Spoiled by being a member of a golf club

Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭
I am playing almost always only at my club and realize how spoiled I am. It is a "top tier" club and very lucky to have joined when they opened up the membership and made the initiation minimal.

Prior I too was lucky and play a lot of good courses and had a standing invite to what was a top-rated facility where we knew the GM/VP and were invited late days with tournaments off the course.

I am not a snob at all (at least didn't think I was) but went back to that old course and thought meh....... Granted they are letting it go, but just was not the course I remembered.

This is not the first time this has happened and wondering am I now a snob, as I look at our course and am complaining (under my breath) that our reciprocals are all not at the same standards and that I'd rather play my course than spend more then $50 on any invite (average A tier public courses are $100+ here).

Comments

• FiveSixAceFiveSixAce Members Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    First world problems I guess?
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,606 ✭✭

I am playing almost always only at my club and realize how spoiled I am. It is a "top tier" club and very lucky to have joined when they opened up the membership and made the initiation minimal.

Prior I too was lucky and play a lot of good courses and had a standing invite to what was a top-rated facility where we knew the GM/VP and were invited late days with tournaments off the course.

I am not a snob at all (at least didn't think I was) but went back to that old course and thought meh....... Granted they are letting it go, but just was not the course I remembered.

This is not the first time this has happened and wondering am I now a snob, as I look at our course and am complaining (under my breath) that our reciprocals are all not at the same standards and that I'd rather play my course than spend more then $50 on any invite (average A tier public courses are $100+ here).

How lucky you are to be a member of a Top Tier course!

The rock pile that I play on is the best I can do; but someday...!
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,570 ✭✭
    I’d say one isn’t a snob at all if they prefer the better things of the world. However when they begin to tell everyone that things less than theirs are to be looked down upon then that person is a snob.

Wonder no more....
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,877 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #5
    ^^^^

This

As you get older...there those who are lucky enough to progress in their careers and increase their household income to a point where they can enjoy some things they previously couldn't. Some folks used to eat ramen noodles in their early 20's and now can enjoy and appreciate sushi. Some folks used to drive a beater and now savor the daily commute in their BMW or Lexus. As your income increases...typically, your lifestyle does as well and the things you consume, experience and appreciate change over time. The balance is not letting your lifestyle obsession outstrip your growth in income (living too heavily in debt and not building wealth)...but that is a different discussion.

All that said, it's not a bad thing to appreciate nicer things, but those people who brag about their ability to live a certain lifestyle or look down upon others who cannot afford those nicer things truly need a lesson in humility.
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,736 ✭✭
    You are a golf snob, but that's ok, you've earned the golf membership you have. And never feel guilty for your own success. Actually, we all want to be the snob you speak of, including myself, someday image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

sooooo.........need a 4th?

Skaffa77 wrote:

^^^^

This

As you get older...there those who are lucky enough to progress in their careers and increase their household income to a point where they can enjoy some things they previously couldn't. Some folks used to eat ramen noodles in their early 20's and now can enjoy and appreciate sushi. Some folks used to drive a beater and now savor the daily commute in their BMW or Lexus. As your income increases...typically, your lifestyle does as well and the things you consume, experience and appreciate change over time. The balance is not letting your lifestyle obsession outstrip your growth in income (living too heavily in debt and not building wealth)...but that is a different discussion.

All that said, it's not a bad thing to appreciate nicer things, but those people who brag about their ability to live a certain lifestyle or look down upon others who cannot afford those nicer things truly need a lesson in humility.

agreed.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,285 ✭✭

I'd say one isn't a snob at all if they prefer the better things of the world. However when they begin to tell everyone that things less than theirs are to be looked down upon then that person is a snob.

Wonder no more....

Amen. Being a snob isn't so much about you preferences for higher quality. Being a snob is about how you treat other people, the ones who either don't share your preferences, or can't afford them.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,981 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2018 #8
    If you think being a member at a country club is bad, try owning your own jet. You get to the point where you will not fly commercial. I would not lose sleep about preferring your course, there is always snobbier hierarchies.
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,414 ✭✭
    The point is I feel spoiled by the club and why I posted. I was joking about being a snob (in context to saying I am lucky and spoiled).....
  • Jab3384Jab3384 Members Posts: 641
    I just had my personal assistant's assistant read this thread to me... thanks for the chuckle chap!
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,814 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #11
    Skaffa77 wrote:

^^^^

This

happy to have driven Ferraris since age 15 to now...still play public courses...avoid the country clubs at all cost...dislike the sameness, everyone looks like a chip off mutton block. act the same, have to behave this way...all that pretense when most are just barely trying to keep up with the jones's ...some are great people...age or progress has little to do with it,
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    It's good to take pride in ownership. I'd only offer that if you seek variety maybe consider a golf vacation. There are many fine courses around the world.

I don't think preferring to play the course you are a member at over others that aren't as well maintained or interesting to you doesn't make you a snob. I think being a snob implies something about how you treat others. You could be a member at Augusta and not be a snob if you treated others courteously.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,814 ✭✭
    evgolfer wrote:

It's good to take pride in ownership. I'd only offer that if you seek variety maybe consider a golf vacation. There are many fine courses around the world.

I don't think preferring to play the course you are a member at over others that aren't as well maintained or interesting to you doesn't make you a snob. I think being a snob implies something about how you treat others. You could be a member at Augusta and not be a snob if you treated others courteously.

isn't that reverse arrogance too?
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,877 ClubWRX
    Man_O_War wrote:

evgolfer wrote:

isn't that reverse arrogance too?

Wouldn't the reverse of arrogance be humility?
  • me05501me05501 Members Posts: 412 ✭✭
    I think "spoiled" is probably the right word.

A good club provides benefits that you don't even expect at first. And once those things have been provided for awhile, you *do* come to expect them. And then perhaps you come to expect even a few things that aren't provided. It's a slippery slope. It can ruin you for lesser experiences.

On the flip side, you can also spoil club membership IMO. Depending on how you're wired, you can either enjoy and appreciate the benefits proportionately and appropriately, or you can become obsessed with "getting your money's worth." It can start to eat up more of your time than it deserves. That's been my experience, which is why I don't belong to a club now. I have other interests that are just as deserving of my time and money, and neither of my sons have any interest in golf.
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #16
    I'm in the honeymoon phase, but really appreciate the grooming, design, playability and almot everything about it.

After 18 I'm always asked how did I enjoy myself, and respond "how can I not" sheepishly as I am playing and they are working.

Was just an observation as the kids are grown and 80% of rounds are at my pace and my schedule.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,948 ✭✭
    Another well done troll post. These guys are getting good.
  • duffer987duffer987 There sure are a lot Richards around here without Ignore. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,226 ✭✭
    I love 'top tier' clubs when they open up their doors and drop their initiation fee.

Me and Chuck (you might know him better as Charles, Charles Schwab) were having a cocktail one afternoon after a round, looking out over Monterey Bay and I couldn't help but bug him about that deal I got compared to him paying full whack.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,811 ✭✭

The point is I feel spoiled by the club and why I posted. I was joking about being a snob (in context to saying I am lucky and spoiled).....
    I'm sure you are paying to be spoiled.
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭
    If you're playing in "Under2hours", then I want to join your club too.
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,371 ✭✭
    Waiting for pepper to appear
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.

If you're playing in "Under2hours", then I want to join your club too.

First out as a group walking on the weekend 3 hours or less....... Late aftenoon/early evening walking 2 hours (maybe 2:15), but a tough walk. POP 4:10 (being posted daily)...... Course is busy too, but seldom issues in finding tee times.
  • tanker44tanker44 Mid-AtlanticMembers Posts: 323 ✭✭
    I grew up on all types of golf courses. For past six years I paid yearly fee at semi-private club that was pretty nice. Then this year I took advantage of an under 40 deal at a fully private club. This fully private club has 45 holes of golf, two ranges, three short-game areas and three putting greens. I play in 3 hours 7 days a week at anytime of day.... and it cost the same as the semi-private club. Maybe some people don't like being contracted to a club. Anyways, not sure if I am a snob but I now think less of golf clubs with only 18 holes of golf and only one range... hahahahaaaaa. Thats a joke. Sort of.
    TM M2 2016 9.5*  Fuji Pro 53
    TM M2 2017 15* UST Proforce V2
    Cobra Black Utility 18*
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

• Matchplay10033Matchplay10033 Members Posts: 626 ✭✭
    I just joined a private club a few weeks ago. I am wishing I did it a decade ago. When I would get done work I would rush to one of the public courses and often find the tee swamped and the entire course swamped. It would be a 4-5 hour round after work and I would be drained. With my club I can go at anytime and can finish my 18 in 3 hours. On weekends the course has a ton of different groups and matches you can play and even better is the pro shop opens at 8. So if your a walker you can literally tee off at sunrise and be done by 930. I am not a snob by any means and still play a good deal of golf at the public courses but I will become spoiled by the convenience of my club.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭
    In my experience if you wonder twice if you’re a snob in the same post, I think you have legitimate concern
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)