Biomech Acculock Ace Review

wcm115

Warning: The following review will sound like I am affiliated with Biomech (I am not) and will contain some passive bragging (sorry I am just excited)

Bought one off the BST a couple of months ago. I love it. This is not the kind of putter you go to if you are already a great putter. You are signaling to the rest of the world that you have some putting demons. My playing partners say it looks like I am putting with a garden hoe. Doesn't matter to me as long as they say it while they are handing me their money.

Setup

The setup of this putter is extremely weird at first. It took a solid week before I really got comfortable with it. It was mainly the armlock part of the putter that felt weird. I think the main problem is that my putter is only 41" and according to the website, with my height, I should have a 43" putter. I finally remedied it by gripping down on the putter almost to the steel. There is a helpful video on their website somewhere. The hole in the middle of the putter is to make sure that it is flat on the ground when you set up (also, you can pick a golf ball up with it). The stroke required is definitely straight back and straight through. This is due to the upright lie angle of the putter.

Feel

It has a solid feel. It is different than milled stainless steel (it is aluminum). If you hit the sweetspot it feels no different than a Scotty, but if you miss it a little it will make a "tink" sound that is customary with aluminum putters.

Overall Impressions:

I feel like I am using more of my hand eye coordination to putt, instead of trying to be too mechanical. Last weekend, I had my lowest round ever (bogey free (-7) 65) and won my Club Championship. Most of this was due to anything inside of 8ft being automatic. I am also making more 15' to 20'. I believe most of this is due to being able to see my line better with an open stance. I have putted with an open stance before and liked it, but my stroke did not put the best roll on the ball. This putter is designed to be used with an open stance and puts a really good roll on the ball with a sbst stroke. If you have struggled with your putting and can handle a little ribbing, I would try one of these out.

Complete Overhaul In Progress (might be epic)
Iblades 3-pw px 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*
MD2 56* and 60*
Rife Iconic
Bushnell Pro X7
b330s

"I read greens on a 3rd Grade Level"

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any other long term reviews?

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I've struggled with putting in the last year or so... Ball striking has been very good but just not rolling the ball very well.

So in a latch ditch effort I ordered the Acculock. My putting is night and day better in the limited use I've had.

I'm left eye dominant, so I've always had trouble lining the ball up. This allows me to get right on top of the ball and open the stance up a little. It just allows me to see the line so much better. It's also an effortless type putting motion. I've found that my backstroke with the putter head is WAY shorter and much more efficient. I'm accelerating through the ball so much better.

It's really changed the way I'm rolling the ball in the limited time I've had it.. Played Thursday and I had 13 putts on the back. 2 birdies in the 10-15 foot range that I just poured in.

If you're doing research on this putter I would suggest giving it a try. I love it so far.

• 1 year later...

So I have used the Acculock Ace for about a year now and find that for the amount time I am able to give to my game these days this putter is perfect.

I agree with previous posts that getting set up is the hardest part of using the putter, but once you do it feels like the way you should be setting up to everything.

The best part of this putter is its ability to assist getting long putts on line. My lag putting has improved tremendously and from 5 feet and in I am much better.

The only thing I would warn is that you need to spend a little more time than usual before each round working on speed. Using the putter makes striking the ball much easier so speed becomes paramount. I had a round the other day where I hit every putt exactly on the line I chose and I didn't sniff the hole. My speed was terrible, and it is highlighted when you strike each putt on line and still don't even come close to making anything.

My overall review is that for especially someone who has little time to work on their game this putter is a game changer, but a little more time before each round is necessary to get the whole benefit.

As a followup, I have bought three of these things and keep them in my garage to make sure if one breaks I have backups. I have heard stories that the angle of the putter head makes it easier for them to come apart. I think this comes from leaning on the putter when not in use, and if you understand where the pressure is being applied, it is not an issue, but I can easily see how someone can snap it.

TM M5 10.5 degree, Tensei Pro Orange 60X 45""
TM M4 Pro Fairway 15 degree, Tensei Blue 75Fw X 42.5"
Titleist 816H2 21 degree, Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 TS
4, 5,6,7,8,9,PW
Titleist 716 MB, Dynamic Gold S300
SW, LW
Edel hand ground wedges 55, 59 degree, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Putter
Biomech Acculock Ace 41"

• 11 months later...

Warning: The following review will sound like I am affiliated with Biomech (I am not) and will contain some passive bragging (sorry I am just excited)

Bought one off the BST a couple of months ago. I love it. This is not the kind of putter you go to if you are already a great putter. You are signaling to the rest of the world that you have some putting demons. My playing partners say it looks like I am putting with a garden hoe. Doesn't matter to me as long as they say it while they are handing me their money.

Setup

The setup of this putter is extremely weird at first. It took a solid week before I really got comfortable with it. It was mainly the armlock part of the putter that felt weird. I think the main problem is that my putter is only 41" and according to the website, with my height, I should have a 43" putter. I finally remedied it by gripping down on the putter almost to the steel. There is a helpful video on their website somewhere. The hole in the middle of the putter is to make sure that it is flat on the ground when you set up (also, you can pick a golf ball up with it). The stroke required is definitely straight back and straight through. This is due to the upright lie angle of the putter.

Feel

It has a solid feel. It is different than milled stainless steel (it is aluminum). If you hit the sweetspot it feels no different than a Scotty, but if you miss it a little it will make a "tink" sound that is customary with aluminum putters.

Overall Impressions:

I feel like I am using more of my hand eye coordination to putt, instead of trying to be too mechanical. Last weekend, I had my lowest round ever (bogey free (-7) 65) and won my Club Championship. Most of this was due to anything inside of 8ft being automatic. I am also making more 15' to 20'. I believe most of this is due to being able to see my line better with an open stance. I have putted with an open stance before and liked it, but my stroke did not put the best roll on the ball. This putter is designed to be used with an open stance and puts a really good roll on the ball with a sbst stroke. If you have struggled with your putting and can handle a little ribbing, I would try one of these out.

Just curious, are you still using the AccuLock putter? I just picked one up and only have one round in so far, but I plan on using it for the next 10 rounds to see how it goes. I am just curious if you are setting up with the putter just like they state in their training video, or if you have found another method that works well for you.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 1 month later...

Are there any other Acculock Ace putter users out there? I know it is ugly and unorthodox'd looking, but man you can really get the putts started on line. I have recently been using it with a line with small cross line on the ball and all I can say is wow...

I play with a lot of different guys in our league and I truly believe that many would benefit from trying an arm lock putter, of any kind or brand. I know almost all will not try something different, just because it is "different" from the norm. I see so many guys with bad tempo, wrists opening or closing at impact, pushes and pulls on short putts etc. We count putts a lot and I see so many guys with 16-20 putts for 9 holes and the guys with 16 putts are not hitting a lot of GIR so there are lot of missed putts under 6'.

The link below is great story on Webb Simpson and his improvement since going to an arm lock putter, and it also mentions a few of the other players using the style.

https://sports.yahoo.com/webb-simpson-apos-arm-anchoring-231131641.html

If you ever think you are "giving away" some strokes due to good reads but bad application of your stroke from 10' and in, give an arm lock putter a try, you might surprise yourself.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 1 month later...

Another Biomechanics Acculock user here. I’ve had one for maybe 2 months and have golfed a lot in that time. Typically, I’ve been a relatively poor putter. I get in streaks where I miss short putts, and I get in streaks where I lag poorly. I have over a dozen putters in my house, and rotate thru them at least once a month, if not weekly.

I finally decided to try something different and picked up a biomech. I had an odyssey armlock putter from 5 years ago but never was able to feel comfortable with it. The biomech is lighter and more upright than the odyssey.

Anyway, I can say that my putting from inside of 10 feet has improved dramatically. From 3-6 feet I was always very shaky. Now, I am fairly confident from this range, and without a doubt much improved. From 10-20 feet I would say I’m a small to moderate amount better. However, lag putts from 30 feet plus are harder.

Also, I’ve found it actually easier to hit quicker or downhill putts. I’ve had more struggles leaving long uphill lags either 8 feet short or blasting it 8 feet past in order to compensate.

That said, my lagging has improved over time. It’s obviously trickier because of the way it locks to your arm and requires all shoulder to power your stroke.

All in all, I’ve found this biotech putter has significantly improved my putting and overall scoring. I’ve basically grown used to the fact that I would miss a few short par putts and miss a few 10 foot birdie putts every round. With the biotech I’m happily pleased to see those outside the cup 5 footers lip in, and drain a decent number of my 10-15 footers.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Biomechanics Acculock user here. I've had one for maybe 2 months and have golfed a lot in that time. Typically, I've been a relatively poor putter. I get in streaks where I miss short putts, and I get in streaks where I lag poorly. I have over a dozen putters in my house, and rotate thru them at least once a month, if not weekly.

I finally decided to try something different and picked up a biomech. I had an odyssey armlock putter from 5 years ago but never was able to feel comfortable with it. The biomech is lighter and more upright than the odyssey.

Anyway, I can say that my putting from inside of 10 feet has improved dramatically. From 3-6 feet I was always very shaky. Now, I am fairly confident from this range, and without a doubt much improved. From 10-20 feet I would say I'm a small to moderate amount better. However, lag putts from 30 feet plus are harder.

Also, I've found it actually easier to hit quicker or downhill putts. I've had more struggles leaving long uphill lags either 8 feet short or blasting it 8 feet past in order to compensate.

That said, my lagging has improved over time. It's obviously trickier because of the way it locks to your arm and requires all shoulder to power your stroke.

All in all, I've found this biotech putter has significantly improved my putting and overall scoring. I've basically grown used to the fact that I would miss a few short par putts and miss a few 10 foot birdie putts every round. With the biotech I'm happily pleased to see those outside the cup 5 footers lip in, and drain a decent number of my 10-15 footers.

Do you put with the BioMech with an open stance as they show on their website, or a regular square to the line stance? I started out with the open stance but have also been trying sure to the ball stance and getting good results, just curious of your process.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 7 months later...

Another update, after another half season of use. I’ve gotten very comfortable with this putter. My initial lag issue has resolved. Actually I find that I lag fairly well with the biomech. Under 10 feet it has proven to be a great putter for me. I keep an open stance. However, I used to line the ball up very far back, just inside of my rear foot. Now, I line up still back in my stance, past the midline, but not all the way to my back foot. I’ve found that I get a better lock and golf with my left arm at this position. It seems to swing more naturally for me.

Bottom line, it has been a real success for me, and I’ve stopped buying new putters. Now I’m just looking at buying backups.

I hope I like this putter as much as you do KSP.... I just received mine a couple of days ago. My putting has been really bad this year, and it's time to try something entirely different. Now if it would only stop raining...

Cobra LTDX driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 4-A

Sub 70 JB Forged 54/58/62

Lock N Roll Putter 

First round in with this sucker... and while it's early... it was a big winner. My putting has been pretty bad this season... more three putts than I've had in years. I had 4 three putts last Sunday on the back 9 alone. Probably been averaging 2 to 3 three putts per round this year. Average putts per round sits at 31.9 for the season. I do realize putts per round is not a "tell all" stat about one's putting as chipping the ball closer to the hole helps a lot. I did chip well today but I also putted WAY better than I have all year. I got to the course earlier than usual today as I knew I needed to get some practice in with this new putter since it's setup and stroke are so different than "normal". I spent about 20 minutes or so on the practice green (which is long for me). Well, 3.5 hours later, I ended up with 26 putts for the round. Zero three putts and made everything from 8 feet an in. Even the longer putts I missed ended up in easy tap in range. I was concerned that I would have trouble on longer putts with the distance control but (albeit only 1 round) that was not the case. The makeable putt range of 4-10 feet is where this thing shined today. The stroke is so simple and definitely a straight back-straight thru motion. Not once did I have a putt where I say to myself (or out loud) "I pulled that one, or I pushed that one". It's virtually non-existent with this thing. My only complaint and it's not really a complaint... is the feel or sound. Coming from a Cleveland Huntington Beach putter that is super duper soft... this putter doesn't feel like that. Thankfully, it doesn't feel harsh either or have a high pitched "ping" sound at impact. It feels good... really good... just not top notch. But after 1 round... I give it an A rating. It would be an A plus if not for the previously mentioned feel/sound. But it's not going anywhere for awhile. I'll give it a good 2 to 3 week trial run and hopefully I can solve my putting issues with this thing.

Cobra LTDX driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 4-A

Sub 70 JB Forged 54/58/62

Lock N Roll Putter 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just want to bump this up and see if there are any more reviews

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

• 1 year later...

Just received mine this week. The setup is different, but I’m going to give it some time over the winter. I’ve never used an arm lock putter before, but wanted to get both hands on the putter again. I’ve been using a broomstick for the last 30 years off and on, so this may make the bag. I like the fact that the stroke is more compact and it takes the hands out of the stroke. I’ll update as my practice continues. 

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 3 Wood w/ TD-70-S

TaylorMade Stage2 Tour 19* Fujikura Tour Spec VC 6.2

Mizuno Fli hi 4-w/Steelfiber 80-S

Mizuno 225, 5-PW with Modus 105-S

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Titleist ProV1/ 

On 12/26/2020 at 12:16 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Any new users?

Ive been seeing Todd Graves enthused about it on his golf channel.

Yeah, I saw that as well. He's promoting it as it's the closest to the one plane. If you look at his latest video, the setup looks identical as when you do his one plane chipping. 

But as someone who use to arm lock putt many years ago and still have arm lock putters in my putter bag, I am just going to stick with my Directed Force. Putting is the least practiced part of my game and probably my best and I like the technology of Bill Presse's lie balance. When I had arm lock, distance control was always an issue back then.

As well, sound is important to me and the "tunk" of this putter is off putting. I guess I'll keep this part of my game non-single plane but theoretically, it is single plane because the putter is swinging on plane in order to be lie balance. Horses for courses, I guess. Who knows, if I find one for $80 in some BST I may well pick one up for fun. After all my broomstick AGSI putter needs a tall companion 😀

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 1/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, artist08 said:

I’d certainly like to try this putter out, but the website claims they’re out of stock.  I put one in the cart and the shipping and tax was way more than I expected (even after the discount code).  

What is the discount code? Was just about to pull the trigger on this putter but $35 for shipping is too high.