the fairway and holed it.

Did the exact same thing in a high school tourney

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Lol like everyone else so far, mine is a par 5 story. This particular par 5 is one you can gamble on if you hit it far enough. There is a big pond directly in front of the tee box that is just over 300 yards to carry. The most common way to play the hole is to hit down the fairway that runs along the left side of the pond. I usually can carry the pond but on this day I didn't catch all of it and dumped it at least 10 yards short in the water. I tee another, hit 3 wood down the left on a rope. I had 200 downwind for my 4th. I flushed a 7 iron to about 6 inches and tapped in for par. When I got back in the cart my buddy just looked at me and said "You make me sick." haha

Peak WRX

When I got my first handicap playing my first 18 hole round. Sixth hole par 4 404 yards. Sliced my drive in the woods and it hit a tree plum square and bounced out in the fairway. Hit a 3 wood and sliced it in the woods and it hit a tree square again and bounced out in the fairway. Sliced my third shot which hit another tree by the green and bounced out onto the front edge of the green. Holed about a 40 footer for a par. Shot 106 for a 35 handicap. Nice...

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Trust me this was a friend.

Tee shot, dead right, 150 yards into a tree. Second shot, dead solid top to 15 yards, third shot is a screaming line drive left 180 yards, under a cart, into a groove of tees, hits a tree root, bounces right, around a trap, onto the fringe. Fourth shot is a sculled screaming chip at 100mph dead into the flag stick and drops for a par!!

Opening par 5 on my home course:

Tee shot hooked into left bunker. Bunker shot off the toe 20 yards forwards, 60 yards sideways into the trees on the other side of the fairway.

3rd shot from trees catches a branch and drops in the rough alongside the trees, still 180 yards out.

4th shot hit a 5 iron but never even saw it off the club due to trees whipping back in my face. Felt like I made decent contact though, and playing partners said it's "up there" towards the green.

Get up there and it's on the fringe 30 ft from the hole. Putt from the fringe and drain it.

Had another one I had no business making par on during league play.

Very sharp dogleg right hole, the dogleg right climbs a very steep hill. If you can carry 250 you can cut the corner to drive the green.

I can't (well, I fluked it once) so chose to lay up. Unfortunately, my "safe" lay up went right into the middle of all the trees. Somehow found it on the big upslope and managed to get back out on the fairway on my first attempt. 120 out I hit a wedge to 4 ft then made the putt for par.

The guy I was playing drove the green and 3 putted, but I got a stroke on that hole so ended up winning it. He wasn't impressed.

150 yard par 3 to an island green. Chunked my tee shot into the water. Teed it up again. In the hole for a par. My brother holed a 40 footer for birdie and I didn’t even win the hole.

Took another ten years to get a real hole in one.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Can't remember any from my history as one that stands out.....but had a good one this last week.

Par 5 of course.

Topped my tee shot into some dirt about 50 yards forward. Topped my second shot from the dirt. Topped the next one down the right side of the fairway to 145 out. Pretty upset by now and it was a hot day so the ball was going deep.....I hit my PW to 30 feet pin high. Drained the putt.

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

During a 2-man best ball tournament I hit an ugly hook on a par 3 that came to rest a foot from a fence. I’m right handed, but had a lefty club in my bag as I had been been practicing left-handed the previous weekend. Pulled the lefty 8-iron, chipped to 6 feet and sunk the putt for par.

For the rules enthusiasts, I only had 13 total clubs.

I pulled a drive so far right that i was off the course, next to a shed where they store agricultural equipment and the ball sitting next to a tractor. I hit a 7 iron over trees back onto the fairway and then got up and down with a wedge.

What made this all the more impressive is i was playing in a 2-man tournament that i didn't want to pull out of, so i played with a pinched nerve in my back that i had hurt that week. My playing partner was picking up balls out of the hole for me.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Par 5 that was plus 600 yards. Slice my tee shot to within a foot of being OB. Used an iron and got back to the fairway. Still had about 400 yards to go. I hit two 3W back to back and managed to get on the lower tier of a two tier green. The hole is on the upper section about 40/45 feet away and hole the putt.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Many years ago in a tournament: par 4, hit my tee shot to the right of the fairway, I'm about 180 yards out and need to draw the ball around a large tree that's about 40 yards ahead of me. Well, I pulled my second shot and as I followed thru I hear a muted thump. Fearing the worst I look up, didn't see the ball for a milli-second and then I see the ball still rising but headed about 80 yards right of the green. Then to my disbelief the ball started curving left, came into the green at about a 30 degree angle landed next to the pin and rolled about 25 past the hole to the back left of the green, and I two-putted for par. I'd skimmed the right edge of the tree which sent it off to the right, but the gear effect gave it just the right amount of hook spin.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

In a qualifying round back in college I hit a big hook on my second shot into a pond in front of the 17th green. When I walked up closer to the green I saw a ball half buried in some mud that was above the water. This mud was about 15 feet out in the pond. It was early November and the water was cold but I took off my shoes and socks and waded out to the mud. It was my ball. I had a wedge with me and hit it like a sand shot. I didn't see where the ball went due to the flying mud but my playing partner told me it was on the green. I put my shoes and socks on and made about a 40 foot putt for my par. That par saved my round.

Was playing a short devilish 140 yard par 3 into the wind. Hit a 9 iron that got caught up in the wind and dropped just short into thick fescue/bushes (hazard) just short of the green. Switched to an 8 iron and proceeded to chunk three balls right into the middle of the hazard. Finally, out of frustration, took a six iron and blasted one over the green. Found the first ball in the bottom of a bush and played a full swing explosion to 2 inches. Easy tap-in par... :taunt:

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I have two that I can remember vividly.

1. A short par 4 in a high school tournament. I push my drive so far right the group on the next tee couldn't even hear it land. Land my next one on the green, make a par putt. My teammate was excited because he though I had an eagle (typically on that hole, the guys on the next tee box can hear it go out of bounds, mine was so far right they had no idea.)

2. Two weeks ago I hit a great drive on a par 5, had about 220 left to the pin. Wacked a house on the right side of the green after my usual draw/hook decided to not show up. My next shot ended up 5 feet from the pin and made a par.

Both times I was not sure whether to be super excited or mad at myself. Either way, I will remember them.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Two come to mind.

The first is in a high school tournament. 9th hole, par 3 to an elevated and heavily bunkered green. The hole played about 170 and I hit the ball so far right that I had 205 going into the green. Seriously. Hit a 4 iron to a foot and made the putt.

Second one comes from when the days when we used to gamble for $100/hole. Won the first 6 holes and was up $600. Second shot to a par 4 found a watery grave. My friend laughed and said he was finally going to win a hole. Dropped and then holed a wedge for par. Turned to my friend and said "That's a Dave Pelz 4." My friend said **** Dave Pelz.

And that is how DavePelz4 was born.

Peak WRX

Agreed