Who was in the wrong? Me or the "marshal"

Lots of sensitive souls in this discussion, at least when it comes to how people treat you. The level of ugliness and vitriol focused on this poor woman during this discussion suggests that many of you could give a f*** about anyone else. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Seriously, it's an 80 year old woman trying to do her job. Even if she's in the wrong, can't you laugh it off and move on with your life? Is your extra putt or two really worth getting this upset about?

Let me tell you something, it's not.

So you don’t care how people treat you? Yeah right.

This “poor”woman brought it on herself. And if she’s “trying to do her job”, then management better up their training, because it’s a piss poor way to do a job.

Here's the thing with these kinds of posts.... We the 'observers' only hear 1 perspective. The OP believed he was wronged in some way.... maybe. (Otherwise why is he asking for our approval or opinion).. We don't know what went down. It would be great to have this post followed by the marshal's post to this board about an arrogant jackhole taking loads of practice shots, not replacing or sanding divots and leaving the bunkers unraked from his 4 practice shots per hole....... and she let it slide because the course is empty, until she finally confronts him on the last green, informing him of the 'no practice policy.' There's a reason you hear from both plaintiff and defendant in court. Each story has two sides.

I'm not saying the OP is wrong in any way..... I'm not saying he is absolutely right..... I don't know his (actual) intention for posting..... I don't know if his perspective on the incident is exactly the way it went down or not. He is portraying the woman in a certain way..... He may be exactly accurate.... he may be looking for justification (from us) to go to management and exaggerating..... We don't know and never will.

Let's cool it on the lady. We all assume if it's written down. it must be the way it was..... it rarely is. We have little basis to judge here. And yet many of us do..... Often.

You’re 100% correct, there are always two sides to every story. But unles we get a different version I have no reason to not believe the OP’s version. Wouldn’t make a lot of sense to come on here and post what he did if it wasn’t truthful. He’s looking for opinions, not statements for a court date.

If the marshal had been a 50 year old man, tar and feathers wouldn’t be enough for him here. Why is it different because it’s an older lady. Rude is rude, no matter the age.

There is no difference if it's a 50 yo man (I don't believe I implied there was). I'd say the same thing if it was a man or woman.... We are only getting one side of the story.... When people are told they are in the wrong they tend to get defensive. An anonymous internet message board is a place to get affirmation. It's especially easy to find that affirmation since there is only one party with the opportunity of 'framing' the story. Such is the way of these boards- and there is no way to alter that fact. All I'm saying is it's on us, the observers here (not the OP), who don't have all the of the relevant facts to weigh this fact in our comments.

Our (the observer's) harshest criticisms directed toward the marshal (in this case an 80ish year old woman) and formation of such awful opinions without regard to ALL the factors (which we will never get) is simple overreaction to an event I believe we're not informed enough to formulate complete opinions about.

Clearly you've decided you know enough of the story to calculate 'Rude Marshall', and you may be absolutely correct. All I'm saying is the truth is rarely that simple.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like her attitude personally.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. So many threads of complaints that Marshall’s never do anything, but once one says something golfers are offended.

So it's a zero tolerance policy, no matter how ridiculous? People aren't capable of thinking for themselves these days?

Tell her "I took an unplayable and I'm re-playing my shot. You don't want me to play outside the rules of golf, do you?"

This. Then go full on in defending those rules.

Thread's been cleaned up. Reminder that curse words are not allowed, even if disguised with *** and other symbols. Please keep it PG.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

OP, at that moment, should've just apologized and moved on.

Then, at a later date, speak to other members to find out what's the deal with the lady/marshall in question & the policies that the course is trying to enforce in regards to practice & overall common sense.

If this is the usual treatment that the lady "dishes" out to members, then a brief discussion with upper management is in need. If it's not the case (maybe she was having a rough few days?), let it go... if it still irks the op a bit, then, next time you see such lady, just have a polite talk with the lady, just to express your thoughts, in a respecful manner.

Then, at a later date, speak to other members to find out what's the deal with the lady/marshall in question & the policies that the course is trying to enforce in regards to practice & overall common sense.

If this is the usual treatment that the lady "dishes" out to members, then a brief discussion with upper management is in need. If it's not the case (maybe she was having a rough few days?), let it go... if it still irks the op a bit, then, next time you see such lady, just have a polite talk with the lady, just to express your thoughts, in a respecful manner.

Why should the OP have apologized? Maybe he might have said fine and moved on, but no way is an apology in order.

A couple of years ago we were playing a course on a Wednesday....there were four of us and we were the only ones on the course as far as I could tell. Never saw anyone else. The "marshal" drove up to us on the third hole and told us we were a bit slow. He came again every few holes and said the same. At the turn he said..."You guys are doing better." We finished the front in a bit under 1.5hrs with two guys that rarely play. I politely mentioned that since we were doing "better" and we never saw anyone else playing that we didn't need any more updates...if someone complained about us please let us know... Never saw him again.

95% of marshals are idiots and fools with no common sense.

And when a 'real' issue exists.....they don't do anything because they don't want confrontation.

bottom line is a few bad apples give the rest a bad name. I marshal outside tourneys at a private course. Although I have seen some complete idiots out there I cant say 95 % of guys playing in tourneys are idiots and have no business being on course. Although after a tournament I feel that way sometimes. Two sides to every story and from my perspective the major problem is not knowing how some will respond to sarcasm, rules of course, directions, or common sense. Some people are respectful, some arrogant snobs, and some just plain trailer trash. You have to pick and choose your battles in life, this marshall with the OP didn't do that well IMO. The battles I have chose to pic included guys pissing on the outside of bathroom wall, while I was pulling up in cart. I was irritated but just asked them politely if the door was locked or something. They said oh we didn't even try to open it. Nothing more, Its not like I was going to report it or write there names down, but I wasn't just going to keep driving either. Another time a homeowner called with broken window, I knew it was someone from 1 of 2 foursomes, couldn't have been anyone else. All denied knowing anything about it. Drive away and say thanks anyway, not much you can do. I personally would have fessed up to breaking a window like most would but there always a few the ruin it for the rest.

Why should the OP have apologized? Maybe he might have said fine and moved on, but no way is an apology in order.

Ok... then DON'T apologize and move on...

People are just too damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets in a few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Ok... tben DON'T apologize and move on...

People are just to damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets ina few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Honest question here. If it had been a 50 year old man doing the “marshalling”, same exact scenario, language, and tone (as much as we can infer tone from the OP), does it change how you feel? People keep referencing “80 year old woman” like that’s some “get out jail free” card and gives carte blanche to act any way she pleases. Rules don’t apply for her?

A couple of years ago we were playing a course on a Wednesday....there were four of us and we were the only ones on the course as far as I could tell. Never saw anyone else. The "marshal" drove up to us on the third hole and told us we were a bit slow. He came again every few holes and said the same. At the turn he said..."You guys are doing better." We finished the front in a bit under 1.5hrs with two guys that rarely play. I politely mentioned that since we were doing "better" and we never saw anyone else playing that we didn't need any more updates...if someone complained about us please let us know... Never saw him again.

95% of marshals are idiots and fools with no common sense.

And when a 'real' issue exists.....they don't do anything because they don't want confrontation.

bottom line is a few bad apples give the rest a bad name. I marshal outside tourneys at a private course. Although I have seen some complete idiots out there I cant say 95 % of guys playing in tourneys are idiots and have no business being on course. Although after a tournament I feel that way sometimes. Two sides to every story and from my perspective the major problem is not knowing how some will respond to sarcasm, rules of course, directions, or common sense. Some people are respectful, some arrogant snobs, and some just plain trailer trash. You have to pick and choose your battles in life, this marshall with the OP didn't do that well IMO. The battles I have chose to pic included guys pissing on the outside of bathroom wall, while I was pulling up in cart. I was irritated but just asked them politely if the door was locked or something. They said oh we didn't even try to open it. Nothing more, Its not like I was going to report it or write there names down, but I wasn't just going to keep driving either. Another time a homeowner called with broken window, I knew it was someone from 1 of 2 foursomes, couldn't have been anyone else. All denied knowing anything about it. Drive away and say thanks anyway, not much you can do. I personally would have fessed up to breaking a window like most would but there always a few the ruin it for the rest.

Great reply here, from someone with experience.

It just seems like it should always start cordially. Even to the morons outside the restroom.

People are just to damn confrontational nowadays. Either way, it's no big deal whether OP gets ina few extra putts on the 18th hole or not and it should not be a big deal getting told to leave the green area... really the overall situation, both ways, is not a major deal and saying "sorry" in this instance to an 80 year old woman is not gonna cause any major harm to the op... sheesh!

Honest question here. If it had been a 50 year old man doing the “marshalling”, same exact scenario, language, and tone (as much as we can infer tone from the OP), does it change how you feel? People keep referencing “80 year old woman” like that’s some “get out jail free” card and gives carte blanche to act any way she pleases. Rules don’t apply for her?

DSS, it's clear that a few people commenting here don't even understand the context of the OP's question.

"I just bought a membership to a muni course..."

I think I found the issue. :)

My guess is that a muni course's idea of "membership" equates to "unlimited greens fees." This is somewhat different from membership in a private course, where you are essentially a stakeholder in the entire property and the staff defers to your desires (within reason).

From the perspective of the marshall, it probably seemed like your round was over when your first ball was holed, and anything that happened after that was "practice." If one of the rules she has been asked to enforce is "no practice on the course," then she was in the right to point out the rule.

It sounds like the way she chose to do it was rude and condescending, which would have been an issue for me too. Maybe I'd have addressed that with her, or perhaps with management, depending on her attitude. But, in my experience, if you're taking an issue to management, and your first statement is "I was breaking a course rule, but it wasn't hurting anyone," you're on a weak footing.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Or just show her the rule, 7-2.

“...he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,

b. any practice putting green, or

c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,”

Even if they have some sort of asinine “no practice” policy in place, have them look up 7-2 and tell them you’ll do what the rules allow. Because you’re at a golf course. Playing golf.

I think this alone should shut her up.

"I just bought a membership to a muni course..."

I think I found the issue. :)

My guess is that a muni course's idea of "membership" equates to "unlimited greens fees." This is somewhat different from membership in a private course, where you are essentially a stakeholder in the entire property and the staff defers to your desires (within reason).

From the perspective of the marshall, it probably seemed like your round was over when your first ball was holed, and anything that happened after that was "practice." If one of the rules she has been asked to enforce is "no practice on the course," then she was in the right to point out the rule.

It sounds like the way she chose to do it was rude and condescending, which would have been an issue for me too. Maybe I'd have addressed that with her, or perhaps with management, depending on her attitude. But, in my experience, if you're taking an issue to management, and your first statement is "I was breaking a course rule, but it wasn't hurting anyone," you're on a weak footing.

I still maintain that since OP was playing alone - it is and was a practice round - prohibited by the rules of the course. So the no practice rule doesn't make sense.

DSS, it's clear that a few people commenting here don't even understand the context of the OP's question.

U know what guys, whatever and however you guys wanna handle it is fine by me... yes, it be a little bit bothersome to get chewed out by a 50 yr old guy/starter but I'd get over it. I already made it a point to find out if this is this person normal "customer service" behavior. Nowadays, no one wants to be told anything, whether in a nice manner or rudely and with people being less tolerant and patient, confrontations have become the norm everywhere. Not saying op should be a coward, but, again, at the end of the day, to me, the overall situation is not that big of a deal. He was not treaten that his membership will be revoked... he was told, in a RUDE manner as he describes it), no practicing/get of the green. A regular problem with this marshal, then op has "grounds" to take it to upper management. A one time issue so far, not so much (imho).

Again, however the op should handle it & all your opinions are fine by me.

U know what guys, whatever and however you guys wanna handle it is fine by me... yes, it be a little bit bothersome to get chewed out by a 50 yr old guy/starter but I'd get over it. I already made it a point to find out if this is this person normal "customer service" behavior. Nowadays, no one wants to be told anything, whether in a nice manner or rudely and with people being less tolerant and patient, confrontations have become the norm everywhere. Not saying op should be a coward, but, again, at the end of the day, to me, the overall situation is not that big of a deal. He was not treaten that his membership will be revoked... he was told, in a RUDE manner as he describes it), no practicing/get of the green. A regular problem with this marshal, then op has "grounds" to take it to upper management. A one time issue so far, not so much (imho).

Again, however the op should handle it & all your opinions are fine by me.

And likewise Alfie, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s.

I don’t think anyone really thinks it is a major deal or anything to lose sleep over. Just some people are able to tolerate a little more of that rudeness than others.

The marshal was wrong, but I'm not too sure I would have pulled out the "I'm a member card" A good marshal should be able to evaluate the situation, and handle it appropriately. That being said, I would say something to the pro. Regardless of being a member, she should wait for someone to walk off the green, and just say the course really doesn't want people practicing on the course, have a good day, and hope you enjoyed your round.

I mentioned that I was a member not in the "do you know who I am" sense, but because as a member, I can play as many holes as I would like (with permission and if space is available of course). So there's no reason I couldn't have gone back and played the entire hole again or anywhere on the back nine even. Therefore, why should she care if I wanted to hit one small shot over?

And to all the "leave the old woman alone" people, she could of, and should have, left me alone and this is not an issue!

Yea I mean I think you should have absolutely used the "I'm a member" line... You said you joined the local muni so that's obviously a public course that has both members and daily fee players. There is definitely a difference between a member and a daily fee player at a muni like that and the fact that a marshal would even act like that toward a member or someone that just paid to play 18 holes is over the top. Sure, if there were people waiting to hit their second shots and they were being held up that's one thing but to act like that for someone just wanting to hit an extra putt or two with no one in sight? Most golf courses are hurting for business-- stuff like this certainly doesn't help.

Any marshal that's either getting paid or getting paid with free golf should do their best to learn who the members are... acting like that toward a member just doesn't make sense.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Recently bought a membership to the muni close to my house. Played the 18th hole, where I finished with a delicate chip. After holing the putt, took out my putter to see how I would have done if I had putted it instead of chipping it. The 80 year old marshal walked over from the first hole (had to go way out of her way) to yell at me that "this is not a practice area. If you want to practice go to the practice green!!"

It was 8:30 in the morning and it was the 18th hole. I was the only one on the back nine and was playing by myself. I have a membership, so it's not like I was getting "free" shots (I could have walked back and played the entire hole over, why should she care if hit the last putt over). I politely pointed out to her that no one was waiting and I was a member. She told me to "get off the green if I was done with the hole". Before I complain to management, I wanted to see if people agreed with me or the marshal. I almost never complain, and don't want to be "that guy", but don't want to have to deal with Barney Fife every time I play.

And this is the first time I've ever been yelled at on a course. I'm very aware of course etiquette and don't think I deserve anything special.

That's kinda crazy. It's not like there was a group right behind you waiting to hit. Heck, if I am in your situation many a time I will drop a few balls and practice chipping and putting. No one has ever said anything.

She could have said it in a hundred different ways, without being rude. After all, like others said, she should treat clients with a lot more respect. In a few days or so, you will probably find out that she's done that to a lot of people and they just ignore her.

I agree with what you said, but it almost seems like to me that she didn't have to say anything at all based on the circumstances. It almost sounds like she wanted to be empowered and a bit rude, like venting.

She could have said it in a hundred different ways, without being rude. After all, like others said, she should treat clients with a lot more respect. In a few days or so, you will probably find out that she's done that to a lot of people and they just ignore her.

I agree with what you said, but it almost seems like to me that she didn't have to say anything at all based on the circumstances. It almost sounds like she wanted to be empowered and a bit rude, like venting.

A few years ago I played a high-end course. We get to the first tee and the starter says in a stentorian voice, "This is my tee box and you will follow my rules,". It's all I could do not to burst out laughing.

A few years ago I played a high-end course. We get to the first tee and the starter says in a stentorian voice, "This is my tee box and you will follow my rules,". It's all I could do not to burst out laughing.

sometimes some things don't even need to be mentioned, I think most people will respect the Marshall to the point where they know what he wants without him saying anything. Golf feels so much better when people respect one another, and I think that's what sets it apart from other sports.

sometimes some things don't even need to be mentioned, I think most people will respect the Marshall to the point where they know what he wants without him saying anything. Golf feels so much better when people respect one another, and I think that's what sets it apart from other sports.

My local courses used to hire cranky old men as marshals. We used to always laugh, where do they get these guys from? These guys should not be dealing with the public. The marshals are much nicer today than they were 30 years ago.

I gaurantee you i would have Sean.. Thats little man syndrome if i ever heard it. people like that survive on the kindness of others.. By that i mean folks who are connected play golf.. and connected folks can say 10 words and have that persons position changed. How did he know you werent that person. ? lol But generally people just tolerate the power trips as long as they stay in bounds. But i would have laughed just to let him know how funny it was to me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My local courses used to hire cranky old men as marshals. We used to always laugh, where do they get these guys from? These guys should not be dealing with the public. The marshals are much nicer today than they were 30 years ago.

My local course has one who is mean as a snake... loud and about 80... I tamed him easily by doing this...

1. Bring him coffee on saturday mornings.

2. letting him know we share the same 1st name ( jack) .... He goes out of his way to speak to me and i think i could ask him to tee off as a single ahead of a 4 some already on the Tee , and hed cuss them out and let me go 1st..lol

have to learn how to speak grumpy old man...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My local course has one who is mean as a snake... loud and about 80... I tamed him easily by doing this...

1. Bring him coffee on saturday mornings.

2. letting him know we share the same 1st name ( jack) .... He goes out of his way to speak to me and i think i could ask him to tee off as a single ahead of a 4 some already on the Tee , and hed cuss them out and let me go 1st..lol

have to learn how to speak grumpy old man...

Beyond that - it's all about respect, they are there to help you. Treat them as you'd like to be treated; never put anyone in a position where they have to defend themselves. Wolverines in corners are very dangerous.

Easy situation to handle OP.

1. Pull cell phone with video cam out, turn it on and start "news report". "I'm here finishing on 18 with NAME OF COURSE employee, Ethel. Ethel, I am video taping you now and wanted to ask - on this completely empty course with no one waiting behind me you are telling me that I, as a member, cannot hit an extra putt or two as I finish out, is this correct?"

2. Continue video tape.

3. Hit another putt while taping.

4. If she goes off (probable) then head off with indisputable evidence to management and ask them if this is the sort of behavior you can be expecting from their staff as a new member?

5. Go to parking area and watch as she leaves despondent over the fact that the one single meaningful portion of her life since her husband and all of her friends have now passed has now been taken away from her.

Or, alternatively, you could ask another member what the deal is and act accordingly based on info provided.

I'd personally go with the alternative. Fast. Simple. Effective. Yup - pretty sure I'd just ask another member what gives and take it from there only going to management if this who issue proves worthy.

First suggestion is overkill on an 80 year old person, and would make the OP look bad really quick. Especially being a new member.

C-mon MG...

First response was pure unadulterated sarcasm meant to point out how really trivial the issue is and how simple it will be to just ask another member what the rules are, who she is, what her deal is and how he should handle it.

It's these really simple situations that amaze me.

Sorry, man. I'm missing the sarcasm. You and Jeff need more emoticons for the more thick-headed readers like myself. ;)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I too might be a little miffed at a marshal for not being nice, but you can't argue against the basic rule that she was trying to enforce: "no practice on the course." Pretty universal, pretty black and white.

We all have broken that rule from time to time, and we generally know it's wrong when we are doing it.

I'm sorry. Which Rule of Golf was that again ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Well... grammatically it would be you. Your post should read: "Who was in the wrong. The marshal, or I?"

If you’re going to bring up grammar, it’s actually, “Who was in the wrong, the marshal or me?”

Ah Haaaaaaaaaa !!!

'Fess up (or is that 'fess up ? :dntknw: ).

YOU wuz da marshal, wasn't ya ??? :taunt:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X